Rangers into liquidation before the season ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read the article on the first page, and the articles on other websites leading up to it- its not hypothetical, it could very much happen.
Maybe, but still. I guess 'Rangers' is in top 50 of World's biggest football brands. Investors wont let them disappear just like that. I just don't buy it.

If you read the article on the first page, and the articles on other websites leading up to it- its not hypothetical, it could very much happen.

Yes. I'm so mentally retarded, that I'm going to base my entire opinion on one article by the Daily Record...

Worst case scenario: Rangers go into liquidation.

There are at least 1000 scenarios that are more likely. Hence why it's hypothetical.

Maybe, but still. I guess 'Rangers' is in top 50 of World's biggest football brands. Investors wont let them disappear just like that. I just don't buy it.

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs- want their tax to be paid- Sir David Murray, wasn't paying taxes on any of the players Rangers bought in the 90's.

Yes. I'm so mentally retarded, that I'm going to base my entire opinion on one article by the Daily Record...

There are at least 1000 scenarios that are more likely. Hence why it's hypothetical.

One article? This isn't new, everyone has known about Rangers' tax problems for some time. This is just the first time it's been reported in mainstream media. Rangers going into liquidation is generally expected, there is no scenario more likely forget 1000.

I assumed that you've been following this from the summer, as I thought that everyone here had been following this from the summer- since they seem to be so sure of their opinions. The BBC has already made a documentary on Whyte; he's folded over 50 companies before this, and its pretty clear thats what he intends to do to Rangers FC. Numerous other articles and documents have been available on the internet- I just thought it was fitting that at last the penny has dropped in Scotland, and the DR has finally written about this, months after everyone else knew, so i decided to post it.

Last edited:
One article? This isn't new, everyone has known about Rangers' tax problems for some time. This is just the first time it's been reported in mainstream media. Rangers going into liquidation is generally expected, there is no scenario more likely forget 1000.

I know it isn't new.

This entire thing would have been avoided if the previous owners weren't completely incompetent. But, what makes it worse is that after 6 months of due diligence they end up with somebody even worse.

Liquidation was probably the wrong word for me to use, what I meant was; Rangers will never cease to exists, if they are liquidated, a new club will be founded and I just cannot see the SFA having the balls to relegate them, so really, nothing will change. Which is what I meant by my initial comment.

If a newco is founded, Whyte won't have to pay the £50M+ debt and will have just purchased one half of the old-firm for £1, even if they are Rangers AFC, now, nice. In theory it's a win-win scenario for him. But, with this all coming out, why would Rangers fans want him to be a part of any new club?

I honestly can't see it getting that far, though, especially now, but, I guess we will wait and see.

I know it isn't new.

This entire thing would have been avoided if the previous owners weren't completely incompetent. But, what makes it worse is that after 6 months of due diligence they end up with somebody even worse.

Liquidation was probably the wrong word for me to use, what I meant was; Rangers will never cease to exists, if they are liquidated, a new club will be founded and I just cannot see the SFA having the balls to relegate them, so really, nothing will change. Which is what I meant by my initial comment.

If a newco is founded, Whyte won't have to pay the £50M+ debt and will have just purchased one half of the old-firm for £1, even if they are Rangers AFC, now, nice. In theory it's a win-win scenario for him. But, with this all coming out, why would Rangers fans want him to be a part of any new club?

I honestly can't see it getting that far, though, especially now, but, I guess we will wait and see.

This entire thing would have been avoided if the previous owners didn't break the law by not paying taxes.

A number of SPL clubs, including Celtic, have agreed to vote against Rangers being accepted straight back into the SPL if a newco is formed, which means it isn't going to happen (These clubs would not have voted in this way if the SPL's future was dependant on the OF rivalry) They'll have to start in the lower leagues, with no money, and nowhere to play. David Murray (old owner) has been involved with Rangers again recently and there has been speculation over who would start a newco Rangers if they did go under - Whyte or Murray? If both did, which would be accepted as THE Rangers? Either way the original Rangers will be dead, finished. It will be a completely new club, starting from nothing.

Last edited:
I know it isn't new.

Thats fair enough mate. I think if Whyte sells the assets of rangers like Ibrox and Murryfield park, then since hes the sole creditor, he gets the money, and I'm not sure but I think he might be free to walk away with it. He dosent have to pay the debt, but I think rangers do, even if he leaves the club. Thats what the BBC documentary seemed to imply.

ok there have some people talking sense and others just plain old BS if Rangers do cease to exit (highly doubt it) Celtic wont be making any jumps to England and even deep down even you guys no it they will have to sell of there top asset's (players) as Sky will have legal loop hole allowing them to rip up there contract if they don't get there 4 Old Firm games a season and without the money they make from old firm games and television deals they will lose alot of there yearly income i'm not sure how much but it will be a good majority of there turnover.

