Post A Random/Amazing Fact

• Thread starter Thread starter Kylo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 129
  • Views Views 6K
What's the driest place on Earth?

A place called Arica, in Chile, gets just 0.03 inches (0.76 millimeters) of rain per year. At that rate, it would take a century to fill a coffee cup.

[FONT=Century Gothic,Technical,Tempus Sans ITC,Gaze,Kids,Comic Sans MS,Verdana]The highest point in Pennsylvania is lower than the lowest point in Colorado. [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic,Technical,Tempus Sans ITC,Gaze,Kids,Comic Sans MS,Verdana]The United States has never lost a war in which mules were used. [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic,Technical,Tempus Sans ITC,Gaze,Kids,Comic Sans MS,Verdana]Children grow faster in the springtime. [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic,Technical,Tempus Sans ITC,Gaze,Kids,Comic Sans MS,Verdana]On average, there are 178 sesame seeds on each McDonalds BigMac bun. [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic,Technical,Tempus Sans ITC,Gaze,Kids,Comic Sans MS,Verdana]Paul Revere rode on a horse that belonged to Deacon Larkin. [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic,Technical,Tempus Sans ITC,Gaze,Kids,Comic Sans MS,Verdana]The Baby Ruth candy bar was actually named after Grover Cleveland's baby daughter, Ruth. [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic,Technical,Tempus Sans ITC,Gaze,Kids,Comic Sans MS,Verdana]Minus 40 degrees Celsius is exactly the same as minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit. [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic,Technical,Tempus Sans ITC,Gaze,Kids,Comic Sans MS,Verdana]Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of unwanted people without killing them used to burn their houses down -- hence the expression "to get fired" [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic,Technical,Tempus Sans ITC,Gaze,Kids,Comic Sans MS,Verdana]Nobody knows who built the Taj Mahal. The names of the architects, masons, and designers that have come down to us have all proved to be latter-day inventions, and there is no evidence to indicate who the real creators were. [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic,Technical,Tempus Sans ITC,Gaze,Kids,Comic Sans MS,Verdana]Every human spent about half an hour as a single cell. [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic,Technical,Tempus Sans ITC,Gaze,Kids,Comic Sans MS,Verdana]7.5 million toothpicks can be created from a cord of wood. [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic,Technical,Tempus Sans ITC,Gaze,Kids,Comic Sans MS,Verdana]The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets. [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic,Technical,Tempus Sans ITC,Gaze,Kids,Comic Sans MS,Verdana]A 41-gun salute is the traditional salute to a royal birth in Great Britain. [/FONT]

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

What's the driest place on Earth?

A place called Arica, in Chile, gets just 0.03 inches (0.76 millimeters) of rain per year. At that rate, it would take a century to fill a coffee cup.

Arica would be a nightmare for people who suffer from Xerophobia - fear of dryness. XD

Right handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left handed people do apparently.... Result (H)

**** you ;)

I'm known as sinister because I'm left handed

In the olden days, people had to write right handed as if you wrote left handed it was considered a bad omen oO)

Lefties ftw ;)

Its against the law to have a pet dog in Iceland :P My friend went to Iceland and he told me.

**** you ;)

I'm known as sinister because I'm left handed

In the olden days, people had to write right handed as if you wrote left handed it was considered a bad omen oO)

Lefties ftw ;)

I knew about the left-handed thing from American Dad ;)

The planet Mars would have water and an atmosphere like Earth but its molten core became solid causing the planet to lose its magnetic field,causing all its water and atmosphere to be stripped away by deadly solar winds.

Peanuts are pea's not nuts.

This is a gooden: The longest recorded flight of a chicken is 13 seconds

home_wht.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Vampire legends may have been based on Vlad of Walachia, also known as Vlad the Impaler (c. 1431-1476). He had a habit of nailing hats to people’s heads, skinning them alive, and impaling them on upright stakes. He also liked to dip bread into the blood of his enemies and eat it. His name, Vlad, means son of the dragon or Dracula, who has been identified as the historical Dracula. Though Vlad the Impaler was murdered in 1476, his tomb is reported empty. [/FONT]
home_wht.gif

Left handed children in Russia in the middle ages would have all the bones in the left hand broken and destroyed. The wrist would then be snapped so that you could bend the hand backwards so the fingers rest against the inside of your hand. A rope was then tied around the hand and arm to prevent the bones from regrowing properly. The child was then taken to a special school where they would learn to be right handed. The left hand would never grow back the same and would be effectively useless. Vodka was the only anaesthetic available and was only given in small doses. Joseph Stalin was left handed by necessity! :O

In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes when you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase, "Goodnight, sleep tight."

This is a gooden: The longest recorded flight of a chicken is 13 seconds

i've heard that somewhere before

ah yes, i think if must have been in a cross-curricular Latin lesson

In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes when you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase, "Goodnight, sleep tight."

I knew this one lol.
In his will all Shakespeare left to his wife was his SECOND BEST bed.
A Cockroach can live for 9 days without its head. It will only eventually die of starvation. Butterflies taste with their feet.

I knew this one lol.
In his will all Shakespeare left to his wife was his SECOND BEST bed.
A Cockroach can live for 9 days without its head. It will only eventually die of starvation. Butterflies taste with their feet.

Lol.9 days without its head.

Yeah the butterfly thing makes sense.

I swear all these are from the same website :P

A statue of a soldier on a horse is symbolic. If the horse has two hoofs in the air then the soldier died in combat. If the horse has one hoof in the air then the soldier later died of injuries sustained in combat. If the horse has all hoofs on the ground then it died of natural causes.

The player that has the most pointless threads about him on this site is probably Hulk. Just signed him for the first time and decided to take a look what other people have done with him and the live search gave me loads of threads named Hulk asking the same question: How to play him.

Thomas Edison was afraid of the dark.
When English settlers arrived in Australia they asked the aboriginal people the name of a creature they had seen that could jump far and the aborigines responded " Kan Ghu Ru." This is where the name Kangaroo came from. However, it was later discovered that "Kan Ghu Ru" was a native phrase meaning "We don't understand you."

A car traveling 100 mph would take more than 29 million years to reach the nearest star.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Aberdeen were the first team in Britain to have a dug out.
Glasgow Celtic were the first British team to win the European Cup
Liverpool were the third
Aberdeen Dundee, and Glasgow, are the only cities to have won the Premier Title.
Man Utd are the most well supported club in Britain,
Man Utd under Alex Ferguson have only won the League title when Eric Cantona, or Roy Keane was in the squad, that was fact written before they won the title with Fletcher,
Alex Ferguson is the only manager in Britain to have won the Scottish or I mean and English titles,
Feyenoord were the first North European team outside Britain to win a European Cup,
Brazil, have won the most World Cups, and first took this award, of most wins, in 1970,
No English manager has won England's League Title since, Howard Wilkinson, and before him, Howard Kendal, the last non-Howard Englishman was in the early 1980s.
The USA is the second most populous country to have been in the world cup
The last English team to win a Premiership trophy, from outside one of England's most famous cities, was Blackburn, and before that Nottingham,
Linfield are the biggest team, in Northern Ireland,
Barcelona, have won Catalan championshisp, before world war two, when Spanish football was not so united.
The Basque football team, played Wales in 2006, and have played many teams since starting in the late 20th Century, for unofficial internationals.
In 2006 Barry Town, have still won more Welsh League titles than anybody else.
American Football, Rugby Union and League, Soccer, and Aussie Rules all have similar 19thC origins,
A Frenchman founded the World Cup,
Burnley, Huddersfield Town, Portsmouth, Preston North End, Sheffield United, and Wolves are all teams who have won the English Top league, and played in the old Fourth Division,
Altrincham had 13 wins against League clubs when they were non League in 1945-1992,
Coventry went 26 Matches in their series with Aston Villa, 1937-88 without beating them
Upto 1992 Clyde had been relagated over 10 times,
Upto 1992 Peter Shilton had in that era just overtook Tommy Hutchinson to go up to 968 caps, above the 854 of the other guy
Arthur Rowley scored 434 goals for West Brom, Fulham, Leicester, and Shrewsbury in 46-65
Jimmy McGrory holds the Scottish record at 410 goals for Celtic and Clydebank, 1922-38
Trevor Francis was the first Million pound British player bought by Nottiongham Forest off Birmingham, Wille Grocves teh first 100 pounds for Aton Villa off WBA in 1892,
Bayern Munich to 1992 with 20 Trophies were Germany's most sucessful teram, Juventus Italy's with 30, Marseille France's with 18 Ajax the Netherlands' with 34 Real Madrid Spain;'s with 41
Clyde has been relegated 10 times upto 1992, a record in the Scottish League to then
In 1992 Carslile were the most isolated football league team in Britain
Dundee and Dundee United had the closest ground only 200 yards apart

Back