Rising Transfer Prices

Andy Carrol was bought for more than David Villa

Ridiculos

And if Andy Carrol was Urugayan and 30 he would sell for about 12m

Andy Carrol was bought for more than David Villa

Ridiculos

And if Andy Carrol was Urugayan and 30 he would sell for about 12m
but hes not hes 22, and therefore has 10+ yeats left at the top, as opposed to 3-4 max, terrible comparison

Oooh, napoli fans wont like being called midtable, now they are sitting in 2nd and pushing for the scudetto :p

You know what i mean there lol.. They have few excellent players, not exactly mid table team, maybe like Team fighting for champions league.

I personally dont see FFP working out as everyone hopes, i mean most people watch the Champions League to see Real Madrid, Chelsea, Barcelona, Man United, Inter and AC Milan, these guys spend big money and lets face it all the sponsership deals and Cash money going into the comp, most comes from these teams participating bringing in the TV Revenue needed to fuel the entire comp in its present form. If you handicap these clubs ability to spend we may see a decrease in Champions League quality and the money that comes in from "fair weather" fans and people who do not live in Europes Time zones and make an effort to watch in the first place.

Just my 2 cents, i could be 100% wrong and people may argue that the comps quality overall will become fairer, but its my honest opinion that those teams getting past the group stage most of the time have the potential to go all the way.

It was Italian team's in the 90's, and nowadays it's the English teams plus Real Madrid. Blaming Spanish teams for the inflated transfer prices is ridiculous...Real Madrid is the only team in Spain that spends like crazy. True, over the past couple of seasons Barca started spending like crazy to keep up with Real (Villa being the only transfer that actually panned out), but they have 8 out of the starting XI from the youth academy, and historically speaking, aren't super heavy spenders considering they're the second biggest team in the country. Every other team in Spain is **** poor pretty much. Look at Valencia. If we compare the amount spent each transfer window per league, the Prem outspends La Liga by far. Real Madrid is the only big spending team, with Barca occassionally coming it to make a stupid transfer. The rest run on an extremely tight budget. True, if you look at the top 15 transfers of all time, it looks like Spain is dominating the transfer market, but that's just because Real Madrid has had their two phases of galacticos. Heck even during the non-galactico era they really weren't heavy spenders considering their stature.

The FFP will hopefully slow things down but that's not the only issue, there's a real lack of sustainability that could destroy these clubs. However, maybe they have become 'too big to fail.' Seems to be the trend these days.

Real Madrid are the top spenders in European and world football, having spent over £831 million (€1,000m) in the last decade on transfer fees, as revealed by Marca today.

In comparison, Barcelona have spent £593m (€713m) while Roman Abramovich spent £540m (€650m) over the same period with Chelsea. However, Manchester City have begun a Madrid type spending spree over the last three years totalling £318m in the Premier League.

So much for the Barca wanking.. It is getting ridiculous tbh.

Carroll cost 35million because English payers cost about twice as much as they are worth...because their English

I personally dont see FFP working out as everyone hopes, i mean most people watch the Champions League to see Real Madrid, Chelsea, Barcelona, Man United, Inter and AC Milan, these guys spend big money and lets face it all the sponsership deals and Cash money going into the comp, most comes from these teams participating bringing in the TV Revenue needed to fuel the entire comp in its present form. If you handicap these clubs ability to spend we may see a decrease in Champions League quality and the money that comes in from "fair weather" fans and people who do not live in Europes Time zones and make an effort to watch in the first place.

Just my 2 cents, i could be 100% wrong and people may argue that the comps quality overall will become fairer, but its my honest opinion that those teams getting past the group stage most of the time have the potential to go all the way.

There was a time where people loved to watch Ajax, Dortmund and many other teams. Now they are not in top competitions but still game has not stopped. If not these top clubs, some other clubs will take their place.

It is like clubs, players come and go, but Club remains, like that Clubs rise and fall, but competition remains.

Real Madrid are the top spenders in European and world football, having spent over £831 million (€1,000m) in the last decade on transfer fees, as revealed by Marca today.

In comparison, Barcelona have spent £593m (€713m) while Roman Abramovich spent £540m (€650m) over the same period with Chelsea. However, Manchester City have begun a Madrid type spending spree over the last three years totalling £318m in the Premier League.

So much for the Barca wanking.. It is getting ridiculous tbh.

You don't seriously believe anything Marca says about Barca, do you? Where have all of these transfers gone? Their entire team is from their youth team pretty much...the only big transfers I can think of are Ibra, Chyrginsky, Mascherano...I seriously doubt they've spent that much on transfers.

Even if they have though, fine, point taken. That means that two teams in Spain spend like crazy and the rest of the league has absolutely no money (especially because of TV rights). The difference is that in the Prem you have plenty of teams that spend outrageous fees on players, and the league as a whole is in more debt than any other in the world.

Another thread of players judging Carroll before he even plays, grow up.

Oh and Crespo £35.5 - Carroll £35m - I know which one I'd rather have..

Also think how many millions of shirts Ronaldo has sold, if there is any player worth an £80m investment, it is him, teams will pay what they have too for players, they always have and they always will.

You don't seriously believe anything Marca says about Barca, do you? Where have all of these transfers gone? Their entire team is from their youth team pretty much...the only big transfers I can think of are Ibra, Chyrginsky, Mascherano...I seriously doubt they've spent that much on transfers.

Even if they have though, fine, point taken. That means that two teams in Spain spend like crazy and the rest of the league has absolutely no money (especially because of TV rights). The difference is that in the Prem you have plenty of teams that spend outrageous fees on players, and the league as a whole is in more debt than any other in the world.
most of the debt is carried by manchester united, who incurred that debt as part of a leveraged takeover as opposed to any poor running of the club. in fact before the takeover united had zero debt

Last edited:
No, English clubs are not the main driving force and they are not spending the most ridiculous fees..
The worlds top 3 most expensive transfers come from Spanish Clubs

1 Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United to Real Madrid £80
2 Zlatan Ibrahimović Internazionale to Barcelona £56.5
3 Kaká Milan to Real Madrid £56
4 Fernando Torres Liverpool to Chelsea £50
5 Zinedine Zidane Juventus to Real Madrid £45.7
6 Luís Figo Barcelona to Real Madrid £37
7 Hernán Crespo Parma to Lazio £35.5
8 Andy Carroll Newcastle United to Liverpool £35
9 David Villa Valencia to Barcelona £34.2
10 Gianluigi Buffon Parma to Juventus £32.6
11 Robinho Real Madrid to Manchester City £32.5
12 Christian Vieri Lazio to Internazionale £32
13 Andriy Shevchenko Milan to Chelsea £30.8
14 Dimitar Berbatov Tottenham Hotspur to Manchester United £30.75
15 Pavel Nedvěd Lazio to Juventus £30.7

If you stretch top top 15, 6 transfers are made from Spanish clubs, 5 from English clubs and 4 from Italian Clubs

If you add up transfers per country it is £301.7M for Spanish Clubs, £179.05M for English clubs and £130.8M for Italian Clubs...

So actually if you look at it, it's Spanish Clubs that are contributing the most to these ridiculous fees, but It is still a widespread problem.

1. Read my post again.
2. The embossed one's can hardly count to the inflated prices.

1. Read my post again.
2. The embossed one's can hardly count to the inflated prices.

Well yes as that when it started happening. It started round the 1999-2000's and now what we have here.
And I did read your post, you practically said it was England paying over the odds money and paying ridiculous fees's. But actually it's your two Spanish clubs.

Well yes as that when it started happening. It started round the 1999-2000's and now what we have here.
And I did read your post, you practically said it was England paying over the odds money and paying ridiculous fees's. But actually it's your two Spanish clubs.

There is no point arguing Raf, english football is the root of all evil -_-

What I'm saying is, Spanish clubs clearly paid the most for one single players, whereas in England they are paying over the odds for many players, ie. Kolarov, Lescott, Aqualani, Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Darren Bent etc. None of them over £30m but all over priced.

"That doesn't prove much, just how much was spent on one player"

The real issue here isnt the value of the fee, but whether its sustainable for the club spending it. liverpool spent 35 million on carroll, but at no point is the club financially endangering itself, nor does the fee put an burden on the club

Do you guys seriously think Valencia can spend like Man City? That Villareal can spend like Liverpool? That Atletico can spend like Aston Villa? That Sevilla can spend like Tottenham? Would any top 4 Prem teams have to sell their two best players because of their poor finances and inability to pay their squad's wages (Valencia)?

It won't happen as FIFA new rulings you can't spend more than your club earns. So only MEGA MEGA sponsorship clubs will have money...redicolous ruling...bring in wage capping that will stop greedy footballers moving clubs.

Do you guys seriously think Valencia can spend like Man City? That Villareal can spend like Liverpool? That Atletico can spend like Aston Villa? That Sevilla can spend like Tottenham? Would any top 4 Prem teams have to sell their two best players because of their poor finances and inability to pay their squad's wages (Valencia)?
valencia's case is a small look at the state of la liga to be honest, outsude of the top 2

What I'm saying is, Spanish clubs clearly paid the most for one single players, whereas in England they are paying over the odds for many players, ie. Kolarov, Lescott, Aqualani, Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Darren Bent etc. None of them over £30m but all over priced.

"That doesn't prove much, just how much was spent on one player"

Kolarov is one of the world best full-backs
Lescott - fair enough
Aqualani was about 17M and had problems at Liverpool
Ferdinand turned into one of the worlds best center backs
Johnson was 10M so not that big (the fee had something to do with the Crouch money not being payed so you could call it a p/ex)
Darren Bent is a regular scorer and scored 24 in the previous season

Last edited: