Player Preferred Moves Guide: A Definitive Look (pending Re-write for FM12)

Mike.

Staff member
Reaction score
Mike's Guide to Player PPMs

What are Player Preferred Moves?

Player preferred moves are traits, or styles, that a certain player can exhibit. Whether its the ability to dictate tempo, or place shots in the corner, these traits play a role in making (or breaking) a player

Are they good or bad?

They are neither, PPMs are largely subjective, depending on what you want from the player and what role he is playing, we will look at this more in detail

List of Player Preferred Moves

Dives into tackles: will look to go to ground more in the tackle, good for aggressive sides, however poor decision making can leave you exposed, or result in a booking or sending off.

Does not dive in to tackles: will look to stay on his feet when winning the ball, may not always make a strong challenge when its needed.

Marks opponent tightly: Will look to stick tightly to his designated man, particularly if playing a man marking game.

Stays back at all times: The player will always hold his defensive position, and not seek to break into space

Gets forward whenever possible: Will look to get forward and break into attacking space

Comes deep to get ball: will drop off to create that little bit of space for himself and link with deeper players, particularly good for passing defensive midfielders and central midfielders, as it gives extra space to find the pass, and strikers as they drop away from their marker forcing him to hold position and possibly allow a shooting opportunity, or follow him and be dragged out of positions.

Plays no through balls: The player will not look to split side with passes through the middle.

Tries killer balls often: Probably the second most important PPM for any playmaker, requires good decision making, passing, flair and creativity, the player will look to make defence splitting passes.

Dictates Tempo: The Playmaker's PPM. This player will look to be you Maestro and control the game. A must for
any Xavi/Scholes wannabes

Plays One-Twos: Will look to incite pass and move plays

Looks for pass rather than attempting to score: very good for creative players who have poor finishing/long shots (Anderson), as they’ll look to play in teammates, will generate a lot of assists.

Dwells on ball: He will look slow the game down a little give himself extra time to pick out the pass

Stops play: Good for very low tempo possession based football, will look to take the sting out of the game, however, it can kill a flowing move. If you are looking to play quick football, particularly counter-attacking football, make sure your player unlearns this.

Plays short simple passes: Will make short passes to nearby team mates, but generally less keen on long raking passes. Generates a high pass completion rate

Tries long range passes: The player will look to play long raking passes across the pitch.

Switches ball to other flank: Like to change the direction of attack with long lateral passes

Runs rarely with ball: The play will not look to bring the ball past players, will look to pass more often.

Runs with ball often: looks to dribble at any opportunity.

Runs with ball down left: The player will favour dribbling and attacking players down the left hand side

Runs with ball down right:The player will favour dribbling and attacking players down the right hand side

Runs with ball through centre: will look to run at the heart of the opposition defence. Great for quick skilful strikers and attacking midfielders and central midfielders, giving them the ability to beat often beat two or three players before shooting.

Hugs line: The player will stick to the byline will look to burst down the line before looking for the cross

Cuts inside: Important for Inside Forwards and good for wingers with strong opposite feet (i.e. strong right foot for left sided players and vice versa), will look to drive in at goal from their flank.

Moves into channels: will look to move into lateral space as much as possible, either between the centre backs, or between fullbacks and centre backs.

Shoots from distance: will shoot from all areas of the pitch

Shoots with power: Goes for power over precision. Once hit, the ball stays hit and if it’s on target will more often than not beat the keeper

Places shots: top PPM for technical strikers with good composure, they will convert a very high percentage of their chances.

Likes to lob keeper: Good PPM for quick technical strikers getting through on one on ones.

Likes to round keeper:
Another good PPM for strikers, requires less technique and flair than Lob Keeper

Likes to try to beat offside trap:
Plays right on the edge of defence. very good for quick poachers and number 9s, with good off the ball and anticipation, not useful if you don’t play many through balls

Plays with back to goal: Ideal for strong target men, but also useful strong complete forwards, and strong lone strikers (players like Drogba, Dzeko, Zigic etc.)

Tries first time shots: Takes the shot at first opportunity, and can often catch out the option defence and keeper.

