Recommended movies

Raikan007

Reaction score
I have been in the mood over the past few months to watch "non Hollywood", fantastic movies from different directors, writers, countries etc (as well as Hollywood movies to be honest) but not that same **** they produce..

the only very good movie I have seen before I started watching some movies I will mention below was Inception! I just watched the Avengers the other night and it was very good, fun and well made!

But I am looking for different movies, art movies, scary movies, anything that is good!

Movies I have seen so far: types of movies that I am requesting:

Let the right one in (direction was brilliant, great movie, spell binding)
Seven (yes I have never seen it til recently)
Pan's Labyrinth (fantastic movie)
Devils Backbone (was in Spanish unfortunately, it was Del Toro's first directing)
etc etc

Lee, I am asking mostly you as I know you are doing this thing that you watch like 500 movies or something..

any are welcome!

I have seen movies like Saving Private Ryan, Coach Carter, Man on Fire etc etc.. the usual ones of course..

Watched Eden Lake with the missus the other night. Horror/thriller movie with low budget and cast. Pretty good now if you ask me.

Also worth noting a few of these that iv watched in the past few weeks(I watch about 10 movies a week):
The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Invictus(youd like it being South African and all)
Airplane(great comedy)
The Grey
Contraband
Fear( a young Mark Wahlberg and Reese Witherspoon in a 90s thriller)
Gridiron Gang
Jumper(Sci Fi)

Plenty more iv watched lately but those were my favourites

hey Steve:

seen
seen
seen of course :p it was ok
(have not seen, would like to)
seen
(have it, not what I am after, heard its very violent towards abuse of women)
noted
seen
seen

I am looking for different movies, these are the "normal ones" you are supposed to watch if you know what I mean?

Lee, I am asking mostly you as I know you are doing this thing that you watch like 500 movies or something..

Ok well first off watch everything by Darren Aronofsky and Christopher Nolan.

Now I'll just list some films I've watched over the past year or so and think you might enjoy...

Brazil (Directors Cut)
Crash
Bug
Dead Presidents
The Devils (BFI remaster)
Mesrine: Killer Instinct (and if you like that... Mesrine: Public Enemy)
The Vanishing
High & Low
Headhunters
Paths of Glory
The Thing
Kill List
The Muppets
Cell 211
Django
Night on Earth
Tyrannosaur
Le Samouraï
Hard Boiled
Eastern Promises
Sorcerer
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Take Shelter
Tucker and Dale vs Evil
Shotgun Stories

thanks Lee :)

I have seen a few already, Crash was mad, Take Shelter, Dead Presidents, The Vanishing, Eastern Promises!

the rest will be on the list, thanks again mate! might give The Devil a skip, dont think the missus will approve of that :p

We need to talk about Kevin is a must, watched this last week and all though I found it a bit laborious to begin with at the end I thought its one of the best films I've watched all year.

Another favorite of mine from a few years back is Dear Wendy

And although its mainstream I would recommend Compliance

Ps watch Ted if you haven't already, the funniest comedy of the decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just watched a film called The tree of life, and if I had to sum it up in 3 words they would be compelling, confusing and pretentious, over 2 hours long and at the end your left thinking WTF, would I watch it again, yes I've got to if only to see if I can make sense of it the second time round.

I've just watched a film called The tree of life, and if I had to sum it up in 3 words they would be compelling, confusing and pretentious, over 2 hours long and at the end your left thinking WTF, would I watch it again, yes I've got to if only to see if I can make sense of it the second time round.

My only problem with that film is the bit with the...

******* Dinosaurs! Was really unnecessary.

...Other than that it was pretty decent. Not as good as Days of Heaven, Badlands, or The Thin Red Line though.

^^^^^

The Usual Suspects (1995) - Constantly amazed at how many people haven't seen this film when I've mentioned it, for me one of Kevin Spaceys best roles

The Pursuit of Happyness
(2006) - One of my favorites, though a more moving Will Smith film is Seven Pounds

There's Something About Mary
(1998) - Sooooo in LOVE with Cameron Diaz, yet a funnier film with Ben Stiller has got to be Zoolander (pride of place in my comedy DVD collection

Man on Fire (2004) - I've watched this countless times, another must see/own film. Saw another Dakota Fanning film last week called Hound dog, not as good as Man on fire but worth watching and also saw We Bought a Zoo with Ellie Fanning (Sister) and will be adding to my DVD collection very moving film.

Flags of Our Fathers (2006) - Good but not as good as We are Soldiers, one of the best war films I've seen.

Another film I watched this week is God Bless America, Strong, thought provoking and highly recommended.

My favourite film of all time has to be Training Day - watched it hundreds of times and could quite happily watch it every day if I had too - Denzel Washington deserved his Oscar for that - other peeps in it are Ethan Hawke, Snoop Dog, Dr. Dre, Macy Gray and Eva Mendes.

Other favourite films that I would recommend are -

The Ringer (Johnny Knoxville - tries to rig the special Olympics)
Shawshank Redemption
Usual Suspects
Braveheart (well I am Scottish)
Young Guns (1 and 2)

and from the little child in me - Cool Runnings, Disneys version of Robin Hood and any of the Herbie films!

I am not Scottish,but Braveheart is one of the best movies of all time :).And I could watch that movie a million times.

My number one favorite is The Godfather (1972) - IMDb.
I have read a book also.It is also excellent as the movie.

seen all of these except La Haine..

Not sure how Black Knight gets into that list though :p

Hahahah.Well they are not film for this list, but when I watched these movies,they made ​​me relax :).
La Haine is very good movie.I recommend you to watch.