Portugal's provisional squad for WC

vishal

Reaction score
Portugal's provisional squad:

Goalkeepers: Beto (Porto), Daniel Fernandes (Iraklis), Eduardo (Braga).

Defenders: Fabio Coentrao (Benfica), Paulo Ferreira (Chelsea), Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea), Ze Castro (Deportivo La Coruna), Bruno Alves (Porto), Rolando (Porto), Ricardo Costa (Lille), Duda (Malaga), Pepe (Real Madrid), Miguel (Valencia).

Midfielders: Tiago (Atletico Madrid), Deco (Chelsea), Raul Meireles (Porto), Nani (Manchester United), Miguel Veloso (Sporting Lisbon), Pedro Mendes (Sporting Lisbon).

Forwards: Simao Sabrosa (Atletico Madrid), Hugo Almeida (Werder Bremen), Liedson (Sporting Lisbon), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Danny (Zenit St Petersburg).

Loving it, although I'm rather surprised that Rui Patricio isn't involved. I was sure Pepe had been ruled out of the WC with a knee injury..

After lookin at the spain squad portugal dont look great there is only 4/5 players hear that woul get on the spain 30 man squad.

WHAT!!!!
They picked Ronaldo poor them. ;)

They haven't got a chance with those players.

How can you compare this squad with the Spanish squad. The only team that comes close to the depth of the Spanish team is Brazil, and even then they would struggle to match up.

We will be underdogs, seeing as our group is;

Brazil (5 Time World Champions)
Ivory Coast (Strongest African Team)
North Korea (Nobody Knows About Them)

If we manage to finish second in our group (probably behind Brazil), then we get Spain (as they'll no doubt win their group) meaning we get the two top ranked teams in the World in the first two rounds of the competition.

It is possible with our players to beat those sides though.. we aren't ranked 3rd in the World for no reason ;)

I think Pepe would be too good too leave out tobe fair, im sure he can drop him anyways if he thinks he wont make it.. Even if he could come in after maybe the 1st or 2nd game.. Hard group though

Queiroz is a confused man. Plays our best CB (although craziest) in central midfield meaning he has to leave out either Meireles, Moutinho or Veloso to accomodate it. Worried about our left back position though, will probably play Duda there, and he isn't the greatest :/

How can you compare this squad with the Spanish squad. The only team that comes close to the depth of the Spanish team is Brazil, and even then they would struggle to match up.

We will be underdogs, seeing as our group is;

Brazil (5 Time World Champions)
Ivory Coast (Strongest African Team)
North Korea (Nobody Knows About Them)

If we manage to finish second in our group (probably behind Brazil), then we get Spain (as they'll no doubt win their group) meaning we get the two top ranked teams in the World in the first two rounds of the competition.

It is possible with our players to beat those sides though.. we aren't ranked 3rd in the World for no reason ;)
if you dont want to be compared to spain then dont brag that yous are 1 place behind spain

they are better then Most give them credit for, there attackng players are awesome, when they in top form, not many could deal with them.

Ronaldo, Simao, nani, All very skillful players,

Danny pure class
Leidson Goal scorer.

We are one place behind Spain, but you can't compare the two squads. You're comparing the strongest squad, to one of the weaker squads but stronger teams. If we have a fully fit squad, we can compete with anyone in the World, but we don't have the depth to cover injuries. We don't have many match winners, we have Ronaldo, Liedson, Simao, Nani and maybe Deco. Spain's whole squad can win games single handedly, including their centre halves.

If you put our strongest 11 vs their strongest 11, it would be a very entertaining match, but if you put their second 11 vs our second 11 they would thump us, simply because of the incredible depth they have. Think about the players they have that aren't in their 30 man squad. Soldado, Raul, Arteta, players like that would probably walk into our squads.

We are as strong as them 11 vs 11, but comparing the squads is silly, because nobody has as strong a squad as theirs, only Brazil come close and even then they aren't really on a par with the Spaniards, hence why the Spaniards are very strong favourites to win the competition.

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

No Mountinho?

He must be injured, can't imagine Queiroz leaving him out without a valid reason.

Queiroz and Moutinho for Portugal is like Capello and Heskey for England.

Yays Pepe.

You can never count a team out of a competition that has Ronaldo in it.

We might just surprise you. Call me biased, but I bet here 500€ we will beat Brasil and come first in the group (H)
And Coentrão, finally!

CR will have to play out of his skin if they are to get to the QFs but being potugal they prob will.

yes and so will Bruno Alves, Pepe, Simão, Nani, Fábio, Deco, Ricardo Carvalho...Not only CR :) Come on, we just don't have a 5* bench, but our first team can compete with ANY team in the WC

I really don't like this squad. We have most of our good players, yes but there are some things I think he shouldn't do. First of all, Carlos Martins and Ruben Amorim should be called, has they are really motivated due to the championship they got this season. Besides, they are both better than Tiago (who already gave all he has to the team, now he is in the declining phase of his careet) and Ze Castro (who sometimes manages to get a place at Deportivo bench), respectively. At last but not the least, I'd like to know how the **** Daniel Fernandes, who is in Bochum reserves and has benn loaned to Iraklis, can get a place in this team, while some class keepers like Rui Patricio and Quim (or even Hilario...), who made a very good season, can't impress Queiroz. My biggest surprise is exactly that, Queiroz still managing our team... But let's see, I just hope he is right about his choices...

right on spot Castro how the **** did I forget crazy Carlinhos or Ruben Amorim. Carlos Martins is way better than Meireles on an inspired performance. And **** yeah, just kill Queiroz already. Still the odds are against us, and that always gave us the lead :p

Queiroz announced six reserves, after being contested by 99% of the portuguese people (the remaining 1% doesn't know anything about football). Here are the six alternatives:

Rui Patricio (Sporting CP), Ruben Amorim (Benfica), Manuel Fernandes (Valencia), Joao Moutinho (Sporting CP), Makukula (Kayserispor), Eliseu (Zaragoza)