SotK

hates injury crises.
Reaction score
I got FM 10 for Christmas, and decided that since I enjoyed my career as Reading on 09, I would try it on FM 10. I also decided to make a story thread for it. I hope to achieve promotion to the EPL in my first season, and then to consolidate my position in the league for a few years, and hopefully be challenging for European places in about 5 years time.

I immediatly found that this was going to be more challenging that in FM 09, since the team has far less quality in it to begin with, and the transfer budget is very small. I would have liked to simply tell the board I wanted to finish in the top half after taking a good look at the team etc, but the minimum available was promotion.

I moved to strengthen the team overall in the transfer window, and so far have signed Sol Campbell on a free, David N'Gog on loan from Liverpool and Ivan Bandalovski from Loko (Sofia) for £80K.

I had a good pre-season, scoring at least 4 goals in all but one match, although they were all far weaker teams than myself. Thanks to this, we went into the season full of confidence.

We started August well, but soon encountered a massive setback:

August Results:

CH: Reading 1 - 0 Nottingham Forest (Long 44):
I felt that this was a good result, and a decent way to start the season. We dominated the match, and deserved to win by more goals.

LC: Reading 4 - 0 Northampton (N'Gog 8, 30, Campbell 42, Kébé 61):
Another good result, I was very pleased by how many chances we created, although Northampton are 2 leagues below us so it was to be expected.

CH: Newcastle United 6 - 0 Reading (Carroll 9, 64, Ameobi 25, pen 40, 48, Jonas 80):
This was a shocking result, and an absolutely awful performance. We just didn't turn up at all. I was expecting a loss, but I thought we could have put up some kind of fight at least.

CH: Swansea 2 - 1 Reading (Dyer 45+4, Trundle 61, Mills 68):
Another bad result, although not as awful as the Newcastle shambles. I would have liked a point here, but we just didn't have enough quality to come back. When we pulled one back, I went all out for a point at least, but to no avail.

CH: Reading 6 - 1 Sheffield United (Howard 12, 33, Henry 40, 69, Rasiak 44, N'Gog 67, Treacy 74):
I was determined to turn around the run of defeats, and made a couple of changes to the starting lineup, including giving Brian Howard a first league start of the season. After that performance it won't be his last either. An early goal from him put us in a good position, but a lot of credit has to be given to Federici, who made some top quality saves before Howard put daylight between the sides with a fantastic volley from the edge of the area. After that we dominated and had the game won by half time. An absolutely fantastic win.

LC: Reading 2 - 3 Coventry (AET) (Rasiak 13, Kébé 69, Morrison 9, Gunnarsson 39, Cork 109):
We didn't actually play too badly here, but failed to get a result. That is a bad sign, and these things need to be got rid of as soon as possible. Federici saved a penalty, but it wasn't enough to stop us being put out of the League Cup by a side who are at best our equals.

CH: Barnsley 3 - 4 Reading (Hallfreosson 25, Bogdanovic 41, Campbell-Ryce pen 51, Matejovsky 2, Long 70, N'Gog 86, Kébé 90+2):
A great result in the end, after being 3 - 1 down and looking dead and buried. A good performance and a great way to come back from the Coventry defeat. I am concerned at the fact that we have given away 3 penalties so far this season already though.

Reading Player of the Month: Jimmy Kébé, he has come up with the goods every time he has needed to. It was a close decision between him and David N'Gog.

Reading Match of the Month: Barnsley 3 - 4 Reading - A great game of football and a fantastic comeback from my team. The best goal was definitely the goal for Barnsley by Bogdanovic, when he took on 3 players before smashing home from close range.

Reading Goal of the Month: Brian Howard's volley from the edge of the area after a brilliant cut back from James Henry against Sheffield United.

Last edited:
Looks promising. Unlucky with the Newcastle result touh...

Lost 6-0 against Newcastle? Blimey! Gonna follow this story because it looks interesting.

Screenshots?

And good luck :)

very inconsistent, take it from me thats bad, you must find consistency as its the key to promotion

LC: Reading 2 - 3 Coventry (AET) (Rasiak 13, Kébé 69, Morrison 9, Gunnarsson 39, Cork 109):
We didn't actually play too badly here, but failed to get a result. That is a bad sign, and these things need to be got rid of as soon as possible. Federici saved a penalty, but it wasn't enough to stop us being put out of the League Cup by a side who are at best our equals.

