Rangers hit with 12 month transfer embargo.

It was a little different. Celtics situation was as much to do with the Whyte family, and then the Kelly's taking money out of the club (when we were one of the best sides in europe) and then never putting it back in. Rather than in Rangers case a sugar daddy pumping money in, and then his business almost going bust and then not being able to carry on paying the money (as well as not paying taxes).

A little bit similar to the two manchester clubs. Although I doubt the Glaziers will destroy United, and I doubt City's owners will run out of money to keep funding City.

im sorry is deciding to break the law to the tune of £70m in order to buy players acceptable now? its not that rangers 'couldnt afford' to pay their tax bill, they chose to avoid tax payments to spend the money on players

So how is your directors taking money out for personal gain any less wrong than Murray using a tax loophole to fund player signings?

So how is your directors taking money out for personal gain any less wrong than Murray using a tax loophole to fund player signings?

I wasn't saying it was... ? Glad the club is a PLC now, best thing to ever happen to Celtic, celtic were terribly run before .

Just pointing out the differences between buying success and bad management...

Last edited:
I wasn't saying it was... ?

Just pointing out the differences between buying success and bad management...

It was more directed at AM67, my appologies to you. You make a fair point though.

It would be so much easier if all welsh and Scottish clubs where brought into the English league system and just have one massive system. Then there would be no complaining about making leagues competitive and no rows over sponsor money. If people think that sky only invest in because of the old firm then it would make more sense that smaller teams (not trying to offend anyone) would do better. Look at the likes of Swansea and Cardiff. Both are by no means "big clubs" but one is already reaping the rewards of a season in the premier league and the other has ever chance of getting there and reached the final of a cup.
Im sorry that my rant was off topic slightly but it just makes more sense.
Anyway as I am someone from the republic of Ireland I can easily be accused of being biased in favour of Celtic. Sure there has been no consistency from the spl but rangers do deserve there punishment. It's the same with clubs in england so on the matter. Rangers deserve it and it's probably best for Scottish football to fold into the English league system.
As I said I don't want to cause offence and I know having a Scottish leagues makes people feel proud of there identity but I would nearly prefer the Irish league system to fold in and have one giant British isles league system. Sure it would take many years but the size of even the biggest Irish clubs such as bohs and shamrock rovers is comparable to league 1 sides.
i realise I maybe infracted for going off topic but it's the truth.

It would be so much easier if all welsh and Scottish clubs where brought into the English league system and just have one massive system. Then there would be no complaining about making leagues competitive and no rows over sponsor money. If people think that sky only invest in because of the old firm then it would make more sense that smaller teams (not trying to offend anyone) would do better. Look at the likes of Swansea and Cardiff. Both are by no means "big clubs" but one is already reaping the rewards of a season in the premier league and the other has ever chance of getting there and reached the final of a cup.
Im sorry that my rant was off topic slightly but it just makes more sense.
Anyway as I am someone from the republic of Ireland I can easily be accused of being biased in favour of Celtic. Sure there has been no consistency from the spl but rangers do deserve there punishment. It's the same with clubs in england so on the matter. Rangers deserve it and it's probably best for Scottish football to fold into the English league system.
As I said I don't want to cause offence and I know having a Scottish leagues makes people feel proud of there identity but I would nearly prefer the Irish league system to fold in and have one giant British isles league system. Sure it would take many years but the size of even the biggest Irish clubs such as bohs and shamrock rovers is comparable to league 1 sides.
i realise I maybe infracted for going off topic but it's the truth.

The truth is that the SPL governing bodies need to get their house in order to at least try to ensure this never happens again. It's becoming all too familiar story in England AND Scotland now.

one of them is against the law, one of them isnt

one club paid their debts, one club isn't going to

really like

really lol

really like

really lol

I think you'll find that money laundering is illegal.

lol

na ur right rangers should be allowed to do whatever they want and cheat every club they have played against in the past 20 years and every person who has watched these games and every person who pays tax in the UK because of what they bring to scottish football

really like

really lol

They're both illegal. Both clubs broke the rules.

I think you'll find that money laundering is illegal.

Celtic didn't do anything illegal, afaik. That's the difference. There's loads of ways to avoid tax, but it has to be done through legal means.

Personally, I think it's too harsh. Point deduction, lack of European football and administration followed by new owners should be what happens. Alternatively, if they want to be harsh, they could take all their cups and titles for the period when illegalities where commited. That way, only the years when things were being done illegally would be affected, yet the future of the club would be more secure.

They're both illegal. Both clubs broke the rules.

Sauce?

lol

na ur right rangers should be allowed to do whatever they want and cheat every club they have played against in the past 20 years and every person who has watched these games and every person who pays tax in the UK because of what they bring to scottish football

No one said that, and to be honest you really arent putting yourself across very well, should give it a rest.

Not surprising to see a Celtic fan suggesting its justice and continuing the theme of kicking ranger's while they are down, but you know everyone's entitled to an opinion.

Where did I say you weren't entitled to your opinion? I don't believe I said anything like that. You gave yours and I was giving mine.

It's not just Celtic fans suggesting that it's justice. I have read comments from fans from clubs like Aberdeen to Dundee United as well so it's not just us. Where's the justice for all the other clubs & companies that Rangers owe money to?

Kicking them when they are down? This is the victim mentality that they play on every single time. If a criminal was being convicted of only one crime and evidence was produced at a later stage of him committing more crimes do you think that would be kicking the criminal when he was down? Rangers have been digging their own grave for years and it's all coming to light now and they are getting punished for it, yet it's THEM that are the ones that are hard done by.

I suppose with that **** McCoist irresponsibly coming out by saying that he wanted to know the names of the people on the panel that handed out Rangers punishment (even though he would have already known as a Rangers member was at the hearing), and said members now receiving threats, they are still the victims in all of this?

Rangers - along with McCoist - should get everything they deserve.

Can you tell me where I said Rangers didn't deserve to be punished? I must have forgot about posting that.

How did you not do what Rangers did? You both spent outside your means. You both had the people you owed both call in the administrators on you. They're parallel.

The situation with Celtic back in 1994 was different to Rangers situation. Celtic's debt of £7m at that time was mainly due to exceeding the bank's overdraft and due to the then board's mismanagement of the finances and the way they were running the club. Celtic weren't using scheme's illegally. They weren't spending vast sums on players they couldn't really afford (hence the "biscuit tin" mentality that was being used to describe the old Celtic board). They weren't acquiring players and not paying for them. They weren't dodging tax. Rangers were.

Rangers have been in administration since 14th February so they technically still have a chance to avoid going bust. Celtic were 24 hours from going bust - they never went into administration. The bank gave Celtic 24 hours to pay a minimum £1m or else they would put the club into receivership, so it was pretty much pay up or close the doors.

The bottom line is Rangers have brought all of this on themselves and are now actually starting to pay for it all. That idiot David Murray's "for every £5 Celtic spend we will spend £10" quip is coming back to haunt them big style now. He's the one that started it yet it's the SFA's fault; it's Craig Whyte's fault; it's Nil By Mouth's fault; it's that wee man doon the road and his dug's fault.

No - it's RANGER'S fault, no one else's, and they should reap what they sow.

Slap it into them. :)

I may be called biased, but their punishment doesn't seem one bit harsh to me. 10 point deduction - which has been proven as meaningless - and no European football are both products of entering Administration and apply to every club. A 12 month transfer embargo is well deserved too, afterall, Rangers have been signing players with money that isn't theirs for over a decade, they have been using tax-payers money to fund the fee's and wages of these players to gain success. Nevermind not being allowed to sign players for 12 months, every trophy and success they gained whilst fielding players bought illegally should be reviewed and discredited where necessary.

The fact that threats were sent to those who were sat on the panel sums up their club as a whole. They are a odious, repugnant excuse for a football club who spread hate where-ever they go. I have seen people mention the religious divide between the clubs and in Scotland as a whole. This religious divide is mostly persuaded by Rangers - a club who refused to sign a Catholic player until 1989, and this was met with representatives saying "It was a sad day to see a Roman Catholic at Ibrox". They also refused to employ Catholics and discriminated against those who married a Catholic. Even once they went into Administration their fans stated that "Catholics should be shown the door first" and that "This is what happens when you let Taigs into the club". It's no wonder there is a divide when one side has such a deep-rooted hatred for the large majority of the other sides supporters simply because of their Religion.

On the other hand, Celtic have always been a club welcome to all. Some of the greatest men to pass through our gates have been Protestant. And I'm not saying Celtic don't have a Sectarian problem, but it is far less than that of Rangers' problem and something Celtic as a club have tried to eradicate fully.

Added to the fact that Rangers fans taunt the Irish Famine every 2nd week at Ibrox, sing about being "Up to our knee's in Fenian blood", making **** salutes whilst in Isreal for a European game, trashing every city they visit (Manchester). Etc etc.

Since the idea that Rangers may actually be liquidated, there has been various views that it could actually mean the end of the bigotry and hatred deep-rooted in Scottish football. So I'm not gonna say I'm not enjoying Rangers squirm at the thought that their "Quintessential (HA) British Club" could actually cease to exist. In fact, I actually love the idea of a world without Rangers Football Club. Football, and Scotland in general would be a much nicer place without that lot.

Do I hate them enough to pass off the damage it could do to my club? Of course not. My hatred of Rangers is nothing to my love of Celtic, so if we 'need' Rangers to survive, then it's something I'll accept. Do I believe that? Not fully, no. I've never subscribed to the view that Celtic need Rangers to prosper, and in fact it seems to only be Rangers fans and non-Scottish football fans who believe it. I seem to remember that the last time Rangers were languishing in the league and fell from power it granted other teams a chance and they prospered under this. It's not like the TV deals and Sponsorship deals we receive go much to adding to our finances, in fact, the deals are absolutely pitiful. I believe, well admittedly half-believe, that a league without Rangers would see other clubs like Hearts and Motherwell prosper, by this it is natural that they will gain more finances - from better sponsorship, more merchandise being sold due to added fan interest, more revenue from gate receipts etc. You can see when big occasions like Cup Finals and Derbies come along that teams like Hearts attract a bigger support than their regular attendance every second week. So if they're up there challenging for the league then it must be natural for them to attract this extra support. And all those Rangers fans have to go somewhere, right? Be it a local team or latch onto their neighbours, Hearts.

Like I said, I only half-believe this theory. But at the end of the day, it isn't impossible. But for now, I'll not begrudge - and in fact I'll join in on laughing at Rangers fans squirm and despair at the thought of not having a club they can use to vent their hatred at anything green they see.

Last edited:
they owe money to clubs all over europe the ban should have been longer or untill every team they owe money to is paid off