picture.php

170px-Rangers_FC.svg.png
200px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.png

Kick Off: 19:45 GMT
Venue: Ibrox, Glasgow
TV: ITV1
Streams: Will post when available

Team News:

Manchester United travel the short distance across the UK to take on Scottish champions Rangers on Matchday 5 of the UEFA Champions League.

United will travel to Glasgow without first choice centre backs Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand after boss Sir Alex Ferguson decided to rest them. Rising star Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans are set to deputise at the back. Wayne Rooney looks set to start up front for the first time in 2 months, since the controversial week which started with him confirming his wish to leave Old Trafford and ending in him signing a new 5 year contract. Ryan Giggs and Dimitar Berbatov also return to the squad after missing out on the weekend win against Wigan. Darren Fletcher has also not travelled to his homeland as Ferguson looks to rest players ahead of Blackburn's weekend visit. Manchester United need just 1 point to qualify for the knockout rounds, whereas Rangers must win.

Rangers striker Kyle Lafferty will miss the Champions League match with Manchester United after breaking a bone in his hand in an accident. Sasa Papac will face a late fitness test as he recovers from concussion. Madjid Bougherra, Andy Webster, midfielder Maurice Edu James Beattie and Nikica Jelavic are all missing for the Glaswegian side.

Prediction

I think Wayne Rooney will hit form tonight. Not sure why, but got a feeling. 2 goals for him and another Nani goal for the season will see us through to the knock out stages comfortably.

Rangers 0-3 Manchester United
Rooney x2
Nani

Your thoughts?

Manchester United Line-Up:

Van Der Sar
O'Shea Smalling Evans Fabio
Nani Scholes Carrick Giggs
Rooney Berbatov

Rangers Line-Up:

McGregor
Foster Broadfoot Weir Whittaker
McCulloch Naismith Hutton Davis Weiss
Miller

Last edited:
Hoping for a gers win but Utd have been ruthless away from home in the CL this season so i think Utd will win 2-1

Cant wait United 2-0

Hoping for a gers win but Utd have been ruthless away from home in the CL this season so i think Utd will win 2-1

I also forgot to mention. Manchester United are the only team to have not conceded a goal in this years competition ;)

2-1 united, rangers have to come and play since they need 2 wins to be sure of going through, and at the very least 4 points with results going their way, and an open game will suit us

going for a nervy 1-0 win for United, Rangers too attack throughout the game but Javier Hernandez to set up and score the winner to mantain United's unbeaten run in all competitions and moves us a game closer to another UEFA Champions League record.

I don't think we will. Even without Vidic and Rio their understudies are experienced (Evans), and in good form (Smalling) surrounded by the experience of Evra, Scholes, Carrick and Van Der Sar I think we can get another clean sheet.

Nobody has ever gone the entire group stage without conceding, so hoping we can be the first :)

This is just a walk in the park for Man U. 4-0 Man U - Rooney (3), Scholes

Going for a United 2-0 win. But i was thinking, if Rooney doesn't score, maybe SAF should play him in the reserves for a few games, get his goal scoring ability back. Just a thought.

Hoping the gers can cause an upset although united away form makes this look like its going to be a breeze i think its going to be a tight affair as rangers need to go all out as they need a win i say 1-1 if not a draw a narrow 2-1 for united

2-1 united, rangers have to come and play since they need 2 wins to be sure of going through, and at the very least 4 points with results going their way, and an open game will suit us

Rangers will not come at United attacking, even if this was the last game in the group and we needed three points our gameplan would still be the same which will be sit back and defend and frustrate united and any chance we get to try take them. Personally I Beleive United will win 2-0 I support both teams but my Rangers become first choice of course and i'm hoping we can pull something off and i'd be happy with another draw and fingers crossed Bursaspor will do something for us and eventually score.

Rangers will not come at United attacking, even if this was the last game in the group and we needed three points our gameplan would still be the same which will be sit back and defend and frustrate united and any chance we get to try take them. Personally I Beleive United will win 2-0 I support both teams but my Rangers become first choice of course and i'm hoping we can pull something off and i'd be happy with another draw and fingers crossed Bursaspor will do something for us and eventually score.

So you think Walter Smith is going to be rather negative despite our defence being weakened and you needing the win? Interesting..

1-0 Rangers. we'll soak up the pressure & score on the break

Walter Smith:wub: