RIP all the innocent who has died in Connecticut

For people who haven't heard it yet, this is taken from the BBC website:

As many as 27 people have been killed, including many children, in a shooting attack at a primary school in the US state of Connecticut, US media say.

At least 18 children are among the dead at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, the Associated Press reported.
State police spokesman Paul Vance said the gunman died at the scene - but would not confirm the number of deaths.
If confirmed, Newtown would be the second-deadliest US shooting, after 32 people died at Virginia Tech in 2007.
Friday's shooting is the third major shooting in the US in 2012.
In July attack that killed 12 people at a premiere of a Batman film in Aurora, Colorado. In August six people died at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin.

Children's 'eyes covered'

Governor Dannel Malloy is meeting the families of the victims, a spokesman said, and is expected to visit the school later in the day.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters that US President Barack Obama had been informed of the incident and was receiving regular updates.
Sandy Hook School - described by correspondents as a highly rated school has more than 600 students in classes from Kindergarten to 4th Grade - spanning the ages five to 10.
Police arrived at the school soon after 09:40 local time (14:40 GMT), answering reports that a gunman was in the school's main office and one person had "numerous gunshot wounds".
Scores of officers at the scene carried out a full search of the site. Classes were cancelled as the situation developed.
Schools across the district were immediately on lock-down as a preventive measure, officials said.
The shooter has been described as a man in his 20s, dressed in black, with links to the school, a law enforcement official has told the Associated Press.
The official said the gunman used a .223-calibre rifle during the attack, adding that police in the state of New Jersey are investigating a location there in connection to the shooting.
With the death toll rising, it emerged that one entire classroom of students may remain unaccounted for, local sources reported.
Three other people were taken to hospital and are reported to be in "very serious condition", Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton told CNN.
One witness speaking to CNN said that shots were heard coming from the hall. There "must have been 100 rounds" fired, she told the channel.
Local media have reported that firefighters instructed children to close their eyes and run past the school's office as they exited the building.
Other sources suggest that some of the shots were fired in a school classroom.
There were early unconfirmed reports of two shooters, but no further details of a second gunman mentioned by police.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20730717

R.I.P to all those who lost their life, really sad

why does this happen a lot in the usa just madness feel sorry for the famileys who have lost lifes

R.I.P to every one who lost here lifes

It's so close to christmas all children would have been looking forward to it

I don't hate America but fair dos they are the world champions of hypocrisy....

Let's put the blame on the tool!

The person is clearly not responsible

(just thought I'd kick things off)

I went to Hall Garth school in Middlesbrough which had its own tragedy when a nutter walked into a classroom, lined all the girls up against a wall and stabbed them all one by one killing poor Nicky Conroy and badly injuring the others before being wrestled to the ground by 2 teachers. If he'd been able to get hold of a gun it would of been much much worse.

Yes America has more than its fair share of nut cases and psychos, unfortunately the fact remains that gun laws in that country are way too lax, its too easy to buy guns. You can even buy them in the local Walmart (Asda)

You can't totally stop a psycho killing people if that's what they're **** bent on but you can make it as difficult as humanly possible for them to do so.

Last edited:
Give a mad man a gun and he'll do mad things. I'd have sympathy for the country of America if they weren't so stupid to the fact that their outdated law needs changed.

people who are committed for psychiatric treatment are not allowed to purchase weapons (doesn't stop them from stealing). And you have to go through background checks when buying weapons (but you can buy them used from a neighbor w/o that process).

To say it's easy to buy a gun is incorrect. I believe in this particular case, the gun did not even belong to him (believe it was his mothers?)

people who are committed for psychiatric treatment are not allowed to purchase weapons (doesn't stop them from stealing). And you have to go through background checks when buying weapons (but you can buy them used from a neighbor w/o that process).

To say it's easy to buy a gun is incorrect. I believe in this particular case, the gun did not even belong to him (believe it was his mothers?)

I didn't say banning guns would stop gun crime, the idea is to make it as difficult as possible. In Britain handguns are completely banned, you can't legally keep one in your home, although you can keep a shotgun under certain police checks. Maybe if these laws existed in the US then his mother wouldn't of had the gun for him to steal in the first place. Its never going to happen though, Americas obsession with guns is well known through the world, they will never be banned end of story and these tragic senseless massacres will unfortunately keep happening.

Last edited:
I didn't say banning guns would stop gun crime, the idea is to make it as difficult as possible. In Britain handguns are completely banned, you can't legally keep one in your home, although you can keep a shotgun under certain police checks. Maybe if these laws existed in the US then his mother wouldn't of had the gun for him to steal in the first place. Its never going to happen though, Americas obsession with guns is well known through the world, they will never be banned end of story and these tragic senseless massacres will unfortunately keep happening.

I remember watching a guy being interviewed about the aurora shootings and he said "if everyone in that theater had a gun less people would have died". If no one had one there wouldn't have been even a single injury. Sums up the U.S's atitiude to guns really, unfortunately it'll never change

Last edited:
Give a mad man a gun and he'll do mad things. I'd have sympathy for the country of America if they weren't so stupid to the fact that their outdated law needs changed.

Really? Seems to work fine for Switzerland, and they have both one of the highest gun ownership rates per capita and some of the lowest actual gun crime rates.

I remember watching a guy being interviewed about the aurora shootings and he said "if everyone in that theater had a gun less people would have died". If no one had one there wouldn't have been even a single injury. Sums up the U.S's atitiude to guns really, unfortunately it'll never change

The shooter probably would puss out if there was the possibility of getting shot in the face. Alas, these people find soft targets and take out their depression on others before killing themselves. It's a society problem, not a gun one. Gun laws in america used to be more lax and there were less shootings.

What changed? But I'm sure that's too deep of a question for some here (based on my experiences of political/social debate on this forum).

I've said my piece, and I'm not interested in being drug into a myopic debate

The shooter probably would puss out if there was the possibility of getting shot in the face. Alas, these people find soft targets and take out their depression on others before killing themselves. It's a society problem, not a gun one. Gun laws in america used to be more lax and there were less shootings.

What changed? But I'm sure that's too deep of a question for some here (based on my experiences of political/social debate on this forum).

I've said my piece, and I'm not interested in being drug into a myopic debate

It's such an emotive subject, and unfortunately lots of people now see it as a black and white debate when in reality it is anything but. People are willing to cite facts and figures without any real knowledge of the subject.

And as per usual on FB rather than offer sympathies for what happened, people choose to attack Obama saying it's all an act, and his tears are crocodile tears etc etc etc. Thing is-I'm not surprised one jot by that

Thanks again to the ignorant American mentality, they still don't feel that they should make guns illegal. RIP to all the victims, such a tragedy.

Really? Seems to work fine for Switzerland, and they have both one of the highest gun ownership rates per capita and some of the lowest actual gun crime rates.

The mentality in Switzerland and America is completely different. Most people in Switzerland are wealthy and have a good life, when in America it's opposite. Their lifes are often more a fight of survival. The social system is very different to that of the USA. You have to take that in mind. In the USA they are gun *****, while they in the Switzerland can control they desire.

Last edited:
Making guns illegal will not do a thing to stop this happening. People will always find a means to an end to get what they want-by whatever means necessary.

Making guns illegal will not do a thing to stop this happening. People will always find a means to an end to get what they want-by whatever means necessary.
It won't stop it, but it will definitely reduce it. Right now you can walk into a store and buy a gun easily.