Riera hits out at Benitez

Roonaldo

Club Captain
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8574001.stm

I thought Riera was pretty good for them last season. But just as Ryan Babel shows form he doesn't-though he only played two games since January.
This proves Rafa has POOR MAN-MANAGEMENT. Sir Alex Ferguson gets the best out of his players by discipline but also giving them chances like he has done to Nani and Berbatov.
Sunday's match looks to be very fiesty.

Rafa Benitez-what a plonker!!

He's played two games since January because he's been injured a lot. When Riera has played this season he's been really disappointing too (almost as bad as Babel).

To be honest I'm a little suspect of the article which these quotes originated anyway.

So please, stop ******* Ferguson.

Last edited:
I hope he doesn't leave :'(

I think this could be the media taking things too far again.

What does publically critisising your manager achieve?!

What does publically critisising your manager achieve?!

In the full article he talks about a move to Russia, as it's the only transfer window left open.

This proves Rafa has POOR MAN-MANAGEMENT. Sir Alex Ferguson gets the best out of his players by discipline but also giving them chances like he has done to Nani and Berbatov.

McGrath, Whiteside, Strachan, Beckham, Stam, Van Nistlehorse, Heinze, Tevez etc. etc. would all disagree with you. Players not playing sometimes spit their dummies out. Part of football, happens to all managers at one time or another.

Riera is rightly not playing at the moment because he's been **** this season - now he's worried that the place in the Spanish squad (which he cemented because of the manager he's now whining about) will be under threat. He wants out of Liverpool. Sooner the better after this outburst as it doesn't look like he's been misquoted.

'Rafa sucks at man-management because Keane didn't play every match and spent time on the bench'
'Harry Redknapp's great at man-management because Keane played even less than at Liverpool and then got sent up to Scotland on loan.'
'Rafa's incompetent because of zonal marking and Liverpool concede from corners against taller teams'
'O'Neill's a genius because Aston Villa are challenging for fourth spot because they use zonal marking at corners and concede few and score most of their goals from set-pieces as they have a tall squad'.

Mind you, Rafa's had this kind of criticism since he took over (brief spell of time after winning the CL when he wasn't getting it aside). Most of the main football journalists confess that part of it is because he isn't English (remember how much they wanted the brolly man and 'Curbs' to get the job when Houllier was sacked?) and he doesn't feed them enough easy stories to write.

It's Radio Marca anyway apparently, the Spanish media are worse than ours. Much as I'd like to see Liverpool's squad unsettled, I'd take this with a pinch of salt.

Edit---

So they just had the transcript on SSN, translated obv. Actually seems quite scathing. Not the kind of thing you should come out with when you're still at a club, hardly marginalised, and your club isn't doing too well. Good lad Albert.

Last edited:
Maybe if Riera were to perform when he is given the chance ala Ryan Babel then he would play more often, as for criticising the manager in the media instead of the taking the problem directly to Rafa he hasn't done himself any favours with the manager and the fans. I also agree Rafa has poor man management, if you look at Aquilani and keanes careers at the club you can tell, plus any manager that brings a player of the quality of Antonio Nunez ;) and then plays him in a league cup final needs to be questioned.

Never rated the guy and don't think Liverpool would miss in terms of quality - but would just reduce an already slimline squad.

Lets offload him in the summer and bring in Arda Turan!

Phil McNulty (BBC) - "Riera reckons Rafa "deaf" & Liverpool a sinking ship? Well Albert, your shoddy efforts might just have blown a few holes in the old boat."

Wouldn't mind seeing the back of him although his burst of energy and enthusiasm helped us to 2nd last year. I think Benayoun/Maxi can all cover Babel there who I hope to see starting there more regularly from now on.

Rafa will be at R. Madrid next year anyway, along with Torres.

mourinho for liverpool ?

Large part of the match-going fanbase would be even more upset with the owners (who already give notice if they plan to attend the match so that the police can make arrangements) if Mourinho was the manager. He's the antithesis of how we want our manager to behave.

Rafa will get another season after this one (if it ends up as a complete failure by our standards) before the fans who matter will start letting him know it's time to move on. It's how we do things.

Riera was one of the tips among match-goers to leave in the summer anyways. Apparantly Aquilani may have 'complications' and need another operation on his ankle - hence him not playing. That's scuttlebutt coming from other players at the club - Roma's medical staff really screwed up and he played on it when he should have been having an op and recovering. First op doesn't seem to have done the trick. Just hope he'll recover from a second better than Fowler did :(

Torres WON'T go to Madrid, he hates them with a passion, he is a lifelong Atletico supported, didn't anyone see his determination when we played Madrid in the Champions League? I reckon we should sell Riera, I reckon Eden Hazard would be a great buy but doubt Benitez would go for someone like him.

Rafa will be at R. Madrid next year anyway, along with Torres.
What a stupid thing to say!!! I doubt Benitez will be sacked even and Torres hates Madrid, he will stay next season I reckon, unless Real Madrid bid something massive, which will put them in a bit of financial trouble!
mourinho for liverpool ?
We'll never afford hm and fans will hate his attitude

Never rated the guy and don't think Liverpool would miss in terms of quality - but would just reduce an already slimline squad.
He was amazing for us at the beginning of last year, I remember watching him on MOTD in the 4-1 thrashing of Utd. He was what we lacked: A quality crosser. But now because we don't have Alonso we prefer the 'hoof up the pitch' tactic :) oh well as long as we 4th with it..........

i feel for liverpool abit only beacuse when your team is down the media feel as its their duty to pile on the **** and hatred to the club and i feel it is vile and ugly the way this happens in our so called great footballing country. riera should be sacked simple as that.

Riera has been suspended until Monday apparently, how's that for man management.:wub: