Playing up the leagues - A Portsmouth FC Story

LovanoFM

Reaction score
View attachment 824927

Manager Overview:

View attachment 279298

I didn't have any plans but I am enjoying FM a lot more over the past few days and hopefully taking you through this Portsmouth journey back to the Premier League will keep my appeal.

Season Overview:

View attachment 279293

As you can see in the first season we were promoted at the first time of asking which is very nice for the journey back to the top. Some good results against higher league opposition and a decent cup run were definitely the highlights of this season. The season overview will come in the next post and then we can get up to date with whats happened so far in the second season.

About the save:

This is my first story since some time last year so I am hoping that I haven't lost my story writing abilities! You can expect regular post throughout each season and I will be doing these in monthly updates. Hopefully we can have a few successful seasons and get back to the Premier League as soon as possible!!

Can't wait to read will be an interesting story. Currently trying this myself. :)

Looking forward to this mate. As a Pompey season ticket throughout the good and the bad times will be nice to see some success

View attachment 824956

First Season:

View attachment 279285

As you can see the first season was a very good one and we did get promoted as champions. I put this success down to Matt Tubbs who scored loads of goals for us and contributed in basically every game. The squad was very weak and also I was hit with a bad injury patch having 4/5 first team players out so winning the league was a great achievement.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy:

View attachment 279284

A very good run in the JPT however we did fall at the last hurdle against League One side Barnsley. Decent performances throughout the tournament and we dominated possession in the final however it just wasn't enough after both teams scored late in 2nd half injury time.

View attachment 279283

League Two Best Eleven:

View attachment 279282

As you can see by the best 11 Matt Tubbs was by far the most dominant player in the league and in the team scoring 41 goals in 59 games. 30 of these goals were in the league which helped us a lot when fighting for the title. Jed Wallace also had a great season and youngster Jack Whatmough is definitely one for me to look out for.

Transfers:

View attachment 279281

Nothing big happened in the transfer market only two loan signings and both of those were fullbacks.

Next Post:

I will be going over whats happened so far in the 2nd season and also showing you who we signed!!

I have a Pompey save too :)
Will be folowing this,good luck !
Jed Wallace and Jack Whatmough are claass,your current best players...
I like this story

View attachment 824993

Half Season Review:

View attachment 279260

Some very decent business in the transfer window going into League One bringing in some talented youngsters on the cheap. Boyata and McEachran have both been loaned in this January to bolster up the squad.I really just made the squad a lot bigger signing many decent players that were on the cheap. I only had about 4 million to spend and most of my players from the League 2 season were leaving on frees.

League One:

View attachment 279256

We are looking very comfortable going just over the half way mark of the season leading 2nd place Chesterfield by 6 points. If we do get promoted it will be a great achievement but the Championship will be a struggle with the amount of goals we are conceding at the back..

FA Cup:

View attachment 279255

A tough exit out of the FA Cup losing too Coventry however I am not really bothered about the cups at this stage in the career.

Capital One Cup:

View attachment 279252

Another bad run this time in the Capital One Cup as we lose to Championship Bristol City.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy:

View attachment 279250

I was hoping to win the JPT after last years performance with a weaker team but a poor run of games going into the Semi Final was all she wrote for this time.

Season Overview:

The season isn't going to bad so far and with us being knocked out of all 3 cup competitions we can solely focus on the league and try and maintain our form to get promoted into the Championship and that one step closer to the big boys league. I will just be doing a full season review now as I feel starting monthly updates half way through the season would be quite pointless.

Brilliant work in the leagues mate! good luck in Championship next season!

Good progress with Portsmouth mate!

I've just started a Luton Town save, what sort of tactics/formation do you use?

Nice start to the save mate. Always loved your stories, hope this is no different! ;)

View attachment 825449

Second Season Review:

View attachment 279055

As you can see we were promoted as champions which is huge for us and we now have to set ourselves up for the Championship. The title race went down to the wire after we lost two games out of the last 5 which meant we was only 6 points ahead of Chesterfield going into the final 2 games.However a 5-0 away win to 5th place Preston gave us that upper hand and confirmed us as champions.

View attachment 279054

A all round fantastic performance in this game as we dominated possession and also the shots counter. The real turning point in the final few games.

League One Player Stats:

View attachment 279053

Another fantastic season for story legend Matt Tubbs as he wins the golden boot in back to back leagues. Our next best scorer was winger Jed Wallace who bagged 14 goals.

View attachment 279052

Along with Jed Wallace's 14 goals he also got 25 assists which played a huge part in the number of goals we scored in the league. Summer signing Junior Stanislas also proved his worth assisting 10 goals.

Squad Overview:

View attachment 279048

Fantastic performances throughout the season from LB Joe Dudgeon and also Jed Wallace makes them by a huge margin the best two performers this year. Loanee Tunnifcliffe also proved how good of a player he is with some great performances and I will be certainly looking to keep him at the club.

Next Season:

Next season is going to very tough as I have only been given just over 1 million to spend with a small wage budget of 55k. This means that I will be relying on making a few strong loan signings to try and keep us in the Championship and fingers crossed build up our squad for next year.

Story Plans:

With that being said, would you want to see monthly updates, updates every two months or half season updates like I have been doing? The next update will be the transfers regardless of what format I choose.

I'd prefer to see updates every two months. It means the story will progress relatively quickly but also in some detail :)

View attachment 826494

Transfers Overview:

View attachment 278636

We didn't get that much money due to financial reasons. I had to make the most out of the 1 million we got and tried to improve the squad enough to survive in the Championship. McEachran and Tunnicliffe coming to join the club on permanent deals after their great partnership in League One. With the loan additions of Yedlin, Alli, Murray, Illori and Hickley the team is definitely very strong. Im still on the lookout for a GK because the two we have at the moment are nowhere near the standard we need.

Transfer Spotlight:

View attachment 278630

Getting this former Ajax striker on a free probably is the best bit of business we done as he his already worth 2.1 million and with some gametime hopefully that will only increase. Its going to be hard for him to replace Matt Tubbs though.

Fixtures:

View attachment 278629

A pretty tough opening game going away to Charlton however I feel that the team is strong enough to get the 3 points. We have a few very tough games this month playing against the likes of Forest, Derby and also Cardiff.

View attachment 826858

August and September:

View attachment 278485

A fairly decent start to the league winning away to Charlton and drawing with Wigan however we were outplayed completely by Cardiff which resulted in a huge defeat. On a brighter side we beat MK Dons and Bournemouth in great fashion scoring a total of 10 goals in the two games. A very good performance in the Capital One Cup against Premier League team Brentford but they showed their class and ran away victorious.

League Table:

View attachment 278482

A good start to the league sitting in the final promotion place however it will be a very tough task to stay in the promotion places with the Championship being such a tight league. Only 3 points separate us and 13th place Sheffield Wednesday.

Transfers:

View attachment 278479

A few more loan signings as I try to bolster up the squad with a lack of funds. Boga is a young winger, Grimes a CM and Kurasik a GK. Kurasik will most likely be the first choice GK due to the fact that he is the best of a bad situation.

good luck mate planning on starting a pompey save, seems good fun!

what skin are you using btw? looks nice!

Nice start to the season mate, nice transfers too. Dele Ali should be a quality short-term move :)