Questions for preferred player moves?

Alaza

Reaction score
Hi guys.

In training my Manchester United side with the optimal preferred moves, I'm looking into for instance Nick Powell at the moment, and trying to remove his "Runs with Ball Often", since I mainly use him in his natural position as a M(C), and as I understand it, it's better to have him unlearning this move, seeing that he never runs with the ball in this position (playing a short, attacking 4-4-2 formation). But when I'm in the "View player's development" screen the "New Preferred Move" button is greyed out. Why is this, and how can I then learn/unlearn him new moves?

Thanks a lot.

you are in the off season mate, he must be on holiday?

Omg, embarassed... :p I wasn't aware that I wasn't able to change training when he's on holiday though. Thanks for the tip.

But in terms of unlearning a move. Do I have to choose a move that counters the one I want him to unlearn, or is there an "unlearn button"?

Omg, embarassed... :p I wasn't aware that I wasn't able to change training when he's on holiday though. Thanks for the tip.

But in terms of unlearning a move. Do I have to choose a move that counters the one I want him to unlearn, or is there an "unlearn button"?

hahha, don't stress mate :)

you have to ask him to unlearn it, there is the option! however, nearly 99% of players are reluctant to unlearn any of their PPM's so good luck..

you could just ask him to learn "comes deep to get ball" to try and counter the above mentioned one..

He actually already has "comes deep to get the ball". Is there another way to counter it?

And a supplement question: Phil Jones has the "Dives into tackles", which I wanted to complement with the "Mark Opponent Tightly". However, when asking G. Neville as a coach to train him in the move, he suggested another one (can't remember which), and said that we probably woudn't be able to learn the "Mark Opponent Tightly" move. I did choose it anyway though, but is there any chance of succes?

He actually already has "comes deep to get the ball". Is there another way to counter it?

And a supplement question: Phil Jones has the "Dives into tackles", which I wanted to complement with the "Mark Opponent Tightly". However, when asking G. Neville as a coach to train him in the move, he suggested another one (can't remember which), and said that we probably woudn't be able to learn the "Mark Opponent Tightly" move. I did choose it anyway though, but is there any chance of succes?

there is no countering of PPM's, the only thing is to set the players individual settings to the opposite:

eg: set his run with ball slider to NEVER or SOMETIMES

dives into tackles should be unlearned all the time, its a bad PPM to have!

I doubt he will learn it mate..

His player tactic is to run with ball at never, but as I could understand here:

Player Preferred Moves | Football Manager 2013 Guide

It says that it should be unlearned, if he's instructed to never run with the ball.

How come the "Dives into Tackles" is bad to have? He's got 12% yellow cards (6 in 48 matches) and a tackles won percantage of 77%. Isn't that decent?

His player tactic is to run with ball at never, but as I could understand here:

It says that it should be unlearned, if he's instructed to never run with the ball.

How come the "Dives into Tackles" is bad to have? He's got 12% yellow cards (6 in 48 matches) and a tackles won percantage of 77%. Isn't that decent?

thats not bad at all mate, I just don't like it personally :)

Aha, like that, alright. :)

In terms of unlearning "Dives in to tackles", Neville as well says that he won't be able to unlearn it. Is it worth a try if I decide on it, or is the time better spend training another move?

Aha, like that, alright. :)

In terms of unlearning "Dives in to tackles", Neville as well says that he won't be able to unlearn it. Is it worth a try if I decide on it, or is the time better spend training another move?

I would honestly just learn other moves mate, there is like a 1% chance your player will agree to it :)

When going through my players preferred moves, I noticed that de Gea for instance has "Avoid Using Weaker Foot". Here they state that, if the weaker foot is any better than "very weak", it should be unlearned:

For de Gea it is "Reasonable", so this would obviously mean that I should have him unlearn the move. But Steele (the goalkeeping coach) doesn't see that he would be able to do so. Should I be worried? :p

When going through my players preferred moves, I noticed that de Gea for instance has "Avoid Using Weaker Foot". Here they state that, if the weaker foot is any better than "very weak", it should be unlearned:

For de Gea it is "Reasonable", so this would obviously mean that I should have him unlearn the move. But Steele (the goalkeeping coach) doesn't see that he would be able to do so. Should I be worried? :p

don't sweat mate :) every coach asks you to teach your keeper to not use weaker foot, they never learn it anyway..

De Gea is decent on his left :) I would not worry..

I'm not sure I follow. De Gea already has the "Avoid Using Weaker Foot", so he must have learned it already I mean? :)

I'm not sure I follow. De Gea already has the "Avoid Using Weaker Foot", so he must have learned it already I mean? :)

yeah he must have or starts with it so its fine, if you had to ask him to learn it if he had not learnt it already, he would not learn it as 99% of the time it fails..

now that he has it, as per my threads above, you probably wont be able to ask him to UNlearn it so just leave it :)

Alright, I'm just puzzled that the guide seems to be quite sturdy in terms of unlearning skills, even it's never possible to actually achieve it. :p

Honestly, I don't really try asking players to unlearn moves unless it is really really affecting the team and the player.

For example, Vidic and Jones has "dives into tackles". Neither has gotten a red card in two seasons or given penalties away. So if it's not really affecting their play, why try fix it?

Rather than spending time (and PA?) trying to unlearn PPMs that aren't really impacting on their game, have them spend more time training or learning other PPMs.

However, that is not always the case. Rooney for instance has received 18 yellow cards in 57 matches for me and 2 red cards, even though his tackling is easy and the team is cautious. And he does have the "Dives into Tackles" ability.