Recreating Louis van Gaal’s 3-5-2 formation in Football Manager 2014

I would suggest you copy the tactic and make one of them COUNTER so it would be easy to switch between counter and the control. hence the fluidity won't decrease each time to change mentality
Let me know how it's going for you. Goodluck

Yeah that i have already done! :) Well i got in to the group stage with Malmö FF which is really good, swedish teams dont really go that far IRL :) But i guess it will be tough against those big teams :p

Yeah that i have already done! :) Well i got in to the group stage with Malmö FF which is really good, swedish teams dont really go that far IRL :) But i guess it will be tough against those big teams :p
Tha's pretty good

Is this for 14.3? Or 14.3.1?
Looks very good!

I tested this tactic with Holland in the 2014 World Cup. I didn't do any better than Holland did in real life as I came in 3rd place.

View attachment 347000 View attachment 346999 View attachment 346995

Here's how I lined up:

View attachment 346993

Here are the match stats:

View attachment 346985 View attachment 346984 View attachment 346983 View attachment 346982

View attachment 346967 View attachment 346966 View attachment 346965

I got smoked by Spain. Chile, Cameroon and Germany all created more CCC's than me.

Last edited:
I tested this tactic with Holland in the 2014 World Cup. I didn't do any better than Holland did in real life as I came in 3rd place.

View attachment 664534 View attachment 664535 View attachment 664542

Here's how I lined up:

View attachment 664546

Here are the match stats:

View attachment 664562 View attachment 664564 View attachment 664567 View attachment 664570

View attachment 664604 View attachment 664607 View attachment 664608

I got smoked by Spain. Chile, Cameroon and Germany all created more CCC's than me.

Epic line: I GOT SMOKED BY SPAIN

Which version of the tactic did you use- the first one or the update?
Did you change the mentality to counter against Spain and Germany?
Was the tactic fluid enough?
How high were your players' morales?

Epic line: I GOT SMOKED BY SPAIN

Which version of the tactic did you use- the first one or the update?
Did you change the mentality to counter against Spain and Germany?
Was the tactic fluid enough?
How high were your players' morales?

I used the updated one.
Yes
Tactic fully fluid (used FMRTE)
well against Spain the Morale was "ok" as I just had taken over and it was first game. (FMRTE doesn't control NT morale)
Morale got better the rest of the way.

Started off well there near January let there foot of the peddle. Just cant seem to get the points.

I really like the tactic, been dying for a decent recreation of LVG's 3-5-2, but one alteration I've made is to take off play out of defence, as too many times I've seen the DLP play it straight back to the keeper when a counter was on. Lethal tactic though, well done.

"Play Narrower" was activated when needing to minimise the damage caused against tricky attackers and inside forwards, while ‘Exploit The Middle’ allowed Van Persie, Rooney and Mata time on the ball to cause large amounts of damage to mediocre defences.

Do you still use this now on the updated file?

"Play Narrower" was activated when needing to minimise the damage caused against tricky attackers and inside forwards, while ‘Exploit The Middle’ allowed Van Persie, Rooney and Mata time on the ball to cause large amounts of damage to mediocre defences.

Do you still use this now on the updated file?

No, I didn't use them in most games- to allow more freedom to your creative players...hence reducing the possibility of your opponent predicting where your attack would come from

The update and the normal are the same :S i downloaded both dont notice any difference

When you play your counter-attack tactic, do you only change from control to counter then? or is it any other changes? counter attack and retain possession at the same time?

When you play your counter-attack tactic, do you only change from control to counter then? or is it any other changes? counter attack and retain possession at the same time?
i change only the mentality...control to counter

very intersting:
The mentality "control" means that players will use short passes and try to hold the ball until the final shot.
But you use such instructions as "Retain possession", "Short passing" and "High tempo". It turns out that players passes will be more shorter and they try to keep the ball even when there is another variation of the attack. And you use higher tempo, that contradicts to the mentality and your instruction to retain possessions.
How does it work? :) Can you explain that? Thanks!!

Is this tactic good for plug & play? Will give it a go anyway, as a Man United coach.