Possess long flat throw: Rory Delap. Nuff said

Hits free kicks with power: Will attempt to score a screamer of a free kick, poorer players will often hit this into the wall, free kick wizards getting the round the wall will see this end up in the back of the net, works better at longer ranges

Tries long range free kicks: Looks score from almost any position. If you have a set piece wizard (Van der Vaart) this player will make opposition think twice about conceding free kicks, but poorer players will often take wasteful shot, when a cross from the free kick is a better option.

Tries to play out of trouble: will look to dribble his way out being closely marked, or closed down. Very good for quick dribblers, who’ll often leave their markers standing, however poor decision making can mean they will dribble when the pass is a better option, and potentially get caught in possession

Avoids weaker foot: will avoid trying to pass and control off his weaker side

The following PPMs cannot be taught:

Arrives late in opposition area: these players have a very good timing when going forward, arriving at the last moment in attack, very good for players with good long shots coming from deeper positions (think Frank Lampard)
Gets into opposition area: An even more offensive PPM than Gets forward whenever possible.

Argues with officials: will tend to pick up more bookings than other players, however these players also seem to high aggression and determination, and will more often than not be fired up in big games and when behind

Curls ball: Great for long range shots, as they look to bend the ball round the keeper.

Some Good Combinations for Roles:

Centreback:
Dives into tackles: will look to go to ground more in the tackle, good for aggressive sides, however poor decision making can leave you exposed, or result in a booking or sending off. (Stopper defender)
Does not dive in to tackles: will look to stay on his feet when winning the ball, may not always make a strong challenge when its needed. (Cover Defender)
Marks opponent tightly: Will look to stick tightly to his designated man, particularly if playing a man marking game.

Ball playing defender:
Gets forward whenever possible: Will look to get forward and break into attacking space

Attacking fullback:
Hugs line: The player will stick to the byline will look to burst down the line before looking for the cross
Runs with ball down left: The player will favour dribbling and attacking players down the left hand side
Runs with ball down right:The player will favour dribbling and attacking players down the right hand side

Ball winning player/Anchorman:
Plays short simple passes: Will make short passes to nearby team mates, but generally less keen on long raking passes. Generates a high pass completion rate

Deep lying playmaker:
Tries long range passes: The player will look to play long raking passes across the pitch.
Switches ball to other flank: Like to change the direction of attack with long lateral passes
Tries killer balls often:
Probably the second most important PPM for any playmaker, requires good decision making, passing, flair and creativity, the player will look to make defence splitting passes.
Dictates Tempo: The Playmaker's PPM. This player will look to be you Maestro and control the game. A must for
Comes deep to get ball: will drop off to create that little bit of space for himself and link with deeper players, particularly good for passing defensive midfielders and central midfielders, as it gives extra space to find the pass, and strikers as they drop away from their marker forcing him to hold position and possibly allow a shooting opportunity, or follow him and be dragged out of positions.

Advanced playmaker:

Tries killer balls often: Probably the second most important PPM for any playmaker, requires good decision making, passing, flair and creativity, the player will look to make defence splitting passes.
Plays One-Twos: Will look to incite pass and move plays
Runs with ball through centre: will look to run at the heart of the opposition defence. Great for quick skilful strikers and attacking midfielders and central midfielders, giving them the ability to beat often beat two or three players before shooting.

Goal scoring Mid:
Shoots with power:
Goes for power over precision. Once hit, the ball stays hit and if it’s on target will more often than not beat the keeper
Shoots from distance: will shoot from all areas of the pitch

Flying Winger:
Runs with ball often:
looks to dribble at any opportunity.

Inside Forward:

Cuts inside: Important for Inside Forwards and good for wingers with strong opposite feet (i.e. strong right foot for left sided players and vice versa), will look to drive in at goal from their flank.
Moves into channels: will look to move into lateral space as much as possible, either between the centre backs, or between fullbacks and centre backs.

Trequartista:
Tries killer balls often:
Probably the second most important PPM for any playmaker, requires good decision making, passing, flair and creativity, the player will look to make defence splitting passes.

