Plug & Play Freedom (3142) ---Direct Style--- Fantastic Tactic By Jesaustralia

Hello Jesaustralia.

I have been doing much the same as you since I restarted playing FM13 (FM14 is broke imho).
So I too have been up and down the web looking at forums for peoples opinions on what the sliders actually do etc (I'm not a long time player, so still quite new)

This is not a critique of "Plug & Play Freedom (3142) ---Direct Style" just my experience of a really entertaining tactic.

Great going forwards.
Not that bad defensively, I though this would leak goals..not the case.

But....

Very often when we where in and around the 18 yards box my players ran out of options because everyone (5/7 players) where either in a long line (strikers and midfielders where all in line and level with one and other in the box and nobody dropping off or out) or all massed together blobbing the box,
Making short direct passes hard to achieve due to the mass of bodys.

Quite prone to the cross field counter (Balls over the top and in behind the wingers)
Looking at the pass map after each game I could see the A.I managers systematically targeting the wings.

Attacks where over too quickly, very little in the way of ball retention.
But I do understand that this tactic was never about keeping the ball.
(I personally like to move the ball about more)

I played about 25/30 games before we started shipping goals (13 in 6 games) I think this is a confidence tactic, with low team confidence it's not gonna work.
Personally I don't think I quite had the players either. (Default FM13 database, playing as Tottenham)
But when we won WE SMASHED'EM, but when we lost we lost badly, just the way all great tactics should be :)

This still gets a good 8/10 from me because I did see some fantastic interplay on the move and some great goals, and because it lead
To the way to the tactic I now have.

A tactic heavily influenced by "Plug & Play Freedom (3142) --- Direct Style"
So thanks for that Jesaustalia and this is for sure a tactic I will keep in my locker so to speak.
Because as I said 'I just don't think I had the players to make it click'.

Last edited:
Hello Jesaustralia.

I have been doing much the same as you since I restarted playing FM13 (FM14 is broke imho).
So I too have been up and down the web looking at forums for peoples opinions on what the sliders actually do etc (I'm not a long time player, so still quite new)

This is not a critique of "Plug & Play Freedom (3142) ---Direct Style" just my experience of a really entertaining tactic.

Great going forwards.
Not that bad defensively, I though this would leak goals..not the case.

But....

Very often when we where in and around the 18 yards box my players ran out of options because everyone (5/7 players) where either in a long line (strikers and midfielders where all in line and level with one and other in the box and nobody dropping off or out) or all massed together blobbing the box,
Making short direct passes hard to achieve due to the mass of bodys.

Quite prone to the cross field counter (Balls over the top and in behind the wingers)
Looking at the pass map after each game I could see the A.I managers systematically targeting the wings.

Attacks where over too quickly, very little in the way of ball retention.
But I do understand that this tactic was never about keeping the ball.
(I personally like to move the ball about more)

I played about 25/30 games before we started shipping goals (13 in 6 games) I think this is a confidence tactic, with low team confidence it's not gonna work.
Personally I don't think I quite had the players either. (Default FM13 database, playing as Tottenham)
But when we won WE SMASHED'EM, but when we lost we lost badly, just the way all great tactics should be :)

This still gets a good 8/10 from me because I did see some fantastic interplay on the move and some great goals, and because it lead
To the way to the tactic I now have.

So thanks for that Jesaustalia and this is for sure a tactic I will keep in my locker so to speak.

Wee - Great post!

First of all anyone wanna do critique on my tactics are welcome to do it, because it will just help me to be inspired and in some cases see the picture through a different window so critique for me isn't a bad thing. I'm not perfect and I definitely do plenty of mistakes in both FM and life in general, so I just wanna say here in my opening post to you that I appreciate that you both have taken your time to write the post above, but also that you have tried my tactic/s and it sounds like you are getting inspired yourself which is really cool.

Wee said:
Great going forwards.

Yea drugged players - EPO :)

Wee said:
Not that bad defensively, I thought this would leak goals..not the case.

Yea - I was scared of this to, but I feel its a part that works alright - in the Marcelo tactics defence it works even better and that's why I changed the 3 DC's and the DMC to Marcelo's setup in defence throughout these 4 players (so a Galego tweak going on) - I forgot to credit him and I will have to do that - however tactic is untested yet.

Wee said:
around the 18 yards box my players ran out of options because everyone (5/7 players) where either in a long line (strikers and midfielders where all in line and level with one and other in the box and nobody dropping off or out) or all massed together blobbing the box. Making short direct passes hard to achieve due to the mass of bodys

This is actually truth and it makes this tactic lack and be akward offensively compared to other tactics I have created. The fun thing is I hate when the players get in each others way, but I'm also dictated by results - sometimes it can look ugly and even confuse my grandmother (Rest in peace). Honestly this is a part that I wanna fix in this tactic. If you have a suggestion I'm listening. Currently I'm thinking the 2 midfielders run from deep should be less. what do you think?

Wee said:

Smoking on my E-Cigaret and thinking :) - What would Mr. Langvatn do? :) - Wingers run from deep=rare? Their is 1 thing that scares me a little - if I modify the wingers will it be lacking offensively/Attacking? or shall I trust the defence to take care of business in these situations, which they do well in my game. Alternatively wingers should either be wingbacks or Fullbacks. My team only have wingers currently at my disposal and is the reason for a winger tactic and why I haven't modified GOOAALL262 yet :) . Version 2 is tweaked to the Marcelo settings in defence which worked amazing in that tactic.

Wee said:
Attacks where over too quickly

Yes not a possession tactic - could be fixed with higher time wasting though if doing that I suggest 14-16.
(Don't know how conflicting this would be)

Wee said:
I played about 25/30 games before we started shipping goals (13 in 6 games) I think this is a confidence tactic, with low team confidence it's not gonna work. Personally I don't think I quite had the players either. (Default FM13 database, playing as Tottenham) But when we won WE SMASHED'EM, but when we lost we lost badly, just the way all great tactics should be
smile.gif

Confidence tactic YES Indeed - Also Top team tactic meaning best players possible as I advertise all my tactics to be.

Wee said:
This still gets a good 8/10 from me because I did see some fantastic interplay on the move and some great goals, and because it lead to the way of my current tactic.

Thank you very much - I feel that's a generous rating - Personally I have it down to a 7, but its still in progress and I will play with it for yet another season, but with tweaks (I'm in start of June) so still deciding on the tweaks (Feel Free to advice).

I give you 10/10 for this post - It means alot to me when you guys are interacting it inspires new things to be implemented - The thing you said about player congestion stroke me really hard (positively) I will have a serious look at this and should have done that much before.

I would love to have a peak at your tactic - if you don't mind uploading it (It could be inspiring back).

Wee said:

Now I'm extremely interested to see what you have come up with (Your tactic) :) - Yes when you are financially rich and can buy great players this tactic and the other few I've made GOOAALL262 - The Connection - The Champ - Will Rock your world :)

FM13 - Most Reputable Tactics

Underdog teams - Top Teams
Probably No.1 451 tripple-tweak by Mr Langvatn (Amazing defensive potential - Could be the very best FM13 tactic)
probably No. 1 or 2 3142 Marcelo by Galego (One of my favourites) - High scoring one example as Barca (177)GLS
probably No. 1 or 2 442 trippletweak by Mr Langvatn (Its really good)
Probably No.1 or 2 442 Arrigo Sacchi by Sean (I like this one)
4141 Rock by Mr Langvatn (Dont underestimate - Some have this down as their favourite)

Top Teams Only - Confidence tactics - High scoring
Gooaall262 (My baby)
The Connection (Little brother of Gooaall262)
The Champ 4222 (Best defence)

WEE - Thank you for the post, I hope to hear more from you

Cheers Pal!

Last edited:
Now I'm extremely interested to see what you have come up with (Your tactic) :)

Cheers for the underdog links btw, tried them all already though.
Arrigo Sacchi 4-4-2 by Sean was the best imo.

So what I came up with hit me literally while eating breakfast ...BOOM!
First was the unconventional marking the strikers would perform to help out the overloaded wingers.
Conventional wisdom would insist that if they where to track a fullback, it would be the fullback they are closest to.
IE: left striker tracks the other teams right sided fullback and right striker tracks the other teams left sided fullback.
Well, one thing about strikers here that get on my ***s, when they have the ball and run at goal from their own half they always dive to the byline!!!! why on earth would you as a striker when you only have fresh air between you and the keeper run towards the byline?
So I thought that if they tracked the opposite sided FB instead (cross over the pitch) they will have to cross back and run towards the middle of the pitch, this had a side effect.
They DO run from the edge towards the middle with the ball :) and IF the striker has the ball it gives him more opportunities to play one two's with team mates and without the ball the striker is their running and ready to receive the ball at full chat.

