Portugal 23 Man Squad Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decent squad, don't know much about any of those keepers though? Who is the new number 1 since Ricardo has gone too old?

Ricardo was Scolari first choice keeper, from 2004 until 2008. However, when Queiroz took charge the keeper he chose was Quim, from Benfica. However, in November 2008, in a friendly against Brazil, which we lost 6-2, Queiroz blamed Quim for the result instead of admitting he doesn't fit the job and is only there because our federation chairman is sleeping. Then he started calling Eduardo, Braga GK, who is one of the responsables for his team fantastic season (finished 2nd 5 points after Benfica)

as said before, Danny and Ronaldo can play up front, also i really hope Nani does amazing in the worldcup, i want people to see that he's a better all round footballer than Ronaldo, a team player who beats his opposition and can put in a good cross.. not be like ronaldo and call yourself a winger but basically play up front :\. Ronaldo's still good.. but Nani is my favourite United player and has been since he joined, so i am kinda bias

I am just going to say it, then watch DMF cry later :)

this squad is *****, shouldnt even get throug the group stages

I agree Scott, even though we have our problems squad wise.

THAT ^ will serve us no problems at all. The weakest squad i have seen from Portugal in my life time.

and what do you know about Portuguese football ?

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

I agree Scott, even though we have our problems squad wise.

THAT ^ will serve us no problems at all. The weakest squad i have seen from Portugal in my life time.

Your lifetime ?
Euro 2000
World Cup 2002
Euro 2004
World Cup 2006
Euro 2008

good defensively but its the same old problem of front. i dont know why they naturalised leidson. hes the type of the striker they dont need up front front they someone who can hold it up, and presents and aerial threat. ronaldo really should be used as the lone front man

Our squad is strong, just because you don't recognise names doesn't mean it's a weak squad.

We've got the toughest possible run in out of any teams so to get to the quarter finals in my opinion would be an excellent feat for a "***** squad".

good defensively but its the same old problem of front. i dont know why they naturalised leidson. hes the type of the striker they dont need up front front they someone who can hold it up, and presents and aerial threat. ronaldo really should be used as the lone front man

I disagree. The fact we have Ronaldo on the wings means we don't play typical 4-3-3 football where we give it to a target man and get the players to run past him. We usually play it from the back, and use our creative midfielders to full effect and get them to feed into the the wingers who usually cut in and shoot or cross into the front man and one of the midfielders (usually Meireles) plus the opposite winger. That is the reason our wingers have such good scoring records for their country. Liedson is a goal scorer which is what we need and he scores in the big games as well as the not so important games. He has a good record for us and he's fairly old to be starting his international career so we'll be hoping for a big tournament from him in what could prove to be his first and final tournament for us.

Oh, I just remember him being quite good.
Quaresma? Not so good, in my opinion.

Few good seasons when playing for Porto, but when he was at Barcelona (well, maybe too young then), Inter and Chelsea, he did nothing.

He seemed to be going to tunr into a class player, but...just seemed.

Deco will have to provide the creative spark while C.Ronaldo will have to be at his best........Simao and Nani will also have to hit form if Portugal want to go far in the World Cup

Our squad is strong, just because you don't recognise names doesn't mean it's a weak squad.

We've got the toughest possible run in out of any teams so to get to the quarter finals in my opinion would be an excellent feat for a "***** squad".

Who says i dont recognise the players? For a top international side, this squad is shocking, you probaly will beat england at some stage, but the point stands this squad is shocking

Who says i dont recognise the players? For a top international side, this squad is shocking, you probaly will beat england at some stage, but the point stands this squad is shocking

Well if you recognise the players you'd know that apart from the obvious omission of Moutinho that's probably the strongest squad we could have named in terms of talent and experience.

Well if you recognise the players you'd know that apart from the obvious omission of Moutinho that's probably the strongest squad we could have named in terms of talent and experience.

Completely agree with u mate....although I am still gutted at not seeing Moutinho in the squad

Decent team in my opinion.

Pepe is a tankish beast though.

Moutinho? not even that good. I'm gutted at not seeing Carlos Martins in the squad.

I disagree. The fact we have Ronaldo on the wings means we don't play typical 4-3-3 football where we give it to a target man and get the players to run past him. We usually play it from the back, and use our creative midfielders to full effect and get them to feed into the the wingers who usually cut in and shoot or cross into the front man and one of the midfielders (usually Meireles) plus the opposite winger. That is the reason our wingers have such good scoring records for their country. Liedson is a goal scorer which is what we need and he scores in the big games as well as the not so important games. He has a good record for us and he's fairly old to be starting his international career so we'll be hoping for a big tournament from him in what could prove to be his first and final tournament for us.
but its asking ronaldo to do almost all the work, and in the tougher games you need it to stick up front.

defensively awesome, 9 cleans sheets recently or something like that. but in the tougher games i think you will struggle with someone to hold it up front

but its asking ronaldo to do almost all the work, and in the tougher games you need it to stick up front.

defensively awesome, 9 cleans sheets recently or something like that. but in the tougher games i think you will struggle with someone to hold it up front

We dont ask too much of Ronaldo really..

He didn't score once during qualification and although we struggled to qualify we weren't lacking goals just our midfield wasn't battling which is why he put Pepe into midfield. Our whole team chips in and were solid defensively like you said so we've got the foundations of a successful team, we just seem to self implode like Zebedee said which ultimately costs us. You just have to look at our recent performances in tournaments since World Cup 2002 to show that we've vastly improved.

We dont ask too much of Ronaldo really..

He didn't score once during qualification and although we struggled to qualify we weren't lacking goals just our midfield wasn't battling which is why he put Pepe into midfield. Our whole team chips in and were solid defensively like you said so we've got the foundations of a successful team, we just seem to self implode like Zebedee said which ultimately costs us. You just have to look at our recent performances in tournaments since World Cup 2002 to show that we've vastly improved.
hope so, we're relying on you to do one over brazil so they finish 2nd play and spain :p. though if you finish 2nd, you'll likely play spain, which would be another awesome game. so many good games on your side of the draw

Portugal have a tough task getting through as Ivory Coast are a good side, and Nani needs shooting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.