Please help cant buy a win at the moment

astrasxi84

Reaction score
View attachment 154755

View attachment 154754

View attachment 154753

View attachment 154752

Hey all, here are my tactics that i need help with, real help, i just cannot win for s**t and just need a little advice, im currently southampton and rooted to the foot of the table after 6 games.
i really want this save to work, the amount rage quitting i do is unreal, you wouldnt believe that since i bought this game (1st week it was released) i have never got further than the january transfer window in the 1st season because i just dont know were im going wrong

First thing i see is you're playing a High Tempo , Work into the box and retain possession.

Work the ball into the box and retain possession ask your team to be patient and work it into the box, but Higher Tempo urges them to move the ball around quickly.

You don't have a holding midfielder, despite popular opinion, Ball-Winning midfielder doesn't sit.. he chases the ball. Switch it to a more sitting roll to protect your back 4.

Agreed, in both cases you're using conflicting TI's, in the first example you use the look for overlap TI yet you have your FBs set to defensive meaning there will rarely make runs forward. Utilizing overlapping fullbacks is quite effective in this game so I advise setting them to FB Attack or WB Attack. Also why have a high defensive line and stand off more? Higher defensive lines tend to be more effective when using a high press system attempting to close down your opponents quicker forcing mistakes. As for the second; tempo is generally related to passing directness and possession, the faster tempos benefit from direct passing but have lower possession stats and the slower tempos benefit from shorter passing and focus more on retaining possession. You need to make a choice, what type of football do I want to play and what play style suits my team? do I want a high lined aggressive press team focused on direct passing or do I want or more controlled possession game and then add the beneficial instructions.

Mmm that makes sense, I did have the fullbacks on attack but noticed that most of the opposition goals were coming from that area, hence them being put on defend, didn't think about the TI's to be honest.
i would like the possession approach coz I am noticing the higher possession I'm getting, it's just the finishing I'm struggling with

Last edited:
Mmm that makes sense, I did have the fullbacks on attack but noticed that most of the opposition goals were coming from that area, hence them being put on defend, didn't think about the TI's to be honest.
/QUOTE]

Thats where a holding midfielder ( CM(d) ) would come in helpful, he drops while the full backs go forward, it's not guaranteed to fix your problem but it'll help.

Another thing i would look at is your front 3. You've got 2 Inside Forwards on Attack, and an Advanced Forward on Attack. All 3 players are going to be looking to attack, who's supporting them? You've got an Advanced Playmaker there which is a good idea, but with all 3 front players attacking he doesn't have much to link with other than the DLP who's going to be sitting deep.

I would change the Advanced Forward to a more supporting role, and maybe change one of the playmaker roles to another role ( i don't like having more than one preference ). Thats just my opinion though.

It all comes down to how you want to play, who you want to score.

would that help with improving my shots, in last three games i mustve had an handful of shots on target and they seemed "rushed" aswell

would that help with improving my shots, in last three games i mustve had an handful of shots on target and they seemed "rushed" aswell

That all comes down to your players to be honest. If you're creating chances then your tactic is working. There's not much you can change tactic wise that will make your players more composed.

One thing i might add is about your Inside Forwards. If they're cutting in and shooting, what foot are they using? It's better to have a AML with a right foot and a AMR with a left foot if you plan on using them as goal scorers.

Great help cheers, I'll check on the inside forwards and switch round like you suggest, I'd like them to contribute to goals aswell, gives me more attacking options

Check back and let me know how you get on.

Not saying its wrong but why exactly do you want to play out of defence?

In the 433 set up try making the dm a dlp defend and have the other cms as a bwm support and an AP attack (or cm attack)

Not saying its wrong but why exactly do you want to play out of defence?

In the 433 set up try making the dm a dlp defend and have the other cms as a bwm support and an AP attack (or cm attack)

i wanna keep possession so my idea is it play from back, but i may be wrong im still pretty much a noob when it comes to tactics.
Whats the downside to "play out of defence"

i wanna keep possession so my idea is it play from back, but i may be wrong im still pretty much a noob when it comes to tactics.
Whats the downside to "play out of defence"

They try and look to play out of the defence, this isn't exactly a pass, they might try and beat the players around them before passing. I usually try it, but it can result in a lot of mistakes at the back.

Well think I might untick that now then, don't need owt that could go against me

Well think I might untick that now then, don't need owt that could go against me

A lot of people think that having a lot of instructions means a good tactic, that's not exactly the case. Start of with a few, such as the shorter passing, work into the box. Watch a match on extended/comprehensive highlights, if they're rushing their passes then add lower tempo. If you see anything that can needs to be change, try adding an instruction, but if nothing is going wrong then don't change the instructions.

Remember, the mentality changes the type style of play, to see this go to the instructions screen and clear all your instructions. Start off at standard and click Control, you'll see the bars getting bigger/smaller for some of the instructions. Mentality plays a bit part in instructions.

they might try and beat the players around them before passing.
This sounds like running with the ball, which has nothing to do with passing?

The main downsides are that 1 - you are slowing play down, so allowing more time for the opposition to get into position and 2 - you're trying to keep the ball in an area with defenders, not really known for their vision and passing ability, around opposition attacking players so it may be difficult if there are too many attackers.

By the way, Control already HAS fairly short passing for the defenders. It's there by default, so just try something before tacking on a million instructions. You might just be surprised at how they pass it out anyway, if they feel like it.

This sounds like running with the ball, which has nothing to do with passing?

The main downsides are that 1 - you are slowing play down, so allowing more time for the opposition to get into position and 2 - you're trying to keep the ball in an area with defenders, not really known for their vision and passing ability, around opposition attacking players so it may be difficult if there are too many attackers.
Ah good point, is it just the control mentality that works with possession or could it work with other mentalitys?

Ah good point, is it just the control mentality that works with possession or could it work with other mentalitys?
Most Mentalities 'work' with possession. The Mentality has very little to do with keeping possession but it'll be easier doing so using a safer Mentality.