Real Madrid Deny Deliberate Reds

Last edited:
Surely there's something illegal in this? If playing a weakened side is against the rules surely this is?

Uefa set to investigate Real Madrid duo for 'deliberate' red cards
• Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos could face Uefa action
• Pair appeared to get intentional red cards against Ajax

YouTube - Xabi Alonso & Sergio Ramos Epic Red Cards Against Ajax 23/11/2010

Uefa says it will study the match referee's report before deciding whether to charge Real Madrid players Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos for appearing to get intentional red cards in their Champions League match against Ajax.

Alonso and Ramos both collected second cautions for timewasting late in Real's 4-0 win at the Amsterdam Arena on Tuesday.

They will serve one-match suspensions in a meaningless final group match against Auxerre, then could start the knockout rounds in February with a clean disciplinary slate.

Uefa says its disciplinary unit will look at the incidents.

Dutch broadcaster NOS showed footage of Madrid coach José Mourinho speaking to Alonso on the sideline before he picked up his second yellow. However Mourinho later dismissed any suggestion he had instructed his players to seek deliberate punishments.

Mourinho said: "I spoke with many players throughout the game, not only with Ramos and Alonso.

"Stories sell, but the important thing is the 4-0 win and the fantastic game we had. Let's talk about that and not other things.

"The sendings-off came after an easy game where the referee has shown some strange yellows.

"They are cards that I don't like. It was an easy game to control. Ajax made a lot of fouls and in the first from Ramos he was shown a yellow card."

Mourinho admitted it did not matter that Alonso and Ramos would miss their final group game, but insisted he still wanted to beat Auxerre at the Bernabéu in December.

"The red cards we picked up don't matter hugely as we have already qualified ahead of the next game against Auxerre. If Ramos and Alonso can't play against Auxerre then there will be others, but we are not going to gift the game to the French. We want to win them all."

Slap em with a 3 game ban, just for the luls. That will teach them for getting deliberate red cards. :)

Surely there's something illegal in this? If playing a weakened side is against the rules surely this is?

Aah, I don't know how much you follow Spanish football, but in La Liga, complaining AGAINST a team playing a weakened side is what's illegal. Jose did it to Sporting Gijon because they played with 8 B teamers against Barcelona a month or so ago and got investigated by the Anti Violence committee. :|

He didn't cheat on a technicality. You can't tell me he's still not manipulating the laws of the game.

Of course he's manipulating the rules, but there's nothing against doing that. I don't like what he's done, but there's nothing to stop it and there shouldn't be.

I don't see the difference between these red cards and deliberate reds for handballing the ball on the line. Both are deliberate, both are deserved red cards. We can't change the rules just because we feel it's unsporting or cynical to do it.

It's smart. He shouldn't get punished for it. They were 4-0 up and the red cards didn't effect the end result. It's clever on their part.

UEFA are a mockery. First Eduardo's ban for diving when there were a thousand or so worse dives in recent memory and now they want to make an example out of another big club. Pathetic Platini. :| Recently, when Marseille were visiting Atletico Madrid, they started trouble in their stadium but the French moron stood up for Marseille ffs!

Of course he's manipulating the rules, but there's nothing against doing that. I don't like what he's done, but there's nothing to stop it and there shouldn't be.

I don't see the difference between these red cards and deliberate reds for handballing the ball on the line. Both are deliberate, both are deserved red cards. We can't change the rules just because we feel it's unsporting or cynical to do it.

But handballing on the line will get you a three match ban, as it's a straight red.

Moral of the story? Go ape **** crazy with yellows as much as you like in groups aslong as you can get back in time for the knockouts....

But handballing on the line will get you a three match ban, as it's a straight red.

Hmm fair dos, that was a poor example. But picking up 2 yellows for cynical fouls or diving wouldn't, so it's similar to that.

Hmm fair dos, that was a poor example. But picking up 2 yellows for cynical fouls or diving wouldn't, so it's similar to that.

Yus. Indeed it is.

I mean, it's not breaking any rules really, but it makes a bit of a mockery of the whole card/suspension system.

Im glad this has sparked up so much debate...

it is very much a divided opinion of whether it is cheating or not by the looks of things.
If they would have made them a little less obvious they may have been more acceptable.
I think you may have actually had to be blind not to realise what they were doing.

I just can't see how anything can be done about this incident when it isn't a part of the legislation...
unless they revise the rules for future use :s but what good is that really!

UEFA should change the **** card rule. Group stage yellow cards shouldn't be carried for knock out stages. Well done Jose.

LOL it's always a problem when Madrid do it? Do you folks go blind when your own teams(big 4, Barcelona, etc) do it?

And this:

YouTube - LFP Zaragosa vs Barcelona 23 10 2010 Red Card by Ponsio

is 100 times worse. :|

EDIT:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/gamecast?id=265549&cc=4716

"Marquez is booked for time wasting. How odd at 4-0!"

"Ah! Marquez was on a yellow card! Get that ban out of the way!"

Best comment so far.

You guys must have got the wrong end of the stick...This isn't a 'hate real madrid' thread :S Mourinho is the only one to blame and they are just following orders.

And what does that barcelona clip have to do with this XD But yeah Barcelona are the team I hate the most in the world, so we probably have something in common :p

Wow, they couldn't of been more sly going about it. Happens quite a lot in the top flight football though, just Alonso and Ramos made it very noticeable.

You guys must have got the wrong end of the stick...This isn't a 'hate real madrid' thread :S Mourinho is the only one to blame and they are just following orders.

And what does that barcelona clip have to do with this XD But yeah Barcelona are the team I hate the most in the world, so we probably have something in common :p

Now do we think that Mourinho could get fined and found accountable for these instances with the players being let off because they were under his instruction?

Or will UEFA be smart enough to realise that they will be hurting Jose enough if they stop his players from playing a further game or two?

Will be interesting to see what happens thats for sure!