View attachment 922765
Hayley McQueen - "Breaking news here on Sky Sports and it concerns Southampton football club. The Saints have sold two players today with Gaston Ramirez joining Hoffenheim for a fee in the region of £9 million and Emmanuel Mayuka joining local rivals Bournemouth for a further £1 million. Southampton wish to place on record their gratitude for the service these players have provided and wish them well for the future."

View attachment 238038
Mike Wedderburn - "Well today has certainly been a very busy day for Southampton as we hear breaking news coming in from St Marys is that they have signed two players, Virgil Van Dijk from Scottish champions Celtic and Foday Nabay from championship side Fulham."

Millie Clode - "It is understood that Van Dijk has joined for a fee in the region of £6.5 million and has signed a four year contract with the club, while youngster Nabay will join up with the development squad and has signed for a fee of £400,000."

Things were starting to fall into place nicely. In Van Dijk we had purchased a strong, pacey centre back with good instincts and champions league experience with Celtic. At only 23 years old he has room for improvement and a decent potential re-sale value and he seems the perfect choice to slot in alongside Fonte in the centre of defence.

View attachment 238037
Foday Nabay was a deal that was pushed through by Director of Football Les Reed. I did get the final say on the transfer and when I saw the bargain price of £400,000 I decided to go for it. Foday has a lot of potential but is nowhere near a first team slot meaning a loan move is the most likely.

View attachment 238036

I sit with my feet up on my desk, my eyes firmly fixed on the tv screen mounted on the wall. It was Europa League draw day for the 3rd qualifying round and I would soon be learning who we would face in our first European adventure in a decade. Jim White was waffling away on sky sports news as the draw was prepared and I couldnt help but take a moment to think about how far I have come already The lads were working well as a unit and seemed settled. Niklas and Virgil seemed to be fitting in perfectly and we are undefeated in pre-season.

The draw starts as the UEFA officials draw the marked balls out of the pot torturously slowly. Number 9!! that was us!! but who are we playing!! wait... who?

View attachment 237948
A quick google on my phone shows that we are going to be facing a trip to Austria, lovely country, not too far, could be a lot worse.

My phone pings for an incoming text message and I look down at the screen to see a single text from Les Reed compromising of five words "Number one target available, proceed?" I snatched my phone up and sent perhaps the quickest text of my life...
"do it".

View attachment 922970
Austin becomes a Saint

View attachment 237947

Southampton have today confirmed the signing of Charlie Austin for a reported fee of £12 million. Austin, 25, becomes Southamptons fourth signing of the summer and has penned a five year contract at the club. Interest in Austin has been extremely high after the former QPR hitman notched 18 goals for his side last season but Southampton forced their way to the front of the pile and have pulled off a transfer that is widely considered a coup.

"As soon as I heard of Southampton's interest in me I knew where I wanted to be. They are a big club with a great fan base and are playing European football, I cant wait to get started!" Said Austin at his unveiling at St Mary's stadium this morning. "Everybody has made me feel so welcome"

Saints manager Rickie Lambert paid testament to Austin "Charlie is a fantastic talent, at a good age and with a bright bright future ahead of him. He has recently made his England debut and I believe he can go as far as he wants in the game"

View attachment 237946

Last edited:
Pre Season so far

Well if pre season is anything to go by, this managerial lark is easy. What a start for this promising young team, albeit against easy opposition but I am very pleased indeed with our start.

Ferencvaros 1 - 3 Southampton

Our first pre season game saw us travel to Turkey for a match against Ferencvaros. A very good performance saw us gain the majority of possession and far more shots on goal and James Ward-Prowse and Sadio Mane put in glittering performances to see us home easily.

Wolves 1 - 3 Southampton
View attachment 237943
A lucky escape at Molineux as we were completely outplayed by a good Wolves team but somehow came away with the victory. An own goal and a penalty were enough to see us squeak through but a massive shout out to Jack Stephens who absolutely dominated his centre back position, coming up with a match rating of 8.8, easily the man of the match and almost single handedly earning us a win to keep momentum on our side.

Birmingham 1 - 3 Southampton
View attachment 237942
While in the area we organised to play a friendly at St. Andrews against Birmingham City. A much improved performance saw us run out again the victors by seemingly our favourite scoreline, 3-1. Dominating both possession and chances, the show was once again run by Sadio Mane on the left wing.

