Portugal v Argentina - 9Feb 8PM

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Much better first half than the England game...

Need Argentina to win, then I'll win my accumulator :p

So first goal was a quick play from Messi and Di Maria... Our goal was from a good cross to the box, Almeida heads it and Ronaldo gets it before Romero... This first half was average, with both teams doing some good moves but its getting a little fisical, so i hpe that the second half calms down everybody (especially B. Alves).

Well to be fair, that was just Bruno being Bruno, don't tell me Messi can't handle being overpowered, no need to throw a 'punch', sort of like he did.

I don't like Milito in the back, he's a solid defender but he's too short (1.79m). Portugal have several players that are good in the air, I swear I want to cry everytime I see a cross into the box. I'm not sure I like Lavezzi, and I think Rojo is still raw, but has a bright future ahead of him, so I don't mind. It's good for him to get some minutes on the pitch with the big guys.

You can take Alves from Porto, but never that Porto side from Alves... xD jk

Lets see how this 2nd half goes... Portugal allez!

Ronaldo will come off at HT. Almost certain of it.. he took his shirt off when he walked off.

Danny will come on, they'll take off Messi and we'll win 3-1.

Still certain now :p Probably trying to show off.

Ahhh.. Argies score a last minute penalty through Messi. Gutted.

A draw would have been a fair result imo.

Meh we didn't quite deserved to lose. Not with a pen, certainly. I still believe we can beat them any day tbh

how much did it end, and who scored please, i was watching brazil

2-1,messi scored a penalty on 88th minute, didnt look like one.Also di maria and ronaldo scored.

Argentina 2-1 Portugal - Di Maria (14), Messi (90+1 (Pen)) / Ronaldo (20)

Get in!
boring second half, just 2 headers hitting the post, and Almeida doing a Heskey

great performance by Messi and Milito

2-1 for Argentina.

IMO Argentina played well in the build up and all since they have Messi and all. Could've scored some more probably such as two Pastore chances.
Same goes for portugal with hugo almeida epic fail miss

Portugal on the ohter hand defend very well especially on Messi drifting him outside the danger area and effectively counter attack Argentina's weak and aging backline (especially Milito he sucked).

Prefer Di Maria's goal really. Cheeky chipping assist by Messi.
Ronaldo goal eventho he showed his scoring instinct but if Argen had a better keeper he would've get to the ball sooner or block the right way.

Deserved result for Argentina, for me at least. Draw probably would've been a more deserved for some portugal fans, not a win though

__

Is it me or was it a pretty physical game for a friendly?

Last edited:
bah, that last minute penalty was quite bad, as i think that a draw was a better and fair result. Low quality 2nd half, very fisical, unfortunally...

For once, Ronaldo outshone Nani in a Portugal shirt :O

Yeah the fact that it was a penalty winning goal and at the last minute must be a punch straight to the face for portugal. But it was a clear penalty tho.

The defender clearly stick his leg out

But yeah it was a very poor game. Was expecting more attacking flair and probably better goals

It was a definite penalty, no question - but it wasn't deserving of a winning goal.

Draw would definitely have been the fairest result, but that's football. Ronaldo definitely played better than Messi while he was on the pitch (60 mins)..

At one point, Ronaldo even sprinted back into his own half to outmuscle Messi and take the ball back, only for Meireles to come and crunch Messi and give them a free kick anyway.

My opinion:

Liked:
Argentina:
We tried some of the new guns, Martinez showed a lot of enthusiasm and his intervention in the play that lead to the penalty was nice to see. Rojo had a good game on the attack (Had all sorts of issues with Nani, though, but he's still young and can only improve), and of course Messi, but that's no surprise. I also liked Pastore and Milito, I still think he's too short, though.

Portugal:
I think their best player today was Nani, he proved too much for Rojo to handle. I also liked Coentrão, his only mistake, unfortunately, was the penalty. I think he didn't see Martinez, tried to kick the ball out and got the player instead. His tackle before the penalty was great. Also, to be noted, Rui Patricio saved a great Messi free kick and a one on one with Pastore. As a team, they displayed great discipline in attack and in defence for the first minutes of the first and second half.

Disliked:
Argentina:
Messi-dependence. Having to go deep into our half to fetch the ball left us without a reference up front, slowed our game and tired him needlessly. We need a playmaker in the middle of the park to distribute the ball properly. Lavezzi was too predictable, and although he made a few contributions (A good cross for Rojo to head just wide, for instance), he didn't show much to be honest. Romero wasn't playing with confidence, and didn't claim a few balls that were clearly his to take, scared the **** out of me. Di Maria, goal aside, was not precise in the first few minutes, although he improved later.

Portugal:
Hugo Almeida missed an absolute sitter, and was caught offside more often than not. By the end of both halves their discipline dissapeared and we were able to exploit some gaps in midfield and defence. Meireles didn't have the best of games either.

The referee was pretty bad, tbh, should've booked Mascherano in the first half, and arguably Meireles as well, and maybe Coentrão for that push on Masche when he was on the ground.

All in all, a draw would have been a good result, although this win probably gives the new boys much needed confidence and hopefully they'll become regulars sometime soon. It wasn't the best of games for either side, and Coentrão's unfortunate mistake is what separated both sides tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.