Return of a Giant - May The Lions Roar Once More

leckuno

Reaction score
TSV 1860 München

View attachment 18178

The Lions — History and tradition

View attachment 18177
The Turn-und Sportverein München von 1860, better known as 1860 Munich in English, are one of the oldest football clubs in continental Europe, having been founded in, well, 1860, as a gymnastics and sports club. Originally the club was connected with the liberal and republican movements in the then Kingdom of Bavaria.

The Lions were founding members of the modern Bundesliga, and were crowned champions in 1966 — the first Bavarian club to do so.

View attachment 18174

The Fall

View attachment 18176
The glory days have become ashen memories. As its bitter inter-city rival Bayern Munich raked Bundesliga after Bundesliga, The Lions fell from grace, spending many spells away from the Bundesliga, and becoming a regular feature in the 2. Bundesliga.

Financial difficulties meant that 1860 Munich had to sell its 50% stake of the Allianz Arena to Bayern in 2006. The financial problems continued. After a decade in the 2. Bundesliga, the club found itself relegated to the 3. Liga in 2017. And since 1860 Munich was unable to pay the 3. Liga's fees it was relegated to the regional Bavarian league instead, in the fourth division of German football. They achieved first position last season so have made it to 3. Liga at the first time of asking.

The Future

So the main aim of this story will be to topple Bayern to become the best team in Munich and the best team in Germany. We will be looking to the amazing youth facilities at the club to ensure we have a balance of homegrown young players and experienced players in the leagues we will be playing in.

View attachment 18175

The one problem we will have is upon reaching the top division the clubs debt will become a massive factor as there is a loan that is only repayable upon reaching it.

View attachment 18173
At the moment though the finances are actually ok for the league we're in and gives us a solid starting point to build from.

View attachment 18172

Squad

Goalkeepers

View attachment 18167
Hendrik Bonmann will be our first choice keeper this season with Hiller being a capable backup but I will probably look at the loan market to see if we can bring in a stronger back up just in case.

Defenders

View attachment 18166
In defence we should have more than enough to see us mount a challenge for the playoffs but we are going to need to look at possibly trying to bring in a new defensive line especially if we get promoted then we won't stand a chance. The only upside is they are young and can hopefully develop into stronger players.

Midfielders

View attachment 18165
Again in midfield we should have more than enough with Romuald Lacazette being a key player and will hopefully pull the strings in the middle of the park along with Moll. We will need to look to see who else is out there over the course of the season though to make sure we stay competitive next season.

Attackers

View attachment 18164
In Attack we have 3 target men with our best permanent one being 33 so isn't going to offer much after this season. We are going to look at the loan market and transfer list as we could really do with somebody to do a bit of running off of one of the target men.

With this squad I will be looking to play a 4-4-2 attacking formation to make the most out of the squad we have.

On the upside we have been able to attract a senior affiliate in the form of Borussia Dortmund so hopefully we're able to get some players from them over the coming seasons.

View attachment 18163

Preseason

View attachment 18096
We have a very goo preseason managing to win 5 games out of 9. There are two games I would like to forget about after being on the wrong end of a pummelling. But we were probably lucky that those games ended at only 5-0 and 5-1. I tried to squeeze in as many games a possible to try and find my best 11 and tactic.

We will be going with the 4-4-2 I mentioned earlier after I managed to bring in another couple of strikers to help us out.

View attachment 18095
The big singing for me was bringing in Anthoney Vanden Borre who brings in a wealth of experience from the Premier League and Seria A and will slot into the RB position as a back up but depending on how things go he may go into the first team.

Tactic wise we will be playing with the below.

View attachment 18094
For ur expectations this season the board just want us to finish in the top half but I want to try and get into the playoffs.

View attachment 18092

July/August Fixtures

View attachment 18093

Hope it goes well! I'll follow for sure, will be interesting.

July/August

View attachment 18065
What a start to the season. In our first game we still had a bit of rust to shake off after preseason and that was seen with the two goals we conceded but it went from strength to strength after that and managed to keep clean sheets in the following 5 matches. We even managed to rack up an impressive 14 goals in 6 games. Everybody has been chipping in with goals as well so its not all falling to one person.

In the cup we played an absolute blinder against Hertha BSC and managed to make it into the second round.

View attachment 18064
We manage to finish the first half with a massive confidence booster with Steinhart coming in of with left wing to grab the opener. Kramer then grabs the second to put us 2-0 up. Thinking it couldn't go any better and it certainly couldn't as Hertha grab one back instantly to make it 2-1 before grabbing the equaliser in the 82nd minute from a well worked corner. On the upsde we still take it to extra time but Hertha grab an early lead after a stupid tackle in the box and Duda slides it home into the bottom corner. Thinking the match is over Steinhart makes a dashing run from the LB position to grab a very late equaliser to force Hertha to penalties. Duda steps up and he was unable to convert it after his earlier one and after that the rest was history as we progress to the second round.

View attachment 18063

September Fixtures

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/atta...iant-may-lions-roar-once-more-july_august.png

View attachment 18066

September

View attachment 18009
We drop our first points of the season against Munster and we should really of done better but we managed to push on after that and again we managed the whole month with only conceding 2 goals which makes it 5 in the league this season. We also added another 11 goals to our tally as well.

The stand out match was against Fortuna Koln this month.

View attachment 18008
Steinhart just can't stop scoring at the moment, he's been unbelievable so far chipping in from the LB position and he does it here again in the 43rd minute heading in from a corner to give us the lead before veteran striker Molders send us in at half time with a 2-0 lead. Kramer then puts the game to death with a well worked team goal in the 64th minute. What was even better was that we made sure Fortuna Koln didn't have a single shot or target.

View attachment 18007
What I have come to realise this month is we are short of natural central midfielders along with a lack of back up down the wings which will be something I look to address in January.

October Fixtures

View attachment 18006

October

View attachment 18001
A nice short month where we've only had 3 league matches and managed a 100% record with the opening 2 being a lot tougher than we expected. Then we had the outstanding win against Jena which set us up nicely for the German Cup Second Round against MSV Duisburg.

View attachment 18000
A sloppy penalty is given away in the seventh minute and we take full advantage with Weber slotting it away to give us an early lead. We take the game to Duisburg and Kargar finally puts the game to bed with a fine finish off the left wing to make it 2-0 and send us into the third round of the competition.
The joy of being in the 3rd division means that since we are the smallest team we will always have the home draw which will always help.

View attachment 17999

November Fixtures

View attachment 17998

November

View attachment 17960
A first defeat for me as manager and it was tough to take after our form but it was always going to happen and at least it was only 1-0. We just didn't turn up at all but it was also just 3 days after our German cup match. Wurzburg was a great way to bounce back with a big win. Osnabuck gave us quite a scare as we nearly threw away a 3-0 lead but managed to hold on for the final 5 minutes.

View attachment 17959

The big news this month is that I got offered a new contract which will keep me at the club until 2020 so hopefully i can continue to get extensions as I have no intention of leaving.

View attachment 17958

The other news this month was the signing of Ozkan Yildirim on a free who will come in and provide excellent competition down the right wing.

View attachment 17957

December Fixtures

View attachment 17956

December

View attachment 17935
Its pretty standard month as we get back to an unbeaten month but Wiesbaden did put up a very good fight and were leading right up until the 85th minute as we pulled back a late equaliser to grab a point. The rest of the games were tough and helped show our weaknesses for where we need to try and strengthen in the transfer market next month. The only problem is we have no money so probably won't be able to sign anybody on pre-contracts either so will have to hope the decent youngsters don't get snapped up by other clubs before the summer and then it will be slim pickings.

View attachment 17934
January Fixtures

View attachment 17933
January is a nice short month with the winter break in play. I will be looking to try and arrange a few friendlies to make sure the players stay fit and anybody new we do bring in can get use to the tactics.

January

View attachment 17875
We manage to get some good friendlies set up against Dortmund and Frosinone to try and bring a bit of money into the club and I was surprised by results. I didn't expect a strong team for Dortmund and it certainly wasn't but it was a result I was loving just for the bragging rights more than anything. In the league it was back to normal as we manage to secure a tight win against Halle to keep our lead at the top of the table.

View attachment 17874
The board were really generous and decided to edit my budget for the season with giving me a negative of £170,000 so we aren't even able to sign anybody on pre-contract deals which is annoying. In December we did manage to sign new players though to come in and help.

First was Juan Perez who we signed from Atletico Pamplona for £190,000 and will become the first choice keeper from now on.
View attachment 17873

Next we bring in former Juventus man Paolo de Ceglie who will provide back up in the LB position and add a good bit of top class experience to the squad.

View attachment 17872

February Fixtures

View attachment 17871

February

View attachment 17725
We suffer another defeat in the league this time coming at the hands of third placed Kaiserslautern as we just didn't turn up at all and fully deserved to lose. Apart from that we have a good month getting another 2 wins and a draw to secure 7 points from a possible 12.

View attachment 17723

In the cup we had an amazing match against FC Ingolstadt 04 and took full advantage of the home advantage.

View attachment 17724
We have a great first half defensively as we keep them at 0-0. Romuald Lacazette then manages to score a great goal from 25 yards out to give us a well earned lead after 59 minutes. 10 minutes later Rocher rises above our defence to plant a header into the back of our net to get it back to 1-1. Romuald Lacazette then turns villain as he gets a straight red for a horrible tackle and fully deserved it. With it all on the line I decided to throw everything we had at them and it paid off as Owusu gets onto the end of a long ball and slotted home to send us into the quarter finals of the cup.

In the quarter finals we will face our first Bundesliga team as we host Red Bull Leipzig.

March Fixtures

View attachment 17722

March

View attachment 17707
We go undefeated again this month with getting 11 points out of 15. We manage to keep 3 clean sheets as well which is always good which takes our total to 17 so far in the league this season. The game against Meppen was another where we have gone 3-0 up and nearly thrown it away but manage to just hold on for the win by the skin of our teeth.

After this month we open up a gap of 16 points so its looking very likely that we will be getting promoted as champions this season.

View attachment 17706

Youth Intake

View attachment 17705
The message every manager wants to see come youth intake time. We have a golden generation on our hands. We have three noticeable players who will hopefully be ready to help out the first team once they turn 17.

View attachment 17704
View attachment 17703
View attachment 17702
They all look like very exciting and we will be throwing everything they need at them to try and get them first team ready.

April Fixtures

View attachment 17701

April

View attachment 17627
We finally bow out of the cup in the quarter finals to Leipzig after managing to push them all the way with home advantage again but sadly we lost out in penalties but with reaching this far and the game being on the TV we made plenty of cash from it.

In the league we go unbeaten and right before the Aalen game we were confirmed with a guaranteed spot in the play offs which helped ease the pressure on the players. Nut we manage to run out 2-1 winners which means we are guaranteed to go up as champions.

View attachment 17626
View attachment 17625

Along with this we have elections coming up so will be interesting to see what happens and if whoever comes in is able to invest any more money in the club to help us out.

View attachment 17624

May Fixtures

View attachment 17623

May

View attachment 17617

With the league wrapped up I decided to give fringe players a run out and also changed up the formation to see how it would work, but it didn't go completely to plan as we only win one of our 3 remaining games.

View attachment 17616

I'm going to leave this as a nice short update as my next one will be the Season overview and will be a lot larger.

Season Overview

In the end we run away with the league and won it by 19 points so it was never really in doubt over the run in as we had full confidence in the squad. We even managed to reach the quarter final of the cup which was a massive boost as it was a lot further than I expected but it was really just because of the luck of the draw.

View attachment 16839
The fans have been flocking to our stadium as we practically sold out for every game so its a real shame that we don't have the cash to get a new one or expand it. Hopefully in the future we will though and it will be a no-brainer to do.

View attachment 16838
Phillipp Steinhart was the standout player this season and was the only contestant really in with a chance of winning player of the year. From left back he managed to chip in with 6 goals and 16 assists over the season. Yildirim wins signing of the season but he was only 1 of 3 permanent transfers over the course of the season.

View attachment 16837
So the elections happened and sadly we didn't get a new president so the current one stays and won't throw money at the club sadly. The next election will sadly not be held until June 2022.

View attachment 16836
We get a few new sponsorship deals that will help the club grow over the seasons which is always a bonus. Hopefully everything else will grow over the next season as well.

View attachment 16835
The finances of the club have stayed around what they were when we started but with promotion they are guarenteed to improve as even if we finish bottom of the league next season we will receive £7,000,000 for prize money.

At the moment the hope for next season will just to be to avoid relegation but we will see who we can bring in and then see if it changes.

Congratulations on the title and promotion mate....onwards and upwards!!

Pre-Season

We have scoured the world high and low to try and find players than can help us stay up this season and we have managed to get a few folk in for free that will improve the squad and a few people in on loan again from some of the worlds best.

View attachment 16730
The two permanent signings that I'm most pleased about are Sinan Kurt who will be playing down the left wing and could play in the Bundesliga so was overwhelmed that we were able to attract him.

View attachment 16729
The second one is Kane Wilson who we bring in to be the new Right Back. Hopefully another example of bringing young English talent over to Germany.

View attachment 16728
There is one loan signing I'm really looking forward to seeing how they got on and its a young American called Andy Swenney. He will be my first choice striker at first so we will see how he gets on in the 6 months that we have him.

View attachment 16727
The toughest part of the transfer window so far has been the big clubs coming in to try and teal my best youth players that we got in the intake last season. The highest bid we've rejected so far is £1.5 million for Thomas Birkenstock so hopefully it isn't going to be taken out of my hands soon as if we are ever going to overtake Bayern its players like him that could make the difference.

Schedule

View attachment 16726
We have a small preseason but we have to big results with an easy win again Slavia Prague and a big win over SV Werder to give us a nice confidence boost right before the season starts.

Tactics

I'm going to try and change it up a bit from last season and go with a 4-2-3-1 this season and see how it pays off as I feel it suits the players I've brought in a bit more.

View attachment 16725
August

View attachment 16724

August

View attachment 15867
August see's us get back under way with our return to Budesliga 2. What a start it was winning all our games and more impressively keeping 4 cleans sheets in the process as well. The best result of the month came against VfL Bochum who finished 4th last season and we made light work of them with Yildirim opening the scoring after 1 minute with Sinan Kurt following it up with his first goal of the season in the 29th minute.

The month also brought the first round of the German Cup against Eintracht Frankfurt. We played a very defensive game with the plan of hitting them on the counter attack and we took on of our few chances and got the all important goal through Charly Musonda in the 22nd minute. We will now travel away to Hamburg for the second round.

View attachment 15866
We manage to hold onto all our youth prospects which was important as we had some really good offers for them but they will all be key to making this club a success.

September

View attachment 15865