Rangers go into Administration.

Didn't I hear the bears shouting about this earlier with glee? BBC News - Celtic FC announces big profits fall for second half of 2011- How times have changed in the last few hours.

Let the bear baiting begin i guess?

YNWA

I saw someone baiting with that link, probably Kris. The irony in it is that 90% of the article is about how Celtic aren't actually doing too badly and have cut their debt by £2,000,000. Also, managing to make a profit with no European football is pretty impressive.

Anyway, back to the topic, I think we all knew this one coming, however I'm surprised it was so soon.

I saw someone baiting with that link, probably Kris. The irony in it is that 90% of the article is about how Celtic are making a profit and have actually cut their debt by £2,000,000. Also, managing to make a profit with no European football is pretty impressive.

Anyway, back to the topic, I think we all knew this one coming, however I'm surprised it was so soon.

I know, it was a bit of a misleading headline really.

Should be plenty of good banter about this!

Now I await all the hatred getting spewed up in this thread- and people who don't really know much about Scottish football, saying Celtic are also doomed, with not much evidence oO)

Last edited:
Maybe if their fans bought rangers shirts instead of city and liverpool ones to **** us off last year in the CL they wouldn't be in this mess ;)
I'm not going to lie and say i like rangers, i have always despised them i hope they pull through this mess though

Rangers, soon Portsmouth maybe, Darlington.....the list will grow longer before long.

Now I await all the hatred getting spewed up in this thread- and people who don't really know much about Scottish football, saying Celtic are also doomed, with not much evidence oO)

There isn't 'evidence' for either side of the argument, as the situation has never arisen before.

There is, however, facts & figures to be used in tandem with logical conclusions of the results of Rangers going out of business, or being significantly weakened, which would point towards Celtic and Scottish football being up **** creek without a paddle.

Rangers aren't going to fall down the leagues, they will go into administration lose some points and finish 2nd or 3rd thats all
SPL will still be as **** as usual and their will always be an old firm

There isn't 'evidence' for either side of the argument, as the situation has never arisen before.

There is, however, facts & figures to be used in tandem with logical conclusions of the results of Rangers going out of business, or being significantly weakened, which would point towards Celtic and Scottish football being up **** creek without a paddle.

Really.. You really want to get back to this argument? FFS.

Didn't I hear the bears shouting about this earlier with glee? BBC News - Celtic FC announces big profits fall for second half of 2011- How times have changed in the last few hours.

Let the bear baiting begin i guess?

YNWA

It was me who posted about it on the other Rangers thread, a Hearts fan, just FYI.

I saw someone baiting with that link, probably Kris. The irony in it is that 90% of the article is about how Celtic aren't actually doing too badly and have cut their debt by £2,000,000. Also, managing to make a profit with no European football is pretty impressive.

I wasn't actually baiting anyone, as tempting as it is on here. It was relivant to the entire thread. Joel and Godcubed made several points about Celtic's ability to sustain themselves if Rangers go under and the counter arguement's were about their high profit margains.

I don't think anyone was claiming Celtic were doomed but it's terrible news for Scottish football and the local economy. I really think Celtic fans are diluded if they don't see any downside to Rangers going under.

The season is over now, let's be realistic. Rangers will be docked ten points and will have to agree payment terms with creditors, I believe they need 75% approval from them on payments to come out of administration. They have a lot of valuable assets which might stop them going under. Murray park, Ibrox and players such as McGregor will bring in a fee.

There is always the prospect of creating a pheonix club to lose the debt, as Leeds done in 2007 but they were only allowed to do this with certain conditions. I'm not sure how that will work in Scotland.

The SFA will do everything it can to stop them going bust but what gets me is that Livingston were thrown into division three for their poor finances. Will they do that to Rangers? Not ****** likely.

As a fan of Scottish football, these are worrying times.

It was me who posted about it on the other Rangers thread, a Hearts fan, just FYI.

I wasn't actually baiting anyone, as tempting as it is on here. It was relivant to the entire thread. Joel and Godcubed made several points about Celtic's ability to sustain themselves if Rangers go under and the counter arguement's were about their high profit margains.

I don't think anyone was claiming Celtic were doomed but it's terrible news for Scottish football and the local economy. I really think Celtic fans are diluded if they don't see any downside to Rangers going under.

The season is over now, let's be realistic. Rangers will be docked ten points and will have to agree payment terms with creditors, I believe they need 75% approval from them on payments to come out of administration. They have a lot of valuable assets which might stop them going under. Murray park, Ibrox and players such as McGregor will bring in a fee.

There is always the prospect of creating a pheonix club to lose the debt, as Leeds done in 2007 but they were only allowed to do this with certain conditions. I'm not sure how that will work in Scotland.

The SFA will do everything it can to stop them going bust but what gets me is that Livingston were thrown into division three for their poor finances. Will they do that to Rangers? Not ****** likely.

As a fan of Scottish football, these are worrying times.

