Possession 101 by Raikan007

• Thread starter Thread starter Raikan007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 19K
no as it is impossible to use so I scrapped it...

it was the exact same as one of the tactics on the first page, the 360 one I had :) just put the keeper to CM :P

it was something like this:

View attachment 268329

Ha if only it worked! I think im going to give it a try but with a gk lol I might try SK - A, so the gk will get the d-line pushed high up.

For possession tactics, do you want a high or deep d-line?

Attacking Possession tactic

Here is the template/tactic for my Brendan Rogers style attacking possession tactic! It will not get you over 1000 passes etc.. it might get you over 100 passes after about 20 games using it or so.. only used it for about 5 or so at the moment and is giving me some great results :)

I suggesting sticking it in your match prep for at least 3 months before using it! let it get familiar before implementing it, when you do make sure its at home vs a weaker team and build on it from there!

Do not implement it immediately.. it may not work.. or do and see if it does! Up to you! in now way have I completed this tactic but for the sake of the thread itself and the member who asked me to create this, here it is :) enjoy!

Use Counter strategy when away from home (this just lowers the mentality a bit and keeps it about normal) I dropped from fluid to balanced as well to bring down the mentality.. and control when at home!

The attacking players have all default mentalities (I have left the mentalities unticked and set manually) so that when you do change strategies it impacts them, the rest of the players have been pre-set already!
get what I mean? :)

Formation:
View attachment 268330

Shouts:
View attachment 268331

Tactic:

View attachment 268341View attachment 268340View attachment 268338View attachment 268337View attachment 268336View attachment 268335View attachment 268334View attachment 268333View attachment 268332View attachment 268342

Tactic download:

Link:

I'm currently working on a 4-6-0 asymmetric tactic. will put up results after I achieve consistent pass & possession stats.

Thanks, I guess that would only work with a very deep D-Line so balls don't get played over the top.

Exactly. I didn't give the wing backs too much freedom and the Anchormen would sit pretty deep most of the time. It would be suicide against the likes of Germany or Brazil but Spain Vrs Andorra was fun.

One thing often overlooked, when using any tactics, is spending the time to check individual instructions. I've been using swoop there it is and reading up on my PPMs and have essentially got my players using the correct PPMs for that type of formation.

Its also becoming clear to me that its vitally important to digest what exactly the player's role entails to ensure the correct player is used. Sounds obvious right...just look at the player position and recommended stats? Well no...as Raikan says he's tweaked everything apart from the AMCs essentially??? Or for this tactic have I got that wrong?

That means you have to go through each players instructions to determine what attributes are suited to what the player is being asked to do and subsequently what PPMs need to be learned/unlearned to unleash the full potency of the formation!

With swoop there it is most players have a move into channel command and as such I've tried to get as many of them doing just that in their PPMs and its worked.

Bit of a waffle from me here but I just wanted people's thoughts on how they go about implementing a tactic like this. I've always seen it as a challenge to get a tactic like this working for any team, not just a big team. For the most part I do succeed but like most of us, you get to know the player database so well that you build up a knowledge of what players you'll bring in pre season.

Last edited:
Raikan I don't see my uploaded tactic in the tactic download section so I guess you could not have looked at the attacking set-up for corners.

So instead I'll write them down here for you (and others who are interested).

Going from a 4-2-3-1 tactic (like in my pic)

- Stay back (DR)
- Stay back (DL)
- 2nd post (attacking)...far post (flick on) if I am not mistaken (DC right)
- Challange the keeper (DC left)
- Stay back if needed (MC right)
- Luk outside the area (MC left)
- 1rst post (attacking)...near post (flick on) if I am not mistaken (AMC right)
- 1rst post (attacking)...near post (flick on) if I am not mistaken (AMC left)
- Go forward (AMC central)
- Go forward (AC)

The trick in this is:
- to take the left corner with a right footed player and the right corner with a left footed player.
- the player who is selected to take corners gets the setting "Go forward" or near post (flick on).
- the player set for "Challange the keeper" is a strong player with good heading (DC or DM mostly work good)
- the player set for "far post (flick on)" is your best heading player
- the player set for "stayback if needed" mostly is a DM or MC.
- the player set for "Lurk outside the area" mostly is a DM or MC...but...has to be observant, quick and strong enough to regain the ball again.

The corners are set to "Far post" for both left and right corners.

In my experience this set up provides regular goals and/or is set in such a way that possession is regained pretty fast and rarely results in a successful counter by the opponent.

I hope this interests you and will help you with providing goals while maintaining maximum possession.

I am a newb when it comes to creating tactics and according to my brother I am too much a critic of what my players show (impatience I guess lol).

But today, just for fun, I quickly created a tactic which imo need a lot of guts to use...I tested it with Barca against Real Madrid.

You peops here are more skilled in fine tuning tactics then I am...so please judge for yourself if the results are good or bad.

@ Raikan...maybe this is a daring tactical set-up which you can use for a new amazing possession tactic.

View attachment 268625View attachment 268626View attachment 268627View attachment 268628View attachment 268629View attachment 268630View attachment 268631View attachment 268632

I worked like **** to get a one cb tactic to work in fm12. Just dont work. Id rather see a tactic with 6 wingers.

View attachment 268772View attachment 268773View attachment 268774View attachment 268775View attachment 268776View attachment 268777Hi Raikan007 hows things? Love the post so i thought i would give it a go with my Xavi passing tactic and a free scoring tactic i made too. Once i mixed it about and chance a few things about it looks great. Here's a few screen shots. Going to start a new save with a league 1 or 2 team and see how it goes! Good luck with your one and i cant wait to see it. Oh one last thing no corner cheats took place in the making of this tactic.

Last edited:
I'd say it might be improved if all defensive minded midfielders and WBs/FBs are set to hard tackling if they aren't already as that seems to work quite well for me.
I wouldn't say putting them on hard tackling would work because you don't want to get a red card!!!!

I wouldn't say putting them on hard tackling would work because you don't want to get a red card!!!!
Those positions have good tackling and decisions in general so hard tackling has little risk of that and red cards are much more to do with the dirtiness attribute.

Back