Redstag

Reaction score
GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI RETIRES

It is with great sadness that it has been announced today that Giovanni Trapattoni has retired at the age of 71. "Trap" led a glorious and diverse managerial career ranging from Ireland, Germany, Portugal and of course his native Italy where he won his real acclaim. Italian prime minister Sivlio Berlusconi, an AC Milan fan, led the tributes, saying that Trapattoni's "Passion, patriotism, dedication and professionalism knew no equal during his time both as a player and a manager", and countless others echoed such sentiments.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND IN SEARCH FOR NEW MANAGER

With Liam Brady refusing to enter the race for manager, his co-assistant Marco Tardelli has also been ruled out as a candidate by the FAI. Senior players such as Shay Given and Robbie Keane have long cited communication trouble as an issue with the late Giovanni Trapattoni. With Mick McCarthy (Wolves) and Steve Staunton (Darlington) both having given all they can give it to the national team Ipswich manager Roy Keane is the media favourite for the position. Keane won 66 caps for the Republic of Ireland and has had a colourful and controversial international playing history.

OUTSIDE MAN IN THE HOTSEAT

In a sensational move the FAI have appointed rank outsider, Donal Treacy as the new manager of the national team. Treacy began his career at Limerick FC before embarking on a long yet uneventful playing career at Newcastle FC. Recently completed his FAI coaching courses this rising star holds the hopes and dreams of a nation in his hands. Ireland have competed in only one major tournament in the last decade and the fans are divided on whether this young man can achieve anything as he drinks from the poisoned chalice. Bookie favourite Roy Keane earlier this week ruled himself out of the race citing an "emotional conflict" as a factor in his decision.

Last edited:
Why couldn't you just say he resigned? A bit sad really!

thats what I thought, saying he had died and the circumstances of his death is a little macabre considering he isnt. I would have thought, sacking, resigning etc may have been a bit more considerate, but good luck anyway with it, itll not be an easy task! i will be following it!

he is 70 years old and only in the job a few months. Just seemed more realistic. Apologies if I caused offense

It is a very sad start to the story but I'm definitely following as a patriotic Irish man. Very well written btw! Good luck. you're not a Limerick FC fan are u>? lol as a youths fan I hate them

Last edited by a moderator:
yes and no I'm from Limerick but have little interest in domestic soccer. Hopefully it will work out for me.

death is a bit harsh but good luck

yes and no I'm from Limerick but have little interest in domestic soccer. Hopefully it will work out for me.
Yeah good luck. I got into domestic soccer around 2 years ago and now I'm a massive LOI fan! Tip : check out regens from the likes of Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers as potential stars. On my Boh's game one of my star youth players went to Liverpool and looks like he's gonna be a star. Always good players at Irish clubs so give them a look in

he died!:O good read. nicely written. i look forward to reading more

Lads also Ive never done a story before so stop me if Im including too much of my thought processes etc but because games are few and far between I will include that.

Also again Im really sorry about the Trap death thing but I want this realisitc and I see no other reason he'd leave.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

OK so in my first acts as Republic of Ireland boss all U21 home fixtures will be played in Thomond Park, Limerick. Senior home fixtures will take place in Aviva Stadium, Dublin when completed in July 2010. Currently home games will take place Croke Park, Dublin.

We are aiming to bring youth soccer to other parts of the country and staging games in West of Ireland and East of Ireland should increase popularity. It also gives the young lads something to aspire to; playing football in the capital city.

Robbie Keane has been appointed captain with Richard Dunne and Shay Given as vice captains.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Rep of Ireland 1 - 1 Australia

Cyprus 0- 4 Rep of Ireland

Rep of Ireland 1 - 0 South Africa

I will indeed mate. Here are my objectives.

Short Term:
- Qualify for World Cup 2010
- Develop a Key Squad of about 30 players capable of playing to Premiership level
- Identify the up and coming players

Long Term:
- Qualify for international tournaments on a regular basis
- Try be playing at such a level that our players are mainly Champions League quality

Trap died :'(

Ive been following domestic football since the Youths were created, although QPR are my passion I mostly go to youths games.

Thanks Shootie,

Next up is Italy. I have been sort of experimental so far with my player selection. Here is my squads for the games I played. Gonna be a few tough calls I think:

View attachment 34200

View attachment 34201

View attachment 34202

As you can see rookies Wilson, McCarthy and Lawrence have all formed a nice midfield alongside Andy Reid and McGeady. Keane is a lone striker.

I have been happy defensively especially against Australia. Their goal was a penalty given away by Eddie Nolan who had a poor game. However against an attack with the experience of Viduka, Kewell, Bresciano, Culina and Cahill I was thrilled.

Same against Cyprus they had made 3 changes by half time due to our defensive ability (score was only 1-0). Then we stretched then in 2nd half getting 3 more.

Against South Africa Benni McCarthy and his forwards had a poor day and our defenders had another solid outing.

I sort of worry about my attack however.