Salisbury 0 - 2 Southampton

View attachment 237941
A dominant performance ended in a flattering scoreline for Salisbury. We saw 68% possession of the ball and created 30 chances to their 2 but we could only net the two past their sensational goalkeeper. Very happy with the way we played but no so much with the result, more work to do!

[video=youtube;LucsBFb-mXU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LucsBFb-mXU[/video]

It was game time, my first competitive match in charge of Southampton and what a match it was, in front of a packed St Mary's facing off against Austrian side SKN St. Polten in the Europa League 3rd qualifying round. A match on paper that we should win easily but I didnt want to take any chances. I made my way into the changing room to let the lads know who would be playing that night.

View attachment 237939

The full time whistle blows! I rise from my seat in the technical area and shake hands with my opposite manager, trying my best to hide the massive grin on my face. 3-0!! a great result at home, keeping a clean sheet to avoid any nasty away goals, and my faith in Charlie Austin paying off immediately with a clinical debut goal! what a start for the lads!

View attachment 237938

View attachment 237937

Man of the match

James Ward-Prowse - A goal and an assist are well deserved for a dominant performance on the right wing​

View attachment 237936

I walk out onto the pitch, grinning from ear to ear, stopping to embrace a few of the lads who had worked their socks off on the pitch. I made sure to go over and applaud the fans that had given me such a warm return.

[video=youtube;wU2mXf4vIFc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU2mXf4vIFc[/video]​

Finishing off pre-season

Southampton 2 - 1 Trabzonspor

View attachment 237920
Next up for us was a visit from Turkish side Trabzonspor. This would definitely be interesting challenge and a slightly higher class in competition. The game could not have started better, with new boy Charlie Austin scoring two in 5 minutes to leave us 2-0 up within quarter of an hour. From there we seemed to lose a bit of our swagger and closed the first half out. The 2nd half was a different story, we really struggled and were a bit fortunate that Trabzonspor only got the one and we finished the match 2-1 victors. Thankfully the injury to Niklas Stark was only superficial and wont be a problem.

SKN St. Polten (0) 0 - 2 (5) Southampton

View attachment 237919
And so it was time for the return leg of our Europa League 3rd round qualifier and after a very nervy start where Virgil Van Dijk gave away a penalty (which was saved brilliantly by Stekelenburg) we soon settled into the swing of things and returned from Austria with a 2-0 win on the night and a 5-0 win on aggregate. Job done. Graziano Pelle put in a real shift and scored a beauty of a goal which gives me a real selection headache for the first game of the season, Pelle or Austin? Another injury here to Cedric but again luck was on my side and it was nothing to worry about.

Pre-season look back

View attachment 237916
I think overall we can be extremely pleaded with our pre-season, winning every single game and not conceding more than one goal in any of them. Our new players had bedded in nicely with Charlie Austin among the goals and Virgil Van Dijk forming a nice partnership with Jose Fonte.

Player of pre season

Victor Wanyama!
View attachment 237914
Big Vic has been in tremendous form scoring two goals and notching two assists in his last two appearances. He has been the rock in midfield that lets the other players get forward and our defensive record is in no small part down to this fella. An average rating of 8.7 tells you all you need to know. Special mentions too to Ryan Bertrand, James Ward-Prowse and Charlie Austin who have all been terrific as well.

Looking ahead to the rest of August
View attachment 237910
A really tough start to the season here with Liverpool on the opening day and then big matches against Crystal Palace and newly promoted Norwich, both two days after our Europa League 4th qualifying round matches. This is where a big squad and plenty of rotation will need to pay off.

There is a knock on my office door and I look up to see who it is

"Jordy! come in! what can I do for you?"

"Hey Gaffer" says Jordy Clasie as he walks into my office and takes a seat "I just got back from my physio session"

"Whats the damage?" I ask, knowing he wouldnt be here if it was good news.

"I could be out for around a month, pulled hamstring"

"F*ck" I mutter under my breath, running my hand through my hair "Ok Jordy.. not to worry, just concentrate on getting yourself better yeah? dont go overdoing things.. your place in the team will be there when you get back"

View attachment 237909

View attachment 923070

Southampton draw Videoton in Europa League

View attachment 237901
Southampton have drawn Hungarian side Videoton in the Europa League 4th qualifying round with the home leg to be played at the Sostoi Stadion in Hungary on the 21st of August with the return leg at St Marys on the 28th. A win for Southampton could see them into the group stages of a European competition for the first time in the new reformatted competition.

Pre match interview
View attachment 237896
Ed Chamberlain - "Hi Rickie, thanks for your time. This must be a very surreal experience for you, preparing to lead your Southampton team against your former and boyhood club Liverpool, can you put it into words?"