Second came the idea to move the middle Centreback into the Libero role:
With an attack duty, the Libero ventures much higher up the pitch to provide a goal scoring threat from distance alongside looking to play in team mates.
Plays like a deep anchor while attacking and meaning I could move the DMC into CM and a CM into AMC.
Libero may not the easiest role to fill but I had Vertonghen who fills that role quite nicely.

Finaly was just a couple of minor tweaks, moved the wingers to wingback so they could close down the opposition and not have to chase them down.
WB(a) was the closest I could have them playing the Defensive Winger(s) slider set (which I preferred), what I came up with is more or less a mish-mash of the two roles and yours and their slider settings.

Trequartista (full default) no closing down or anything.

PPM's I want but cant train.

DM(d) Stays back at all times
Will stay in position and not make forward runs
Looking to sign a player called Bruno to tutor it to my youth. but not for 20 mill :(

DLP(s) Arrives late in opposition area
the player will hold back in a deeper position, regardless of whether he is instructed to hold his position, before entering the area and joining the attack when he thinks the moment is right.
Not found anybody to sign for that, maybe Fletcher from MAN U, but S.A.F wants 11 mill :(

The rest was just calming down your Original "Plug & Play Freedom (3142) ---Direct Style"

The Formation
View attachment 336754

The Results after the RED highlight are where I started using this tactic.
View attachment 336755
Before that with 'P&P Freedom' the results where P37 F74 A35
After that it was P23 F50 A13

Other factors might have come into play here though, I was 2/3 the way through the season, players where beginning to gel and some key player returned from injuries.

End Of Season Table.
View attachment 336753

The Tactic to twist your mellon...maaan.
View attachment 336752

Last edited:
Cheers for the underdog links btw, tried them all already though.
Arrigo Sacchi 4-4-2 by Sean was the best imo.

So what I came up with hit me literally while eating breakfast ...BOOM!
First was the unconventional marking the strikers would perform to help out the overloaded wingers.
Conventional wisdom would insist that if they where to track a fullback, it would be the fullback they are closest to.
IE: left striker tracks the other teams right sided fullback and right striker tracks the other teams left sided fullback.
Well, one thing about strikers here that get on my ***s, when they have the ball and run at goal from their own half they always dive to the byline!!!! why on earth would you as a striker when you only have fresh air between you and the keeper run towards the byline?
So I thought that if they tracked the opposite sided FB instead (cross over the pitch) they will have to cross back and run towards the middle of the pitch, this had a side effect.
They DO run from the edge towards the middle with the ball :) and IF the striker has the ball it gives him more opportunities to play one two's with team mates and without the ball the striker is their running and ready to receive the ball at full chat.

Second came the idea to move the middle Centreback into the Libero role:
Plays like a deep anchor while attacking and meaning I could move the DMC into CM and a CM into AMC.
Libero may not the easiest role to fill but I had Vertonghen who fills that role quite nicely.

Finaly was just a couple of minor tweaks, moved the wingers to wingback so they could close down the opposition and not have to chase them down.
WB(a) was the closest I could have them playing the Defensive Winger(s) slider set (which I preferred), what I came up with is more or less a mish-mash of the two roles and yours and their slider settings.

Trequartista (full default) no closing down or anything.

PPM's I want but cant train.

DM(d) Stays back at all times

Looking to sign a player called Bruno to tutor it to my youth. but not for 20 mill :(

DLP(s) Arrives late in opposition area

Not found anybody to sign for that, maybe Fletcher from MAN U, but S.A.F wants 11 mill :(

The rest was just calming down your Original "Plug & Play Freedom (3142) ---Direct Style"

The Formation
View attachment 687287

The Results after the RED highlight are where I started using this tactic.
View attachment 687284
Before that with 'P&P Freedom' the results where P37 F74 A35
After that it was P23 F50 A13

Other factors might have come into play here though, I was 2/3 the way through the season, players where beginning to gel and some key player returned from injuries.

End Of Season Table.
View attachment 687293

The Tactic to twist your mellon...maaan.
View attachment 687294

Nice post mate

Looked at your tactic - their is some simularities to Gooaall262 when you look at just the visual formation. I'm a big fan of wingback's and I will go back to them in a few seasons I'm sure. If you need a great wingback setting you should take a look at the Gooaall262 how they are setup - they performed amazing for me - even those wingbacks that wasnt high in both crossing and dribbling though that's preferred over defensive skills.

I'm not understanding the thing you say about the strikers are you individually marking opponents fullbacks with opposite striker?

