Real midfielder De la Red retires due to heart problem

A really talented player who loved football, I really hope he does well and wish him all the best, hopefully he can become a better coach than player but then he will be something of a coach

A really, quality footballer, feel sorry for him, he will be a better coach

Really sad news. It's a pity that such a good footballer had to retire so early.

I wish him all the best about his health and his coaching career.

sad news i tought he was going to be one of the best players in the world in a about 6 years rated him very highly

Very sad news. But of course you cannot risk your life for the sake of the game. Who knows something like Miklos Feher might have happened to him

He's managing Real Madrid C now. That's good. But I'm not going to go on about how he was a great player - because he wasn't. It's very unfortunate and I wish him well, mind.

I actually thought it said Ritchie De Laet for a moment !

Gutted for him of course, good to see he's staying in football though :)

It was inevitable.

I was hoping that it would be resolved, and he would return but, it's unfortunate that he's had to retire. I very much liked him.

At least Real have retained him in their backroom staff, he now has a possibility of making a good coaching/managing career.

I'm not going to go on about how he was a great player - because he wasn't.
Well, that's your opinion, anyway.

Many many people though he was a really good midfielder with a huge future.

It had been rumoured all through summer, but no-one really knew if it was true or not. Have to disagree with Eds about him not being a great player. If you ever saw him play, you would agree with more games than he was getting, he could have forced his way into any side.