Me - "No, I dont think so, less than two months ago I was a player on Liverpool's books, having signed from Southampton and now I'm back at Southampton as manager, facing Liverpool, its ridiculous really, but football has a funny way of working out like that"

Ed Chamberlain - "You've seen your team win everything so far in pre-season, how much momentum does that give you coming into the season? does it mean anything?"

Me - "In a way, the momentum that pre-season generates is amazing, we play a lot of games, very close together and when you start picking up wins and things start going well it leads to a very confident team. Is there such a thing as being too confident? possibly.. does that apply to us? No. We know how tough the Premiership is we wont be underestimating the challenge."

Ed Chamberlain - "You obviously know the threat that Liverpool can cause, do you have any specific plans to counter that?"

Me - "I have a few plans up my sleeve" -laughing- "No, we have already had our briefings and our team meeting before we travelled, we know what we have to do."

Ed Chamberlain - "How important is the first game of the season for you. You spoke earlier about momentum, can this game make or break your season?"

Me - "No, I really dont think so.. yes its a big game, but every game of football in the Premier League is a big game. At the end of the day the result that matters is the table after 38 games of football, not after one."

Ed Chamberlain - "Ok, Thanks for your time Rickie, best of luck on Saturday"

So this was it. I stood in the tunnel at Anfield, team sheet in my hand, my suit feeling awkward and uncomfortable as I waited for Brendan Rodgers to exchange team sheets. Jose Fonte stood next to me in his tracksuit, ready to shake hands with Henderson, the opposing skipper.

"Rickie!" came a shout from behind me. I turn around and see Brendan Rodgers smiling at me, team sheet in hand.

"Hey Gaffer, how you doing?" I ask, shaking his hand.

"Not your Gaffer any more Rickie, I cant believe were stood here doing this. Shall we get on with it then?"

I held out my team sheet for him and we exchanged, each glancing down at the opposites team. Brendan gave a tiny nod and then shook my hand again.

"Good luck for the match Rickie, see you out there"

View attachment 237895
Llorente and Benteke were certainly going to be a handful, and Firminio is a player I know almost nothing about. We are going to have to work **** hard for a result from this one.

All of a sudden it was time.. I clapped each of my players on the back as they walked out of the tunnel, getting the odd smile or wink back. They were confident, but was it well placed? I took a deep breath and turned and walked out of the tunnel and into the thunderous arena that is Anfield.

View attachment 237894
I could vaguely hear my name being chanted from somewhere behind me and clapped my hands in recognition but the truth was I was too nervous to enjoy this moment, I walked over and shook hands with Brendan again before taking my seat in the technical area.

The Whistle blew, the crowd roared, the game began.

8 Mins - Van Dijk pushed far too up the pitch and Firminio slotted a perfect through ball for Llorente, who curled into the top corner. 1-0 to Liverpool. work to do.

39 Mins - Sadio Mane tries to hassle Sakho for possession and ends up nudging him over. The referee shows him his 2nd yellow card and he's off! I stood, my arms folded, glaring at him as he storms past without a word and down the tunnel. I whistled and caught Tadic's attention, beckoning him to push wide and take Mane's place on the left.

41 Mins - Fine work from Tadic on the left opens up space for Wanyama. Tadic squares across to him and he spanks a shot from 35 yards which crashes against the cross bar and away. I was on my feet already for that one.. how did that not hit the back of the net.

The whistle blows for half time and I lead the team back into the dressing room, closing the door behind me.

ten minutes later the team are sent back out onto the pitch to wait for 2nd half kick off.

54 Mins - Ryan Bertrand has the ball out on the left flank, half way into the Liverpool half. He looks up for an option and see's Charlie Austin all alone in the box. Bertrand floats an inch perfect cross into the box and Charlie leaps like a salmon. Im up out of my seat, watching, forgetting to breathe. GOAL!!!!! 1-1. Austin wheels away his arm in the air as his header plants into the top corner past the hapless Mignolet.. game on.

62 Mins - Double substitution for Southampton, Jay Rodriguez coming on for James Ward-Prowse, and Niklas Stark coming on to make his debut in place of Steven Davis. I shake each of their hands as they come off and thank them for their efforts.

80 Mins - James Milner has the ball, 30 yards out.. he hits it! it crashes off the bar! Relief! then that feeling of despair. The ball rebounded off the bar, hit the back of the diving Stekelenburg and rolled over the line. 2-1 Liverpool. Its being labelled as a Stekelenburg own goal.

93 Mins - The referee blows the full time whistle and I rise to my feet, walking to the edge of the pitch and clapping my players off. Brendan walks over and we shake hands. It was a defeat.. but a valiant defeat.

View attachment 237891

I was furious with Sadio.. I felt we could have taken something from that game and there were moments in the 2nd half where you could see the open space left by his dismissal. His recklessness cost us dearly. I called him into my office and gave him the hair dryer treatment and an official club warning. He accepted this with good grace and admitted his mistakes. He had already apologised to all of his team mates so I decided that was to be the end of it and sent him for the day.

View attachment 237888

Videoton 2 - 2 Southampton

View attachment 237886

Another really disappointing result for us. 2-0 up at half time only to have a lousy 2nd half and let it slip. Still, two away goals to take back to St Mary's and I am still confident the boys can get the job done. Sadio Mane made good on his sending off by claiming both assists and Charlie Austin continued his fine work by claiming another goal to keep his 100% scoring record. Given the dominance in possession and in terms of shots I feel we should have performed much better in this game.. 18 shots off target!? I'm going to be needing a few words with some players.

Our next match saw me meet up with an old friend, Alan Pardew, the man who signed me for Southampton. It was starting to get to the stage now where we needed a win just for morale and confidence but Crystal Palace were going to be a tough nut to crack. Mane was suspended after his sending off against Liverpool, Clasie was still out injured and Maya Yoshida had picked up a Sports Hernia and was going to be out for 5-6 weeks.

View attachment 237885
Bearing this in mind, In came Juanmi to make his full debut, replacing Sadio Mane, while Ward-Prowse regained his starting spot on the right, replacing Jay Rodriguez. Charlie Austin continued up front and Steven Davis replaced the fatigued Harrison Reed to partner Victor Wanyama.

Southampton 0 - 0 Crystal Palace

View attachment 237867

A very frustrating match given our domination of the match but definitely an improvement in our play and plenty of chances created. Our first point in the Premier League as well. An 8.6 rated, man of the match performance from Alex McCarthy in the Crystal Palace goal was all that stood between us and our first win.

Southampton ( 6) 4 - 1 (3) Videoton

View attachment 237860
This was a game that really needed to be won, and won convincingly. After the opening nerves died down we went on to dominate the game and got some key names on the score sheet like Pelle and Tadic. Ward-Prowse showed some signs of returning to the pre-season form that was so impressive and Sadio Mane demonstrated just how important he is to us by scoring one and assisting one to continue his fine form.

Directly after the match the draw for the Capital One Cup 3rd round took place and we ended up being drawn against West Bromwich Albion.

View attachment 237859

I sat at my desk, clicking through my emails and checking up on the latest news in and around the club.

First off (and a massive relief) Jordy Clasie has resumed full training and will be available for selection, depending on his match fitness levels. This could be a really crucial part of the team as Davis/Reed have failed to make the position their own.

View attachment 237858
Virgil Van Dijk has picked up an automatic one match ban from European competition after picking up his third yellow card of the year.

And most importantly the draw for the Europa League group stages have been made...

View attachment 237857
Celtic and Sporting would prove to be challenging matches but the draw could have been a lot worse! Portugal, Finland and Scotland is reasonably kind when looking at how far we have to travel and I think realistically we need to look at qualifying from the group.

Norwich 3 - 1 Southampton

View attachment 237855

A truly abysmal performance has set the fans off muttering about our current form, and they are quite right, its not good enough. A bright start soon faded as we were left chasing shadows for most of the game. The scoreline flatters Norwich slightly as it was 1-0 up until the 80th minute when we were on overload and chasing the game. The one bright spark was Charlie Austins wonder goal from 35 yards but that served as little consolation on a miserable day for Southampton.
Results
View attachment 237852

League Table
View attachment 237851

Player of the month
View attachment 237853
A slightly strange choice this month, but Ryan Bertrand claims my player of the month award. He has been consistent and hard to get past on the left side of defence, with our forward players struggling for consistent form, Ryan slips in to claim his reward.

A look ahead to September
View attachment 237854
We are now desperate to pick up some points in the Premier League and the fixture list isn't too unkind. Morale is starting to drop so I think it is important to treat the Swansea game as the start of our season. We are now qualified for the group stages of the Europa League, giving us more freedom to concentrate on the Premiership. I am definitely looking for some of our senior players to step up and set an example.