I have never tried using a libero and to be honest I don't know how fashionable it is in the modern game, but when I looked at your tactic it inspired me to move my defensive midfielder to the central midfield and use him as a deep laying playmaker with high CF and through balls often and lower mentality than the other two midfielders at central. Further I made my central defender a stopper and he now moves into the hole of the centre to cover up the area that the defensive midfielder before was covering. So in that sense it Freedom is more offensive, but no! :)

Crowding the Box - Test
All 5 in the midfield wingers dlp cm's I have given the instruction "Run from deep=rare" what I want with this is to not crowd the opponent box when on mad attacks. Does it work? I don't know yet I'm in preseason so its untested and I just can't wait to see it in action. This is inspired from a certain mr langvatn spying on his Run from deep instructions :) - it will be interesting to see if attacks will stay in the same amount and also if it will create a stronger balance in attack.

Few notes of my research on the net - Focussing just on FM13 :

WWfan answered a private message I sent him about a month back

Jumping/Heading - This is Not about corners= Useless all over

Heading strength is definitely an issue over the last couple of FMs. Not just for strikers, but everywhere. The reason, for me, relates to poor crossing and poor goalkeeping. Seems weird, but this is what happens:
  1. Crosses are hit too close/in to the 6-yard box
  2. GK rarely tries to aggressively claim
  3. Consequently, any decent header will be a goal
  4. For me, headers are underpowered as a direct consequence of these issues
I read someone reputable say that strikers close down poorly and midfielders do the job that strikers are suppose to do. Don't remember if it was amc's or mc's. This is the very reason why in my fm13 tactics I set all my strikers to closing down=0

Cheers mate and thanks for the inspiration

I'm not understanding the thing you say about the strikers are you individually marking opponents fullbacks with opposite striker?

Yes, it has many benefits as I see them.
Depending on the oppositions formation it can lead to 3 vs 1 against my Wingbacks, so it makes sense to use the strikers who are doing squat up top. (what would Rooney be doing? standing watching?)

But like I said I do it a different way, bit of a game breaking way if I'm honest, but it's the only way to get the Strikers to do what I want.
But for me what's more important is what the strikers do if we/they win the ball back, especially if I am playing counter attacking football.

Conventional marking and what the striker does while running with the ball
View attachment 336691>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>View attachment 336689

This for me is utterly useless in a counter attacking situation, running to a none theatening place in order to let the defense reorganization themselves?? Do me a favour....

Unconventional marking and what the striker does while running with the ball
View attachment 336690>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>View attachment 336688

This is much more like it, he'll even pass to the opposite flank where his striker partner or WB who are bombing down the opposite wing.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have never tried using a libero and to be honest I don't know how fashionable it is in the modern game

I doubt very much if I play him anything like the classic Libero is supposed to be played.
what I was after was a kind of David Luiz type, who will bring the ball at his feet from defense to attack and try and hold the center circle with a CM(d) with the DLP(s) creating a pivot for a nice passing triangle.
And rather than him sweeping I wanted him closing down ahead of the two centerback, almost playing the 'Makelele' Role.

Well...thems the plans anyway.
Still a work in progress.

I doubt very much if I play him anything like the classic Libero is supposed to be played.
what I was after was a kind of David Luiz type, who will bring the ball at his feet from defense to attack and try and hold the center circle with a CM(d) with the DLP(s) creating a pivot for a nice passing triangle.
And rather than him sweeping I wanted him closing down ahead of the two centerback, almost playing the 'Makelele' Role.

Well...thems the plans anyway.
Still a work in progress.

Nice illustration - enjoyed it!

Question:

Are your strikers set to wideplay=move into channels?
If yes try and set them to normal to get rid of the running to the corner flag thing -
Also train PPM "Run with ball through the middle"

I don't know if it will fix it, but in my game I don't feel they crowd the corners like that.

I'm not a big fan off doing team talks or before match instructions basically repetitious tasks, I wish I could instruct them once and then it will be like that for every game. Your Idea is splendid and I actually would maybe try it myself if it wasn't for the repeating task off doing it :)

Their should be something in the tactic panel where I could code the instructions - Under strikers for instance when opponent use FB's set Poacher SC Left to man mark opponent left fullback etc

Cheers mate

Their should be something in the tactic panel where I could code the instructions - Under strikers for instance when opponent use FB's set Poacher SC Left to man mark opponent left fullback etc

Cheers mate

There is a way of sorts, in pre-match where you set players to mark certain opponents.
Say for instance you always want your DMC to mark the opponents AMC, go to your DMC's instruction screen and set his marking specifically to their AMC then SAVE YOUR TACTIC.
You get a warning that basically says that to use this modified tactic again you must reselect it after the match is over from your tactics screen.
This also works for OI's too, show to foot, tight marking, closing down can all be hard coded in to your tactic.
This way only minor adjustments need to be made for each match instead of the tedious and repetitive setting of every player.

After you 'LEAVE MATCH' and you have made your marking selections and saved the tactic, go to your tactic screen and in the drop down menu where you load your tactics from just select the tactic again, you will know if you have done this correctly when you look at the player/s who you set to specific man marking, this should be BLANK.
When you start the next match any OI's set that apply to the formation the opponents are playing will be automatically applied.

Your player will only mark the positions though, so if the opponents change shape and move the AMC back into center midfield the player you had marking him will revert back to general man marking.

EDIT...
This can be build upon over a number of games against different formations to build a fuller tactical approach.
You can also save shouts in to the formation as well, I find this useful when creating new tactics.

Last edited:
There is a way of sorts, in pre-match where you set players to mark certain opponents.
Say for instance you always want your DMC to mark the opponents AMC, go to your DMC's instruction screen and set his marking specifically to their AMC then SAVE YOUR TACTIC.
You get a warning that basically says that to use this modified tactic again you must reselect it after the match is over from your tactics screen.
This also works for OI's too, show to foot, tight marking, closing down can all be hard coded in to your tactic.
This way only minor adjustments need to be made for each match instead of the tedious and repetitive setting of every player.

After you 'LEAVE MATCH' and you have made your marking selections and saved the tactic, go to your tactic screen and in the drop down menu where you load your tactics from just select the tactic again, you will know if you have done this correctly when you look at the player/s who you set to specific man marking, this should be BLANK.
When you start the next match any OI's set that apply to the formation the opponents are playing will be automatically applied.

Your player will only mark the positions though, so if the opponents change shape and move the AMC back into center midfield the player you had marking him will revert back to general man marking.

Nice!!! - Incredible I didn't know that :$

So do I get a chance to save as a new file or do I have to override a save?

If I want to shove them to goto the byline instead of going inside - what foot would that be in for instance in the right side? - Sorry for the noob question :)

Last edited:
So do I get a chance to save as a new file or do I have to override a save?
Yes, and if you do save it under a new name you might have to go into "MANAGE TACTICS" after the game is over and import it from there or it just might show up where all the others are. I don't quite remember. :mad:

If I want to shove them to goto the byline instead of going inside - what foot would that be in for instance in the right side? - Sorry for the noob question :)

For instance, on your right wing if you want to stop an Inside forward cutting inside you show him to his right foot (your player tries to cut off with his body the option to cut inside and shows the player the open wing) and to stop a Winger crossing you show hit to his left foot (your player tries to cut off with his body the option to move down the wing and shows the player inside). OFC swap that for the left wing.

Personally, any foot less than reasonable I 'generally' show to weaker regardless of what role they are playing. And if both feet are strong I show the player where I want him to play IE: where I'm strongest Vs him.

Last edited:
Now Wee thanks for the explanation - Its cool you explain those things for me because its totally new things in the game that I have always ignored, but I might have to look into it.

Now I wanna ask for inspiration - if anyone out their have an idea about the next subject.

Crosses - Rumored to be bugged along with jumping/Heading which is very easy to spot in the match engine
(Not on corners). The headers have been toned down so much that it is a pain to look at when your Oliver Bierhoff head towards goal and can't get any power on it - ANNOYING! - Headers lack alot of variety as well - where is the headers meating the ground first? :). So I want to do something about that in my current tactic.

I'm using a tweaked Freedom tactic and ML/R I have set crosses=rare - RWB=often - Through balls=often & wideplay= move into channels - Roaming=yes - Creative freedom=20 (I hear you - change to 10 right :D )

I still get many crosses, but i want to eliminate them totally - Do you have any ideas out their?

I'm thinking to try cut inside and cf=10

Cheers

Depending on the oppositions formation it can lead to 3 vs 1 against my Wingbacks, so it makes sense to use the strikers who are doing squat up top. (what would Rooney be doing? standing watching?)

But like I said I do it a different way, bit of a game breaking way if I'm honest, but it's the only way to get the Strikers to do what I want.
But for me what's more important is what the strikers do if we/they win the ball back, especially if I am playing counter attacking football.

View attachment 687449>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>View attachment 687451

This for me is utterly useless in a counter attacking situation, running to a none theatening place in order to let the defense reorganization themselves?? Do me a favour....

View attachment 687450>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>View attachment 687453

This is much more like it, he'll even pass to the opposite flank where his striker partner or WB who are bombing down the opposite wing.

Hope this helps.

Just tried this - You rigged the engine :)

I added my wingers as well to opposite marking, but I'm undecided with that, however it makes the strikers better and poor Dortmund lost 4-0 and were literally pathetic :)

View attachment 687449>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>View attachment 687451

View attachment 687450>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>View attachment 687453

Hope this helps.
Yeah I agree man, this striker thing really crazes me out. I have s many counters, 1v1 situations, 1vnone situations where all the striker needs to do is to run through the middle of the pitch with the ball and all he does is go wide an then cut in at the by line by which time the defense is back. i honestly think I could get between 15-20 more goals in a 38 game season easily, this is the no. of times I've seen such a situation.

How do you propose we solve this? manual marking?

Nice illustration - enjoyed it!

Question:

Are your strikers set to wideplay=move into channels?
If yes try and set them to normal to get rid of the running to the corner flag thing -
Also train PPM "Run with ball through the middle"

I don't know if it will fix it, but in my game I don't feel they crowd the corners like that.

I'm not a big fan off doing team talks or before match instructions basically repetitious tasks, I wish I could instruct them once and then it will be like that for every game. Your Idea is splendid and I actually would maybe try it myself if it wasn't for the repeating task off doing it :)

Cheers mate

Hi Jes, I faced the same striker moving to byline issue with Arrigo Sacchi 442, and in that tactic both strikers are set to 'normal' wide play.

Ok, result time:

League Table

View attachment 336416

P 34, W33, D1, 100 points League record and my best at Frieburg in 12 seasons, 153 goals scored also best, 13 goals conceded is also an all time low. So from that point of view, best all tactics I've used.

For comparison:
1) With Arrigo Sacchi 442 (squad was weaker though, although it was still probably among the top 3 in europe) in season 2017-18: 30W, 4D, 1L, 94 points, 111 scored, 19 conceded.
2) 4132 champ by Jesaustralia, season 2018-19, 80 points, 25W, 5D, 4L, 101 scored, 24 conceded
3) Goal 262 by Jesaustralia, season 2019-20, 28W, 5D, 1L, 89 points, 98 scored, 25 conceded.
4) Marcelo 3142: used it for 3 season in between 2020-2023, best season 30W, 3D, 1L, 93 points, 145 scored, 15 conceded.

My players shining:
View attachment 336414

Yep, my two strikers both had 35+ league goals (in 34 matches or less in the league) and 50+ goals in all compeitions, and the interesting thing is that my top scorer Ali Rammal is an 18 year old who was in his first season because the 2nd striker got injured thrice for 2+months lol (and is only better physically).

Some match results:
View attachment 336408

View attachment 336407

View attachment 336406

View attachment 336400

Comments:

1) Although I scored more goals in the league as compared to the original Marcelo tactic, I scored 26 goals in the cup (6 matches) whereas the best was achieved in the last season with the original 3142 (29 goals). Similarly, I scored 39 goals in the CL versus 54 with the original Marcelo tactic (and over 3 seasons with the Marcelo tactic I averaged 27 cup goals, and 50 CL goals, and 140 league goals). I won all competitions both times though.

Hence, my conclusion is that overall on average you will score the same number of goals and concede slightly less with Direct Style versus Marcelo. In fact, if I take all competitions stats, you will score more with the original Marcelo tactics and conceded less with Direct Style.

2) Strikers score more with direct style and corners seem more consistent although I dont have actual figures. With the original Marcelo your CMs and Wingers score a lot more and only 1 striker gets like 30-33 goals in the league but with this one both strikers can score 30-35+ goals and you wingers score much less, your CMs score about a third less compared to the original tactic.

3) Possession is ****. Moves are few. Look at the match results I posted above, check the passing accuracy, with this tactic you lose possession a lot. Further more your players travel more distance too and I dont think thats a good scenario (I had lots more injuries this season), and many players are in the 60's at the end of games. Again look at the Man City game I lost, I had 66% passing accuracy and less than 40% possession, only 8% crosses completed. Now that City side I also control (with another tactic) and I know that tactic is not that good and that City side is no where near my Freiburg side. But they were able to limit my shots b/c I had no meaningful possession or passing accuracy.

