Recreating Louis van Gaal’s 3-5-2 formation in Football Manager 2014

This tactic is pretty decent to be fair I usually like to play with wingers and an amc but quite like the way leg has been using united in pre season so thought I would give this a whirl. I haven't managed to go unbeaten but I reckon I might have the prem title and fa cup in the bag fingers crossed. I've played 34 lost 3 drawn 3 so not that bad only bought ward prowes for future and philipp wollscheid who's a beast of centre back and only costs around 7-8 mill

I have been using this with a 4-2-3-1 tactic but I noticed towards the end my strikers Rooney and rvp have been struggling to score and ideas how to mix it up with making a mess off the tactics way of playing to get them to start scoring again

This tactic is pretty decent to be fair I usually like to play with wingers and an amc but quite like the way leg has been using united in pre season so thought I would give this a whirl. I haven't managed to go unbeaten but I reckon I might have the prem title and fa cup in the bag fingers crossed. I've played 34 lost 3 drawn 3 so not that bad only bought ward prowes for future and philipp wollscheid who's a beast of centre back and only costs around 7-8 mill

I have been using this with a 4-2-3-1 tactic but I noticed towards the end my strikers Rooney and rvp have been struggling to score and ideas how to mix it up with making a mess off the tactics way of playing to get them to start scoring again

I think they are not scoring probably because of lack of confidence (van Persie scored 35+ goals for me with about 10 assists, Mata 27 goals and 30 assists - he won the ballon d'or, Welbeck 27 goals and 20 assists, Rooney 20 goals and 15 assists).

You might wanna warn to transfer-list them if they don't start performing...and this works for me 99% of the time. And also discipline them after every poor performance.., I usually 'issue a warning' after first **** perfomance and increase it from there

So, I tried this with Real Sociedad and the results are mind-blowing
View attachment 347998View attachment 347996
View attachment 347997
View attachment 347995
I drew Fc Bayern in the Champion's league 1st knockout round and i hope the tactic works against (probably) the best team in the game. My best player (Vela) is out for 7 months and that's frustrating given that he had 16 goals and 13 assists as at January when he got injured
I'm sitting comfortably on top of la Liga which is as rare as finding a penguin in Africa. I'll post the liga table at the end of the season

I'm looking forward to trying it with a smaller team.
About OIS, I close down everybody to try and force mistakes and man-mark key players of the opposition

You close down everbody. Ok we go that. You man-mark key players of the opposition. Ok well how and with who?? Your screen shot just confuses even more cause just like FernandoGago said you have hard tackling set as well.

Will give the updated version a dig with A Villa ! Everyone finding its relatively solid at the back ?

You close down everbody. Ok we go that. You man-mark key players of the opposition. Ok well how and with who?? Your screen shot just confuses even more cause just like FernandoGago said you have hard tackling set as well.

To make it easier for you, I would say set your assistant manager to "set instructions for opposnent players" then selesct al the player (before the match) and select "close down always"

Just to clarify the training, do you give the players a rest day before and after a match?? and how much match training do you give them??

About training
General training: Train for tactics (very high) until 2 weeks before your first competitive fixture and then change to balanced (high)...for the whole season
Allow rest before and after match
Set scheduling in its default position (almost in the middle)
Match training: tactics until 2 weeks before first competitive fixture and the change to teamwork..for the whole season

P.S. I don't change match preparation no matter who i play against because i have faith in the tactic
View attachment 347829

Hi again Agieluma! I'm currently using this tactic with Malmö in the swedish league, trying to get to the CL Group stage first season! The results at the moment are really good, my question is, do you think i should use the counter version against the better teams in europe? And fast defenders are important i guess? :)

Hi again Agieluma! I'm currently using this tactic with Malmö in the swedish league, trying to get to the CL Group stage first season! The results at the moment are really good, my question is, do you think i should use the counter version against the better teams in europe? And fast defenders are important i guess? :)

I always use counter against tough teams or in tough games. sometimes in 50-50 games

Then ive done it right, Thanx for all the help! :)

I would suggest you copy the tactic and make one of them COUNTER so it would be easy to switch between counter and the control. hence the fluidity won't decrease each time to change mentality
Let me know how it's going for you. Goodluck

Last edited:
This is a very good tactics!! I think this is the first tactics that I used can actually get both rooney and van persie scoring for fun! Thank you very much for creating it!

This is a very good tactics!! I think this is the first tactics that I used can actually get both rooney and van persie scoring for fun! Thank you very much for creating it!
Thanks...
P.S. I only amplified Tacticnewpaper's Idea