Rio Ferdinand loses privacy case

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 55
  • Views Views 4K
Liking the debate you and joel are having, makes a difference to the hang them at dawn approach we always see.

They can hang non-Villa players at dawn, then we might win something. <3

To answer your point, it isnt just footballers who need to be less stupid, its people in general. We just see it footballers more becuase they are in the public eye

But you'd assume that as the risk of being caught (and even more importantly, the damage associated with being caught) increases people would get more careful about it, surely? It's one thing being the manager of a Tesco and going out and banging a chick; it's quite another when you're a footballer and have millions of pounds worth of endorsements and image rights riding on your image.

They can hang non-Villa players at dawn, then we might win something. <3

But you'd assume that as the risk of being caught (and even more importantly, the damage associated with being caught) increases people would get more careful about it, surely? It's one thing being the manager of a Tesco and going out and banging a chick; it's quite another when you're a footballer and have millions of pounds worth of endorsements and image rights riding on your image.

Oh for sure, but sometimes things happen, you **** up and make a mistake. We're human, mistakes are in our nature. Off out, continue this tomorrow when i'm feeling hungover and sorry for myself

You're not condoning him having an affair, yet you seem to be claiming that the only way he can have a relationship without forking over half his worldly possessions is... having an affair. Frank Lampard (who is a cut above your average mong of a footballer, intelligence wise) is going out with Christine Bleakley: they're not married, and neither are having affairs. If footballers were just a bit less stupid then they wouldn't need to hand over their money or risk the tabloids splashing their cheating all over the front pages. If they actually thought with their brains rather than their dicks most of this could be avoided.

Admittedly, it is a hard situation. Most of the possible women they could meet only want to marry them so they can get their hands on the money, but hey. If they tried harder to sort out the golddiggers from the rest, then they could actually make a decision, maybe enter a relationship with a woman they like rather than just jumping on the **** of the nearest one. But no, they're too **** stupid to see that.

I never said they were the brightest bulbs in the box, just that no one ever actually considers both parts of the relationship.

People immediately paint the footballer as scum of the Earth, and usually justify it by the fact they're filthy rich, so should be the epitome of perfection. We don't know any facts about how they met, their feelings for each other when they met, or their feelings for each other currently; if we do know any, they've usually gone through the sensationalist tabloid mill a few times as well, so it's harsh for us as outside observers to pass judgement.

Oh for sure, but sometimes things happen, you **** up and make a mistake. We're human, mistakes are in our nature. Off out, continue this tomorrow when i'm feeling hungover and sorry for myself

But so many make the same mistake! You'd think they'd learn.

Go drink Tirath under the table.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

I never said they were the brightest bulbs in the box, just that no one ever actually considers both parts of the relationship.

People immediately paint the footballer as scum of the Earth, and usually justify it by the fact they're filthy rich, so should be the epitome of perfection. We don't know any facts about how they met, their feelings for each other when they met, or their feelings for each other currently; if we do know any, they've usually gone through the sensationalist tabloid mill a few times as well, so it's harsh for us as outside observers to pass judgement.

I'm not painting them as the scum of the Earth, nor the epitome of perfection. I'm just saying that for people who know that quite a bit of their income relies on endorsements and them remaining scandal-free, they're behaving in a remarkably thick fashion when it comes to relationships.

Regardless of their feelings towards each other, for Rio Ferdinand to go out and cheat on his girlfriend with somebody else is remarkably stupid. So what, maybe Rio feels she doesn't love him? Maybe so, but cheating on her with someone is pretty unhelpful. If their marriage has broken down to that extent, get a divorce and learn from the experience, don't just pretend it doesn't exist.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

I'm not painting them as the scum of the Earth, nor the epitome of perfection. I'm just saying that for people who know that quite a bit of their income relies on endorsements and them remaining scandal-free, they're behaving in a remarkably thick fashion when it comes to relationships.

Regardless of their feelings towards each other, for Rio Ferdinand to go out and cheat on his girlfriend with somebody else is remarkably stupid. So what, maybe Rio feels she doesn't love him? Maybe so, but cheating on her with someone is pretty unhelpful. If their marriage has broken down to that extent, get a divorce and learn from the experience, don't just pretend it doesn't exist.

I didn't say you were painting them as that. :)

It is pretty stupid, but it's pretty stupid to marry people for money too, and that's all too common as well. And I wouldn't be so keen going through a high profile divorce, losing half of my assets to someone who didn't help earn a penny of it, especially when my career is beginning to close out so image deals can begin to be taken out of the equation as well. But again, I'm not saying it's a good idea or the right thing to do, nor am I saying Rio's relationship is like that, just there's a rational justification in certain cases. We have no idea what it's like in people's relationships, behind closed doors people could hate each other, the guy could have been pining for a divorce, while the wife refuses to separate amicably. We don't know scenarios like that exist when this happens, but we don't know that they don't either, so I dislike immediately calling the man the villain and woman the victim before at least some facts are available.

I didn't say you were painting them as that. :)

I didn't say you said I was painting them as that. :)

It is pretty stupid, but it's pretty stupid to marry people for money too, and that's all too common as well. And I wouldn't be so keen going through a high profile divorce, losing half of my assets to someone who didn't help earn a penny of it, especially when my career is beginning to close out so image deals can begin to be taken out of the equation as well. But again, I'm not saying it's a good idea or the right thing to do, nor am I saying Rio's relationship is like that, just there's a rational justification in certain cases. We have no idea what it's like in people's relationships, behind closed doors people could hate each other, the guy could have been pining for a divorce, while the wife refuses to separate amicably. We don't know scenarios like that exist when this happens, but we don't know that they don't either, so I dislike immediately calling the man the villain and woman the victim before at least some facts are available.

