Possession 101 by Raikan007

• Thread starter Thread starter Raikan007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 19K
Interesting project mate, I never really got this to work. I think you might be better at the game, so I will follow this project!
I think you'll find that getting a lot of possesion isn't that hard actually. Key is having wingers/full backs/wingbacks/wide midfielders(/strikers) that hug the touchline in combination with a narrow formation. This does 2 things. When having the ball it stretches up the pitch, making space for your midfielders to complete their passes and making it hard for the opposing team to get possession. And when you lose the ball, you will be able to apply a lot of pressure because of the narrow formation. Obviously you'll need a slow build up and you need your defence to push forward.
I found the hard part to be scoring without a striker. You might already expect that, but getting your midfielders to score is even harder than you think:P. I suggest lots of forward runs and you must have midfielders with great off the ball ratings to get into scoring position. I experimented by setting several players cut inside (especially the wide players). This improved scoring a little, but also my possession declined as passes to the players that were cutting inside are more risky.

I hope this helps

am rly interested to see how u could have a gd possession tactic whilst also getting some CCC's :)
I tried everything with the possession break and the only thing i slightly succeded with was 1 cdm, 2 AM, 1 AP , 1 T , 2 DLF
ends up being 3-1-3-3 which is rly making me vulnerable in the counter attack

Very interesting project, indeed! Will be following this for sure!
I'm currently trying to create my first possession based tactic, playing as Barcelona. A wide 4-3-3 with no striker. My first preseason game went ok, bare in mind that my match preperation had only been going on for 7 in game days. 72% possession and 4 CCC's. Only won 1-0, but it's looking promising :)

am rly interested to see how u could have a gd possession tactic whilst also getting some CCC's :)
I tried everything with the possession break and the only thing i slightly succeded with was 1 cdm, 2 AM, 1 AP , 1 T , 2 DLF
ends up being 3-1-3-3 which is rly making me vulnerable in the counter attack

I believe it was mostly to do with the PPMs. If you have them implemented in your team, and you use the striker exploit :), you can increase the CCCs

I believe it was mostly to do with the PPMs. If you have them implemented in your team, and you use the striker exploit :), you can increase the CCCs
ya well , playing with juve is a bit of pain cuz i nvr win more than 4-0 even with the 4-3-3 narrow focused mostly on CCC's and getting goals careless of possession .
Dno where the problem is tbh

ya well , playing with juve is a bit of pain cuz i nvr win more than 4-0 even with the 4-3-3 narrow focused mostly on CCC's and getting goals careless of possession .
Dno where the problem is tbh

Maybe you need to focus your game into the target man, T-balls on him, a pacey striker with good composure. There is a way to put those instructions in the forum, dunno where. Some people say its an exploit, but it could improve your CCCs.

Also, dont forget that with this kind of tactic you will never win more than that if you dont sacrifice some possession. Cannot have it all :D

View attachment 268191

Raikan007 I have uploaded a tactic of mine, called Ingoball (atm in the moderation queue).

Since you are developing a possession tactic I thought you would welcome a working (read: goalscoring) corner set-up.
If you like check my attacking corner settings in this tactic (if approved) and see if you can use that to create more goal scoring opportunities without losing possession.

Nice to hear you're working on a new possession tactic :) Have you tried utilising a sweeper? By this I mean with 2 CBs and WBs or maybe 2 DMs and Wingers/widemen.

I suggest this because essentially Barca (i know it's not a recreation but they're possession masters) when attacking, only use 1 CB and I know for sure 2 Anchormen and a Limited Sweeper resembles this somewhat. Defensively I would think it's dubious though.

Interesting project mate, I never really got this to work. I think you might be better at the game, so I will follow this project!
I think you'll find that getting a lot of possesion isn't that hard actually. Key is having wingers/full backs/wingbacks/wide midfielders(/strikers) that hug the touchline in combination with a narrow formation. This does 2 things. When having the ball it stretches up the pitch, making space for your midfielders to complete their passes and making it hard for the opposing team to get possession. And when you lose the ball, you will be able to apply a lot of pressure because of the narrow formation. Obviously you'll need a slow build up and you need your defence to push forward.
I found the hard part to be scoring without a striker. You might already expect that, but getting your midfielders to score is even harder than you think:P. I suggest lots of forward runs and you must have midfielders with great off the ball ratings to get into scoring position. I experimented by setting several players cut inside (especially the wide players). This improved scoring a little, but also my possession declined as passes to the players that were cutting inside are more risky.

I hope this helps

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...discussion-creation-centre-hints-tips-20.html

hey bud :) take a gander at my other thread :) this is just a side project for the community itself, I have several possession tactics :)

shot for the input!

I love the match engine. I was messing about with Spain and played a few fixtures without a defender, good fun and actually works.

I love the match engine. I was messing about with Spain and played a few fixtures without a defender, good fun and actually works.

I tried without a keeper, but Fm would not let me lol :)

I had a 0 10 0 formation, just DM's and CM's and AM"s :) lol

Busy making a Swansea type Brendan Rogers tactic for a member here at the moment, this has taken a bit of a back seat for now ;)

has anyone had any success so far with results?

the tactic I have made so far averages about 65-80% possession each game, creates a **** of a lot of chances and scores lovely goals.. however, the most passes are about 60-85..

That is not relative to the actual tactic as it is similar to Swansea but I might end up using that as a template for this :)

Busy making a Swansea type Brendan Rogers tactic for a member here at the moment, this has taken a bit of a back seat for now ;)

has anyone had any success so far with results?

the tactic I have made so far averages about 65-80% possession each game, creates a **** of a lot of chances and scores lovely goals.. however, the most passes are about 60-85..

That is not relative to the actual tactic as it is similar to Swansea but I might end up using that as a template for this :)
would love to give that one a go

Back