Rising Transfer Prices

valencia's case is a small look at the state of la liga to be honest, outsude of the top 2

All of the teams outside of the top 2 make little profit (TV rights) and can spend hardly anything. The ones that did spend a lot in the 90's and 00's collapsed quickly (Real Sociedad) or are in dire straights today. Name me one club other than Barca or R. Madrid in La Liga that can spend big on players. The Prem has plenty more than two. Even Barca will have to stop, they are in a lot of debt and even had to start putting sponsors on their shirts this season. I bet we don't see much spending from them in the next few years. I think Real may have hit their ceiling too. There are plenty of teams in the Prem though with wealthy owners who can shell out as much as they need to.

people going on about carroll being more expensive than villa, valencia were in DIRE financial crisis, they needed money QUICK, rather than saying carroll is VERY over priced (although he is imo) why not say barcelona got one of the bargains of the decade.

yes transfer fees are over inflated and it can't stay like that, just like the wage demands of players. for the good of the game there has to be more than the FFP system. maybe a cap on fees and wages.

All of the teams outside of the top 2 make little profit (TV rights) and can spend hardly anything. The ones that did spend a lot in the 90's and 00's collapsed quickly (Real Sociedad) or are in dire straights today. Name me one club other than Barca or R. Madrid in La Liga that can spend big on players. The Prem has plenty more than two. Even Barca will have to stop, they are in a lot of debt and even had to start putting sponsors on their shirts this season. I bet we don't see much spending from them in the next few years. I think Real may have hit their ceiling too. There are plenty of teams in the Prem though with wealthy owners who can shell out as much as they need to.
then what's the problem with them spending? as long as its sustainable for the club in question.

And real have not hit their limit, the banks will back them till the cows come up. if there was ever a club that was "too big to fail" it would be them

TBH the only two clubs that spend big in England are Chelsea and City and this has only been quite recent compared to Barca and Real circa 2000 their spending started.
Liverpool only spent big this window was as Torres funded the transfers.
And Villa was a one off for a team that needs something big to happend.... you will not see Villa spending £24M any time soon.

I think there needs to be a price cap in the summer window, i.e. £30mill for every english club or something along those lines, and for the January window i reckon it should be used as a loan window only imo,

I think there needs to be a price cap in the summer window, i.e. £30mill for every english club or something along those lines, and for the January window i reckon it should be used as a loan window only imo,

Why only English clubs when you have Real £831 over the decade?

as long as clubs sell a big name player for many millions each year, then they can feel free to spend big as well. i dont think we will see a limit to the spending, cos players are going for more and more money, so even with the fair play rules, as long as you sell a guy for 70 million, you can spank 70mil on someone else, and the money goes round. like ajax/necastle have 23/35 mil to spend now respectively, even if the transfer rules were in place. and they can spread the costs over 5 years to bring down the yearly expenditure to further comply with the finance rules i think, so i dont see the prices slowing down :)

The real problem is not the value of the transfer fee's but whether the club who spent it can afford it as Mike mentioned, we obviously do not want cases where clubs take loans so they have enough money to buy star players and then are unable to pay it back

To be fair, Andy Caroll's value was not grossly overpriced as many people believe, due to the new Home-Grown Rule it is inevitable that top English Youths will go for a far higher price than before

All of this money spent on players when it could have been used for better causes etc.

as long as clubs sell a big name player for many millions each year, then they can feel free to spend big as well. i dont think we will see a limit to the spending, cos players are going for more and more money, so even with the fair play rules, as long as you sell a guy for 70 million, you can spank 70mil on someone else, and the money goes round. like ajax/necastle have 23/35 mil to spend now respectively, even if the transfer rules were in place. and they can spread the costs over 5 years to bring down the yearly expenditure to further comply with the finance rules i think, so i dont see the prices slowing down :)

I agree on what your saying here mate, but Ajax are in a bit of financial trouble i think, so spending the 23mill they recived for suarez may be difficult also if there was a transfer spending cap i think it would prevent alot of clubs from going into major debt, liquidation etc.

that would seriously undermine the investor base in football as most club owners will only buy clubs if they are willing to spend and this rule will hardly impact around 75 percent of the EPL as most of them will hardly spend, no a cap will seriously suck a lot of cash from football

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

All of this money spent on players when it could have been used for better causes etc.

that type of arguement can be used for nearly everythin done in the world, y not u sell of ur laptop, it might go to a better cause if you get my meaning,

Kolarov is one of the world best full-backs
Lescott - fair enough
Aqualani was about 17M and had problems at Liverpool
Ferdinand turned into one of the worlds best center backs
Johnson was 10M so not that big (the fee had something to do with the Crouch money not being payed so you could call it a p/ex)
Darren Bent is a regular scorer and scored 24 in the previous season

Kolarov, wouldn't classify him as that myself, agree to disagree.
Aqua, was never woth £20m
Ferdinand was £30m 8 years [or so] ago. Can equate to much larger fees now.
Johnson, the valuation was still £17/18m, doesn't matter how much cash was paid.
Bent, is not world class, £24m should be a world class player.

Economy = Bad (for now)
Resources = Running out = Value rising sky high
Resources value increase = Price of a certain object increase

Conclusion, rich guys get richer, poor guys get poorer. No money no talk.

Again, that doesn't matter, that's how much the transfer equates to, nothing to do with how much liverpool had to infact pay due to outstanding fees. Johnson was in theory bought for £17/18m. Should Crouch's fee been paid, this was the fee, should Crouch not been bought, this was the fee.

the problem with football at the moment alot of clubs are running on a loss, its all good these prem clubs spending 20+ million on one player making debts, think about the lower league clubs due to the rising values of players, and rising wages unless they have a millionaire they will go under in the last 10 seasons the average wage in the champ has gone from about 4k to around 10k thats a huge wage esp considering the current state of real world finances, i dont know how we can return from this though i fear if this continues the major european leagues will reach a point of no return and it will take around 10 years before they recover, it has happend in other sports so why not football

then what's the problem with them spending? as long as its sustainable for the club in question.

And real have not hit their limit, the banks will back them till the cows come up. if there was ever a club that was "too big to fail" it would be them

the problem with football at the moment alot of clubs are running on a loss, its all good these prem clubs spending 20+ million on one player making debts, think about the lower league clubs due to the rising values of players, and rising wages unless they have a millionaire they will go under in the last 10 seasons the average wage in the champ has gone from about 4k to around 10k thats a huge wage esp considering the current state of real world finances, i dont know how we can return from this though i fear if this continues the major european leagues will reach a point of no return and it will take around 10 years before they recover, it has happend in other sports so why not football

This. It's not just about the club in question, it's about the league/other leagues as a whole. When Man City/Chelsea/Real Madrid/etc. spend way too much on players, it drives the prices of the whole market up. The smaller teams are now forced to pay more than they can for transfers, and they have to spend themselves into debt in order to do so. Since so many is spending themselves into debt, driving up prices even more, it encourages the other clubs to do so, because they can't fall behind. It's really bad for the sport as a whole.

As for Villa, they've actually spent plenty over the past 5 or so transfer windows, look it up. As has Liverpool, surprisingly. Tottenham has spent a decent amount as well, and Portsmouth spent a lot before they became a disaster. It's easy to point to the biggest spenders, like Chelsea, but a lot of smaller clubs spend above their weight as well so they can keep up with everyone else. It's a very unhealthy climate.

These financial problems are absolutely unheard of in the US. They have salary caps and there are no transfer fees (you trade players instead). Of course this is impossible with a global sport where there isn't one league that totally dominates the rest in terms of finances and level of play, but still, it is an example of how things could be done. It shows, at the very least, the more regulation is working towards a solution.