Raikan007's New Possession tactic: Barca style

Raikan007

Reaction score
Good day to you all,

Kris asked me if I wanted to help him design a Barca style tactic (which I never have before) that replicates how Barca play currently! I for one was obsessed with passes and how many I could get i.e: (Short and Sweet) however, possession tactics are not always about how many passess you can rack up as that is an easy thing to accomplish for players, the hard part is turning those passes into chances (which has not been done yet) but this converts possession into chances! There is a big difference between passes and possession, this is a possession tactic :)

the tactic is not going to get you over 1000 passes or over 100 passes per player (which it does though anyway) its not designed for that! Barca dont play like that, they dont pass the ball back to Xavi or Iniesta when they have 2 option's ahead of them they get the ball forward and create chances!

I have only just created this and have only tested it out for a few games, this does work for home and away games! Not many possession tactics do that!

It plays some really lovely football as well, much better than my Short and Sweet!
I have not tested it with any other team as I am currently playing a Tottenham save and was not planning on making any new tactics for a long time! So feel free to test it on any team anywhere :)

I hope you enjoy it, and please feel free to use this as a base for creating your own or anything you want, its for fun!

Raikan007's New Possession tactic: Barca style
(download link at the bottom)

Formation & Instructions:

View attachment 224488

Touchline Shouts:

View attachment 224489
Opposition Instructions:

• I suggest showing all their Attacking players to their weaker foots and closing down all their strikers/mids/wingers, leave only the defenders on nothing!
  • You can also close down and tight mark the most uncomposed central defender and show him to his weaker foot

Match Results:
View attachment 224485View attachment 224486View attachment 224487View attachment 224489View attachment 224490View attachment 224491

Match Prep:

High to Very High: teamwork.

Download link:

Click the heading above

Gonna try this with Leeds and post back.Looks good.Been using your short and sweet and top of league but letting too many goals in(just like Leeds for real).

Oh cant decide to try either this tactic or your brand new tactic pack.. Playing as arsenal atm and consider to try tottenham so which will you recommend?

Not as much possession as your short and sweet, I think? But if the ball's moving the way it has to and if games are won, then it's not really important :) Will try this!

Hey Raikan , follow the role of the player - you make it base on the Barca formation ?
AML : AP - Iniesta
Amr : Winger - Sanchez
Striker : Deep Forward - Messi
CM : support - Cesc
CM : AP - Xavi
CM : BWM - Busquet
etc ...
Right ?

I would like to learn your tactic based on your thread.
1). Do you get same ball possession result when you away from home?
2). How about result against top team?

great tactics raikan..have a good start with napoli then struggle but since use this tactics manage to get 7 straight wins and just beat inter 4-0 at home and just one point behind juve at the top (H)

Absolutely brilliant tactic, won quadruple in first season with Spurs. Won 9/9 league matches in second season and 3/3 in champions league. Finally a tactic that works.

Hello aml play maker ?

I will make an educated guess and say that the aml is a playmaker because it is a Barca tactic. Therefore Iniesta would be playing there.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi There,

The wingers... do they need to be, for example - Right Footer for the AML and vice versa?

can someone please give me another download link. it wont let me download the one in the OP??

I always like to try your tactics, but I was about to start a Chelsea game... I guess I could shape Chelsea into this formation. I think Mata would florish as the AML playmaker.

A good tactic, an exceptional when played against teams which don't have the tools to beat it.

My team, for the record is very strong for the Bundesliga, my usual starting eleven is: Neuer; Lahm, Muniesa, Boateng, Vrsjalko; Kroos, Ramsey, Schweinsteiger; Hazard, Mueller; Torres (the one who isn't a 50 million pound failure!).

The main success of the formation is the ability to rack up wins against all comers at home and weak teams away from home while maintaining some truly breathtaking play, very impressed with how players make intelligent choices and play in teams (only weakness which I may attempt to rectify giving the front three a bit more aggressive instructions is sometimes stupid backpasses when a through ball might put a guy clean through or something).

Wins almost every domestic game, though away from home the shine is a little less pronounced (1-2 CCCs per game), though it can achieve very high possession away (right now sitting at 75% away to Mainz).

As far as weaknesses are concerned, the style of play is from the off vulnerable to opponents who pack the central midfielder areas in defence. In practice, this means formations using 2 DMs (my only loss thusfar was 1-0 to Leverkusen who played a 4-2-3-1 Deep) or at least four central midfield players (4-3-1-2, 4-3-2-1; both thankfully rare in the Bundesliga, the total users amounting to just Kaiserslautern, who play the latter). Thus far the only team to force me into clearances consistently from the back instead of calm passing was Fiorentina in a 4-3-1-2. The other main thing the opposition can exploit is the position of the midfielders. The CM doesn't track back too effectively and is usually a lightweight, meaning teams with a AMC can cause problems (opponents who play well against me usually have their AMC get the highest ratings). Going back to the 1-0 at Leverkusen, Candreva received the ball behind Ramsey to slip Kiessling through.

In terms of inadequacies in the tactic itself, rather than weakness the opposition can exploit, the AML role doesn't work well. Doesn't contribute much other than dallying on the ball when he should be crossing to an open striker. I'm not sure if the wide playmaker role played by individuals like Danny or Silva can work well on FM, but were it to I would assume they would need to cut inside, get the ball lots (like "focus passing down left flank," playmaker ticked, no run from deep, comes deep to get ball PPM maybe), focus on T-balls (often, with crossing and stuff rarely), and you would have to be throwing lots of runners forward to pick out so they actually have someone to pick out (considering that otherwise they end up just retaining possession, which might be good in many situations, but doesn't provide immediate attacking thrust, and the longer the move takes, the less like the wide playmaker would be to pick up the ball in a position to make a through ball over anyone else). This tactic doesn't really do that, it just serves to limit penetration (which is actually a good thing when winning, which I do like). Also, the CM seems to get the lion's share of good chances, more of a Fabregas than Iniesta, which means someone with high off ball, composure, finishing, and technique ought to be playing there - I have Aaron Ramsey, a fine player who has scored 9 goals this year, but in equal measure squanders chances a more direct midfielder would score. I might try and sign Hamsik in the summer if I persist with the tactic.

I like the devastating and consistent play against weak sides. However, a few things, in summary need improving, which I'm working on:

-AML is fairly useless, or at the very least the weakest player of the tactic (even though I have my best talent playing the role).
-Midfield shape when defending should probably be a bit more conservative, with one player an anchorman, this would also help the CBs ping a quick pass to escape the press from two striker systems (something I'm running into as we speak in the second leg against Fiorentina) - basically, Busquets needs to be worked in here as something more than a generic ball-winner. Ideally this won't compromise the pressing and runs from midfield of "Fabregas," though I think it is likely, will be trying to work this into a modification.

Will keep working!

Edit: It seems changing the shape of midfield (i.e. shunting the ap wider, moving the ball-winnger back) make the tactic impotent, even while trying to balance it by moving the striker offset-right, or into attacking midfield (or both).

Also, pesky Leverkusen, playing a 4-2-3-1 deep managed to knock me out of the CL, 2-1 at Bayarena, tied 0-0 at Allianz (60% of the ball in both games, only five shots in each game). So my record with this tactic against Leverkusen is 0-1-2 :( Still need to find a way to cut out the playmaker, might try more aggressive centerbacks.

Last edited:
I'll be giving this a go with Kenco's World League. I'll try it with Arsenal and see if it works. Should be a tough test for the tactic given that I'll be playing the best 7 teams in the PL, then the best 15 teams from the world and then finally the UEFA CL and World Trophy (FA Cup-like thing) over a full season. Thats like 55-60 games a season.

Absolutely brilliant tactic, won quadruple in first season with Spurs. Won 9/9 league matches in second season and 3/3 in champions league. Finally a tactic that works.

congrats mate! well done!