RCDAguiar

Reaction score
CONTEXT:

I was raised in London but am Spanish by blood. My entire family are from A Coruña and thus my team is the mighty Deportivo La Coruña. Many know us for our golden generation of humble superstars like Valeron, Diego Tristan, Mauro Silva and so on. But we had glories before some of these guys. We're one of the very few Spanish teams to have won a league title despite hailing from a City of just 245,000 people - in fact, we're the second smallest club to have won the Spanish league title. Our other achievements include Copa del Rey triumphs and a couple of super cups.

We've had more torrid years than exciting ones, but it's fair to say that the latter made us one of the most watched teams in Europe for a while.

Right now (as of writing this), we are 5th in the league and enjoying our best season in years.

With this save, I plan on reviving my beloved Depor and dominating Spain.

It will be tough as we're 150m in debt and have a lot of players who are on 1-year contracts or simply loaned in. We are one of the toughest sides to manage in Spain on FM2016, so this should be fun.

THE NEXT POST WILL CONTAIN PRE-SEASON RESULTS, TACTICS, STAR PLAYERS AND MAYBE A SIGNING OR TWO.

Great choice in club mate, the link you have with Benfica should come in handy!

Best of luck, I'll be keeping up to date :)

Pre-season, signings, key players and tactics (2015)

Pre-season, signings, key players and tactics (2015)

View attachment 992266
A dream come true...

Before starting, here is our squad prior to sales and signings:

As ever, pre-season was a good chance to evaluate who I wanted to keep around and who I wanted to offload. I only made one sale, ditching 30-year-old Alex Bergantiños for €5.5m. I was delighted with getting that type of money because #1 he's not the greatest, #2 he's ageing and #3 he has the tendency to regularly get sent off. He joined AC Milan (somehow!) and the board retained 50% of the transfer revenue. It's worth mentioning we started with no transfer budget and only 700 wage budget.

With the Bergantiños money, we sought out to sign a younger defensive-midfielder for relatively cheap. I didn't want a loanee or someone on a one-year deal, so I settled for Cordoba CB/DMC Deivid for
€1.9m. I was happy with this deal because we only have three natural centre-backs at the club. He plugs two holes. I am also training Pedro Mosquera to play as a DMC because that is his natural position in real life.

View attachment 205380
As you can see, he isn't the most standout of players but I'm sure he can get the job done this season. We have other players who can slot in there. I tried for Rani Khedira but we simply did not have enough money. For now, Deivid will do.

View attachment 205379I didn't make any other signings and endeavoured to only loan out my brightest youngster, Yago Gandoy.

Here are my key players in each third of the pitch. Goalkeeper:

Fabricio (or Fabri, as we call him), has some pretty good stats. He has been underrated this year, though. Last season, he was one of the best goalkeepers in Spain and I was hoping for a bigger upgrade on his stats. Regardless, he looks very good. I was also able to tie him down on a long-term contract as his was facing expiration at the end of the season.

Our key defender:

Arribas is our most valuable player and his stats support that notion. He simply looks fantastic. We have him tied down on a long-term deal - no loan or one-year contract. He should be one of the pillars of any early success we have in the coming years.

Our key midfielder:

The media in-game recognise Borges as our most important player and it's hard to argue against that. He is extremely well-rounded with great role versatility. Regardless of how we switch things up in this centre, he will always be performing to a high level I hope.

Our key attacker:

In real life, this man is our hero. He reduced his wages by triple to join us - his boyhood club - and celebrates every goal passionately. He scores and assists regularly. I couldn't look past him as our key attacker despite Fede Cartabia (on loan) having better technical stats. He should be the beating heart of our play in the final third.

Here is the formation and instructions that worked OK in pre-season that I really want to roll with this coming season:

I'm not the most masterful of tacticians so I will toy around with this until I find something that is a working formula 90% of the time.

Our pre-season results:

Like many, I don't look into pre-season for anything other than performance. I tweaked some issues with the system and played around with various roles. I was mightily impressed with the Celtic game despite that narrow loss. It was also pretty fun playing with some club legends in the Manuel Pablo testimonial!

The board have set me the target of finishing mid-table. I was only expecting us to have to avoid relegation, so this was a huge surprise. I'm sure we have enough in the tank to make the board and fans happy.

In the next post, we will look at how the first month of my tenure went. I will be doing my own player of the month/under-performer of the month award and breaking down each result. I hope that many of you will enjoy this. It is a save that will be documented with a lot of personal passion.

August 2015 - short, sweet and then stale...

August 2015 - short, sweet and then stale...

View attachment 992426

We only played two games in August, but they both carried two fantastic performances despite a negative result in the second game. Without further ado, here are the results:

The win against Real Sociedad is massive and a complete upset, while the Valencia game saw us marginally lose despite a strong performance and one golden clear-cut chance. Let's take a look at this games in further depth:

We had them beat for possession and overall shots. Despite going a goal down, we never really looked like suffering a defeat in my first game as Depor manager. Jonathan Rodriguez was outstanding, playing a gorgeous cross-field pass for Cartabia to finish and then latching onto a sublime Luis Alberto goal to turn the game around. Deivid had a solid debut, too. I think we can make the Riazor a fortress this season. Great start to 2015/16.

Here's what happened at the Mestalla:

They were completely dominant but had no clear-cut chances. We reduced them to 11 shots off target, restricting their game to long-range potshots. Our biggest chance came in the 67th minute when Lucas smashed a one-on-one onto the post and then straight into the 'keepers arms. It was a disappointing end to a game where I felt we could have won. But I still praised the players at the final whistle because we held our own at one of the toughest grounds in the country.

After this game, we were dealt a bit of an injury blow...

A stupid training injury to our defensive star - one of the main reasons why we didn't concede more against Valencia. It will be tough to cope without him considering our back-up is a 35-year-old Alberto Lopo. We'll just have to wait and see, but things could go pear-shaped without Arribas.

On transfer deadline day, I made the decision to sell back-up left-back Luisinho. He was on the wrong side of 30 with a contract expiring in the summer. I got a decent amount for him, cleared up the wage bill and replaced with one of the biggest stars of our academy:

And his internal replacement:

Luis Alberto had a strong couple of performances. He created that golden chance for Lucas in the Valencia game and assisted the winner against Real Sociedad. I was really impressed with how effortlessly he was running games. He'll be competing with Cani and Fayçal Fajr for that AMC position. Right now, after those performances, he is a frontrunner.

And that's the end of August. A short month in terms of fixtures, but September will hit us with four games. We will be playing Rayo, Sporting, Betis and Espanyol. Let's see how our form fairs! 'Til next time!

Haven't been this excited about a story in ages! Good luck man, will definitely be following! :D :D :D

CONTEXT:

I was raised in London but am Spanish by blood. My entire family are from A Coruña and thus my team is the mighty Deportivo La Coruña. Many know us for our golden generation of humble superstars like Valeron, Diego Tristan, Mauro Silva and so on. But we had glories before some of these guys. We're one of the very few Spanish teams to have won a league title despite hailing from a City of just 245,000 people - in fact, we're the second smallest club to have won the Spanish league title. Our other achievements include Copa del Rey triumphs and a couple of super cups.

We've had more torrid years than exciting ones, but it's fair to say that the latter made us one of the most watched teams in Europe for a while.

Right now (as of writing this), we are 5th in the league and enjoying our best season in years.

With this save, I plan on reviving my beloved Depor and dominating Spain.

It will be tough as we're 150m in debt and have a lot of players who are on 1-year contracts or simply loaned in. We are one of the toughest sides to manage in Spain on FM2016, so this should be fun.

THE NEXT POST WILL CONTAIN PRE-SEASON RESULTS, TACTICS, STAR PLAYERS AND MAYBE A SIGNING OR TWO.

Best of luck, I'll be keeping up to date

o.png

Good start and a good choice of teams - they're doing great in real life!

Good start and a good choice of teams - they're doing great in real life!

Yes we are! We're on an unbeaten run of four games and sitting comfortably in 5th. First time in years that we've had a comfortable start to the season.

The forum isn't letting me post images which is annoying. I have a September written up already. It'll be with you guys whenever FM-Base lets me post images.

Same happened to me mate. It's some type of anti-bot software to prevent spam, try posting on a couple of different threads then give it another go :)

September 2015 - An unbeaten run begins...

September 2015 - An unbeaten run begins...

View attachment 992876

With Arribas out injured and a bunch of upcoming games against sides destined to finished around us this season, I was expecting September to be a gruelling month. To my surprise, we went unbeaten but that's not to say there weren't any struggles along the way. Here are the results:

We're still yet to win away from home and I can see that being a huge issue this season. Having said that, I am already working on an away tactic to combat our lack of chance creation and shots on target. Let's take a look at these games in depth:

2-0 down at half-time, 2-0 down with ten minutes to go. Rayo were dominating possession and shots. They swarmed us throughout the entirety of the game. All it took was two set-pieces to undo the side from Madrid. In the 81st minute, Sidnei rose tallest in the box to nod in a Cani corner. The highlight didn't even stop. Right from kick-off, we stole the ball, broke on the counter and Fede Cartabia put in a peach of an assist for substitute Jonas Gutierrez to smash past Rayo 'keeper Juan Carlos. An excellent turnaround, yet poor result, but I was impressed with the determination of the side.

Onto the Sporting Gijon game...

View attachment 204830

This was an unnecessarily tight game against the weakest side in the league. We struggled to break them down - the same way they struggled to break us down - and thus could only find a goal from a free-kick. It was a beautiful strike from Cartabia and sealed the deal early on. I would have liked to have dominated this game and scored a few more, but a win is a win. Defensively, we played a fantastic game.

Real Betis away...

View attachment 204829

Another late goal to claw us back into an away game where we were second best. Cartabia produced yet another moment of magic - three games in a row - to help preserve our unbeaten run. Throughout this match, we struggled to find a way past Betis' defence. We tried to work the ball around, pump it into the box... but nothing. They really had a stranglehold on us. But this is when having an excellent free-kick taker can bail you out. With 9 minutes left to play, Cartabia curled in his second free-kick in as many weeks. He's becoming quite the star in attack. Not the best result but, all things considered, it's more than acceptable.

Lastly, Espanyol at home...

I know, I know. What a shock! Cartabia scored again? Who'd have thought it... Anyhow, this was yet another extremely tough game. We just about edged it on possession and were the more clinical side. Jonathan opened the scoring early with a nice mazy run and finish. Espanyol then dominated the majority of the first-half and scored from a corner-kick with 5 minutes to go until half-time. I changed things around at half-time, swapping Cartabia's role from winger to inside-forward in the hope of capitalising on his scintillating form. It paid off. Lucas' cross-field pass split Espanyol's defence wide open and, from a tight angle, Cartabia crushed his shot in off the bar. Borges then had a chance to kill the game off from the spot but missed. I then switched to a more defensive mentality to secure the three points. It all went to plan!

A look at the league table as September comes to an end:

Cartabia scored/assisted in each and every single game this month. And all of his contributions were crucial. An assist for a late equaliser, two winning goals and a late equaliser. He ran games effortlessly and his flair helps us when our backs are up against the wall. It's a shame he's only on loan. I am loving his contributions so far. Let's hope he fairs well in October!

That wraps up September. It was great kick-starting an unbeaten run, but I would have hoped for another 3 points from one of the draws. Regardless, I was happy overall with the performances - in particular, defensively. We haven't missed Arribas one bit. New boy, Deivid, has replaced him seamlessly and is getting some great average ratings per game. Anyhow, see you guys in October where we face Atletico Madrid among others!

Last edited:
October 2015 - the wheels come falling off...

October 2015 - the wheels come falling off...

View attachment 992948
This was an extremely tough month on paper, and that really showed in overall performance and results. We still haven't picked up a win away from home and our defensive solidity has somewhat crumbled. Here are the results:

As you can see, we had a huge dip in form. It was disappointing, but I learnt a lot from it in terms of tactics. I identified some issues with our away tactic that, hopefully, will show positively in the coming months. We've adopted a more rigid system and are valuing shape over freedom from now on. I hope that works out. Let's look at the game in depth:

This was a performance of who could look like the crappier team. We couldn't break them down, they kept shooting from range. Passes were all over the place and chance creation was non-existent. Neither side had a clear cut chance. The only real positive was our defensive performance, but this was a game that we should have won without any issues.

Onto Athletic Bilbao...

This was always going to be tough. Athletic were ridiculously clinical, though. We made no errors and actually performed quite well in terms of the midfield battle. We won a good amount of loose balls and outshone them in the first-half. Cani's goal was one that reflected our dominance. But then they just exploded in the second-half and we could not contain them whatsoever. Aduriz ran our defence ragged. In hindsight, I probably should have left Arribas out (this was his first game back from injury). As the cliché goes, "it was a game of two halves" - it couldn't be any more applicable to this game. A disappointing first loss at home.

After this game, we were dealt a terrible injury to one of our key players which undoubtedly affected the following games:

Malaga away...

I have to credit my boys for clawing their way back in to this game not once, but twice. Twice we went down, twice we equalised. I was particularly happy with this away performance but, against ten men for the majority of the game, I had expected 3 points. Fayçal Fajr scored the equaliser seconds after coming on as a substitute. With Luis Alberto having lost his form, it may now be time for Fajr to ease his way into that AMC role. Also, it was nice to see Lucas get a goal. He has been struggling in these early months with Cartabia taking the attacking shine but, as tactics evolve and change, I hope he'll begin to gain some form.

On a side note, here is who we drew in the Copa del Rey:

Ponferradina are a strong second division side. I can't afford to underestimate them - especially with our away form. This will be over two legs but, ideally, I want to crush them early on so that we can rotate.

Lastly, Atletico Madrid at home...

It may look valiant, but this was a horrendous performance. I'm happy that, for the first time this season, we scored three goals - that's about all I'm happy with. Defensively, we were a shambles. Fabricio's injury has left us with an unconvincing, bang-average goalkeeper who made two blunders and allowed Atleti to roll us over. Cani was outstanding - he's been the bright spark in a horrible, turgid month. Also, I've been disappointed with Jonathan Rodriguez's form and will be dropping him for Oriol Riera. This was Riera's first start of the season and he scored - he may not be great technically, but I like his physical stats. He shines as a target man and we will be playing to his strengths for the next month or so. Let's hope it pays off...

ANOTHER INJURY

View attachment 204755
There goes our back-up DMC. Great.

The league table after this shocking month:

I would be happy with 12th come season-end. It's hard to analyse the table early on, so I'll just leave the image attached. Make of it what you will.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 204753

As I said earlier in the post, he was the brightest spark in a dull month. He's 34, but still running the show. His technical stats flourish in that AP(S) role, despite the physical decline. He can't quite start three games in a row but, for what he adds, he is more than worth giving regular game time to. His contract is up in the summer and he takes up quite a chunk of the wage bill so a renewal is unlikely. But if he keeps influencing games, who knows...?

Next month, we have the big derby vs Celta Vigo. I'm hoping to register our first away win in the other games and win this derby. We need to turn around what was a poor month on all fronts. We have some injuries, though, so it won't be a walk in the park. Until next time!

Really nice man! I send my good luck to you and Deportivo de La Coruña, the story looks really nice so far

November 2015 - Derby Day!

November 2015 - our best month yet!

View attachment 993079
After last month, I endeavoured to make some tactical changes as I expressed. We switched to a more rigid system, disregarding possession and trying to just maximise our clinical nature in attack and solidity in defence. It worked a treat this month, in particular the final two games. I dropped a handful of players to bring some freshness to the squad. Without further ado, the results:

As you can see, we won the derby against Celta Vigo and our first away game of the season! Our first result of the month was painful but the tactics and fresh faces clicked soon after. Let's take a look at that Levante game:

Teams may have heaps of shots against us, but very few are ever on target. We defend excellently and restrict teams to long range shots. This was a case in study. After going a goal down, Jonathan Rodriguez single-handedly turned the game around. I was going to drop him for Riera but gave him a stern talking to for this game - if he didn't score, it'd be his last game for a while... but he exceeded expectations. He scored a beauty from outside of the box and then a slaloming run saw him win a penalty which Borges converted. Much to our frustration, and on the brink of winning our first away game, Arribas conceded an own-goal. He would be the first casualty of the month, warranting a berth on the bench for the forthcoming derby. Possession could have been better, but we don't value that much anymore. It's just about raw results until I have the players to control games. Right now, we are an explosive team with great attacking transitions - I want to exploit that.

The derby...

The type of result where you punch the air with delight. As a fan, this fixture means a lot to me... and that does not change in-game. Seeing Aspas and Nolito reduced to speculative, long-range shots was hilarious. We defended our backsides off after going a goal up and did not give them an inch in our third. Lucas - who supports the club and grew up sitting with the ultras as a kid - scored the winner. It couldn't have gone to any other player, could it? The goal came after Jonathan Rodriguez was tackled in the box; the ricochet made the ball land in Lucas' path and he proceeded to smash it past Sergio. Our first win in 5 games. My first victory (of many, I hope) against Celta.

After that Celta game, I was rewarded with this:

Las Palmas away...

I told myself that, if we do not win this game, then something has got to give. Our first away win HAD to come from this fixture. Las Palmas were bottom of the league and harbouring several injuries. Thankfully, we got our win. Medunjanin - on his first start of the season - opened the scoring with a penalty. Manu's blunder (another one) led to Araujo equalising for Las Palmas. I convinced myself we were going to struggle again... and we did, but the clinical nature of our attack pulled us through. Jonathan Rodriguez scored early in the second half, receiving a nice cross from Medunjanin in the process. Our Uruguayan striker then crossed the ball into Alejandro Arribas to seal the deal and the three points. Far from convincing, but we're not Barcelona or Real Madrid. We'll take the points where we can.

The league table...

Lookin' comfy!

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 204649

He scored twice and assisted twice in the games in between the Celta one. Against Celta, it didn't register as his assist but the run into the box is what led to our winner. After warning him for his form, I could not have asked for a better turnaround. He's showing great potential and has carried us out of some precarious positions this month. I can only hope that he continues to grow.

All in all, this was an exciting month. We had two fantastic results and, if not for an own-goal, would have picked up three wins in a row. I am still figuring out who to start and where, as we have quite a big squad in midfield. You may have noticed that I am involving Dominguez and Medunjainin fairly regularly now. They are part of my trial and error-ing. Next month, we play our first Copa del Rey fixture and Barcelona away from home! 'Til next time!

Really enjoying reading this story. Can't wait to see what you can achieve :D

December, 2015 - Copa del Rey and fixture congestion

December, 2015 - Copa del Rey and fixture congestion

View attachment 993169

First off, the Barcelona game does not feature this month as it was postponed due to the Copa del Rey. Moving on, this was an OK month. We had a few tough games and had to rotate heavily to preserve fitness but ensure that we also advance in the Copa. I want a nice run in the cup this season. We haven't won a major trophy since 2002 and I want to end that soon - although this season is way too soon! Anyhow, before we look at the results, some things have happened:

I agreed to sell Lux in the summer but the deal was postponed until the Argentinian transfer window re-opened. He has now joined his boyhood club. We picked up 240k for him. Lux was on the wrong side of 30, not registered for league games and his stats declined hugely. He was a great servant for the club, so things ended on good terms. I wish him luck at Lanús. We have Fabricio as first-choice with Manu Fernandez playing as back-up. Both are much younger than Lux and better.

Now, onto the important stuff: the results...

Those with keen eyes would have realised that we're through to the next round of the Copa! Only one loss this month and it came to league leaders Sevilla. Without spoiling much, let's take a look at the results in depth:

In my defence, I made 11 full changes to the side. I got cocky and assumed we could win even with a complete second string XI, but I was wrong. They were the better side but, thankfully, we defended well and Jonas' goal before half-time helped us over the line. A draw is OK, we get an away goal for the second leg. I was mightily impressed with Fayçal Fajr once again. He assisted Jonas' goal and created a few other chances. He's starting to become a favourite of mine.

Sevilla at home...

Can't do much against the league leaders. They were dominant, but I'm chuffed with the defensive actions of my side. Navarro helped nullify most of their threatening attacks. Despite the loss, I was happy with what I saw. Fabricio saved a penalty, too. We frustrated them and that's all I could have asked for. Our first and only loss of the month.

Ponferradina second-leg...

We're through to the next round! Ponferradina were not push overs in the slightest. They made it hard to be broken down and, for a while, this looked like going to extra-time. Fede opened the scoring early on, chesting down a gorgeous cross from Fajr. I was hoping to storm the game after that, but we kept missing chances. Early in the second half, they scored from a defensive lapse courtesy of Navarro. We then switched to a counter-attacking style after I realised that they were struggling against my pace. I changed the tempo, pushed full-backs forward and derailed them. Jonathan went on a solo run to make it 2-1 and then latched onto a long ball from Fajr to kill the game off late on. Far from convincing, but these second division sides are always tough to crack down.

Here's who we drew in the Copa 5th round:

Eibar at home...

This game, I fell in love with Oriol Riera. If I'm honest, I've outcasted him this season. He's barely featured because I find him to be really inconsistent. But he won me over. This was a cagey match, with both sides seeing possession swing like a pendulum. Shots were similar, as was the foul count. When we were gifted a penalty early on, it was the perfect chance to grab a hold of the game; set-pieces were always going to make a difference... but Juan Dominguez blasted it over the bar. Things seemed destined for a drab 0-0 draw until Verdi rose above Lopo to knock in a header from a corner. It was demoralising - I didn't want to lose to a team in 17th place. We need to get points in these games. Cometh the man, cometh the hour... we switched to overload, floated crosses, hit early crosses and went route one. I wanted to play to Riera's strengths and, boy, did it pay off. One huge cross from Fede and one sumptuous bicycle kick from the towering striker gave us an equaliser in the final minute of the game. Seeing someone that big produce a bicycle kick was astounding. He instantly won a place in my heart. Don Oriol Riera. Our Lord and Saviour.

Getafe away...

My two darlings combined to deliver us a victory, but let's chronicle the early incidents first. We dominated Getafe, but this was a game clouded by awful defensive errors and heaps of horror tackles from their behalf. After 30 minutes, they were already down to ten. We pushed forward via Fede who beat two defenders, smashed a low cross into the box and had it turned in by Getafe defender Emiliano Velazquez. But, you know what they say: don't laugh at the misfortunes of others. As the half ended, we looked superior and in better stead to win. Our Moroccan assists machine, Fajr, stormed into the Getafe box and won a penalty. Step up our new cult hero, Riera, to effortlessly PUNT the ball in and deliver us the three points. Again, he saves us. That's not to say we didn't struggle for the remainder of the game: the footballing Gods decided to place an own goal against us. Our only summer signing, Deivid (who has been outstanding this season), headed the ball past Fabricio in an attempt to clear it. The saddest thing? HE HAD JUST COME ON! We rode the storm and preserved our three points. Riera's three points. I may as well give him my job. What a man. What a hero.

Here's the league table:

10th with a game in hand. I'll take that.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 204549
Maybe Fajr deserved it more, but the reason I sided with Riera was because he has completely turned around a dark patch and helped us get four league points from a possible six with his goals. I now have a dilemma between the pacy Jonathan and the towering Riera. Having said that, it's healthy competition. It's good to have two strikers firing on all cylinders.

Next month is January, where some ins and outs may or may not be revealed. We play another Copa game and Real Madrid (for sure, unless it gets postponed too). We're starting to decide on who is the best player in each position now that the tactics are solid and churning out results. I have a good feeling about the second half of the season! Forza Depor!

Cracking story mate - fingers crossed you can push on and finish in a European qualification spot!