Pickles1984

Reaction score
PIX POSSESSION v3

Afternoon all

I've created a tactic for my United side that has proved really successful for me. Had a couple of seasons of tweaking it (as you'll see, I'm onto v3 now!) when I finished 3rd and 3rd, but have won 6 titles since and just won my third Champions League in a row.

The formation is based around attacking creativity and giving the players in more advanced positions the freedom to express themselves. My last season had my front 4 (striker, two attacking midfielders and right midfielder) score 124 goals and get 100 assists between them.

Sat in behind them is a box-to-box or ball winning midfielder (chose whichever suits your personnel best) whose job is to win the ball and play it short to the creative players. And in behind him is a deep lying playmaker who gets the ball of the centre halves and again, gives it forward for the front four to do their damage.

On the right wing is the "out ball". Free to roam from his position as he has the insurance on a tough full back behind him, he joins the attack from wide wherever possible. The left back, is a wing back (as there is no left midfielder) and he bombs forward wherever possible - covered by the centre halves and the two central midfielders.

I know this place likes endless screenshots of this, that and the other so tell me what you want to see and I'll sort it out as I'd really like some other people to try the tactic to hopefully see it's not just one that works in my save, with my side.

Not going to lie, it does rely on fairly competent players, so I doubt it'll be successful in the lower leagues. But I'd like to see how it does in other leagues, or with other Premiership clubs.

The tactic is attached. As I said, if you want screenshots, just let me know what of and where is the best place to host them easily (and for free!)

View attachment 412912

View attachment 412935

Last edited:
Without wanting this thread to be closed (reading the info in the sticky after starting this probably not ideal!), my main reasoning for making a formation like this was to get Mata, Rooney and RVP into the same side somehow. Rooney and RVP are long gone - I have a Portuguese striker and Bernard from Shakhtar now - but Mata is still there and thrives in the playmaker role, even if he is getting on a bit.

Your left back with need to have good stamina, as he's up and down non-stop. your right winger (mine is Januzaj) should be a good dribbler and pacey. The ball winner needs to be tough, a good team player and have a fairly high decisions attribute. Your striker should be good off the ball, ideally quick and have the usual striker attributes (composure, finishing). In behind, just get the most creative players you can who are composed and make good decisions.

At centre back, I have one stopper and one who covers him. The covering defender should be quick should he be called upon and the stopper should be big and strong. I had Vidic as my stopper (now Mangala) and Smalling and my cover (now Varane) to give you an example.

Argh, does it not work if you right click on them and "open in new tab"?

Wow, just wow!

In year 2021 with best player in each position you want to share your tactic....jesus christ XD

Is it for the new patch mate, try testing this from the start of the game

My save has covered 14.2 and 14.3. My latest season was on 14.3. The football my team has been playing has (aesthetically at least) looked a lot better since the patch.

and Diavolo, I made it pretty clear in my OP that I appreciate I have a good side and am a big club and therefore the point of uploading this was to see if it would be any good with other clubs, so wind you neck in. :)

A 37 year old Robin van Persie scored the winner for Wigan against me :(

Also, there were a few defeats near the end of the season and I think that was down to fatigue, if you look at how regularly we were playing. Apart from the FA Cup Final - Chelsea were just better than me that game.

Last edited:
If anyone is going to give this tactic a go, I'd be really appreciative of any feedback as to how you are getting on with it - good or bad - as I said, I'm intrigued to see if it works for other clubs at differing levels/in different leagues.

I'd suggest spending pre-season with the players training heavily on tactics and team cohesion so that they can get familiar with the set up.

Opposition instructions I just leave to my assman (even if it is Steve Round XD ) and training as well. However, I do take control in pre-seasons to train heavily on tactics and team cohesion.

Might struggle to get Suarez and Sturridge in the same starting XI - unless you play Suarez in the AMC (on the right hand side) position. Coutinho should be a monster as the playmaker and Sterling could run riot on the right wing. Should work nicely with them. Let me know how you get on.

To appease the idiot on the previous page (and myself to some extent) I have resigned from Man Utd and taken the job at mid table La Liga side, Espanyol in the summer of 2021. Completely different challenge, so let's see what this tactic can do...(H)

That's not the point mate, the game will be full of amazing regens, ask any great tactic maker on here Jassar etc they will tell you most great tactics are made from the start of the game [Dont take this the wrong way]