On the sectarian issue Celtic are just as bad as Rangers enough said on that from me

And Rangers did nothing illegal when paying there players Tax Avoidance is perfectly legal and that's what we have been charged with just like Arsenal did and they were into it for much more than Rangers and only had to pay £10 Million back if it were Tax Evasion SDM would have been charged and not Rangers and he would be sitting in Bar L at this moment in time

and one final thing GET WHYTE OUT NOW!!!!!!!

On the sectarian issue Celtic are just as bad as Rangers enough said on that from me

Why would you say that? Celtic do not have any problem at all with sectarianism, Rangers do, how can we be as bad as you

Why would you say that? Celtic do not have any problem at all with sectarianism, Rangers do, how can we be as bad as you

Celtic have a lot of problems with sectarianism it's just your fans and club are to fickle to see it. I seem to remember against Aberdeen the massive banner the green brigade had about the poppy's and ridiculing Britain's war dead that was one of the worst things i've ever seen in my 23 years on this planet

Celtic have a lot of problems with sectarianism it's just your fans and club are to fickle to see it. I seem to remember against Aberdeen the massive banner the green brigade had about the poppy's and ridiculing Britain's war dead that was one of the worst things i've ever seen in my 23 years on this planet

I didn't agree with the banner, but it was a protest against wars in Ireland/Iraq/Afghanistan. It was not a banner ridiculing Britain's war dead. Either way it was not sectarian. Sectarianism is bigotry/hatred based on religion.

for people sayin celtic dont need rangers in my opinion both clubs need each other. some players also move to old firm clubs to play in the old firm derby because of passion of that game but without one of the clubs yes celtic will win everything without rangers and it will get **** after a few years and wiv no disrespect to the other spl clubs who will want to go to the spl without rangers or celtic.all the other clubs rely on rangers celtic for away suuport partly if it wasent for them there grounds would be empty. and for the ones just blaming rangers for the bad as somebody said before it takes two to tango and is very unfair to just put the blame on rangers fans!!!

ok there have some people talking sense and others just plain old BS if Rangers do cease to exit (highly doubt it) Celtic wont be making any jumps to England and even deep down even you guys no it they will have to sell of there top asset's (players) as Sky will have legal loop hole allowing them to rip up there contract if they don't get there 4 Old Firm games a season and without the money they make from old firm games and television deals they will lose alot of there yearly income i'm not sure how much but it will be a good majority of there turnover.

Once again, absolute rubbish.

When was the last time Celtic got done for sectarianism and shouting bigoted remarks? You lot got done last year against PSV in BOTH games and did your then chairman condemn it? No. Did he vow to try and stamp it out? No. He pretty much deflected blame and put out a "who told on us" mentality. For the last 6 years alone Rangers have been punished by UEFA when playing in Europe for causing trouble/singing sectarian songs.

It should happen in Scotland as well but the SFA are spineless when it comes to those issues as the CIS Cup Final last year proved. After the Rangers goals, 1000s of Rangers supporters were clearly heard singing/chanting songs like "No Pope Of Rome" and telling Celtic fans to "go home - the famine's over." What song did Celtic belt out when Ledley scored? Just Can't Get Enough. Even journalists like Graeme Spears heard and reported on it but what did the SFA do? Simply that - sweet FA!

Also, whose club had a "No Catholic" signing policy instilled into the club which was made public knowledge by a former player, Ralph Brand, back in the '60s? Even the then chairman Matt Taylor said "[regarding the No Catholic signing policy] is part of our tradition....we were formed in 1873 as a Protestant boys club." Fans of Rangers even booed & jeered during a minute's silence for JFK in 1963 purely because he was a Catholic.

Just as bad my ****!

And Rangers did nothing illegal when paying there players Tax Avoidance is perfectly legal and that's what we have been charged with just like Arsenal did and they were into it for much more than Rangers and only had to pay £10 Million back if it were Tax Evasion SDM would have been charged and not Rangers and he would be sitting in Bar L at this moment in time

and one final thing GET WHYTE OUT NOW!!!!!!!

Rangers did nothing illegal??!! Have you been READING about what has been happening or is your head buried in the sand like a lot of other Rangers fans who think that fans should "get behind Craig Whyte. He'll come good in the end"?

This article explains it a lot better than I ever could and explains that what Rangers were doing with the EBT scheme WAS illegal.

What is Rangers’ tax case all about? « Rangers Tax Case

Germany being the highest attendances due to ticket pricing shows that it's not all about quality, as Spain/England/Italy are regarded to be better leagues. Nobody is interested in watching Celtic & Rangers win anything and the SPL is declining. The only way the SPL will change is if Celtic/Rangers aren't winning everything over and over, which will happen when Rangers die and Celtic leave.

As it stands, with Celtic & Rangers in the SPL, there is no realistic potential for the league to grow. Without them, although it would be tough at first, it is at least a possibility.

Germany also has 20 times the population of Scotland. Germany is also ranked as the 3rd best league in the world. Germany has numerous world class players at numerous teams. And unless you're familiar with the economics of German football, you can't claim they only fill out because of low ticket prices. It's perfectly reasonable that clubs subsidise ticket prices for fan relations.

How the **** do you expect the league to grow without any money? There's no realistic potential to grow when you only have domestic TV deals.

This was NOT sectarian as AM67 said and a LOT of Celtic fans didn't agree with the banner but it definitely wasn't ridiculing the British war dead at all.

The message behind the banner was purely because the poppy unofficially represents the British Army and commemorates all British soldiers who have died in wars since WWI - including those fallen during the War of Independence between 1919 - 1921 against the Irish. With Celtic having extremely strong Irish roots (and of course being founded by Irish) a lot of people take offence to the poppy because to them it's as if it is showing support for the actions of the British Army. Basically it would be like the Scottish people who are for Independence showing support & commemorating the fallen English soldiers during such battles as Culloden, Stirling, Bannockburn, and Falkirk.

If you had strong political beliefs similar to this and were opposed to the actions of an army who fought against your people and ancestors would you go against them just because society deems it that way?

If people want to wear the poppy to show a sign of support and remember the British army's fallen then so be it but the SAME respect should be given to those who choose NOT to support wearing the poppy due to THEIR beliefs. If certain people ARE opposed to others NOT wearing the poppy due to their political beliefs then this is strewed as prejudice, so which is worse? People showing support on WHY they don't wear the poppy or people FORCING them to wear it because it's deemed as more socially acceptable?

Last edited:
Once again, absolute rubbish.

When was the last time Celtic got done for sectarianism and shouting bigoted remarks? You lot got done last year against PSV in BOTH games and did your then chairman condemn it? No. Did he vow to try and stamp it out? No. He pretty much deflected blame and put out a "who told on us" mentality. For the last 6 years alone Rangers have been punished by UEFA when playing in Europe for causing trouble/singing sectarian songs.

It should happen in Scotland as well but the SFA are spineless when it comes to those issues as the CIS Cup Final last year proved. After the Rangers goals, 1000s of Rangers supporters were clearly heard singing/chanting songs like "No Pope Of Rome" and telling Celtic fans to "go home - the famine's over." What song did Celtic belt out when Ledley scored? Just Can't Get Enough. Even journalists like Graeme Spears heard and reported on it but what did the SFA do? Simply that - sweet FA!

Also, whose club had a "No Catholic" signing policy instilled into the club which was made public knowledge by a former player, Ralph Brand, back in the '60s? Even the then chairman Matt Taylor said "[regarding the No Catholic signing policy] is part of our tradition....we were formed in 1873 as a Protestant boys club." Fans of Rangers even booed & jeered during a minute's silence for JFK in 1963 purely because he was a Catholic.

Just as bad my ****!
Tax Case[/url]

Just the other week a Celtic fan was caught with ‘Ha Ha 66’ on the back of his shirt. Disgusting!

Nacho Novo received death threats and had guards to protect him in his home. I was actually at Celtic Park and could hear them singing a song about killing him :\

We could argue over ‘who did what’ all ****** day.

It's about time all Celtic and Rangers fans all ****** grew up. We are not in the dark ages anymore. We have Celtic fans moaning about the hatred of Rangers fans and then vice versa. It is like my dad is bigger than your dad. Football is about football and not religious beliefs. Too many thick headed fans to see beyond that.

And yeah Celtic fans really are angels in their own eyes. Just as bad as the Rangers fans.

http://sweepingsince1888.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
It's about time all Celtic and Rangers fans all ****** grew up. We are not in the dark ages anymore. We have Celtic fans moaning about the hatred of Rangers fans and then vice versa. It is like my dad is bigger than your dad. Football is about football and not religious beliefs. Too many thick headed fans to see beyond that.

Which is why I hate religion with a passion. No place for it in sport. If people want to believe in that fair enough. But just damwell wish it was kept outside of football. It's just incredibly pathetic and absolutely pointless.

Just the other week a Celtic fan was caught with ‘Ha Ha 66’ on the back of his shirt. Disgusting!

I don't support things like this and people like that - whoever they are - are scum and are not fans. Bottom line. In saying that though one "fan" doesn't equal 1000s of others chanting/singing towards a manager about "what's it like to live in fear" and showing support to an idiot who attacked the same manager by wearing MASKS of the offender.

So again to say that Celtic fans are the same as Rangers is off the mark because if you base the incident regarding one moron against 1000s of the opposing fans then we may as well say that football fans from ALL teams are just the same as each other.

Nacho Novo received death threats and had guards to protect him in his home. I was actually at Celtic Park and could hear them singing a song about killing him :\

We could argue over ‘who did what’ all ****** day.

Neil Lennon, Paddy McCourt, Niall McGinn all received death threats last year alone and Joe Ledley was attacked when on a night out with his dad last September as well.

ANYONE who does things against a player/manager for purely just trying to do their job is an a***hole no matter what team they "support".

Status
Not open for further replies.