Real life managers using Football Manager

mccollio09

Reaction score
Apologies if a similar thread has been done, found nothing in the search, if a Mod says otherwise please point me in the right direction.

Anyone got/ heard anything about managers in real life using Football Manager/ any other management sim to sign players in real life? I heard a rumour a few years back that Elano was picked up for Man City by Sven due to something along those lines, anyone else heard anything about this?

People might think it's daft, but to be honest the FM scouts more often than not get it right than they do wrong with unknown players.

I know Everton use FM before the release date due to SI being really accurate with their scouting.

I think Rovers once signed a player due to his stats on CM/FM - have to check on that though!

I know Everton use FM before the release date due to SI being really accurate with their scouting.

I think Rovers once signed a player due to his stats on CM/FM - have to check on that though!

Bet Everton weren't too happy all them years ago when they signed Bakayoko!

It's all bullshit rumor most likely spread by SI publicity people. No chance has Everton or any club/Manager worth it's salt scouts a player through a computer game without seeing them in the flesh for a couple of months.

No chance sven bought Elano through seeing him on FM... "Hey look, this guy's got 17 technique, 18 creativity and 20 passing, He must be great in reality" LOL... Just doesn't happen i'm affraid.

Someone told me that Wenger said he uses FM for scouting players.

If they do and I worked for SI I would put myself in the game with amazing stats and sit back and wait for the phone calls, could be the new Ali Dia XD

Sven bought Elano on DVD evidence.

I always thought he was quite good at City.

I'm not saying managers would buy players PURELY off FM, that would just be stupid. But it wouldn't surprise me if they may use FM as a tool,

eg. take a quick peek at Yaya Sanogo and think wow, I'll ring up my scout in France and ask him to check him out whilst he's there.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Sven bought Elano on DVD evidence.

I always thought he was quite good at City.

They probably shouldn't have sold him, he seemed to be a very streaky player though, didn't like the cold, always did well in the hotter months. I was speaking to a City fan when he got sold, and he was like, how can a player be good enough for Brazil but not good enough for us.

I dont think blackburn signed a player by looking at FM. we did sign Carlos Villanueva off DVD and youtube and then scouts lol.

I'm not saying managers would buy players PURELY off FM, that would just be stupid. But it wouldn't surprise me if they may use FM as a tool,

eg. take a quick peek at Yaya Sanogo and think wow, I'll ring up my scout in France and ask him to check him out whilst he's there.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

They probably shouldn't have sold him, he seemed to be a very streaky player though, didn't like the cold, always did well in the hotter months. I was speaking to a City fan when he got sold, and he was like, how can a player be good enough for Brazil but not good enough for us.

No chance mate. It just doesn't happen.

As for Elano, He was the most mardy **** child to ever play for City. He had a range of passing and the vision to rival anybody, But he just wasn't interested unless he felt like he was the main man. I wasn't upset when he left because his attitude was appalling. Worse than Robinho

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

I was thinking about that too, and that won't be a bad idea for managers :) :)

Article from a few years back about everton and the football manager 2009 database

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/football-manager-2009-breaking-ground-everton-216437

i dare any of you to go back to championship manager 4 and see how good ronaldo, rooney and messi are rated

if i was a manager i would definetly use the database, who turned on their game last year and was like "who the **** is this romelu lukaku kid..wow he's -10" and now hes the most sought after property in european football.. sometimes the current abilities can be a bit off but 9 times out of 10 there spot on..

A bit of googling here and there reveals there is or atleast has been some kind of a deal between Everton and SI. There's no harm using SI's 1000 scouts for free (basically) now is there? I'd figure there are lots of tools to find and define young players' ability in the scouting business, so why couldn't FM be used as one of them?

Everton do use the Football Manager database. It has been mentioned plenty of times by Miles Jacobson the Studio Director at Sports Interactive.

There are other clubs too but the names escape my mind.

It's all bullshit rumor most likely spread by SI publicity people. No chance has Everton or any club/Manager worth it's salt scouts a player through a computer game without seeing them in the flesh for a couple of months.

No chance sven bought Elano through seeing him on FM... "Hey look, this guy's got 17 technique, 18 creativity and 20 passing, He must be great in reality" LOL... Just doesn't happen i'm affraid.

Of course they wouldn't base it entirely on FM, that would be stupid. Perhaps they find the player on FM then scout him personally to see if he really is worth it.

Wow! Cheers guy, nice to see some hard evidence to back my suspicions up!