Real Madrid concede six in defeat

Kris

Reaction score
Real Madrid suffered an embarrassing 6-1 defeat at the hands of Real Zaragoza in the first leg of their Copa del Rey semi-final.
Diego Milito scored four goals for Zaragoza, including a first-half hat-trick, to stun the Spanish giants.

It was the Madrid side's heaviest loss since their 6-0 defeat to Valencia in a cup semi-final in 1999.

The Primera Liga also appears to be out of Real's grasp with rivals Barcelona 10 points ahead in the title race.

The Real Madrid team featured Ronaldo, Julio Baptista, Roberto Carlos and England captain David Beckham, who has yet to win a trophy since signing for the Bernabeu side in 2003.

:eek: Just when you think they pick up they do stuff like this. I dont know if they will ever be the same unless they get Hiddink or some1 like that instead of the Luxembergo's

Kris said:
Real Madrid suffered an embarrassing 6-1 defeat at the hands of Real Zaragoza in the first leg of their Copa del Rey semi-final.
Diego Milito scored four goals for Zaragoza, including a first-half hat-trick, to stun the Spanish giants.

It was the Madrid side's heaviest loss since their 6-0 defeat to Valencia in a cup semi-final in 1999.

The Primera Liga also appears to be out of Real's grasp with rivals Barcelona 10 points ahead in the title race.

The Real Madrid team featured Ronaldo, Julio Baptista, Roberto Carlos and England captain David Beckham, who has yet to win a trophy since signing for the Bernabeu side in 2003.

:eek: Just when you think they pick up they do stuff like this. I dont know if they will ever be the same unless they get Hiddink or some1 like that instead of the Luxembergo's

It's the managers fault for rotating the defence when it was beginning to settle, Helguera and Salgado were poor and he should of let Woody and Cicinho start. Bringing Pavon on who isn't up to the job wasn't the best move either and Carlos needs a kick up the ****, he should be dropped because he has been poor for most of the season. Not to take anything away from Zaragoza as they played out their skin and Ewerthon's last goal was a beauty.

Cincinho and beckham have a great partnership and woody has make the defence pretty good recently so they should never have been dropped. I know Baptista scored but he has been seriously pish for a while now and needs a couple of games dropped for the manager to try and change things and the break from games could get his form from his last two seasons back. As the saying goes for the defence, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I was totally shocked about this result, most of Zaragoza's goals were good though, especially the last two from Ewerthon. Real coach probably didnt want Cicinho playing because from what I've heard off Revista De La Liga is that Cicinho goes upfield too much so Beckham ends up having to go at right back and cover him.

Isnt Diego Milito a central defender? If thats right then how the **** did he score 4??!!

No its his brother or something like that, Theres a Defender and Striker Milito.

Oh ok cheers mate. Only ever found the defender. Explains how he got 4.....

Yes, I Was :S about that as well. Id say more, but i dontwatch them, bu gawd they do need to buy some defenders...I heard their getting Cassano, thats stupid on both parties side. WHy would CAssie want to go to a side choco-block with strikers, and why do real need another striker wit lots there and a poor defense : S.

The defence is respectable when woody plays cos he keeps them organised. Ramos has improved recently, he hasnt been trying to play the ball out all the time hes learned to hoof the ball of needed. They just need a greater depth to their defense. their back-ups are pretty useless, Pavon for example he is just not good enough.

Lloyd said:
I've heard off Revista De La Liga is that Cicinho goes upfield too much so Beckham ends up having to go at right back and cover him.

Very true, but you should expect this when you play a full back that has been retrained from a winger. He's been warned by the coach but that wont make a difference, it's his mentality to go forward and he'll keep doing it no matter what the coach says.

Was a very entertaining game and contained alot of attacking football. Kind of reminded me of the Quarter final first leg between Zaragoza and Barcelona where Barcelona continually played with their backline pushing far up, often as far as the halfway line, and Ewerthon was skinning them alive and they where lucky not to conceed 5 or 6 aswell. Real Madrid didn't push the defence as far up but they left huge gaps in behind, once they were three down though you can't blame them for conceeding another three because Real Madrid desperately needed a goal and the only way to score is by playing attacking football which left them exposed at the back and Ewerthon was just driving the Real Madrid defence all over the place.

Real Madrids defending was very poor and they could of easily lost 9-1, two efforts off the woodwork and a world class save from cassilas prevented that from happening. All in all I'm glad I never watched boring boring Chelsea play against boring boring Everton.

Lloyd, about cicinho and beckham cicinho does attack but beckham provides good covering because he has a good tackle on him now.

They may be OK about it now, but i know against Celta the other week Beckham was annoyed with Cicinho, might not be the case now.

clackerbag said:
Lloyd, about cicinho and beckham cicinho does attack but beckham provides good covering because he has a good tackle on him now.

He maybe does cover well but it doesn't mean he wants to. He spoke about the problem with the coach and Cicinho's been warned. I doubt Beckham will ever be OK about it, would you if you were given a job to do by the coach and another player was doing it for you at every opportunity? It would make you seem lazy or incapeable.

^^^^^^^^ What the ****??

Erm...in the second leg they've played 25 mins and Madrid are 3-0 up...they need two more goals...

Last edited:
If Real get through this it has to be the best comeback ever, or definetly up there.

Finished 4-0, good effort from Real Madrid though. If only they never played so badly in the first leg.

Madrid have been stuck on a block of bad form for an age now, back as far as I can remember. Sure, once upon a time they were this fantastic dominant force upon the world of football, they had star players eating out their ears and were a behold to watch but that time has passed my friends.

Personally, I’d say that the problems originate from the signing of Ronaldo. Madrid’s game was to buy a superstar player (otherwise known as a Galactico) and each and every season it worked, it had worked terrifically, with players such as Roberto Carlos, Luis Figo and Zinedine Zidane, who would be to argue? Only, Ronaldo was a mistake in that he wasn’t needed. They bought him because they could and yet there was absolutely no need. Raul and Fernando Morientes, both native Spaniards, were the makings of a perfect partnership, banging in the goals season after season, both young with plenty of room for improvement. But… Ronaldo was still bought in, a proven player at both international and club stage, sure, he was a Galactico by all means but they didn’t need him. Why fix it, when it a’int broke is the perfect way to describe what happened here I feel.

Ronaldo didn’t do as well as anticipated and whilst he became very much a decent player, he was never looked at in the same way that he was during younger and better years. There you have it, one mistake and the system goes to pot. What Madrid should’ve done was bring in a central defender at that time, one of the world’s best, going for someone with youth on his side. The strike force was fine as it were but Ronaldo was the mistake that cost them their dominance on the game, from a personnel viewpoint at least.

Then again, they were always due to **** up the formula somewhere down the line.