Raikan007's FM13 Tactical Guide for beginners

This is just an opinion but... I guess that are many ways to play on the counter. Look at Inter vs Barça (1st game. They, most of the time, stand-off and let Barça play on a non-danger area). Then we have the way that Madrid now plays with Barça (press very high and try make to put the ball as soon as they can in the other area. A more agressive counter, I guess)

Since you're Leeds, and as you say the other teams will play more careful, maybe is a good idea to use "push up defence" and play narrower. This makes the team more solid and compact. If you feel that you have a "lot of ball" then untick "push up defence" and let them go onto you. It's just a question of keep an eye on the match and see what happens.

This is just an idea, not an universal point :)

Cheers!

Ty for the response. I just couldnt get them to score consistantly. (Bechio injured before season started too)

IFs both were useless. Didnt get the ba a lot and when they did there werent a lot of passing options and they usually were closed down pretty hard.

Should i play mcCormack as a poacher? He isnt that fast and neither are my IFs. Or should i play bechio as TM/DLF?

Should i set IFs to move into space instead of move to mid to get more forward movement/ thru balls?

All these things are unclear to me lol. Same thing with shouts, i tried some stuff, sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt but its hard to say if stuff actually improved because of my shouts or because of something else. :p

Mate, I'm honest with you... I'm Portuguese and I don't know that well the Leeds squad lol. My post was just based on what you say. Since you don't have a quick team maybe a cautious counter/possession is better, to drag the opposition out of position. TBH as good tactic's based on this.

I share a little of your doubts. I don't totally get into shouts yet, it's a matter of trying and trying lol. Give a look on the Mr.Hough thread about shouts.

Hope this helps you.
Cheers

I must say curently plenty people dont now even basic tactical things,they just want to download your tactic and win all matches.

I am strugling with some people who dont understand basic principles of Fm looks like every thing need to be explained to them.

btw i have big chances to win French division in first season with worst team in leauge Troyes and now i need to explain to them that also.

Be happy vujevic if we werent bad you couldnt be arrogant and condescending.

pretty sad coming from a 30 year old man playing FM at his work.

Be happy vujevic if we werent bad you couldnt be arrogant and condescending.

pretty sad coming from a 30 year old man playing FM at his work.

of course I am ****** when people who playing Fm few years dont know basic things

Very good tutorial Raikan, I thought of myself a mastermind in FM in the past few series but this year's series I have struggled. I never knew you could take control of so much, maybe I was lazier than I thought but I never realised about there favourite roles in the coaching report and I never really looked into set pieces until I saw this post.

I am now going to be looking through many things and hopefully come up with a winning formula, I can class myself as a 'beginner' but hopefully with these guidelines I can improve my knowledge and become more detailed in my tactics.

of course I am ****** when people who playing Fm few years dont know basic things

A lot of people dont have the time or the motivation to get better at this game. This game is a lot different from other games: you almost can't play it casually without investing time and effort and expect to do good, which is what most people playing videogames want. Look at Call of Duty, its big because everyone can pick it up and do decent, even if they never played it before.

Bottomline is, it is more frustrating for casual players who just want a plug and play tactic that will work, then it is for you reading questions by people who at least try to learn.

IFs both were useless. Didnt get the ba a lot and when they did there werent a lot of passing options and they usually were closed down pretty hard.

Should i play mcCormack as a poacher? He isnt that fast and neither are my IFs. Or should i play bechio as TM/DLF?

Hello, i am not professional, neither am i playing for better teams. I play in lower leagues and my experience - IF and Poacher needs to be quick - otherwise its just wasting of potential and money. Right now i am not playing in my save with them, because its little more expensive than i can afford in the beginning.

In my previous save when i tested IF - they were pretty solid - just 10 finishing, something more dribbling.... 15 acceleration 15 pace and they just hammered through oppostition. With Pocher - acceleration, pace, off the ball and anticipation - if those were high enough it didnt even matter that his finishing and composure was 10-11. But i play for czech/slovak teams.

Quick question, since this seems to be the best place to get satisfactory answers (judging on my experience).

I seem to have forgotten the main "rules" to my attacking play. I tenf to use a single poacher as my focal point in the attacking line, supported by either two wingers and an advanced playmaker in an AMC position or the winger replaced by two central mids, basically 4-1-2-1-1 or 4-2-3-1. I guess the "quick" part of the question is now lost, I really like to type...

BASICALLY! What I'm asking is the main setup for the poacher, run from deep often or rarely? Based on the idea of my posession based tactics should his passing be set to short or normal? Maybe even direct to create an oppurtunity via 1on1 for the AMC? Does the poacher also play through balls often or does he only play backwards and go on looking for the break through himself?

I hope I have asked my questions clearly enough, the christmas wine is having a few tricks on my brain at this point. PS. Looking forward to finally getting FM13 to replace 12 somewhere around new years :>

And happy holiday everyone! :)

Could anyone explain to me if your chosen formation affects the your chosen philosophy? Like would a more possession based philosophy be more suited to a 4-5-1 than a 5-3-2 due to there being more players in the middle of the park? That's only an example to demonstrate what I mean, a general answer would be great. Nice one!

I've won the Premier with Spurs, with some of these ideas and putting some of mine, of course. I used shouts combinations and some simple ideas. It was one of the most enjoying saves of the last years :)

Great guide... have started with Rotherham and have used this guide to help me along... will keep you posted... Cheers (H)

Hi there!

I've a couple of doubts that I want to ask you, mainly regard to shouts. I want to start a proper save with Benfica, micro managing! Almost for sure, I'll use the TC and shouts, to make possible to have several approaches. In mainly approach I want to play a high pressing and tempo game, just like Madrid, Germany, etc.

I know that's may not be possible in the first games cause it requires too much from the players and Benfica's squad need some improvement lol. However I'm thinking in the following set:

balanced/counter/press more/more disciplined/zonal mark. Using the following shouts: push higher up, play narrower, work ball into box, get ball forward and hassle opponents. Of course with other approaches, for when we're winning, against tough opposition, etc..

about the formation and roles, I want to wait for the players that I'll bring. But I guess it will will be a 4-5-1 at the beginning with some players in the space to provide some support, etc. Then move on to something more evolved..

Do you think this is the right approach? Especially the shouts...

Cheers mate!

Hi there!

I've a couple of doubts that I want to ask you, mainly regard to shouts. I want to start a proper save with Benfica, micro managing! Almost for sure, I'll use the TC and shouts, to make possible to have several approaches. In mainly approach I want to play a high pressing and tempo game, just like Madrid, Germany, etc.

I know that's may not be possible in the first games cause it requires too much from the players and Benfica's squad need some improvement lol. However I'm thinking in the following set:

balanced/counter/press more/more disciplined/zonal mark. Using the following shouts: push higher up, play narrower, work ball into box, get ball forward and hassle opponents. Of course with other approaches, for when we're winning, against tough opposition, etc..

about the formation and roles, I want to wait for the players that I'll bring. But I guess it will will be a 4-5-1 at the beginning with some players in the space to provide some support, etc. Then move on to something more evolved..

Do you think this is the right approach? Especially the shouts...

Cheers mate!

hey bud, I am just about to start my first competitive game in charge of Leverkusen!

I have designed 3 new tactics/approaches for the first half of the season (will see how they go) all from scratch and all left mostly to default settings for roles and duties (going to really try and get the best out of shouts and my players)

that sounds good, however, you do not need to have it set to counter, your team are good enough to play on attack but make sure the counter box is ticked..

countering works mostly when playing deep and allowing the opposition to come into your half and hopefully committing too many forward so having a deep line and own half closing down/pressing is a must! clear ball to flanks/exploit flanks/pass into space are good shouts for that as well..

what is your setup?

Home tactic:

View attachment 302855View attachment 302860

I have two ball winners protecting the back four, with passing set to down both flanks, having the players attack the fullbacks with high pressing and aggressive tackling to put them under pressure!

Using the push up higher/pass into space/hassle opponents will help in putting the opposition under pressure while look for overlap will encourage my fullbacks to get involved and overload the wide area's while the two DM's sit back and cover

Away tactic:

View attachment 302861View attachment 302859

A 433 Dm is still one of my favoured tactics.. deep defensive line as explained above, aggressive stand off tackling/pressure (own half) so as soon as they come in, they are pressed hard, win the ball back from the ballwinner and dlp defend and play it wide..

run at defence for the wingers so when they get the ball, they run (I have Sam/Schurrle) who are both very quick. play wider and pass into space will encourage the wingers getting involved!
Pump ball into box as I have Kweuke/Kiesling upfront and are good in the air (this will be taken off for most games, I am playing against quite small defenders now)

See out lead tactic:

View attachment 302856View attachment 302858

a narrow midfield overload tactic to see off a lead or when playing against a much harder opponent! playing narrow and slow to keep possession and direct passing will change to shorter/default.

Drop deeper, retain possession, pass to feet, play narrower and stay on feet are all good shouts to use for possession..

So, after some time thinking about this, I set up this approaches (I'll put my team too):

View attachment 302974
So, this will be my team. In my opinion, we've made good signings that provide much more depth quality. I sell all the deadwood. Only missing Adryan due to his age and come only when he's 18. The portuguese are here due to Champions League rules and they have good potential.

View attachment 302973
This is the approach against weaker teams and most of the league games. I decided for this set up to provide support in this first phase of the season. Over the course of time, I'll evolve to something different. A AMC probably.

View attachment 302971
This will be the approach with big teams and tough games.

The combinations of shouts are the following:

View attachment 302980
This approach will be used in "easy" games of Portuguese season. Try to enjoy the qualities of my wingers.

View attachment 302984
This is a slow counter approach maybe to games when I want to play cautious and don't give much space to other team.

View attachment 302986
This an agressive counter approach for Champions League, in some matches that other teams have slow but technically players at their back.

View attachment 302985
This one will be used when winning 2-0 or with some difficulty opposition, to play cautious.

What about the training? Since I've brought many new players I'll put my general training as team cohesion, changing when the team got more time together. In specific training, I guess it will be depending on the opposition. Defensive or attacking movement.
How is going your save at Leverkusen?
Thank you.
Cheers mate

Last edited: