Rangers go into Administration.

I think for anyone associated with Celtic to turn round and say that if Rangers go under then it won't matter is absurd and more importantly very short sighted. What is Scottish football with out Celtic AND Rangers, who is going to invest money in a league with only 1 team?, when Celtic come to renew there own sponsors do you really think they will be in a position to get a good as or better shirt sponsor? How many players over the years have signed for Rangers and Celtic because of the rivalry and the old firm game itself?, The appeal for any player to sign for Celtic would instantly drop, it would be exactly the same if it was Celtic that could go under.

As a Rangers fan the bottom line is that they need each other - Scotland needs both of them. I also find it hard to beleive that any Celtic fan because of the rivalry over the years would happily see Rangers go under, just think, once youv'e stopped laughing what will you have to look forward to? Think about it, would you rather win the title with Rangers in it or without them? what would actually be more satisfying? if the situation was reversed I know what I'd pick everyday of the week.

well said glasrang. if it was the other way round yes as a rangers fan myself i would laugh at the start but both teams do need other as explained above but i wouldnt want to see either team go under rangers v celtic is the biggest games of the season i look forward to them every year its exciting and really celtic fans tell me would u honstley like to get rid of that derby? the league would also get boring without one or the other and yous (celtic) will get bored of it after yous have stopped laughin at us!!!

I think for anyone associated with Celtic to turn round and say that if Rangers go under then it won't matter is absurd and more importantly very short sighted. What is Scottish football with out Celtic AND Rangers, who is going to invest money in a league with only 1 team?, when Celtic come to renew there own sponsors do you really think they will be in a position to get a good as or better shirt sponsor? How many players over the years have signed for Rangers and Celtic because of the rivalry and the old firm game itself?, The appeal for any player to sign for Celtic would instantly drop, it would be exactly the same if it was Celtic that could go under.

As a Rangers fan the bottom line is that they need each other - Scotland needs both of them. I also find it hard to beleive that any Celtic fan because of the rivalry over the years would happily see Rangers go under, just think, once youv'e stopped laughing what will you have to look forward to? Think about it, would you rather win the title with Rangers in it or without them? what would actually be more satisfying? if the situation was reversed I know what I'd pick everyday of the week.

No one seems to invest in the league anyway- hence why scottish football is so dire at the moment- so not much would change there. Sponsorship deals are based on shirt sales- hence why celtic signed a lucrative contract with Nike for 5 years which a lot of our money comes from..

The reason why were all revelling on it was because of the bears behaviour in the 90's: The RFC chairman of the time Murray were saying when you were "spending 10 pounds for every pound celtic spend", buying 9 league titles and getting players from the EPL- Meanwhile we we were on the verge of collapse, until Fergus McCann took us over and luckily saved us, and you all loved it. Your club deserves everything you've got now- the success you had in the 1990's was a poisoned chalice.

Last edited:
No one seems to invest in the league anyway- hence why scottish football is so dire at the moment- so not much would change there. Sponsorship deals are based on shirt sales- hence why celtic signed a lucrative contract with Nike for 5 years which a lot of our money comes from..

The reason why were all revelling on it was because of the bears behaviour in the 90's: The RFC chairman of the time Murray were saying when you were "spending 10 pounds for every pound celtic spend", buying 9 league titles and getting players from the EPL- Meanwhile we we were on the verge of collapse, until Fergus McCann took us over and luckily saved us, and you all loved it. Your club deserves everything you've got now- the success you had in the 1990's was a poisoned chalice.

First of all, think of the non playing staff who are facing the prospect of redundancy. This affects livelihoods and nobody 'deserves' that. In fact even the players will have a lot of uncertainty. Unless you are Carlos Tevez and can afford to mess about playing golf, it's a horrible situation.

Second – Rangers are hardly the only team in the world to have operated this way. Why do you think UEFA have new regulations for living within your means. Man City hasn’t made a profit in who knows when! Barcelona, Real Madrid and Man Utd are the biggest names in football and each of them have crazy debt!

The difference being the clubs assets are far superior to Rangers. They have such large revenues and valuable assets they can get away with it. Rangers have Kirk Broadfoot.

Third -The main reason Celtic and Rangers are able to gain lucrative sponsorships are because of the global attraction to old firm derbies. The Sky TV deal might not generate much money on its own but sponsors know that they will have plenty of coverage because the old firm are always on TV.

Sky/ESPN has a contract which states the deal is reliant on 4 OF games a season. Remove Rangers and you remove the TV deal, remove that and you will lose sponsors. Not in their entirety of course but it will have an effect on budgets which will affect wages, which will affect the quality of player you can attract.

First of all, think of the non playing staff who are facing the prospect of redundancy. This affects livelihoods and nobody 'deserves' that. In fact even the players will have a lot of uncertainty. Unless you are Carlos Tevez and can afford to mess about playing golf, it's a horrible situation.

Second – Rangers are hardly the only team in the world to have operated this way. Why do you think UEFA have new regulations for living within your means. Man City hasn’t made a profit in who knows when! Barcelona, Real Madrid and Man Utd are the biggest names in football and each of them have crazy debt!

The difference being the clubs assets are far superior to Rangers. They have such large revenues and valuable assets they can get away with it. Rangers have Kirk Broadfoot.

Third -The main reason Celtic and Rangers are able to gain lucrative sponsorships are because of the global attraction to old firm derbies. The Sky TV deal might not generate much money on its own but sponsors know that they will have plenty of coverage because the old firm are always on TV.

Sky/ESPN has a contract which states the deal is reliant on 4 OF games a season. Remove Rangers and you remove the TV deal, remove that and you will lose sponsors. Not in their entirety of course but it will have an effect on budgets which will affect wages, which will affect the quality of player you can attract.

Bang on. But when such idiotic hatred runs so deep between both sets of fans-no one gives a dam about the innocent's involved in this messed up situation. Though I'm not saying ALL the fans from the clubs. Just the ones blinded by pure hatred and are ignorant to common sense.

And HMRC have given Rangers under an hour to appoint an administrator

A race between Craig Whyte and HMRC to appoint an administrator? Lol.

It was me who posted about it on the other Rangers thread, a Hearts fan, just FYI.

Kris is a Hearts fan like Chick Young is a St Mirren fan.

Rangers did not just spend more money than they had though like most football teams they full on cheated and not just football, they cheated us, the tax payers (ok maybe not me then). Which of course raising several issues. You could arguably say this caused the downfall of Scottish football eg, the table the season before Murray took over, 1985 .

Kris is a Hearts fan like Chick Young is a St Mirren fan.

My plan of coming out that closet when Hearts go bust has went up the ***** pipe.

Rangers did not just spend more money than they had though like most football teams they full on cheated and not just football, they cheated us, the tax payers (ok maybe not me then). Which of course raising several issues..

Yeah you make a good point actually. It’s not the sole reason they have money issues though. Craig Whyte claimed he would clear the 20 odd million debts from his own personal fortune but who knows what’s happened there.

The guy is as big a crook as Murray. From what I understand he makes his money by purchasing companies that are on the brink and actually sends them there! He makes sure that he becomes the main creditor, thus making the majority of the debt owed to him. The guy has known this was going to happen from the start.

You could arguably say this caused the downfall of Scottish football eg, the table the season before Murray took over, 1985 ...

It does leave us thinking ‘what if?’ and IF they do go out of business, maybe it will finally get the ball rolling for an expansion to the league?

Let's be honest - Rangers won't go bankrupt. They'll have a much tighter economy for the next few years and will get docked 10 points. Their economic problem is due to what they spent on winning their previous titles.

Appearing now that not only did Rangers evade tax but since May they straight up havent been paying any, HRMC now saying that theyve withheld £9m since May.

Am I right in thinking the other down side to this is that it has been Celtic and Rangers past in Europe that have kept their qualifying place in the Champions League. If Rangers go under totally then Uefa may only give you a Europa League spot. Celtic will lose even more money from the Champions league and get a smaller amount from the Europa league. Their Uefa co-efficient ranking will drop massively.

<) - Filthy bigot Team 1 of 2 in huge bother.
:( - Potentially affects my club in a negative way.

Am I right in thinking the other down side to this is that it has been Celtic and Rangers past in Europe that have kept their qualifying place in the Champions League. If Rangers go under totally then Uefa may only give you a Europa League spot. Celtic will lose even more money from the Champions league and get a smaller amount from the Europa league. Their Uefa co-efficient ranking will drop massively.

Hardly. Norway's still got a CL qualifying spot. And we're terribad.

Lets see how many Rangers fans remain Rangers fans after all this, Will show all the TRUE fans who don't turn their back. I'm Confident Rangers will come out of this stronger than ever. (HOPEFULLY)

Rangers till i Die, i'll be there on saturday cheering on the lads.

Let's be honest - Rangers won't go bankrupt. They'll have a much tighter economy for the next few years and will get docked 10 points. Their economic problem is due to what they spent on winning their previous titles.

To be honest, it's certainly looking like the owner wants the club to go into administration.. I guess that's what you get when you put a "Scottish billionaire" in charge... He's definitely one of those words.

It's done on coefficients.. Scotland hasn't really done anything in Europe since 2008, hence the free-fall in the rankings.. When you consider countries like Cyprus, Austria & Israel are ahead of Scotland it's not a particularly daunting task for Celtic will certainly be a lot tougher.

Also, every nation is entitled to having a CL club, there will never be a time where all that is given to Scotland is 1 Europa League spot.

Last edited:
To be honest, it's certainly looking like the owner wants the club to go into administration.. I guess that's what you get when you put a "Scottish billionaire" in charge... He's definitely one of those words.

It's done on coefficients.. Scotland hasn't really done anything in Europe since 2008, hence the free-fall in the rankings.. When you consider countries like Cyprus, Austria & Israel are ahead of Scotland it's not a particularly daunting task for Celtic will certainly be a lot tougher.

Also, every nation is entitled to having a CL club, there will never be a time where all that is given to Scotland is 1 Europa League spot.

****** Tony Mowbray- took us from a near Quarter Final place in champions league, getting beaten by that goal by Kaka under Gordon Strachen- to being thankful for being in the Europa league again.

I think celtic will do better in europe next year- played really well against Udinese in both ties, which isn't bad for a team with an average age of 23.

[video=youtube;l_ytGtlCR30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ytGtlCR30&feature=related[/video]

And we're supposed to be the bigots?;)

One more and I'll report you to the mods!;)

****** Tony Mowbray- took us from a near Quarter Final place in champions league, getting beaten by that goal by Kaka under Gordon Strachen- to being thankful for being in the Europa league again.

I think celtic will do better in europe next year- played really well against Udinese in both ties, which isn't bad for a team with an average age of 23.

You better hope you do better next year because Scotland's coefficients are going to go down like crazy after they lose their 2007-08 points.