Rangers into liquidation before the season ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxy67

Reaction score
Rangers owner Craig Whyte admits he sold four years' worth of season tickets to keep Ibrox club running - The Daily Record

So it turns out most of the evidence produced by BBC Scotland could well be true and it looks like Rangers Football club could owe even more than the HMRC bill.

I don't want this to turn into a big hateful argument, was just wondering what people think will happen if Rangers do go into liquidation, and what that means for the rest of scottish football? Would rangers fans for instance start supporting their local teams?

Do Rangers fans blame Whyte for turning them into the scottish Portsmouth?

As a Rangers fan It is worrying to hear but It's no surprise, rumours have been flying about for the past year. I personally blame both Murray & Whyte for the mess that Rangers find themselves in.

But liquidation?? gimme a break there will always be a Rangers Football Club, Celtic were close the the wall 20 years ago, under different circumstances admittedly but they survived and so will Rangers

but

If Rangers do go into liquidation we may as well close the doors on Scottish football forever, TV deals with Sky/ESPN would collapse. (let's be honest they only invested in Scottish football because of both halves of the Old firm)

Sky's deal is all about the 4 old firm games per season (fact) & I feel that they would never invest in Scottish football just to beam live games of Celtic vs St Mirren/Dunfermline/Inverness (no disrespect to those clubs) because there would never be a big enough audience attracted south of the border.

As a Rangers fan It is worrying to hear but It's no surprise, rumours have been flying about for the past year. I personally blame both Murray & Whyte for the mess that Rangers find themselves in.

But liquidation?? gimme a break there will always be a Rangers Football Club, Celtic were close the the wall 20 years ago, under different circumstances admittedly but they survived and so will Rangers

Big thing about this one though is that with us we didn't owe anywhere near what Rangers owe now. We owed £7m in debt at that time and and McCann acted as a guarantor against that debt and bought 51% of the shares to stop the club going into bankruptcy. He also put the club on the stock exchange and made it a PLC which made the club more money with fans and other people buying into it.

Rangers, on the other hand, have a £49m tax case against them, and a further £24.4m has been borrowed due to the selling of 4 years worth of season tickets so that is MORE debt on top of what there already is. What company and who would actually come in and save them the state that they are in? Look at the amount of money that would have to be pumped into the club JUST to keep them afloat for instance. There is a very realistic situation where Rangers CAN go bust.

They enter administration - which is the most likely outcome - they won't be able to enter into any European competitions so that will be a huge lack of funds. They also receive a points deduction every year that they are in administration as well so they already start off on the back foot as soon as the season starts. Also there is a transfer embargo so they will not be able to bring in any players either except to replace players who have left and an emergency goalkeeper.

Looking VERY grim for Rangers no matter what happens.

but

If Rangers do go into liquidation we may as well close the doors on Scottish football forever, TV deals with Sky/ESPN would collapse. (let's be honest they only invested in Scottish football because of both halves of the Old firm)

Sky's deal is all about the 4 old firm games per season (fact) & I feel that they would never invest in Scottish football just to beam live games of Celtic vs St Mirren/Dunfermline/Inverness (no disrespect to those clubs) because there would never be a big enough audience attracted south of the border.

Disagree with this as well because if Rangers did cease there would be more competition for places in the league and the league places bring different bonus money so with other teams fighting for this space it would help. It's not a huge amount but it would help them. Celtic would be the dominant club but there would be an extra spot for Europe for one of the other clubs too. They may not do well in the qualifiers BUT the money they would get would be huge for them. This would in turn increase ticket sales for the clubs as well with matches like this. "Smaller" teams would have more of a possible cup run as well.

The money that the SPL get for TV rights is a pittance anyway so not much would be lost there but there would always be someone - even if Sky aren't - interested in a TV rights deal for Scottish football so there would always be a certain amount of money coming in.

You just have to look at what it was like before David Murray came to Rangers and prior to 1990. The Scottish game was a lot more open and was a lot more competition as well and I think it would go back to similar competition. The game didn't die then and it won't even if the worse happens with Rangers now.

I think it's wrong to think that Scottish football would die without Rangers because that's like saying the Scottish game wouldn't survive without Rangers and they need them, which in my opinion is rubbish. "Smaller" teams MAY rely in one way on income by playing Rangers BUT they wouldn't die just because they wouldn't be playing them anymore. These clubs are in charge of their own income - not just by purely relying on playing Rangers.

Very dark days for Rangers FC indeed but they can blame no one apart from themselves for the situation that they are in now.

I really couldnt be bothered going into great detail.

The online Celtic family have been warning Rangers fans for ages. We just got laughed at and it was just dismissed as Tims being ******.

Hopefully Rangers die :) they deserve it and we can certainly survive/progress alone.

Can't see why anyone would want to see Rangers go under. Benefits nobody. If Celtic fans reckon they can survive and, critically, prosper in what would practically become a one-team dominated league, then they're absolutely bonkers.

Because they cheated, because I hate a lot of their fans and I hate what the club stands/stood for.

So for those reasons, you'd have them go under, in order for Celtic to stagnate in an easy league?

Can't see why anyone would want to see Rangers go under. Benefits nobody. If Celtic fans reckon they can survive and, critically, prosper in what would practically become a one-team dominated league, then they're absolutely bonkers.

I dont disagree with your first statement- if you were a neutral. Celtics finances are in amazing shape, the club has been run very prudently since we almost went under. But if you look back at history the scottish league flourished without rangers doing well, in the 80's dundee untied and Aberdeen did great in europe. Might mean that fans start seeing their local clubs etc. I also think its a good thing for Celtic as it will mean they won't have to be tarnished with the "old firm" brush, being associated with the racism, sectarianism and violence many (not all) rangers fans have plagued across europe. And before anyone mentions the ufea fines for "sectarian singing" at celtic games- it was the fields of athen rhy- Liverpool sing the same tune with different words.

I dont disagree with your first statement- if you were a neutral. Celtics finances are in amazing shape, the club has been run very prudently since we almost went under. But if you look back at history the scottish league flourished without rangers doing well, in the 80's dundee untied and Aberdeen did great in europe. Might mean that fans start seeing their local clubs etc. I also think its a good thing for Celtic as it will mean they won't have to be tarnished with the "old firm" brush, being associated with the racism, sectarianism and violence many (not all) rangers fans have plagued across europe.

Right, Celtic's finances are fine, great even. But what happens when TV revenue starts dropping without Old Firm matches to interest the fans outside Scotland? What kind of attraction is there for foreign fans in watching Celtic crush other teams and waltz off into the distance with the title by January each year? Simple fact is, it'll mean less money coming in to the league, and Scottish football will stagnate in comparison to other, more competitive and more marketable leagues.

I dont disagree with your first statement- if you were a neutral. Celtics finances are in amazing shape, the club has been run very prudently since we almost went under. But if you look back at history the scottish league flourished without rangers doing well, in the 80's dundee untied and Aberdeen did great in europe. Might mean that fans start seeing their local clubs etc. I also think its a good thing for Celtic as it will mean they won't have to be tarnished with the "old firm" brush, being associated with the racism, sectarianism and violence many (not all) rangers fans have plagued across europe. And before anyone mentions the ufea fines for "sectarian singing" at celtic games- it was the fields of athen rhy- Liverpool sing the same tune with different words.

Rangers and celtic fans are just as bad as each other.

Also neither club would particularly well without the other. Whatever image the SPL has outside Scotland hangs on the Old Firm. The club finances for most of the teams hang on games against the old Firm.

Scottish football was fine in the 80s when Rangers were not one of the top teams. Four different teams won the league and two Scottish teams played European finals. Then David Murray took over Rangers, spent money that he didn't have and as a result nobody could compete with Rangers financially except Celtic, turning the league into a two horse race. The Scottish league does not need Rangers, and will be fine without them. Celtic do not need Rangers, and without them, a move to England is very likely. The league as a whole will be more competitive, which will lead to higher attendances, which will lead to more money, better players, better quality of football, more money... etc. In the short term clubs may suffer financially but in the long term it is not at all the end of Scottish football if Rangers do go under.

Scottish football was fine in the 80s when Rangers were not one of the top teams. Four different teams won the league and two Scottish teams played European finals. Then David Murray took over Rangers, spent money that he didn't have and as a result nobody could compete with Rangers financially except Celtic, turning the league into a two horse race. The Scottish league does not need Rangers, and will be fine without them. Celtic do not need Rangers, and without them, a move to England is very likely. The league as a whole will be more competitive, which will lead to higher attendances, which will lead to more money, better players, better quality of football, more money... etc. In the short term clubs may suffer financially but in the long term it is not at all the end of Scottish football if Rangers do go under.

right, firstly there is no move to england. it would be shot down by every football league club in a heart beat. secondly the league would be a one horse race, that isnt competitive. Most financial neutral perspectives agree that the league in its current state would be serverely harmed by the demise of either Old firm club.

So for those reasons, you'd have them go under, in order for Celtic to stagnate in an easy league?
Yes. They cheated and should be punished for it. What is to say the league will be easy? Hearts/Dundee/Motherwell could make a step up with the extra money they would receive. Worst comes to worst we move to a Atlantic league.

