Portsmouth Europa League appeal rejected by FA

I think thats a good decision. They are cash strapped and already relegated so they should be concentrating on getting back into the Premier League but more importantly the long term future of the club. They were never going to go far in the Europa League next season, so it's good for them and for whoever takes their place in the competition.

Lets just hope everton can get there above liverpool in the 3 closing games and ill be happy BUT if liverpool win the europa league will everton get into the europa league if liverpool finished 7th???

Hope that makes sense.

Good. It would have been really unfair on a team like Everton if they managed to get into the Europa spot only to have Portsmouth turn on the waterworks and get the decision overturned despite missing the deadline.

Probably would have been good for them more money you say they would not get far in the Europa league did any single one of us expect Fulham to do so well ? All this application and deadline bs , in my eyes if you qualify you qualify end of.

Last edited:
Hm, happy we can really try 'til the end of the season and push for top 7, maybe top 6 if Liverpool/Fulham win Europa League

This decision is complete bullshit!!!! Im not a pompey fan but it still sucks. Forget the deadline ****, like Gza said if you qualify you qualify. Talk about kicking them when they're down.

This decision is complete bullshit!!!! Im not a pompey fan but it still sucks. Forget the deadline ****, like Gza said if you qualify you qualify. Talk about kicking them when they're down.

There's a deadline for a reason. Deadlines are set to maintain order and structure within the leagues. Why should Portsmouth be able to get Europa league football at the expense of another team, just because they are in a mess right now? The rules are there for everyone.

Let's allow transfer windows to be open all season long, shall we, or let's allow players on loan to ignore the loan termination deadline and just keep playing for their new team.

Better yet, let's scrap the system and not have any structure. Teams can play for fun without any need for points.

Idiot.

There's a deadline for a reason. Deadlines are set to maintain order and structure within the leagues. Why should Portsmouth be able to get Europa league football at the expense of another team, just because they are in a mess right now? The rules are there for everyone.

Let's allow transfer windows to be open all season long, shall we, or let's allow players on loan to ignore the loan termination deadline and just keep playing for their new team.

Better yet, let's scrap the system and not have any structure. Teams can play for fun without any need for points.

Idiot.

How is he an idiot? Portsmouth deserve the place, if you cannot see that then you are clearly blind. They reached the FA Cup final and may even go on to win it, and the fact they are in administration means it's difficult for them to obtain a UEFA license, but if there is any chance of them getting one they should be given the opportunity before 7th place.

This has nothing to do with transfer windows or loans, this is because UEFA are refusing to give Pompey a license due to their finances, they were allowed to sell players outside of the transfer window, so your examples clearly fail.

I mean you are seriously over exaggerating, what's the worst that can come from waiting another week or so?

the fact they are in administration means it's difficult for them to obtain a UEFA license, but if there is any chance of them getting one they should be given the opportunity before 7th place.

Dont want to get involved in the 'discussion' too much, but its not becuase they are in administration, they freely admitted its because they forgot to send off the paperwork. Only when they realised thier mistake did UEFA/FA turn around and say OK you can submit your paperwork for a license late, but youve got to be out of administration by a certain date (first week of May i think)

My fear is that it will allow Liverpool to wriggle their way into Europe by the back door yet again, anyone remember the whole 4th/5th place fiasco with Everton and Liverpool that saw both of them playing in the champions league?

Last edited:
Well said Andy he could have at least made a stupid point without calling people idiots.

Dont want to get involved in the 'discussion' too much, but its not becuase they are in administration, they freely admitted its because they forgot to send off the paperwork. Only when they realised thier mistake did UEFA/FA turn around and say OK you can submit your paperwork for a license late, but youve got to be out of administration by a certain date (first week of May i think)

My fear is that it will allow Liverpool to wriggle their way into Europe by the back door yet again, anyone remember the whole 4th/5th place fiasco with Everton and Liverpool that saw both of them playing in the champions league?

It was the end of May I think and I know they missed the deadline but they have refused them this time because of administration I thought? Oh well, just don't see why he's calling people idiots just for voicing their opinion, the only real reason I even commented.

Yes I remember that, although I don't really want us to be in Europa League next season, we need to concentrate on the league so Everton can take it. Do you remember last season or the season before when everyone played their second string of players because it was a hopeless competition with far too many games?

I think the whole system of who qualifys for Europe should be looked at in general. If a team makes the FA final and dont win it then why should they then be allowed to qualify for Europe if the team that wins it are already in the Champions league. The remaining places should be given to clubs in the league anyway as that is a whole campaign that proves how good a team is over 38 games. I think its the right decision as at the time Portsmouth did not think they would of qualified for Europe hence not applying for the licence.

How is he an idiot? Portsmouth deserve the place, if you cannot see that then you are clearly blind. They reached the FA Cup final and may even go on to win it, and the fact they are in administration means it's difficult for them to obtain a UEFA license, but if there is any chance of them getting one they should be given the opportunity before 7th place.

This has nothing to do with transfer windows or loans, this is because UEFA are refusing to give Pompey a license due to their finances, they were allowed to sell players outside of the transfer window, so your examples clearly fail.

I mean you are seriously over exaggerating, what's the worst that can come from waiting another week or so?

Alright, I'll take it slow because people must have just woken up.

I called him an idiot because he thinks that rules should be different for a club just because they are in a financial crisis right now. Portsmouth didn't adhere to the rules and 'forgot' (personally I think it was deliberate), to send off the necessary paperwork to apply for European football next season. Quite frankly it's another sob story for Portsmouth, and it's getting rather boring. If it were any other team, people would definitely not be supporting the idea.

As for my examples about transfer windows/loans, they are referring to other deadlines in football. If you want to ignore one rule, then why not ignore them all? They are there for a reason, as my post clearly indicated.

I think if you earn the right to qualify you should be able to play, but if we haven't got the license before the deadline I guess that's the way it goes.

Still sucks though, especially as we've just found out debts are over £100m.

I think the whole system of who qualifys for Europe should be looked at in general. If a team makes the FA final and dont win it then why should they then be allowed to qualify for Europe if the team that wins it are already in the Champions league. The remaining places should be given to clubs in the league anyway as that is a whole campaign that proves how good a team is over 38 games. I think its the right decision as at the time Portsmouth did not think they would of qualified for Europe hence not applying for the licence.

Give Pompey a chance, they haven't even played the final yet :p

Imagine how boring FM would be if it went to like a league team :(

Alright, I'll take it slow because people must have just woken up.

I called him an idiot because he thinks that rules should be different for a club just because they are in a financial crisis right now. Portsmouth didn't adhere to the rules and 'forgot' (personally I think it was deliberate), to send off the necessary paperwork to apply for European football next season. Quite frankly it's another sob story for Portsmouth, and it's getting rather boring. If it were any other team, people would definitely not be supporting the idea.

As for my examples about transfer windows/loans, they are referring to other deadlines in football. If you want to ignore one rule, then why not ignore them all? They are there for a reason, as my post clearly indicated.

He said nothing about a financial crisis, he said that they deserved to qualify which they do, and albeit they forgot the deadline they should be given a second chance, if it were anyone else I would expect the same.

I'm not too bothered, hence why I'm not writing much but my view is if you earn the right then you should be allowed to enter, why should Everton be allowed in if they have not earnt it in any way other than technicalities, is that how you want football to be run? Like a robot, full of technical bullshit, that ****** on the little teams in order to 'meet the deadlines'. It's pathetic

And to be honest transfers have probably gone through after transfer deadlines..

Last edited:
I know it sucks, and if it were my club then I'd be gutted, but put yourselves in Everton/Liverpool shoes.

They are under the impression that they can achieve Europa league football, and they manage to secure the spot necessary, only to have it snatched from them because Portsmouth are given a second chance in their application simply because everyone is taking pity on them at the moment.

Where would the pity be for the team that actually qualified and didn't miss their application deadline?

As for arguing, I'm done also, but I feel strongly about this topic and am generally tired of these Portsmouth stories floating about now.

But red rup you are failing to notice the fact they are also taking the Europa away from Portsmouth , they Didn't qualify through pity , they qualified just like everyone else its nothing to do with there money position its because they EARNED THERE SPOT , and its taken away from them through money problems not given. That's like saying if Liverpool qualify then go bust in pre season they don't deserve to be in it lol

Its been taken away from them because they never applied for the licence regardless of wether they earnt it.