Of course it's stupid to marry people for money, just as it's stupid to marry someone purely on the basis of her being quite hot. I'd far rather go through a high profile divorce and lose half my assets to someone who didn't help earn a penny of it than cheat, get caught, lose loads through endorsements, lose the respect of my peers and fans and become somewhat of a pariah. I just cannot fathom a situation where cheating is a preferable circumstance to having a divorce and starting anew.

As I said earlier, I have little sympathy for both participants in the kind of manufactured relationships that footballers seem to have nowadays. Frankly, if they're unhappy, neither have reason to be: he married her because she's fit, she married him because he's rich. If neither of them lose those attributes then they have no excuse to be unhappy. Obviously I'm wildly generalising, but most of the scandals that happen in football nowadays happen in exactly those kinds of relationships. When something like this happens, I'm not calling the man the villain and the woman the victim, I'm calling them both very naive, at best.

Ashley Cole spends half his England career getting booed..... because he cheated on Cheryl Cole

There is something very wrong with this nation

Its an absolute joke, trying not to be bias here but i think Cole has been the best left back maybe even full back to ever wear the England shirt and he gets treated like ****.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

To be fair to the wife....it's not like Rio is some kind of *** symbol either lol. :D

But yeah, looks like a woman who does a job in the kitchen, but not sure about the bedroom.

But something is wrong with footballers nowdays if banging Cheryl Cole isn't enough to satisfy the needs.

And why is all these cheating cases lately by United? Rooney, Giggs and now Rio. Coincidence?

Im gutted, Chelsea can't even win this one. We was 2-0 up with Cole's and Terry's affairs but Utd have gone infront with Rooney, Giggs and Rio's affair. Currently 3-2 to Utd now lol.

Its an absolute joke, trying not to be bias here but i think Cole has been the best left back maybe even full back to ever wear the England shirt and he gets treated like ****.

I can SORT OF understand it when it's domestic, but national? An England left-back being booed by his own supporters?

And people wonder why we don't win any trophies?

Im gutted, Chelsea can't even win this one. We was 2-0 up with Cole's and Terry's affairs but Utd have gone infront with Rooney, Giggs and Rio's affair. Currently 3-2 to Utd now lol.

Quick, someone tell Mikel to get his bone on!

I can SORT OF understand it when it's domestic, but national? An England left-back being booed by his own supporters?

And people wonder why we don't win any trophies?

Quick, someone tell Mikel to get his bone on!

Exacly that mate, i remember an England game i was at once and this isent even related but Lampard hasen't had an affair. Lamps scored a penalty for us to put us 1-0 up and some lads behind me were just booing him just after he had scored??? I voiced my opinion and they didnt like it at all, i nearly left the ground because i was so disgusted. I used to go to all England home games but dont bother anymore because of things like that.

Last edited:
Exacly that mate, i remember an England game i was at once and this isent even related but Lampard hasen't had an affair. Lamps scored a penalty for us to put us 1-0 up and some lads behind me were just booing him just after he had scored??? I voiced my opinion and they didnt like it at all, i nearly left the ground because i was so disgusted. I used to go to all England home games but dont bother anymore because of things like that.

Its ridiculous. Dont get me wrong, i dont condone cheating at all, but at the end of the day, the repercussions will fall on them privately. What ****** me off is that you know that a portion of the people slagging them off will likely have cheated on their partners. As I said before, the hypocrisy is staggering.

And yes I wholeheartedly believe Ashley Cole is one of the best left backs to ever play for england

Yeah nobody considers that he might just be in love with another girl:
Rio Ferdinand's 'ten lovers' named in court | The Sun |News
Maybe sometimes footballers are exactly what people see them for.

And as for cheating being the only other option to giving away their moneys; any self-respecting footballer would have a pre-nup. Which in all honesty is probably the only reason Ryan Giggs is still married.

Although I agree that nobody waits to hear the footballer's (in this case Rio's) story, it obviously wasn't a very good one considering he lost in court. Don't want to get caught cheating, don't get married. By now footballers should know they will be found out and to be honest I have very little sympathy.

At the end of the day I find it funny how people want to give the likes of Rio the benefit of the doubt, they want to hear the story of how he repeatedly accidentally fell into bed with girls but nobody wants to hear Tevez explain himself. I think some people need to look up the term 'hypocrite'.

Last edited:
Yeah nobody considers that he might just be in love with another girl:
Rio Ferdinand's 'ten lovers' named in court | The Sun |News
Maybe sometimes footballers are exactly what people see them for.

And as for cheating being the only other option to giving away their moneys; any self-respecting footballer would have a pre-nup. Which in all honesty is probably the only reason Ryan Giggs is still married.

Although I agree that nobody waits to hear the footballer's (in this case Rio's) story, it obviously wasn't a very good one considering he lost in court. Don't want to get caught cheating, don't get married. By now footballers should know they will be found out and to be honest I have very little sympathy.

At the end of the day I find it funny how people want to give the likes of Rio the benefit of the doubt, they want to hear the story of how he repeatedly accidentally fell into bed with girls but nobody wants to hear Tevez explain himself. I think some people need to look up the term 'hypocrite'.

But we have heard frm Tevez, he said it was a misunderstanding, something that hasnt been substansiated so far by the half a dozen plus people in the dugout

Didnt even have to break stride with Tirath.

Acting like that is stupid, utterly stupid. But what annoys me is the way people think only footballers cheat, or are serial cheats. People in general can be cheats etc. Whatever happens is on them and I dont have any sympathy for them, I just dont get this kangaroo court attitude when its a footballer involved in something

Dont ask Torres, He couldnt even score in a brothel ;)

Back