Rangers and celtic fans are just as bad as each other.

LOL.

Yes. They cheated and should be punished for it. What is to say the league will be easy? Hearts/Dundee/Motherwell could make a step up with the extra money they would receive. Worst comes to worst we move to a Atlantic league.

The extra money they receive will likely be cancelled out by the money lost from not having a credible title challenger. For the few years it takes for another club to become a realistic challenger, the money will dissipate as the TV companies realise how much demand has dropped. Whilst in the future it might level out and be a competitive league again, the SPL will take quite a long time to get back to its previous level.

right, firstly there is no move to england. it would be shot down by every football league club in a heart beat. secondly the league would be a one horse race, that isnt competitive. Most financial neutral perspectives agree that the league in its current state would be serverely harmed by the demise of either Old firm club.

No move to England based on what? A lot of clubs would not be against Celtic in the EPL, especially the poorer ones. If Celtic stay in the SPL then we would almost certainly win the league for at least 5 years, but there will still be three european spots for other SPL teams to compete for. Celtic wouldn't be able to attract as high calibre of player as they can at the moment, and SPL clubs such as Hearts competing in the CL and EL would be able to attract a higher calibre of player than they can at the moment, narrowing the gap, until eventually Celtic are challenged for the title. I'm not disputing that SPL clubs would take a hit financially, but TV money recieved by clubs outside the Glasgow clubs is very little and in the long term I feel the league would benefit.

No move to England based on what? A lot of clubs would not be against Celtic in the EPL, especially the poorer ones. If Celtic stay in the SPL then we would almost certainly win the league for at least 5 years, but there will still be three european spots for other SPL teams to compete for. Celtic wouldn't be able to attract as high calibre of player as they can at the moment, and SPL clubs such as Hearts competing in the CL and EL would be able to attract a higher calibre of player than they can at the moment, narrowing the gap, until eventually Celtic are challenged for the title. I'm not disputing that SPL clubs would take a hit financially, but TV money recieved by clubs outside the Glasgow clubs is very little and in the long term I feel the league would benefit.

Actually all of the league teams who have spoken about it are, as it blocks them in promotion, secondly there isnt a financial benefit for poorer epl teams. Poorer is a relative term, most of these pay bigger wages and the celtic, and the tv money is far superior, to the point that playing celtic has no effect.

The only side that would benefit from a move, is celtic, but i dont want to clog this thread up. Still feel an atlantic league is the way to go for Celtic imo

I don't know if its as significant in England as it is in Scotland, but a lot of Scottish clubs rely on the cash they get from Celtic's away support. Assumed the clubs in England such as Wigan and Bolton who do not fill their stadium would benefit from playing Celtic. Atlantic league is really unlikely imo

I don't know if its as significant in England as it is in Scotland, but a lot of Scottish clubs rely on the cash they get from Celtic's away support. Assumed the clubs in England such as Wigan and Bolton who do not fill their stadium would benefit from playing Celtic. Atlantic league is really unlikely imo

No its not as significant, because of the TV Money which is massive. Becuase of the 72 teams below, an EPL jump is very very unlikely. This is why its not good for Celtic if Rangers go. It would be the same other way round

Best way to put it-they'd be royally screwed. Quite pathetic when fans want to see other clubs go under. Not real football fans in my eyes. I'll probably get slated, but I honestly don't care. Footballs in a dire enough state as it is (take a look at Darlington). I don't like seeing great historical clubs end up in this situation-regardless of who it is. It's always the good, hardworking people who have to suffer as well as the fans and people involved in the club.

I find that the attitude of the Celtic fans to be so bent by there hatred of Rangers they think they can survive happily without them. Now I appreciate that the old firm derby is as passionate and awesome because of the hatred between the fans, its a real derby but you guys are short sited if you think the SPL will survive without Rangers, sure it will, Will be any good at all? Nope.

One of the 2 usually run away with the league every season and the only competition of the team running away with it, is the opposite Old Firm team. If Celtics finances are as strong as you guys suggest, it means that no other team would be able to challenge you in SPL at all. Now you may find that fun for a few years, but eventually you will see less and less quality players joining the SPL, people outside of Scotland wont be interested in turning on the TV to watch Celtic trample everyone and the league in general will lose its TV deals and become worse and worse.

I have to agree with ajt09, you arent a real football fan when you happily watch your great rival fade into oblivion, the Old Firm has always been fascinating and I guarantee every Celtic fan will miss it if the unlikely event of Rangers being liquidated comes to fruition.

Status
Not open for further replies.