This possession problem also seems more profound away from home. I had three 1-0 losses away from home in the CL to PSG, United and City in the knockout stages, and I know that firstly with the original Marcelo I would probably have won and secondly the reason I lost was possession or more specifically passing accuracy that led to few meaningful chances/shots etc.

Possession needs to be improved. Passing accuracy should be 80+ for these sort of players!

4) I like the football in original Marcelo better, here its just like as soon as you get possession 2 or 3 passes and try to get goals. lots of scruffy goals, balls falling luckily for the poacher.

5) Although my defense was amazing this season (conceded 13 in league and only 5 in CL), I honestly do not know if a smaller team would have such good defense stats. My recommendation is that if you are not top dog, are an underdog, or unfancied team, use the original Marcelo tactic first. Once you have an all star team you can shift to this one, but not from the start. Although it would be intriguing to check it out, I just dont think small teams would be good enough with such high tempo direct passing. They would lose possession even faster, leading to more chances for the opposition.

6) Jes, I think you need to tone down a bit on the direct passing. With more possession I honestly believe you will have more goals, since your players are so good. Slider Something like mixed passing to somewhere between full direct and mixed. I am sure you know better how to make this work. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
3) Possession is ****. Moves are few.

Possession needs to be improved. Passing accuracy should be 80+ for these sort of players!

High tempo with low time wasting will lead to a play with a high sense of urgency, preferring more chances over quality chances. Expect a higher number of shots from distances and more risky passes going astray when safer options were available.

Yeah I agree man, this striker thing really crazes me out. I have s many counters, 1v1 situations, 1vnone situations where all the striker needs to do is to run through the middle of the pitch with the ball and all he does is go wide an then cut in at the by line by which time the defense is back. i honestly think I could get between 15-20 more goals in a 38 game season easily, this is the no. of times I've seen such a situation.

How do you propose we solve this? manual marking?

Same as you the striker running to the touchline and then the corner flag does my head in.
So I thought if the right hand striker tracks the fullback on the left and vice versa for the left hand striker when they do get the ball their immediate thoughts will be to get back over to the other side of the pitch.
This has proven to be the case.

For whatever reason it seems because they ARE looking to move infield they are also seeing passes they would not normally see, even finding the other striker with what can only be described as DELICIOUS stinger cross field passes.
(passes that in two years of FM13 I have never seen)

Last edited:
Ok, result time:

League Table

View attachment 688060

P 34, W33, D1, 100 points League record and my best at Frieburg in 12 seasons, 153 goals scored also best, 13 goals conceded is also an all time low. So from that point of view, best all tactics I've used.

For comparison:
1) With Arrigo Sacchi 442 (squad was weaker though, although it was still probably among the top 3 in europe) in season 2017-18: 30W, 4D, 1L, 94 points, 111 scored, 19 conceded.
2) 4132 champ by Jesaustralia, season 2018-19, 80 points, 25W, 5D, 4L, 101 scored, 24 conceded
3) Goal 262 by Jesaustralia, season 2019-20, 28W, 5D, 1L, 89 points, 98 scored, 25 conceded.
4) Marcelo 3142: used it for 3 season in between 2020-2023, best season 30W, 3D, 1L, 93 points, 145 scored, 15 conceded.

My players shining:
View attachment 688065

Yep, my two strikers both had 35+ league goals (in 34 matches or less in the league) and 50+ goals in all compeitions, and the interesting thing is that my top scorer Ali Rammal is an 18 year old who was in his first season because the 2nd striker got injured thrice for 2+months lol (and is only better physically).

Some match results:
View attachment 688077

View attachment 688078

View attachment 688081

View attachment 688090

Comments:

1) Although I scored more goals in the league as compared to the original Marcelo tactic, I scored 26 goals in the cup (6 matches) whereas the best was achieved in the last season with the original 3142 (29 goals). Similarly, I scored 39 goals in the CL versus 54 with the original Marcelo tactic (and over 3 seasons with the Marcelo tactic I averaged 27 cup goals, and 50 CL goals, and 140 league goals). I won all competitions both times though.

Hence, my conclusion is that overall on average you will score the same number of goals and concede slightly less with Direct Style versus Marcelo. In fact, if I take all competitions stats, you will score more with the original Marcelo tactics and conceded less with Direct Style.

2) Strikers score more with direct style and corners seem more consistent although I dont have actual figures. With the original Marcelo your CMs and Wingers score a lot more and only 1 striker gets like 30-33 goals in the league but with this one both strikers can score 30-35+ goals and you wingers score much less, your CMs score about a third less compared to the original tactic.

3) Possession is ****. Moves are few. Look at the match results I posted above, check the passing accuracy, with this tactic you lose possession a lot. Further more your players travel more distance too and I dont think thats a good scenario (I had lots more injuries this season), and many players are in the 60's at the end of games. Again look at the Man City game I lost, I had 66% passing accuracy and less than 40% possession, only 8% crosses completed. Now that City side I also control (with another tactic) and I know that tactic is not that good and that City side is no where near my Freiburg side. But they were able to limit my shots b/c I had no meaningful possession or passing accuracy.

This possession problem also seems more profound away from home. I had three 1-0 losses away from home in the CL to PSG, United and City in the knockout stages, and I know that firstly with the original Marcelo I would probably have won and secondly the reason I lost was possession or more specifically passing accuracy that led to few meaningful chances/shots etc.

4) I like the football in original Marcelo better, here its just like as soon as you get possession 2 or 3 passes and try to get goals. lots of scruffy goals, balls falling luckily for the poacher.

5) Although my defense was amazing this season (conceded 13 in league and only 5 in CL), I honestly do not know if a smaller team would have such good defense stats. My recommendation is that if you are not top dog, are an underdog, or unfancied team, use the original Marcelo tactic first. Once you have an all star team you can shift to this one, but not from the start. Although it would be intriguing to check it out, I just dont think small teams would be good enough with such high tempo direct passing. They would lose possession even faster, leading to more chances for the opposition.

6) Jes, I think you need to tone down a bit on the direct passing. With more possession I honestly believe you will have more goals, since your players are so good. Slider Something like mixed passing to somewhere between full direct and mixed. I am sure you know better how to make this work. Just my 2 cents.

Champ you are my favourite critique of all time - I actually thought that you would go out celebrating in a strip joint after these results, but nope :)

Several things:
1st thing first - 3142 Marcelo - Is totally unrelated to Plug & Play Freedom and shouldn't be compared to that - the same goes for the amount of goals you score its a grey area where so many things has to be perfectly balanced and if they are not their will be a difference.

2nd As I have advertised many times - My tactics are created for very Good/Great teams - I always recommend people the underdog tactics over my own tactics in case people think that I have created the solution (An Exploit tactic)

3rd This tactic - has never been a possession tactic and always about fast attacking football where the players basically knows what's best.

4th I'm already in the process of creating a different version of this - & its going to take into account the jumping/header bug - the crosses bug and I will experiment with different settings that hopefully will make the 2 strikers furtherly improved.

Despite your critisism - I'm gonna post your best result ever on the front page ! :)

Cheers Pal!

Champ you are my favourite critique of all time - I actually thought that you would go out celebrating in a strip joint after these results, but nope :)

Several things:
1st thing first - 3142 Marcelo - Is totally unrelated to Plug & Play Freedom and shouldn't be compared to that - the same goes for the amount of goals you score its a grey area where so many things has to be perfectly balanced and if they are not their will be a difference.

2nd As I have advertised many times - My tactics are created for very Good/Great teams - I always recommend people the underdog tactics over my own tactics in case people think that I have created the solution (An Exploit tactic)

3rd This tactic - has never been a possession tactic and always about fast attacking football where the players basically knows what's best.

4th I'm already in the process of creating a different version of this - & its going to take into account the jumping/header bug - the crosses bug and I will experiment with different settings that hopefully will make the 2 strikers furtherly improved.

Despite your critisism - I'm gonna post your best result ever on the front page ! :)

Cheers Pal!

hey pal, didn't want to come off as being disappointed...great job on the tactic :) and apologies if my original post didnt mention that. Not many people can tweak/change existing tactics and be successful. Its just that there were a few things I thought can be improved on/be slightly different. Otherwise its one of the most high scoring tactics that I've played with, especially if you love strikers with loads of goals!

Last edited:
Same as you the striker running to the touchline and then the corner flag does my head in.
So I thought if the right hand striker tracks the fullback on the left and vice versa for the left hand striker when they do get the ball their immediate thoughts will be to get back over to the other side of the pitch.
This has proven to be the case.

For whatever reason it seems because they ARE looking to move infield they are also seeing passes they would not normally see, even finding the other striker with what can only be described as DELICIOUS stinger cross field passes.
(passes that in two years of FM13 I have never seen)

sorry if I missed it before, but you this this manually by marking fullbacks before a games starts and then saving the tactic?

Would ofcourse need to be redone for wingback and wide midifielder systems?