Road to Success - A Marco Verratti Story

CalumE5

Luis Suarez!
Reaction score
OK everyone, this is my first attempt at a story, so please don’t be too critical if you don’t like it, and please leave any criticism in the form of a comment. Most importantly though, enjoy the story and don’t forget to comment! So here goes...

Road to Success - A Marco Verratti Story

I ran through the middle of the pitch with the ball not venturing more than a metre away from my feet. I took it past one player, two players, and I kept going until it was just me and the goalie. I kept running, leaned left, taking the goalie with me, until I tapped the ball with the outside of my right boot, allowing me to easily pass the keeper, and slot the ball coolly into the back of the net. I ran over to the corner flag and stopped in front of the fans, who roared their appreciation. Before long, I had the arms of 9 teammates wrapped around me, uttering congratulations in my ears. But today, it was not them or the fans that I was trying to impress. Or even the manager. Today, I was looking to impress the man in the 3rd row of the east stand, a scout from England, who represented a club from the second tier of English football. The club was Cardiff City.

After 72 more minutes of playing football, in which I wrapped up an assist as well as my earlier goal, the final whistle was blown. Pescara 3-1 Portosummaga was the final score. Portosummaga were supposedly title contenders, so that made the result even more special, however, this was in the back of my mind, because I knew that my sole aim today had been to impress the on looking scout, and I believe that I had played one of the best matches of my career, and now I knew there was nothing more that I could do, but wait, and hope that the man watching had seen potential in me. As I walked into the dressing room, the manager gave me a pat on the back and told me I’d done well. He wanted me to stay at the club, but had told me that he would fully support my decision if I wanted to move to a bigger club, and that was the reason that I had so much respect for this man. He was almost like a second father to me.

When I got home that evening, my mother and father ran to the front door and wrapped their arms around me, which seemed a little odd to me. I asked them what I had done to make them so proud, and I still remember their answer to this very day. My father said “We just got a phone call from Cardiff City, and they’ve had an offer accepted by both clubs that co-own you, which means you now belong to them!”

My face lit up at my father’s words and I must have jumped about 2 feet in the air. I couldn’t believe it! Cardiff City wanted me to play for them! Apparently, they would pay for accommodation for my family while my parents looked for a permanent place to stay, so everything seemed perfect!

I, Marco Verratti, was on my way to Cardiff City!

Last edited:
good start

Thanks a lot, next update will come shortly, but I'd appreciate it if a few more people commented, giving me feedback and advice on how to improve my story :)

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Oay then, here comes another update, hopefully more people will comment on this one? Please? :p

Tuesday 1st September, 2009

I’ve been at Cardiff for 2 whole months now. After having a couple of weeks to settle in, Dave Jones told me how I’d impressed him in training, so he’d decided to give me a chance to prove my worth in the upcoming friendly matches. I was delighted when I heard the news, but I knew the pressure would be on to impress, as I couldn’t just rely on my training performances to win me a place in the first team, with the chance to play along players such as Craig Bellamy and Michael Chopra. A few weeks later and pre-season was over. I’d made an appearance in all six of Cardiff’s matches, and we ended up with 5 wins out of 6 under our belt, which really boosted our confidence. However, I knew that I could’ve played better, after failing to score and getting just one of my three shots on target, but Dave Jones seemed happy enough.

Then, the day came. Saturday 8th August, the start of the Championship season, and when I walked into the team room, I was delighted to hear my name called out on the team sheet. Mr Jones said we would be playing a 4-4-2 formation, so I would play as a central midfielder, and that was fine with me. Soon enough, the boss told us to get out there and give it our best. Derby County were a decent side, not to be underestimated. But then, it happened.

3 minutes into the match and I was loving it, taking every chance I could get to impress my new manager. Perhaps that’s what made me do it, because before I knew what was happening, I was flying into a tackle 2-footed, with my studs in the air. I heard the crunch and I knew it was bad news. I got up, and went to see if Robbie Savage was okay, offering my hand to him, only for him to slap it away. I knew I’d made a grave mistake, so I slowly turned around, only to see the referee reach into his pocket and hold up the red card. My teammates protested, but I knew it was the right decision, and I trudged along to the dugout, waiting for Dave to shout at me, but the shouting didn’t come. Instead, I was just told that it happens, and to keep my head up high, as I was in his long term plans for the team, but I’m still kicking myself for that early red card.

