Pride in Battle: A Manchester City Story

ZeCarlos

Reaction score
Side note: I recognise this story may be classed as 'easy' but I've struggled to get into a save of late and this is the first I'm thoroughly enjoying. Any feedback is appreciated and before I receive hate mail from United fans, I have no preference over the Manchester clubs and am a 'fan' of neither although I don't mind both. Hope you all enjoy!

View attachment 360842
June 2012
Manchester City appoint Pellegrini

View attachment 360845

Manchester City Football Club have today announced that Chilean manager Manuel Pellegrini will take charge of the club on a three year contract following the sacking of Roberto Mancini.

Italian Roberto Mancini was sacked last month after a disappointing season which saw Manchester City lose the Barclays Premier League title as well as being beaten in the FA Cup Final and knocked out of the UEFA Champions League at the group stage. Despite winning the FA Community Shield at the beginning of the season, Mancini was unable to win any further silverware and Manchester City owner Khaldoon Al Mubarak decided it was time for a change of manager. Following negotiations, Manuel Pellegrini signed a three year contract and was, reportedly, the clubs first choice to succeed Mancini.

Manuel Pellegrini arrives from Spanish club Malaga and will hope to bring some success to the Etihad Stadium. The Chilean manager, formerly of Real Madrid and Villarreal, took charge of Malaga in November of 2010 following a multi-million Euro takeover of the club with the owner promising hundreds of millions of Euros to be spent on players. Pellegrini quickly moved to bring in now-Arsenal starlet Santi Cazorla and the Spanish midfielder had this to say on Pellegrini:

"Manuel is a great manager. He's a tactical genius - playing beautiful football while also keeping it tight at the back. His man-management skills are great and I always had a good time under his leadership at Malaga. I'll look forward to meeting him when we play Manchester City next season."

Last season, Pellegrini helped Malaga qualify for the UEFA Champions League group stages and led them to the Quarter-Final where they were unfortunately knocked out to eventual finalists Borussia Dortmund in no small part to a missing offside flag. Manchester City have already secured two signings this Summer - with Jesus Navas joining from Sevilla and Fernandinho joining from Shakhtar Donetsk - and have promised Pellegrini further funds to strengthen his side.

Carlos! Love your stories but surely there is something more exciting than City out there?

You may be correct mate - but as I said, I've really struggled recently to even get past pre-season with any team at all (even who I support). It's the first save I've got to December on and enjoyed it in months to be honest so hopefully it'll at least get me back into the game?

I'll see what initial support is like and go from there. If I gain no support then fair enough and I'll look at getting into something else. Thanks for the feedback but (somehow) hope I can keep you interested! Apologies if it's not your cup of tea mate but I've stated my reasoning!

View attachment 360897
Pre-season
Successful Pre-season for City

View attachment 360900

Manuel Pellegrini's reign as Manchester City started positively as his side played five pre-season games and won all of them - scoring twenty goals and conceding just two as well as signing three new players for a combined fee of £43.5 million.

Ghanaian midfielder Andre Ayew was the first arrival at the Etihad Stadium as Pellegrini saw fit to pay just under £16 million for the 22-year-old. Ayew signed a four year contract at City following the move from French side Marseille. Spanish starlet Thiago Alcantara then left Spanish giants FC Barcelona to move to the Etihad for a fee of around £18.5 million - signing a four year contract under Pellegrini. Belgian centre-back Toby Alderweireld is City's final signing of the Summer up to this point as he left Eredivisie side Ajax for a fee of £9 million. The 23-year-old signed a four year contract.

Three players also left the club permanently while six were loaned out. Left-back Aleksandar Kolarov left the club for French side AS Monaco for a fee of £13 million. Young striker Alex Nimely then joined Championship side Ipswich Town for around £650,000 before Frenchman Samir Nasri joined Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain for £40 million. Gareth Barry and Joleon Lescott were loaned out to Fulham and AC Milan respectively, both with a view of a permanent move. Harry Bunn, Abdul Razak, Devante Cole and Ashley Smith-Brown were loaned to Yeovil, Brighton, Wycombe and Luton respectively.

City had five pre-season games planned - against Viktoria Zizkov, AS Monaco, USBCO, OFI Crete and Al-Jazira. Up first, Pellegrini and his side travelled to the Czech Republic to face Viktoria Zizkov. A strong side was fielded and ran out 4-0 winners thanks to goals from James Milner, Matija Nastasic and a brace from Sergio Aguero. A trip to Monaco was up next and goals from Yaya Toure and Edin Dzeko as well as an own goal helped City to a 3-1 win. USBCO then played host to Pellegrini's team who ran out 5-1 winners. OFI Crete and Al-Jazira were then both beaten 4-0 Manchester City to round up the English teams' pre-season.

Manchester City also released their kits this Summer:
Home | Away | Third

View attachment 360913View attachment 360914View attachment 360915

Last edited:
Looking good mate I had a City story going with a load of young players in the side til my laptop messed up, its more important to play the game you want not what you think people want as your story will turn into homework! My go to club whenever im bored is Shakhtar who are Man City of Ukraine!

Don't worry about what others will think, main thing is YOU enjoy the game. Will follow mate as I have done with all your stories :)

Will definitely follow mate, good to see a Man City story! I will compete with you once I get my game up and running again with Sir Alex Ferguson haha! 8-|

Also, nice kits! I haven't got those yet! Thanks!

Don't worry about what others will think, main thing is YOU enjoy the game. Will follow mate as I have done with all your stories :)

Will follow:) your signing seen pretty good aswell

Will definitely follow mate, good to see a Man City story! I will compete with you once I get my game up and running again with Sir Alex Ferguson haha! 8-|

Thanks for the comments lads! The feedback makes me want to keep the story up as if there was no support I'd just continue the save myself.

FM2014, the home kit is official while the away is just a leaked rumour so I'm not totally sure yet mate! The third is also just a fantasy kit I made myself, too.

Third one is class, I have saved it as Cities third kit haha! Good stuff!

Never said I didn't enjoy it! I will enjoy this, I like the way zecarlos does his stories. Just said Manchester City isn't the most exciting thing out there.

Although I can't stand City, will definitely be following this story, mate!
Best of luck!

One thing though, I'm assuming that the "Frenchman" who joined PSG for 40m is Nasri, you didn't mention it in the post!

Although I can't stand City, will definitely be following this story, mate!
Best of luck!

One thing though, I'm assuming that the "Frenchman" who joined PSG for 40m is Nasri, you didn't mention it in the post!

Apologies for the typo! You're right mate, I was just typing at such speed I thought this name but didn't type it! XD Cheers and hope I can keep you interested

View attachment 361035
August
Great start for City and Aguero

View attachment 361036

Manuel Pellegrini started his first season in the Barclays Premier League with a 100% record following wins over Cardiff City and West Ham United thanks to goals from star striker Sergio Aguero.

On the 20th of August, Pellegrini's side travelled to the Cardiff City Stadium to kick-off their Barclays Premier League campaign. A strong side, including new signings Jesus Navas and Thiago Alcantara, was fielded and took the lead in just the sixth minute. Right midfielder Jesus Navas beat his marker to the by-line and cut-back for Argentinian Sergio Aguero to tap home. Just three minutes later, Aguero grabbed another. Full-back Gael Clichy crossed the ball deep into the box and Aguero nodded back across goal into the far corner. In the 20th minute, powerful midfielder Yaya Toure stole the ball and played in Aguero to secure his hat-trick in the season opener. On the stroke of half-time, Cardiff City were awarded a penalty which midfielder Peter Whittingham hit home to end the scoring at 3-1 in City's favour.

Five days later, on the 25th of August, West Ham United visited the Etihad Stadium in the second game of the season. Ghanaian midfielder made his debut as Pellegrini opted to make three changes from the opening day win at Cardiff City. In the 10th minute, a West Ham free-kick broke down which allowed City to break away. Creative midfielder David Silva played Sergio Aguero through to smash home from the edge of the area. In the 26th minute, Ghanaian Andre Ayew beat two men before sliding a ball through for Aguero. The Argentinian slotted between the keepers legs to double City's lead. Just three minutes after half-time, explosive midfielder Yaya Toure was tripped in the box. Striker Sergio Aguero stepped up to secure his second hat-trick in two games. On the stroke of the 70th minute, City broke away at pace - allowing striker Aguero to play in James Milner who struck across goal and into the back of the net to end the scoring - leaving City with a 4-0 victory.

Scores:
Cardiff City 1-3 Manchester City
Manchester City 4-0 West Ham United

Manchester City rounded up their Summer spending with the acquisition of 17-year-old Bruma from Portuguese side Sporting Lisbon. The winger joined for an initial fee of around £6 million although an additional £4.5 million could be earned by Sporting based on his performances at the Etihad Stadium. Overall, City spent a figure close to £54 million on their four signings while they earned a minimum of £55 million on the sale three players. Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak has stated that the club are nearing a statement on the subject of a possible stadium expansion.

Nice mate will follow this... How did you get Thiago for 18.5 I had to pay 25+ with United!!