Pep Guardiola genious or lucky ?

What is the secret behind Guardiola succsess ?

• He is a genious

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • He is lucky to be managing such a good team

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

jamescfc

Banned
Reaction score
On one of my threads i was having a discussion about pep guardiola.

What he has achived is incredable. Yougest ever manager to win champions league. First to win the sixtuple etc.

Is he a genious or is this sucess down simply to him being lucky enough to manage one of the best teams ever assembled.

I dont think you can ever tell. You look at Rijkaard who won everything and dominated but has struggled to hold down a job since. I think its abit of both but i dont think we will really know how good he is until he manages somwhere else.

Just put it this way:

He inherited a team that had been overhauled within the last five years that Rijkaard was in-charge, and had deployed the youth from their own academy in the likes of Puyol, Xavi and Messi to start creating a new blanket that would replace the old guard. He continued on the preferred tactical styles of a fluid and attacking 4-5-1 and put Messi into the trio with Eto'o, Henry and Ronaldinho (when they were there). With it, he has won many titles, achieved undeniably difficult feats and made Barcelona stronger. He wasn't really lucky to become the manager of Barcelona, because he was under the tutelage of Rijkaard anyway, so it wasn't that difficult a decision for Laporta to appoint him - as well as the fact that he had his coaching badges already and was tailor-made.

Guardiola is a good manager. We cannot take that away from him. Managing Barcelona is a dream, as well as a challenge, so what he has won and achieved is all taken in a good stride. But had it not been for Rijkaard and his philosophies of deploying the 4-5-1, the introduction of youth players such as Messi, and the disposal of the old and frail, we may never had seen the Barcelona of today. Can't really call him a genius, but we can't dispute that he was lucky either.

I I think its abit of both but i dont think we will really know how good he is until he manages somwhere else.

I agree with CJACKO here he's managing the best team in the world. Lets see how he fairs somewhere else

Rijkaard was struggling to win the league each year against Real and wasnt playing the same standard football as Guardiola. Guardiola has managed to get the best out of his team as well as developing a high pressure front 3 and obviously spent a while thinking of and perfecting this pressure system where he gets the DMs to drop and fullbacks to help the front three create pressure.

30% Genius, 70% Luck.
He never changes tactics. He's just found 1 tactic that suits his players and stop other teams playing, and never changes. Suppose you can argue "Don't fix what ain't broken", but all he's really done is found a tactic for the players that he inherited. Not so much Genius.

Barça had already a very powerful team, but Rijkaard didn't manage to win the league. So I think Guardiola took a great part in managing Barcelona. He had the courage to offload players such as Deco and Ronaldinho and he won 6 titles which is very impressive. I think that Guardiola is a really good manager although his transfer ideas weren't that good

30% Genius, 70% Luck.
He never changes tactics. He's just found 1 tactic that suits his players and stop other teams playing, and never changes. Suppose you can argue "Don't fix what ain't broken", but all he's really done is found a tactic for the players that he inherited. Not so much Genius.

So basically any manager that doesnt use 2 tactics aren't good. He didnt inherit the tactic at all. he inherited the formation maybe(not really) but he has completely changed their pressure system and even how they break teams down. Xavi was never a superstar under Rijkaard but now he is. Of course if you come up with a tactic that has so far been near perfect then why would you change it

Almost exactly what iNickStuff said. You can't deny he's been lucky to inherit such a fine squad, but he's moulded them into a truly formidable team.

30% Genius, 70% Luck.

So what exactly was Zlatan Ibrahimovic if he wasn't a plan B then?

I'm not saying that he is bad manager but he is lucky,he never managed some small club and make success or some surprising achievements...you know,just my opinion.

bit of both in my opinion but still lucky to what the manager started before him. With Messi and youth players.

Almost exactly what iNickStuff said. You can't deny he's been lucky to inherit such a fine squad, but he's moulded them into a truly formidable team.

So what exactly was Zlatan Ibrahimovic if he wasn't a plan B then?

A lazy, inconsistent Swedish striker.

Where was plan B against Inter? ;)

30% Genius, 70% Luck.

wouldnt you do that if you was a manager or a good team and you knew it worked so you could win trophies ?

Pep Guardiola 90% WORK, 10% LUCK. Work is the basis of his sucess, he's no genius but he IS an excellent coach and also man manager, he knows the club inside out and serves it above else, can't ask for much more.

Used, but ineffective. Guardiola made a mistake. Playing Ibra against the likes of Samuel and Lucio was never going to work. In his plan A (Messi, Pedro et al) he had a tailor made frontline to disrupt the Inter defence of aerially dominant but mobility-challenged hard men. He used Ibra to challenge them in the air, which patently didn't work.

It's clearly not as simple as either he was lucky or he's a genius. To think there is and to start a thread just because someone claimed Guardiola wasn't "world-class" or whatever it was is just stupid tbh.

It's not the hardest thing in the world to take a team like Barcelona, who have been playing the same way for years and to succeed with them in one of the least competitive leagues in the world IMO. Their Plan B literally seems to just be Messi running through an entire defence (not that they need a Plan B very often) and Guardiola has hardly dished out many tactical master-classes.

Having said that - he's done well to transform Messi from a wide player into a more complete forward to lead the line and must be doing something right to get a player like Pedro to play so well...

How many teams have gone to the Nou Camp and parked the bus like Inter did but still been destroyed by Barca. You can't win them all I suppose. I don't see the point in Guardiola being more tactically diverse with Barca when he's found one that the players are comfortable and successful with and it rarely fails. Barca do not need a plan B.

Both. Lucky to inherit a phenomenal squad, genius to get them playing the magical stuff they have been.