Real Madrid Deny Deliberate Reds

Matty

Reaction score
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_6524449,00.html

Im not sure if anyone watched this yesterday, or has seen it on SkySports today...

Yesterday Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos both got second yellow cards for stupid reasons, Ramos even shook the referees hand as he was walking off after his dismissal, as if they were deliberately trying to get sent off once 4-0 up to get themselves banned for the Auxerre game, which means absolutely nothing to them as the last group game, but totally frees them up for the knockout stages.

There is a lot of debate in spain over this, its all over the place, especially being Jose Mourinho probably being the person behind it. Although there was no famous note on a piece of paper.

I want to know what you think of this? Whether you think it is morally cheating? Or whether you think it is **** clever by Mr Mourinho and his tactics?

Or... whether you think it wasn't deliberate?

Definitely deliberate...why else would 2 players time waste when your 3/4-0 up

I think it was deliberate as they have qualified now and want to have all players available for the knockout. Its a shame but i dont think its illegal :(

I was thinking this yesterday, they were time wasting when they were 3-4 nil up??? It is the type of thing you can imagine Jose doing to be fair but if he gets away with it than fair play to him.

Superb tactics and no surprise that it was Jose behind it. It was street smart.

genious, they have to get away with it as it is the system

good idea, its happened it the past and it will happen again. im sure mourinho had a word with the players to do it and thats why is is a winner and everyone else is a whinger

It's ******* cheating, it's unacceptable IMO.

cheating means breaking the rules, so which rule did he break. please dont quote me about sportsmanship because this is based on opinion and not fact. as i said before mourinho is a winner, and win at all costs. I hope Mr Wenger was more like this

It's ******* cheating, it's unacceptable IMO.

It's only cheating in the same way as committing a cynical foul or deliberately giving away a freekick is. Surely if they take the punishment for their actions then nothing is wrong? At least they picked up their second yellow cards without causing any hurt to the opposition. Smart tactics, but slightly controversial.

cheating means breaking the rules, so which rule did he break.

They broke the rule about time wasting...

It's only cheating in the same way as committing a cynical foul or deliberately giving away a freekick is. Surely if they take the punishment for their actions then nothing is wrong? At least they picked up their second yellow cards without causing any hurt to the opposition. Smart tactics, but slightly controversial..

He didn't cheat on a technicality. You can't tell me he's still not manipulating the laws of the game.

It's cheating, but I can see why you'd do it. The EA should just erase card history (if you get what I mean) after group stages, because if they don't, the big teams will keep doing this once they have qualified and personally I wouldn't blame them.

Actually, it's not really cheating. It's similar to when a player brings down a player with a goal scoring chance.

EA loool, I meant FA, sorry

Last edited:
All this does is highten the sense of injustice in football these days. High time that some real punishment was handed out for this sort of thing. Hardly does UEFA's credibility much good. But knowing Platini it will be brushed under the carpet XD

It's pretty much impossible to say hes cheating or not because it's virtually impossible to prove whether the red cards were deliberate or not.

It's pretty much impossible to say hes cheating or not because it's virtually impossible to prove whether the red cards were deliberate or not.

Dudek ran out and told Casillas the plan. All of a sudden Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos waste an insane ammount of time taking a free kick. Ramos' took his in the 6 yard box for christ sake.

The Real assistant manager smiled at Ramos as he came off.

It's definitely deliberate.

Jose is a genius. You can say it is unsporting and all that but at the end of the day it is no different to diving or commiting a cynical foul. They accept their punishments and that is fair.

They could have been a bit more sly about it though.