Premier League - Your Team of the Year 2010

Billy

#THFC
Reaction score
So, with the year coming to a close, I was thinking about the 11 players who would feature in my 'Team of the Year'.

I made this thread to see how our teams may differ from one another, and to encourage discussion about particular players. You can be a biased as you want, but expect to be called on it. (H)

Please bear in mind that 2010 encompasses the majority of last season too, not just the start of this one.

So, without further ado, here is my team:

Reina
Ivanovic Vidic Dunne Cole
Nasri Lampard Fabregas Bale
Tevez Drogba

I'll explain my choices:

Reina - Shared golden glove with Cech, and given Liverpool's dismal season, the feat is far more impressive by the Spaniard.

Ivanovic - Right-back of the year, and with good reason. Playing out of his native CB spot, he put in an exceptional year in the full-back slot at Chelsea.

Vidic - Always solid and reliable, as well as scoring plenty of goals. Deserves a place in any Premier League, and arguably World, XI.

Dunne - Solid season in 2009/2010 season with Villa. They had the third least-conceded goals in the Premier League for a reason, and he was at the heart of their defence throughout.

Cole - Had a superb season during Chelsea's double-winning campaign. I also consider him to be the best in his position across the globe, so an automatic choice.

Nasri - Admittedly his 2010/2011 season has rocketed ahead of his showings during 2009/2010, he deserves a place purely because of the explosion in form we've seen him make, scoring vital goals for his club both in the Premier League and Champions League.

Lampard - Injured for much of this season, but he weighed in with an exceptional tally of over 20 goals in the former, whilst helping his club achieve the exceptional domestic double.

Fabregas - Earns his place because of a superb former season, earning him a nightmarish transfer-saga with Barcelona. Not looked at his best for much of this season, but Arsenal are always more fluent when he is in the side.

Bale - Superb since January and his move into the Left-Winger slot. Impressive showings in the Premiership and his maiden Champions League campaign ensure he wins this spot ahead of other impressive left-sided players.

Rooney / Drogba - Both nail down a striker spot purely because of their incredible goal tallies in the previous season. 30+ goals each in all competitions, and both from the clubs competing at the top of the table. Both not quite as prolific this season, but no other striker really comes close for my team.

Last edited:
Tough on the left side with both Bale and Malouda in contention.

Your team overall is solid however I don't agree with Rooney & Drogba, Personally I would swap the for Gyan & Carroll who have both played and scored goals consistantly

Given/Hart - Both for last season.

Ivanovic-Vidic-Dunne-Evra

Nani-Fabregas-Nasri-Bale

Rooney-Drogba

Really can't argue with OPs side, annoyingly. Have to agree on all fronts.

Your team overall is solid however I don't agree with Rooney & Drogba, Personally I would swap the for Gyan & Carroll who have both played and scored goals consistantly

Two players who are playing in this league for three-ish months?

Hart
Ivanovic - Vidic - Johnson - Evra
Nani - Fabregas - Nasri - Malouda
Drogba - Tevez​

Some chnages for me

Hart/VDS/Cech
Ivanovic Vidic ???? Evra
Nasri Lampard Fabregas Bale
Rooney Tevez​

Tough for Baines to be left out, for me, close one with him and Cole. Wouldn't put Drogba up there, maybe for me:

Reina
Ivanovic Vidic R.Johnson Baines
Scott Parker ( I know he's no winger :p) Lampard Fabregas Bale
Rooney Zamora

Subs:
Tevez
Joe Hart
Kevin Davies
Chung Yong
Etc.

Tough on the left side with both Bale and Malouda in contention.

Agreed. Perhaps bias on my part to put him ahead, but you could also argue he is younger, so potentially more room to improve?

Gordon
ivanovic shawcross Cahill Bale
Nani Parker Nasri NZogbia
Berbatov Tevez

GK: Reina
RB: Sagna
CB: Vidic
CB: Vermaelan
LB: Bale (out of position)
RM: Nasri
CM: Fabregas
CM: Fletcher