Post your frustrations - FM23 edition

Exactly my point, in real life a manager can make all the correct calls to try and reverse a result but can still ultimately fail. All you can do is try to maximise the possibilities of achieving a result - but like IRL, you can still be unlucky as there is always the chance a surprising result can occur because that's football.

All I'm saying is that it happens a little too frequently for my liking, to the point it is a game to be enjoyed, but it is less enjoyable because of the frequency. But I guess that's a balance that will always be difficult to achieve for the hardcore vs the more casual gamer.

It's not like I don't achieve any success at all, to the contrary I've had some great achievements in this year's game. But the enjoyment of the game is still considerably less in comparison to last years - but I do like the tactical direction the game is heading in and a desired lower effectiveness of plug and play.

The AI scores an exasperating number of long range shots even from players that are supposed to be always pressed and are not great at long shots. Just turn and blast the ball from 25-30 yards perfectly in the net. Meanwhile my elite striker Vlahovic is sending the ball into orbit from inside the box.
I get that the game is supposed to be challenging and sometimes yes, this happens IRL, but it just seems to happen waaaay to often.

Had a bit of an FM break, but played 4 games. First two games had 54 shots 29 on target. Won both games 1-0 with late goals. This despite my striker having 18 finishing, 17 compare etc etc. You get the picture. Both games there keeps had amazing games. Leeds were 17th and Palace 19th (I'm second).

The next game lost 0-2 to Bayern. I rested all my team as I had Arsenal and Liverpool coming up and I expected to lose anyway. But whilst they had 27 shots, only four were on target and my keeper De Keijzer, who has nuts stats at this point, all 17s and 18s bit a 6.2.

Next game at home to Arsenal, we dominated for 70 minutes but only scored one, then De Keijzer didn't save a **** that was straight at him.

It's still, and I feel like always will be, the same garbage. It doesn't matter what you do in a game, what stats your players have, the ME will just decide to screw you. It's so hard to keep up with Liverpool and City in this game, but to throw in the mix too notch strikers consistently missing and world class keepers making howler after howler, just because a team has a big rep (or in the case of lower teams, keeper must have a bangee......because). Frustrating.

I'm gunna list all the stuff that makes this game not only the worst FM of all time, but also the worst management SIM I've ever come across.

1. The mistakes. If there is anyone left who thinks the Match Engine doesn't know the difference between AI and Human controlled teams, they are lying fanboys. The evidence that this isn't the case is because the developer said so. The evidence that it does know is simple and clear. every single game without fail, my CBs or FBs or GK will make a mistake that leads to a goal. And this isn't even bad defending, it's blatant unforced errors that make absolutely zero sense. Interestingly this almost never happens to AI teams, just mine. And it's constant and it appears that player stats make no difference. Playing as Brighton, it is impossible that my choice of Centre Backs, Dunk, Webster, Gabriel and Sutalo would make these errors. They all have excellent mental stats alongside the obviously high defending stats.

2. Tactics and systems. I have tried a variety and I'm yet to find a system I can rely on. Alongside this is the fact that game to game, I've no idea if the players will follow my instructions or not. You are left playing a game whereby you are merely trying to find out how to beat the god awful match engine. This is not how a management SIM should behave. The defenders of FM like to remind us "this stuff happens in IRL" whilst interestingly ignoring that almost every team uses a regular tactic and a variety of these work throughout the league. Finding holes in the match engine to exploit is not how this game should work.

3. Shooting and blocking. As a poster earlier in this thread mentioned, there is very little you can control in this game. Most of this game is data, and thus you have to be able to rely on the stats if players. This is not their case. I have Iheanacho up front and he has 17 in finishing and technique, 16 for off the ball and composure, 15 for determination, and yet he misses ALL the time. I've never seen a striker waste so much 12 yards from goal. A lot of the problem is apparently AI teams defenders seem to be able to stretch their limbs in key areas to magically block shots despite being a yard or two behind the ball. The other biggest problem is that attackers dwell on the ball so much in the box, they often struggle to get shots off, despite yards of space. On the other hand, no matter the skill and stats of the opposition, they are all decisive almost every time.

4. XG is broken. I had an XG versus shots of plus nine. That was plus five more than the team second in this data set. But that makes no sense as I watch comprehensive highlights and I see my team waste great chance after great chance. I don't know how it possible to have the top shots on target, most saved shots and the highest XG to shots stats.

5. Shouts don't work, at all. I once encouraged my team who were one nil up after dominating Chelsea. But Chelsea started to turn the game so I encouraged the lads and they all went to angry red face. Even if encouragement did not work, I doubt that a whole XI would react badly, it makes no sense. Demand more is the only shout that does anything whatsoever.

6. Ludicrous signing bonuses. A player I had agreed to sign for 18 million wouldn't accept anything less than a 7.5 million signing bonus. Not even a top player. Signing new contracts is a nightmare and completely drains finances.

7. Stats mean almost nothing. It's covered above somewhat, but no matter the stats, my players will not do what the stats say they should. This is especially frustrating with keepers. Robert Sanchez is a good keeper and yet he barely makes any saves. In the friendly rage quit, he had 2 shots straight at him that he just refused to save, and this happened all last season. It is crazy to me that a keeper with his stays just can't save anything. Even in games where I somehow find a way to stop the AI creating anything, you can bet your bottom dollar they'll have a random shot and my keeper will just watch it go in.

I'm short, this game is an utter disgrace. Si should be utterly ashamed of themselves.
everything you said and more yet another waste of money. players just standing there. 30 shots at goal cant score oh and offside like 20 times ridiculous . Just make a game promote it sell it and don't give a sh-- what happens after that.

I think I'm going to give up FM23. The game engine is just... so bad. Defending players, be it defenders or midfielders are brain dead. I thought that moving to Real Madrid would change it, but it's the same as it was in Polish Ekstraklasa - the goals I score and concede are consistently the same flavour of individual errors. Watching actual games is painful, but I can't imagine this game without it. Good that it's in Game Pass so I didn't pay for it specifically. Here's hoping for actual improvements to the engine in the next one. And back to one of the older ones I guess.

Just started a Wrexham save. In the 15 games so far I've conceded 19 goals from 38 shots on target. Compared to my 36 goals from 99 on target. I have had one clean sheet in these games. It is purely ridiculous to see the opposition non league keepers fling themselves at every shot whilst my keepers let in every other shot they face. Dumb.

0-2 up after 60 minutes against bottom of the league. They have 69% passes completed. Suddenly my team, with 70% possession, 80something% pass competition starts passing like kids in the playground. They score three of their four shots on target, despite not managing 1 in the first 60 minutes.

It is utterly bonkers to me that FM23 ME still throws this **** up. The team are bottom of the league for a reason. Suddenly they are passing like prima Barcelona and finishing from every angle. Suddenly my CBs can't win headers, can't mark if they has to save their own lives and players missing 5/6 yard passes that ALWAYS lead to chances/goals.

Just make the game fair FFS. Almost all of my goals are well worked, all tightly co tested by the AIs defenders whilst their keepers male 9/10 saves every game, some worldies. Whereas, at the other end, my CBs get constantly beaten by 5'9 forwards, sometimes just run the wrong way to open up space for the opposing forwards or just stand still and let the man on the shoulder easily win the race. Its pathetic sometimes.

I think I'm going to give up FM23. The game engine is just... so bad. Defending players, be it defenders or midfielders are brain dead. I thought that moving to Real Madrid would change it, but it's the same as it was in Polish Ekstraklasa - the goals I score and concede are consistently the same flavour of individual errors. Watching actual games is painful, but I can't imagine this game without it. Good that it's in Game Pass so I didn't pay for it specifically. Here's hoping for actual improvements to the engine in the next one. And back to one of the older ones I guess.
The defending is one of the worst bits of code I've ever seen in an FM game. However, I rarely see poor defending or individual mistakes from the AI, which is frankly confusing. I've tried all the roles and jts a disaster, so I don't know what the AI is doing. I'd also like to know how the AI gets their keepers to perform such heroics and their strikers to tuck away every rare chance they get.

Also, nothing you do will change the result. You have 20 shots, computer has one, you are one nil down with 60 minutes left and no matter what you do, you lose one nil.

yhis game is the shittest on record and I now give up on the franchise.
The fact being, since cm days, it’s always been one shot one goal for the computer and the ey still haven’t.m fixed it, 30 years on!!!!
Crooks at best
God forbid the AI gets a red card. If that happens you won't even get shots at goal, let alone on target, and they will definitely score.

Except for the things I have read already in this thread. The transfer budgets and player costs are the worst. I’m Man Utd 5 seasons in. I don’t think i have had a budget over 70m for any summer. My predicted budget for season 6 is £20m lol. Then even more baffling seeing players valued at 300m plus 🤦🏻‍♂️

I keep forgetting just how bad this game is.

Except for the things I have read already in this thread. The transfer budgets and player costs are the worst. I’m Man Utd 5 seasons in. I don’t think i have had a budget over 70m for any summer. My predicted budget for season 6 is £20m lol. Then even more baffling seeing players valued at 300m plus 🤦🏻‍♂️
How you usually do your deals?
Up pay them upfront or you usually do as many do, pay on installments and future fees?

All right, I’ve just registered and I’m about to put my real frustrations regarding this game.
So, with at most, certainly, I can claim that this is the worst FM, by far, though there is a clear tendency of it going down in previous versions of the game. Here are some of observations and patterns:
  • In preseason games, everything works as charm. I have a feeling I can beat any team in the world.
  • Even if during the season, I’m first on the table as the end of the season of approaches, I literally lose every single game, no matter which team I am managing
  • Late goals, offsides, disallowed goals, terrible mistakes are unbelievably frustrating
  • I I had or bought all the top goalkeepers in the game and always the same pattern. They are making so many mistakes having grading under 6
  • I had or bought all the top Central defenders in the game and there is no way they can perform constantly during the season always making too many mistakes no consistency at all
  • AMC players are always playing well
  • Try all the tics even downloaded from forums and yet always the same outcome
  • Late goals and this allowed goals are always in 10 to 1 in favor of computer computer
  • To have a clean sheet in a game even against clear outsider, it’s a miracle
  • I have deleted or uninstalled these games for like 20 times and I’m always getting back to it hoping that they’ve changed something but it’s always the same pattern
  • Each next season, you get worse and worse, regardless of the fact that you strengthen the squad and you and you have all The best cohesion

Do I even need to say anything about this? This has to be the worst Football Manager ever produced.

Attachments

• This game sucks.png
    This game sucks.png
    215.6 KB · Views: 60
With OL in France,
Sitting in 2nd tied with OM.
7 games to go, so far conceding only 17 goals, and scoring 42. I proceed to concede 20 in those 7 games and scoring only 4.
Just holding on to 4th place.

No change in formation, no injuries of matter, regular rest so no tiredness.

Even looking at the stats, no real difference.
Ach xg over 1.5 for and less than 1 against.
Just can't buy a good rating for the players as a whole team.

It just always feels like FM is forcing narratives in games or seasons, creating drama.

For the tactics posted in the forum,
Try simulating a season and actually playing it and see the difference.
Most of those tactics work when the AI is in charge but feel when you are....

The stat Xg make no sense to me. I don't know what i'm supposed to do woth it, because even when i dominate and have more Xg than the oppenent i still lose. I feel like the frustration on FM 23 and 22 is too much.