I see downsides into Rangers going under, sure I do- I'm not stupid, however it might not be as bad as people make out. We get hardly anything for the OF TV deals anyway i think its 2 million a season? Thats nothing compared to how much we make off our Nike Kit deal for 5 years which is about 5 million a season. I know people will turn up to see celtic against anyone, no matter how bad the league is.

Might also give some of the smaller teams a chance?

Also it might hypothetically pave the way to the league structures in Europe as keeps on being suggested I'd imagine it would be easier for celtic hypothetically get into an Atlantic league with the big teams in Portugal, holland (the B leagues and teams of europe if you will) without Rangers due to Rangers poor relations with European teams due to fan violence etc etc. That might be pretty far in the future, but if the noises from Real M, Barca and Bayern M are true- then the EPL won't be able to stop your Man Utd's joining up for a NFL type super league with all the top teams in europe, with like i said a B league below it?

Last edited:

How is it a logical conclusion if all celtic have to gain from Rangers is the TV money- which is barely anything to the clubs turnover? I just don't get this line of argument. Celtic fans worldwide don't go to see celtic or buy the numerous shirts (probbably our main source of income) because of rangers believe me.

I see downsides into Rangers going under, sure I do- I'm not stupid, however it might not be as bad as people make out. We get hardly anything for the OF TV deals anyway i think its 2 million a season? Thats nothing compared to how much we make off our Nike Kit deal for 5 years which is about 5 million a season. I know people will turn up to see celtic against anyone, no matter how bad the league is.

Might also give some of the smaller teams a chance?

Also it might hypothetically pave the way to the league structures in Europe as keeps on being suggested I'd imagine it would be easier for celtic hypothetically get into an Atlantic league with the big teams in Portugal, holland (the B leagues and teams of europe if you will) without Rangers due to Rangers poor relations with European teams due to fan violence etc etc. That might be pretty far in the future, but if the noises from Real M, Barca and Bayern M are true- then the EPL won't be able to stop your Man Utd's joining up for a NFL type super league with all the top teams in europe, with like i said a B league below it?

Celtic would obviously be able to keep their heads above water, with or without Rangers but what about the teams in the SPL?

Motherwell, Kilmarnock,Inverness, St Mirren etc etc rely heavily on their home games against the old firm. You might be able to get by without the tv funds but the smaller clubs won't, which further degrades the league.

It's the main reason why clubs opose a 14,16 or 18 team top flight. Money.

How is it a logical conclusion if all celtic have to gain from Rangers is the TV money- which is barely anything to the clubs turnover? I just don't get this line of argument. Celtic fans worldwide don't go to see celtic or buy the numerous shirts (probbably our main source of income) because of rangers believe me.

If Rangers go and remove any remnant of competition that was in the Scottish league, then there's no reason for players to move to Scotland. The league quality degrades over time, you argue that the teams beneath will become more competitive - true, but competitive at a lower level than that between Celtic and Rangers.

The SPL has even less money to distribute in the form prize winnings, so the smaller teams receive even less to spend in transfers and wages. You don't even have 100% attendances right now, you had 83.3% for your last game, and you've had attendances at 50-60% before in league games. Why bother going when your player quality decreases even more? You can argue from a loyalist fan point that fans will go regardless, but it's not even true now.

If TV companies barely see a reason now to invest in Scottish football, there's certainly little benefit without Rangers. You say this is but a pitiful £2m, but why would your worldwide fanbase bother with buying £50 shirts, when they don't even get the TV coverage of you play?

Whenever you think of a high reputation league, you think of its successful teams. La Liga you think of Barca, Madrdid, Valencia etc. Serie A has the Milan teams, Juventus. France has Lyon, OM etc. England has United, Liverpool, Arsenal and now City, Chelsea. Every one of these teams is reliant on their counterparts within the league, whether they want to admit it or not. They're the attractions, they bring in the money and the fans. If you to remove all of the best teams from all of these leagues and form a European super league, how do you think their respective domestic leagues would fare? Well? No. All of the money is drawn to the place where the demand is, Scotland already has low demand, the old firm is essentially all it has. A European super league would draw records sponsorships, TV revenues, but domestically while competition between the remaining is higher, attendances would fall and the overall quality falls as the money dries up.

The fun part is that even if Rangers are docked, say, 10 points, they'll still be comfortably in second place. The SPL is a massive pile of ***** as it is, take Rangers away from it and you'll kill half the league. A lot of smaller teams will get screwed as well and in a couple years' time Celtic will be playing with Andorran teams in the CL qualification rounds.

Yeah, who'd figure Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell would say in his objective, unbiased view that they don't need Rangers. What a surprise!

Pretty sure he's bluffing, just doing it to get up all the Celtic fan's arses. If it came to it he'd be crapping himself as much as a Rangers fun... Unless he is actually incredibly retarded and an utterly incompetent businessman.

Last edited: