Raikan007's Borussia Dortmund 4-2-3-1 Re-created for FM14 - TheRyanFM

TheRyanFM

Reaction score
Before I get into all the information about the tactic, I opened FM13 and basically used the sliders to get the team instructions and player instructions and also ported over the set piece instructions that are working a treat from corners!

Also, I had great success with this tactic in FM13 won the premier league unbeaten 1st season and in 2nd season and still unbeaten, so I therefore decided to see if I can re-create the tactic and get the same success on FM14 with the tactic, which I have done as I will show you below!

The Formation
View attachment 419133
All the roles I have kept the same and have changed nothing from the FM 13 tactic.

Team Instructions
View attachment 419130
Some things I were not able to port directly because of conflicting things or the options on the sliders are not available in the team instructions!

Tips for the tactic

The tactic is originally set on the Attacking mentality but if I score I change to Counter and turn on Retain Possession. If I happen to be loosing I switch to Overload and I usually end up scoring and then I change back to either Attacking or Counter depending on my opponent.

For opposition instructions I leave it to my assistant who is Martin Keown but if you do not have an assistant without 15 defending I recommend using the following opposition instructions;
AMs: Show onto weaker foot, Always tight mark
ST: Show onto weaker foot, Always tight mark
Players with under 95% condition: Hard tackling (as they're more likely to get injured if you hard tackle them)

For training in pre-season I train Tactics as the general and match training on high intensity and during the season I always use Balanced general training and defensive positioning.

Tips for using this tactic with smaller teams
As you can see a few posts below I am playing through with Sassuolo testing the tactic with a team who are predicted to get relagated. From this save I have found a few tips for you if you are using a smaller team.

Firstly I start every game on Counter and with the CMs as DMs. Also, if you go down a goal dont be afraid to Overload because 8 time out of 10 with this tactic you get a goal back within 25 mins and if I do get back onto level terms I then switch back to counter.

Also with training, instead of using Balanced and Defending Positioning I use Defending and Defending Positioning

You can download the lower team tactic either below this or at the bottom of the page;
View attachment 418652

My FM13 success with Raikan's original tactic
View attachment 419120View attachment 419119View attachment 419117View attachment 419116View attachment 419113View attachment 419112View attachment 419111View attachment 419110

My FM14 success with my re-creation (Top Team ~ Chelsea)
View attachment 419108View attachment 419107View attachment 419106View attachment 419105View attachment 419104View attachment 419103View attachment 419102View attachment 419101View attachment 419100

So as you can see Raikan's original tactic in FM13 worked great for me so I decided to make it with the new tactic system in FM14 and had the same success and hope you guys get the same success! If you have any questions please ask me down below and also if you want any screenshots added to this post let me know! :)

View attachment 418750 ~ For bigger teams

View attachment 418652 ~ For smaller teams​

Last edited:
Yeah, keep it the same. In the FM13 thread Raikan said to drop DMs back away from home but I dont really use it and still have great success.

If you are a smaller team I recrommend starting DMs every game but big teams I play CMs every game!

The top one is keeping CMs and the 3rd one is with DMs;
View attachment 418789

Last edited:
Trying this with my slightly improved Juventus side. But I think it is hard to find a good DLP in this version of FM. Have just put a bid in for Rossi. Can you recommend anyone?

Otherwise I think the shape fit Juve very well

edit: great start! first game. Won 4-0 at home against Verona. Not nearly fluid yet!

Last edited:
I use Nathaniel Chalobah and Nemanja Matic on a rotation basis but you could try Yann M'vila or Jorge Enriquez.

I am just making a shortlist now for player to fit this tactic, I will put it in the OP when i've made it!

First game against Bordeaux : View attachment 418661
This may be due because I had ​​4-5 new recruits, and the tactic is not completely fluid
I'll try a few more games to see if anything changes, I hope it will work because the 4231 is my favorite training in Football Manager :(

Last edited:
Did you train the same tactic all of pre-season? And what is your training now?

Monaco guy, you would be heavy favourite in those games, try changing the d-line to drop deeper, sure other teams are hitting you on the counter like crazy

I'll post tomorrow, my new results with Monaco, and it's looks to improve.
I removed the instruction : Push higher up just before the match against Paris (away) and I won 3-1. It's funny because i'm 14th and Falcao is the best striker with 8 goals.

I'm very sorry for my baaaaad english ^^)

Good result? This tactic isnt designed to outplay teams, it is designed to get good results!

I'm city, so yes for the most part. there 2nd was on 90 mins.

I'll post tomorrow, my new results with Monaco, and it's looks to improve.
I removed the instruction : Push higher up just before the match against Paris (away) and I won 3-1. It's funny because i'm 14th and Falcao is the best striker with 8 goals.

I'm very sorry for my baaaaad english ^^)

Any updates guys?