Targetman:
Shoots with power: Goes for power over precision. Once hit, the ball stays hit and if it’s on target will more often than not beat the keeper
Plays with back to goal: Ideal for strong target men, but also useful strong complete forwards, and strong lone strikers (players like Drogba, Dzeko, Zigic etc.)
Dwells on ball
: He will look slow the game down a little give himself extra time to pick out the pass

Poacher:

Likes to round keeper: Another good PPM for strikers, requires less technique and flair than Lob Keeper
Likes to try to beat offside trap: Plays right on the edge of defence. very good for quick poachers and number 9s, with good off the ball and anticipation, not useful if you don’t play many through balls

hey mike

great job, especially on linking the PPM's to certain roles :)

i've always wondered though, do PPM's override any specific player instructions you give them? e.g. if Glen Johnson has the PPM "cut inside", but I tick the "wide play" and set it to "hug touchline", then does he no longer cut inside?

I think I've always underrated the impact of PPMs on the game until my last FM11 save. I'm now persuaded PPMs can play a HUGE part on how your players perform both as individuals and as a team, so I spend a fair amount of time choosing/teaching the right ones for each role!

hey mike

great job, especially on linking the PPM's to certain roles :)

i've always wondered though, do PPM's override any specific player instructions you give them? e.g. if Glen Johnson has the PPM "cut inside", but I tick the "wide play" and set it to "hug touchline", then does he no longer cut inside?

They can do, depends on the decision making on of the player, and their creative freedom. with more CF they are more likely to follow their PPMs but better decision making means they will do more at the right time

I think I've always underrated the impact of PPMs on the game until my last FM11 save. I'm now persuaded PPMs can play a HUGE part on how your players perform both as individuals and as a team, so I spend a fair amount of time choosing/teaching the right ones for each role!

very true, i look at a players PPMs as much as any of their attributes

I've searched and can't find an answer to this one, so far I'm only able to teach PPM's based on coach recommendations, but can't find the option in player interaction or anywhere else for that matter, is there a place in the interface where I teach my players PPM's based on my knowledge of the player and the role I'm giving him, for example if I want to teach a player to look for the pass rather than the shot, where do I go to make him learn that move if a coach doesn't suggest it to me?

Sorry about that, found it now, regret any inconvenience caused.

Extremely good post.

Well, that's pretty much everything I wanted to say. Thank you!

Hello.
Do you have any suggestions for a Box to Box Midfield dynamo. I have Yaan M Villa and i want to play him in that role. But i don't know what to teach him. Need some Help thanks.

Helpful stuff now my youngsters will kick some ***

Hello.
Do you have any suggestions for a Box to Box Midfield dynamo. I have Yaan M Villa and i want to play him in that role. But i don't know what to teach him. Need some Help thanks.

Assuming he can learn them, I would have him with:
Plays one-twos
Comes deep for the ball
Runs ball through centre

Hi guys,i want to ask a question about Edin Dzeko.I know he is a big and strong player but he has very good technique too.Should i ask him to learn to place shoots into the corner of the net or shoot with power?What would be better?

I heard somewhere that if player has 'cut inside' and you set 'hug touchline' he would lose 25% of stamina (energy, fittnes) more than with 'default'.

Hi Mike, great thread! I have a question, I have asked it before on a forum but nobody really knew the answer. I play with an anchor man, and in FM11 I bought Alou Diarra regularly and on his preferred moves he had "stays back at all times" and with this he was awesome, when play broke down upfront and their keeper/defenders booted the ball clear he would just step up and head it back into the danger area and we would score or get a goal scoring opportunity most times (Claude Makelele Style). My problem is, I cannot seem to find an option to teach this preferred move to my youngsters....any advice? Also the only player I have found this on in FM12 is Javier Mascherano. Thanks in advance :D

What determines whether a player CAN or CAN'T learn a ppm? I want Eriksen to play killer balls but all my coaches say he can't do it.

What determines whether a player CAN or CAN'T learn a ppm? I want Eriksen to play killer balls but all my coaches say he can't do it.

Not sure, but i believe its the players attritbutes and personality to learn. I'm assuming thats Christen Eriksen from Ajax? Strange, i'd have thought he would learn that

just tell them you want them to teach them!

its more down now to the coaches... pick your best attacking coach to teach it to him! the players no longer refuse, depending on the coaches stats as well I assume depends a great deal whether or not the player will end up learning the move:

1) Determination
2) Motivating
3) Discipline

I have not tested this theory yet, however it could have some truth