Just read this whole thread , as I've just started my own deportivo save with the latest update on , so the players ratings are slightly different to yours , but just wanted to say enjoyed reading this and it's given me a good guideline for my save ! I'll keep reading your threads ! Thanks

Just read this whole thread , as I've just started my own deportivo save with the latest update on , so the players ratings are slightly different to yours , but just wanted to say enjoyed reading this and it's given me a good guideline for my save ! I'll keep reading your threads ! Thanks

Thank you! Enjoy managing Depor!

I think picking a big club that fell within the save would be the best choice among those two, as the one that's more different from any. Though picking a completely new save with another team can also have its interest.

I also vote for it to be a team in some other country.

Your wish may be granted very soon ;)

OKAY GUYS, THIS IS IMPORTANT. CHOOSE BETWEEN EITHER ONE OF THESE

- I resigned at Depor and took over at Second Division side Leganes. They're the only professional football club in Madrid to have never played top tier football in over 90 years of existence (on my save). The plan is to take them to La Liga and eventually win it.

- I ended the Depor save and started afresh at Leeds United back in 2015. Reviving a fallen giant v2. Plan is to take them back to the top division and eventually win it, a la Depor.

With the Leganes save, I'd continue it in this thread. Leeds, I'd start a new one.

Let me know which save you guys would prefer - I'm exactly one month into both and ready to start typing up some stories!

Wow those both sound really good... Whichever you choose I'll happily follow. And of course FORZA DEPOR!

*bah* Leganés *bah*

Feel like I'm turning into a sheep...

THE END OF ONE ERA, THE BEGINNING OF ANOTHER (July, 2022)

And so it comes to an end. After 10 trophies in seven years, I have resigned at Deportivo.

It's a sad time, but we leave with a lot of love for the club having achieved absolutely everything possible! There are challenges elsewhere awaiting!

Just look at that beautiful trophy cabinet. Absolutely stacked. I'm so proud of the club whenever I look at that. But seriously now, it's time to say goodbye!

We weren't without options immediately after resigning. I was so very close to accepting the Spain job. That's a dream role, but maybe further down the line for me. Right now, club football is still where my sights are set on.

Nice offer, but no thanks. We want to be challenged - we want to make history with another club.

Hmm, this looks interesting...

Hopefully this goes well...

And there it is! Our new club is second division side Leganés!
Why did I gravitate toward them? Simple. They're the only professional football club in Madrid (of which there are many) who have NEVER played in the top tier of Spanish football. The plan is to get them to La Liga and gradually become the best club in Madrid. But Leganés are far from a perfect side and their squad is somewhat poor for an overall promotion push in the first season. They want me to finish midtable - I'd like to push for the play-offs. We'll see what happens.

This is what we're working with right now. The depth is a bit weak. We need a better goalkeeper, some rotation options at full-back and definitely a couple of inside-forwards to align with our tactics. With a budget of 550k, this is more than we were given at Depor in the first two years!

View attachment 167087
Arencibia here is the best centre-back at the club. His stats are quite good for a second division player and, if we are to build a decisive defence, he will be the beating heart of it all.

Cano is the technician in midfield - and our best player in the position, too. His ability to play as an advanced playmaker and deep-lying playmaker means that he is indispensable to this club. I will likely build the midfield around him.

Chuma is not only the best attacker - with stats that could see him easily play in La Liga - but he's also the best player at the club. As soon as I joined, he was the first player who was brought to my attention. His release clause was close to being triggered by a few La Liga clubs. I tried my luck and was able to get him to renew, bumping his clause up to 3.8m.

There it is. Glad to have tied him down. Any successes we have this season will be bred from his goals; I just know it.

As you guys know, this squad is weak. I had some money, so here are the signings I made:

Just under half of our budget is blown on Ale. This inside-forward is someone we needed desperately to ensure that the tactic I deploy will not fall flat because of ineffective attackers on the flanks.

He's a very good AML who can also play in central areas, if needs be. His stats suit us and will definitely allow us to attack with more fluidity.

Nadjib is another winger, proficient in the role of inside-forward. He's the more promising of the two signings and arrives on a free, having just been released by Alcoyano.

Nadjib's preferred role is inside-forward, so I know he'll be playing with comfort and strong understanding of the role. His dribbling, crossing and finishing will play a key part in how far we get this season. I'm quite excited over the prospect of Nadjib and Ale flanking Chuma.

Improvements were needed in goal. Our main 'keeper is out for a couple of months so the next in line is a 20-year-old. We can't be having that. Therefore, Luca Zidane arrives on a free. He is the son of footballing legend Zinedine, but blessed with a pair of gloves than pure technicality! I'm happy to have picked him up on a free.

He looks like a decent goalkeeper who can perform at a good level and eventually shift into second choice if we get promoted. Always have to think about the future when securing free agents.

We were in dire need of a left-back who could operate as a wing-back (A) which is an integral part of how my teams play. We had only one natural left-back, aged 20, and then two players who could play there at a competent level. That was not good enough. Matos was available on a free, so we swept in.

An upgrade on the others and a fairly good pick-up on a free transfer. It's the most we can do with this limited scouting and budget. I like this, though. It's all part of the challenge. It'll be a while until we see the Iturbe's and Halilovic's at Leganés!

Our strongest XI, according to the game. That is how we line up with the correct player roles. Funny story: that defensive-midfielder, Samuel Piette? He is someone who I never ended up renewing at Deportivo! He left in 2017 after a few unsuccessful loan spells. He's loved here at Leganés with over 175 games under his belt. I'm excited to see how he anchors the midfield - he looks quite good. I just hope he doesn't hate me!

That's how pre-season went. I joined in July, meaning that the first two losses were not on my watch. Under my tutelage, we lost only one game in for: scoring 13 goals and conceding just one. We have La Liga Levante a strong game despite the loss which has excited me for this upcoming season. Leganés are far from great, so it will take a while to hit a positive stride with them. But I'm relishing that. I was growing tired at the lack of challenges at Depor towards the end of my tenure.

I was able to extend second choice striker, Buenacasa, by an extra year. I really like the look of him and think he could play a big part this season. Also, his name directly translates to "good house" in English. He already has cult hero status!

And that's the end of my introduction at Leganés. Next month, we begin the season. It will be a long season, with early entry in the Copa plus an extra 4 league games than what we're used to. 3 league games await us next month and I look forward to leaving a good impression as Leganés manager. After all, who drops down a division after winning back-to-back Champions League titles? We mean business!

August 2022 - My first month in charge at Leganés

My first month at Leganés begins here. My plan is to get them to La Liga - where they have never played - and eventually become the best team in Madrid. It will take many years of hard graft, but we'll certainly get there.

A phenomenal start to our league campaign, remaining unbeaten through 3 extremely tough games played within the space of 6 days.

Racing away...

This had 'draw' written all over it but never once looked like any goals would be scored. Both sides were wasteful and kept having their shots blocked. We attempted a more direct game but never looked like scoring. In the 81st minute, we struck lucky: Tekio raced down the right wing and lifted a cross into the path of new signing Nadjib who rocketed it past the goalkeeper. With that slice of luck, I was hoping this would end in victory. Unfortunately, 5 minutes later, Racing equalised. And so it ended 1-1. Not a memorable start to my reign at Leganés but I saw some positives: attacking fluidity and midfield control.

Eibar at home...

Make no mistake about it, this is a result of huge importance. Eibar are new to the second division having been relegated while I was at Depor. They're favourites to win the title and gain promotion. So, therefore, this victory says a lot about our quality. We blew Eibar off the pitch with impeccable attacking quality. Eibar actually opened the scoring after a tight first-half saw both sides rendered useless. Minutes into the 2nd half, their goal arrived. Right there, I was expecting to struggle just because of the gulf in quality between the two sides. But my boys stepped it up beautifully. We switched to a more direct style in order to avoid getting marked out of the game. 2 minutes later, Chuma scored his first (of many this season, I should hope) with an excellent header from a Matos cross. 22 minutes later, the super striker was at it again. This time, he was applying a fine side-footed finish to Cano's exquisite through ball. Just like that, with 18 minutes to go, we were 2-1 up against the strongest side in the league. But we were not done yet. Just two minutes after Chuma had scored - and been subbed off - his replacement, Buenacasa, latched onto a poor back-pass to make it 3-1 and secure the victory. The two goal scorers today are our main strikers, and I assume any successes we have will be largely down to their prolificacy.

Hercules away...

This was a game of utterly high finishing quality. In fact, we only had three shots on target - all of which culminated in goals. It was actually a very tight game with both sides in a constant hustle for possession in midfield. But we backed up our quality with goals, whereas Hercules were shut out by our excellent defensive performance. In the space of 28 minutes, we were already 2-0 up. Youth prospect, Saul Garcia, scored his first goal for the club when he headed in Ale's corner. Garcia then turned provider when his short pass was met by Milla who rifled a shot past the goalkeeper from just outside the box. Then, shortly after the 2nd half had commenced, we wrapped up the three points. Ale stood over a long-range free-kick and blasted it past the goalkeeper. This guy is quite special from set-pieces, it seems. This display of clinical nature in the final third delivered us 3 very good points indeed. I have a good feeling about this squad.

Deadline day business:

We only had one natural right-back (Tekio) who is aged 32 and simply will not be able to play every single game of the season. The other choice was shifting our main centre-back to that position - where he can competently play - but that would mean weakening our central defence. I decided to splash the remaining 110k on Expósito. He's 31 but is natural as an attacking wing-back which, ultimately, means he aligns well with our tactics and could offer a lot from the right-hand side. He was the best player available and I could see him having a positive impact when called upon (he's only 2nd choice).

He's not the greatest defensively, but he more than makes up for it with those attacking stats. For a second choice, I'm delighted to have picked him up for that price. Adds much needed depth to a very thin defence. Now, I'm definitely happy with how the squad looks.

345k spent, but it was much needed. Leganés' squad was far too weak and lacking in numbers to succeed. I'm happy with the reinforcements. We strengthened the wings greatly, mainly because that's our focus and where many of our goals come from. I built the team that best suits my tactics and ideologies.

The board want us to finish mid-table but I really think this squad could reach the play-offs. I'm not promising promotion in the first season but we'll see what happens.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 166488
This kid looks so promising. Already one of the highest valued players at the club. I want him to flourish and become my new Corredera! I'm already training him in a deeper, AP(S) role. I have high hopes for what he could become with a lot of minutes.

Next month, a bucket load of games ensues. We play in the Copa del Rey 2nd round and a bunch of league games too. It should be a month where we learn a lot more about this squad. See you then!

Belated congratulations on Deportivo's last 2 seasons.

What's the financial situation with Leganes ? Do you reckon you can transform them into a Spanish powerhouse faster than Deportivo ?

I really liked the Depor who played in the Champions League!

Only on page 10 at the moment but loving this story already, got a lot of catching up to do.

Also I see you've moved clubs too so look forward to seeing how that plays out. Keep up the good work.