CH: Barnsley 3 - 4 Reading (Hallfreosson 25, Bogdanovic 41, Campbell-Ryce pen 51, Matejovsky 2, Long 70, N'Gog 86, Kébé 90+2):
A great result in the end, after being 3 - 1 down and looking dead and buried. A good performance and a great way to come back from the Coventry defeat. I am concerned at the fact that we have given away 3 penalties so far this season already though.

Reading Player of the Month: Jimmy Kébé, he has come up with the goods every time he has needed to. It was a close decision between him and David N'Gog.

Reading Match of the Month: Barnsley 3 - 4 Reading - A great game of football and a fantastic comeback from my team. The best goal was definitely the goal for Barnsley by Bogdanovic, when he took on 3 players before smashing home from close range.

Reading Goal of the Month: Brian Howard's volley from the edge of the area after a brilliant cut back from James Henry against Sheffield United.

I'll add screenshots tomorrow, I'm off for sleep now.

Good luck mate. Unlucky about the Newcastle result but what can you expect against such a great team? :D

good luck mate il be following like someone has said you need 2 get consistent results

Thanks for all the positive comments :)

September Results:

CH: Reading 2 - 2 Doncaster (Karacan 32, Kébé 79, Hefferman 57, Sharp 90):

First draw of the season, and not a particularly good team to draw against. I am disappointed that we gave away a last minute winner through some awful defending, but pleased that we have started to take chances.

CH: Reading 2 - 2 Cardiff (Gerrard og 19, Long 25, Chopra 45+1, 61):

Second draw on the bounce at home, and although we have been more consistent recently, we've started failing to win games. However, Cardiff have been early pace-setters and so I am not too disappointed with this result, except that we threw away a 2 goal lead.

CH: Peterborough 0 - 2 Reading (N'Gog 23, Tabb 90+1):

Back to winning ways with a comfortable win away at Peterborough. Once we went one up, they didn't really threaten us but we switched off as well, leaving the match to just fizzle out. We finally got a deserved second in stoppage time at the end.

CH: Reading 1 - 1 Watford (Long 44, Ellington 22):

Yet another draw at home. We played quite well, but were once again annoyingly wasteful in front of goal.

CH: Preston 2 - 2 Reading (N'Gog 71, 79, Parkin 17, Mellor 48):

Despite this being a pretty poor result since I was expected to win, I am pleased with the character of the players to come back from two down. One up side is that this draw means that we are unbeaten in September.

Reading Player of the Month: David N'Gog, he has been pretty clinical in front of goal, and hasn't really had a bad game all month.

Reading Match of the Month: Despite the temptation to go for my only win, I have to say Preston 2 - 2 Reading. It was fantastic coming back from two goals behind to dominate the last 20 minutes and perhaps deserve more than just a point.

Reading Goal of the Month: Jem Karacan in the Doncaster game, a great goal from about 20 yards.

Most Improved Player: Gylfi Sigurdsson
View attachment 21895

October Results:

With the pressure apparently mounting on me to get some good results, I needed a good month. I got one.

CH: Reading 1 - 1 Middlesborough (Long pen 4, Arca pen 68):
Not the worst result possible, but since Middlesborough are struggling I would have preferred all three points.

CH: West Brom 0 - 2 Reading (Karacan 3, N'Gog 14):
Great result. After all the draws I had been getting I was quite low in the table, and before the match the papers said that I had just this match to save my job. I changed my formation from a 4-2-4/4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1, partly because of the Newcastle result (away at a top team) and partly on the advice of my backroom staff. It worked wonders and we dominated. When we went ahead we were never really threatened.

CH: QPR 0 - 1 Reading (Matejovsky 68):
Another good result, although we made hard work of it. Although once again we were never really threatened, we were not very clinical in front of goal.

CH: Reading 3 - 0 Leicester(N'Gog 28, 39, Karacan 52):
A comfortable win, we did what was expected of us. I used the 4-2-3-1 in this match as well after the two previous successes with it. We finally look clinical in front of goal.

