Pirlo is way underrated in this game.

mnk26

Reaction score
I just wanted to state that Andrea Pirlo, while he has some good stats in FM, simply does not play anywhere near the level of his real talent. He has been THE dominant player in the Euro, and was key in leading Juventus to an undefeated title season.
I may have just been using him incorrectly in FM, but in the first season of my Juventus team I tried him in a number of different roles and rarely saw him get above a 6.8 rating.
That's just my two cents, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this or if you disagree

I just wanted to state that Andrea Pirlo, while he has some good stats in FM, simply does not play anywhere near the level of his real talent. He has been THE dominant player in the Euro, and was key in leading Juventus to an undefeated title season.
I may have just been using him incorrectly in FM, but in the first season of my Juventus team I tried him in a number of different roles and rarely saw him get above a 6.8 rating.
That's just my two cents, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this or if you disagree

seconded, but, did you try him in the defensive midfield position as a DLP, in a 433 (with wingers)? he was pretty good in that position for me, but is much better in real life, his stats go way down on the game aswell.

View attachment 256764

i now start m'vila ahead of him, he is one of the best midfielders in the world and he's not that great on the game...

Have you seen his stats? certainly isnt under-rated, a question of deploying him properly, and setting your side up right

Those stats are about accurate to how he played when current FM was made. His current season is stellar but he was somewhat fading before. That and at his age, stats in the game can drop rapidly.

Those stats are about accurate to how he played when current FM was made. His current season is stellar but he was somewhat fading before. That and at his age, stats in the game can drop rapidly.

Yeap had injury problems in Milan and now had good fit season.

Have you seen his stats? certainly isnt under-rated, a question of deploying him properly, and setting your side up right

Fair enough, from what I've seen in real life his passing and first touch could be a little better, but of course I'm not really qualified to determine what makes a player have passing 18 instead of 17.

My point was basically that he is truly a world class player, and in the game I think his stats are more along the lines of very good instead of world class. And I did mainly use him as a DLP, I guess my overall tactics just didn't cut it but he never performed for me all season and ended up retiring shortly into the second season since I wasn't playing him.

Edit: Another stat I absolutely think should be better is Anticipation, when you watch him play he always seems to know what is about to happen about 20 seconds before it does. It should be higher than a fairly average 13 or 14 that it is.

Fair enough, from what I've seen in real life his passing and first touch could be a little better, but of course I'm not really qualified to determine what makes a player have passing 18 instead of 17.

My point was basically that he is truly a world class player, and in the game I think his stats are more along the lines of very good instead of world class. And I did mainly use him as a DLP, I guess my overall tactics just didn't cut it but he never performed for me all season and ended up retiring shortly into the second season since I wasn't playing him.

as a dlp, his key stats are all world class,

To get the best from Pirlo, you need to do what they do in real life:

1) take him out of the firing line - DMC

2) playmaker - personally i would go with DLP/support

3) use a style that allows him to pass all around the pitch. Assuming we use the TC, default or direct passing

4) make sure he has good amounts of creative freedom

5) make sure you have a mobile aggressive MC, to do all the dirty work and tackling

6) make sure you have good out balls for him at all ranges. this is the hardest bit, requires you to watch the games on extended, or even full at first. see where your players are, make sure they are not all making forward runs.

7) look after him, he cannot play way too much

A playmaker is only as good as his options. If you dont give him any, his immense passing counts for nothing

Last edited:
TBH I don't think they based last years game on the last week.

Edit: Another stat I absolutely think should be better is Anticipation, when you watch him play he always seems to know what is about to happen about 20 seconds before it does. It should be higher than a fairly average 13 or 14 that it is.

I agree about anticipation. 14 is good, but more around 16, coupled with his extremely high decision creativity flair etc

TBH I don't think they based last years game on the last week.

Of course I know this.....but after his excellence all season in Serie A I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of his mentals are a little higher in FM 13.
I take back the "way underrated" I used in the title in this thread, you guys have convinced me that they might not be too far off. But I still think he is at least a bit underrated.

Last edited:
Hey, at least this is just in a video game.

Milan let him go for free and it cost them Serie A title just year later. Now that's "way underrating" someone!

For me at least, players like him never get the best ratings either, since they usually play the 'pass before the assist'. You notice the difference or appreciate them when they're not playing or watch the full game.

Or I just suck.

For me at least, players like him never get the best ratings either, since they usually play the 'pass before the assist'. You notice the difference or appreciate them when they're not playing or watch the full game.

Or I just suck.

No this is a very important point about the ratings. Do not use the match ratings to judge players like Pirlo. They do not rewards players like this

No this is a very important point about the ratings. Do not use the match ratings to judge players like Pirlo. They do not rewards players like this

Really annoys me too. I'm delighted if my DLP gets 7.2 average for a season, I'll take 7 as long as he does his job though.

Completely right, it's all this invisible work that is often not rewarded as it should be.

Or I just suck.

Completely right, it's all this invisible work that is often not rewarded as it should be.
It is something that has long been complained about and they are looking into it for FM13 so we will see.

But let's be fair, it's not also exactly easy to quantify! Even so I have faith that a better job can be done, I think the team has been improved, or at least enlarged!

It is something that has long been complained about and they are looking into it for FM13 so we will see.

But let's be fair, it's not also exactly easy to quantify! Even so I have faith that a better job can be done, I think the team has been improved, or at least enlarged!

yeah its not easily balanced. But at least they not the issue is there. And yes it has been, 16 new positions, 10 of which are filled