Raikan007's FM13 Tactical Guide for beginners

Hey raikan do you have any tips on how i can improve this tactic? Defence seems leaky. Full back not getting forward. Too many crosses.

Thanks for tips: i finally got Football manager 2013 over weekend always wanted to play a game with more control over a football club, i decided to give a go at a low league team, Mansfield, pre-season games i was up against teams that were 3-4 leagues higher up. lost all 3 :( won 1 that was in same league, 2 days before league begins my best striker gets injured in training for 4-6 weeks. so far played 3 and 1 win, 1 lose and 1 draw. i hope to give a go at tactics provided later today, i enjoy short passing build up philosophy football.

Hey raikan do you have any tips on how i can improve this tactic? Defence seems leaky. Full back not getting forward. Too many crosses.

hey mate :) this is not a tactic at all :) its a guide to make one yourself...

i have a question i am trying to get a attacking possession tactic going how do i tell the mids/str's to move into space

i have a question i am trying to get a attacking possession tactic going how do i tell the mids/str's to move into space

run from deep/move into channels/high freedom/roaming

roaming is the most easily used one mate, the rest just make it that much more attacking.. be sparing with these settings for mids..

i got team to go on a run of 28 unbeaten games then injuries plagued team, and me saving on wages was pread thin :( started losing next 4 games and lost pole position in league.

I'm no FM noob and even i need a little reminder of the system now and then after going a while not playing. Thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort to make this guide.

@raikan

You should make a thread about roles, which works best between. I read it, that midfield must have active roles(advanced playmaker, deep lying playmaker, box to box midfielder) and passive roles(central midfielder, ball winning midfielder)

So, you shouldnt only look after best roles, but also about, what will work together.

After months of struggling on my own I implemented everything in this thread to the letter. The outcome, like every other approach, was abject failure.

This thread makes perfect sense, FM doesn't.:(

Hello Raikan, i might need some help with tactic i am creating.

I want to play basicly 4-3-3 (4-1-2-2-1) with DM, 2xMC, AML+AMR+F

I have not used Inside Forwards this year, so i want to build tactic with them. When using Inside Forwards (with attack) its extremly efficient when FBs are set to attack. So my point is that i need to have solid CDs and little more defensive midfield.

I need advice in this departments:
- whether it is better to use stopper or cover in this case. I think that cover is more defensive but they close down less and stopper little less defensive, but they close down more - what do you think
- in midfield i am thinking about - DM (defend of course) and then - either DLP with defend + AP with support or DLP support with BWM
- with two inside forwards on attack cuting inside i am thinking of either deep-lying forward with support to connect the lines, poacher for little more counter tactics or tranquelinista for messing around

My last question is - do you think it might it good base for counter tactics (version with poacher) or possesion with deep-lying forward/tranquelinista?

Thank you for your feedback and advice

Ey Raikan, and thanks for a very useful guide here! I picked up alot of useful pointers here that i wasnt aware of despite playing this game alot : ) I am one of those who wants to have it easy but i see now that it takes some work to get it right.

Ive started a new season/save with my beloved Manchester United and i have set-up 2 tactics, one 4-2-2-2 possesion tactic and one 4-2-3-1 attacking tactic. The posession tactic i start the match as standard and change it during the game to controll or counter depending on the outcome and if i need a goal i change to the 4-2-3-1 with 2 IF`s swaping position. It has worked ok so far.

My problem is now the individual player instructions. I play De Gea as a Gk defend, Evra as WB attack, Ferdinand as a CB cover, Vidic as LD stopper, Rafael as FB support after looking at wich roles that suited them best. I play Carrick as a AP support and Strootman as a DLP support. I play Valencia and J. Rodriguez as a wingers attack and last i play Rooney as a DLF attack and finally RVP as a AF attack.

How do i try to set-up all the players individual instructions? Are there any guides for this? Ive used the team instructions you suggest in the OP for both the posession and the attacking tactics. I feel that most of the team seems to do pretty well except for the strikers. Im not sure if the combo is working, or maybe it should but i should have their individual instruction to fit eachother.

I need advice in this departments:
- whether it is better to use stopper or cover in this case. I think that cover is more defensive but they close down less and stopper little less defensive, but they close down more - what do you think
- in midfield i am thinking about - DM (defend of course) and then - either DLP with defend + AP with support or DLP support with BWM
- with two inside forwards on attack cuting inside i am thinking of either deep-lying forward with support to connect the lines, poacher for little more counter tactics or tranquelinista for messing around

My last question is - do you think it might it good base for counter tactics (version with poacher) or possesion with deep-lying forward/tranquelinista?

Thank you for your feedback and advice

1) if you have a DM I would play on cover
2) it depends on your players, DLP support and BWM support will be a good idea to provide cover, CM - Auto could also be a good option for both...
3) I would say AF or TM

counter/poacher/af
possession/tm/dlf

Ey Raikan, and thanks for a very useful guide here! I picked up alot of useful pointers here that i wasnt aware of despite playing this game alot : ) I am one of those who wants to have it easy but i see now that it takes some work to get it right.

Ive started a new season/save with my beloved Manchester United and i have set-up 2 tactics, one 4-2-2-2 possesion tactic and one 4-2-3-1 attacking tactic. The posession tactic i start the match as standard and change it during the game to controll or counter depending on the outcome and if i need a goal i change to the 4-2-3-1 with 2 IF`s swaping position. It has worked ok so far.

My problem is now the individual player instructions. I play De Gea as a Gk defend, Evra as WB attack, Ferdinand as a CB cover, Vidic as LD stopper, Rafael as FB support after looking at wich roles that suited them best. I play Carrick as a AP support and Strootman as a DLP support. I play Valencia and J. Rodriguez as a wingers attack and last i play Rooney as a DLF attack and finally RVP as a AF attack.

How do i try to set-up all the players individual instructions? Are there any guides for this? Ive used the team instructions you suggest in the OP for both the posession and the attacking tactics. I feel that most of the team seems to do pretty well except for the strikers. Im not sure if the combo is working, or maybe it should but i should have their individual instruction to fit eachother.

hey bud :)

1) dont use United as standard/counter! use control/attacking (if its working then thats ok.. but still not the right approach, plus we play 442, quick tempo/attacking/direct passing)

2) swap Carrick and Strootman (or rotate them in same position) and start Cleverly/Anderson as AP

setting instructions is actually a lot easier than people think!

set their instructions to players strengths and weaknesses (according to their stats)

for eg:

Valencia - run with ball often/cross often from byline/hug touchline

you wont make him run with ball never/long shots often/cut inside

play to your players strengths :)

hey bud :)

1) dont use United as standard/counter! use control/attacking (if its working then thats ok.. but still not the right approach, plus we play 442, quick tempo/attacking/direct passing)

2) swap Carrick and Strootman (or rotate them in same position) and start Cleverly/Anderson as AP

setting instructions is actually a lot easier than people think!

set their instructions to players strengths and weaknesses (according to their stats)

for eg:

Valencia - run with ball often/cross often from byline/hug touchline

you wont make him run with ball never/long shots often/cut inside

play to your players strengths :)

Thanks buddy! work in progress here :)

Love this thread mate. I have been playing FM for at least a decade now and I still don't get the tactic settings sometimes.

I've got a question I've been playing fm13 since day it came out and have never bothered with getting players to use there weaker foot or things like that. But in a recent change of philosophy I'm going to give it a go, only thing I don't know how to do it!! If anyone can help would much appreciate it. Cheers

I've got a question I've been playing fm13 since day it came out and have never bothered with getting players to use there weaker foot or things like that. But in a recent change of philosophy I'm going to give it a go, only thing I don't know how to do it!! If anyone can help would much appreciate it. Cheers

before the teamtalks on matchday you will see this screen

you can do it manually yourself, you can select the entire team if you want as well and set multiple settings or you can ask advice from your AM (as seen in the other SS)

Thanks for your reply, I was meaning for training my own players and stuff to avoid using weaker foot and dictate tempo stuff like that. Is it even available in the new game because I've had a good look about and can't see it???

Your screen lay-out is smart I can never get skins and stuff to work on my computer.

Great guide Raikan, it really helps. But too sure on something...

I'm gonna start a save with Barnet and I will be using my own tactic. I'm going to be using a counter-attacking 4-2-3-1 but I'm not sure wether to drop the CMs to DMs or not.
What do you suggest?
Thanks