CH: Coventry 0 - 3 Reading (Matejovsky 23, Karacan 65, Cissé 72):
A great way to get revenge for the cup disappointment at the hands of Coventry. This left us unbeaten in 12, and the form team in the league. Once again we were clinical, and the range of people scoring goals has left me pleased.

Reading Player of the Month: Undoubtedly Jem Karacan, he has run the midfield in all 5 games this month and scored 3 goals as well. A great contribution.

Reading Match of the Month: West Brom 0 - 2 Reading - This result probably kept me in a job, and was the catalyst for the run of wins we have had this month.

Reading Goal of the Month: Marek Matejovsky's 20 yard piledriver into the top corner against Coventry, a great way to open the scoring.

Most Improved Player: Oliver Bozanic
View attachment 22150

League Table:
View attachment 22151

Manager of the Month :D
View attachment 22152

Jem Karacan also was awarded Young Player of the Month.

Summary

Overall, I am very pleased with how this month went. We have started stringing results together, kept up our unbeaten run and only conceded one goal. I was awarded Manager of the Month, but this normally turns out to be a curse for me and often leads to a bad month next. Hopefully this won't be the case since we are catching the leaders in the league if we keep our current form up.

November Results:

CH: Reading 0 - 0 Ipswich:
Not the end of the world, given how Ipswich have been playing, but I would have preferred a win.

CH: Reading 2 - 1 Blackpool (Cissé 9, Matejovsky 52, Bouazza pen 87):
Good result, we did what was expected of us here although I would have preferred a clean sheet.

CH: Derby 2 - 1 Reading (Hendrie 9, Teale 27,McAnuff 22):
Disappointing result, and a poor end to the month. We had quite a few chances, but our finishing was awful.

Reading Player of the Month: Marek Matejovsky, pretty much the only standout performer this month.

Reading Match of the Month: I have to go with the only win of the month, Reading 2 - 1 Blackpool simply because we got the three points.

League Table:
View attachment 22825

Last edited:
Well done your in the promotion zone, that's good considering Reading's transfer budget is not a lot really.

Thanks again to all those following and leaving feedback :) .

December Results:

I played through December a few days ago so forgive the lack of detail.

CH: Sheffield Wednesday 0 - 2 Reading (N'Gog 47, Howard 82):
Good result, glad to bounce back immediately from the match against Derby. N'Gog ended his goal drought here too.

CH: Reading 3 - 0 Crystal Palace (Armstrong pen 41, N'Gog 70, McAnuff 73):
A really good performance, and tasted especially nice after Neil Warnock stated before the match he intended to dent our promotion chances.

CH: Reading 1 - 2 Scunthorpe (Long 73, Morris 18, Hayes 53):
Disappointing to lose a match that we should have been winning, especially after our last two performances. We were quite poor.

CH: Bristol City 1 - 1 Reading (Elliott 25, Campbell 39):
Not a bad result, far better than the defeat to Scunthorpe. I think we did quite well considering we played with 10 men from the 14th minute.

CH: Reading 1 - 0 Swansea (N'Gog 3):
Solid performance, we were never really threatened and did what was needed of us. I would have preferred more goals but it wasn't to be.

CH: Plymouth 0 - 2 Reading (Howard pen 35, pen 70):
I am pleased with the victory, but disappointed that it took two penalties to score in this match. However, we dominated and had a goal ruled out near the end. All in all a good way to round off the month (a lot better than Reading did IRL :D ).

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 06:51 PM ----------

I'm sorry to report that this story won't carry on until I can get FM to actually run again. I am pretty gutted about this, and since I had this problem not long before Christmas on FM09 I'm guessing I have a program clash somewhere. Here is a description of my problem:

No matter which way I try, the game won't load. I have using the steam shortcut, tried opening steam and clicking launch with fm selected, tried finding the exe file in my steam directory and attempting to run that. No matter what I do, nothing happens visibly. I am running the game off an external hard drive through a USB port, but it has always worked in the past and the problem has only developed in the past few days.

Although nothing seems to happen, when I open task manager and look in the processes tab it says that fm.exe is running, and using up a good amount of memory as well. However, when I look in the applications tab fm is not shown in there.

Has anyone else encountered this problem before? Does anyone have a fix to this problem?