Luckily though, we still won the game 2-1! But today, it’s not going well, as Cardiff are sitting in 15th place, on 6 points after 5 games. We’re on a 3-game losing streak now, and I failed to make any impact in my return match against our biggest rivals, Swansea City as we lost 2-0 at our own ground. The fans were furious, but we knew we had been outplayed, and would need to step it up if we had a chance of challenging for the playoff place that was being predicted at the start of the season.

Last edited:
wow u been in england 2 months n u can speak that good english mus be good

Note: I'd really appreciate it if everyone who reads my updates can comment on them, preferably with something constructive to say, but if not, just a "Great start" or "I'm following" would be nice to hear :)

Doing well so far mate, KIU.

I have been reading, just not commenting, I get that a lot on my Toulouse story.

Doing well so far mate, KIU.

I have been reading, just not commenting, I get that a lot on my Toulouse story.

Thanks mate, and I'll try and take a look at your Toulouse story :)

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

Something went wrong a couple of minutes ago when I tried to update, so here it is again:

Thursday 1st October, 2009

September was an incredibly tough month for me, and I hope I can rectify any mistakes I may have made to be left out of the team with Dave Jones. I only got one appearance out of our 5 games last month, against Nottingham Forest, but what an appearance it was! I scored a goal for the side after a lovely backheel from Craig Bellamy set me up for a lovely placed finish. The rest of the game was average from me, but I think the fans had a great day out after the goals they saw. In the papers the next day, I went straight to the Sports section as always, to check my ratings, and when I saw the 7.5 by my name, I was delighted, as it was my highest rating so far! I just hope I can make it even higher! It’s just a shame we could only manage a 2-2 draw in the end, as we were definitely the better side, with far more promising chances. I know I am a young player at only 16 years of age, but I still think I deserve to be playing in a more regular first team place, especially after my most recent performance, and I say that without meaning to sound too arrogant.

It’s not only me that’s had a tough month though, as Cardiff have found themselves lying in only 20th place in the league. Not relegation candidates yet, but I’m starting to get a little nervous. We need to pull out some outstanding performances if we want to get back on track. It’s only early in the season though, or so Mr Jones keeps telling us! He has also constantly been telling me that he thinks I could have a great future at the club, making me very optimistic about my chances of securing a first team place if not this season, then next season. But in the long-term, I have to think about myself, and I’m hoping that after a couple of years playing here and gaining the necessary experience, I could possibly look to join a major team, in a major country. But that’s a long time away, so for now, I just have to focus on making myself as good as I can be!

My high point of the month though, was undoubtedly my debut for Italy Under-21s against Paraguay, in the World Cup Qualifying. I put in a solid performance, and helped us on our way to a confident 2-0 win. So far, of our 3 matches, we have won all of them without conceding a goal. I can only hope to keep impressing Marcello Lippi and maybe, one day, I could have a chance of breaking through into the senior team! But for now, that can only remain as a dream...

I like it but keep it more realistic...maybe plah him in the Reseves for a while as its unlikely he will make the first team straight away and always add some controversies or twists to keep the reader interested as rarely do people want to read the performances of your player in the matches...I will follow

I like it but keep it more realistic...maybe plah him in the Reseves for a while as its unlikely he will make the first team straight away and always add some controversies or twists to keep the reader interested as rarely do people want to read the performances of your player in the matches...I will follow

Thanks for the feedback Alcaraz, at the moment I'm just holidaying, seeing how Verratti is played, I think it will get more realistic in the next couple of updates! And I have a couple of ideas in mind for some twists, so keep reading to see what happens :)

Im following along too. Im looking forward to them twists now ;)

I'll follow this mate. It has been a really good start - I hope you plan to holiday for his whole career because that would be most interesting. Good luck, I'd hate to see this story stop early because of a lack of support as it is really well written.

Just one tip - try to add a bit more of his personal life into it

Keep it up

I'll follow this mate. It has been a really good start - I hope you plan to holiday for his whole career because that would be most interesting. Good luck, I'd hate to see this story stop early because of a lack of support as it is really well written.

Just one tip - try to add a bit more of his personal life into it

Keep it up

Thanks for the feedback mate, this is the kind of comment I like to read :) I am planning to holiday through his whole career, and then I will look to go into management as him if the story is still going :) I'll see what I can do about adding more of his personal life!

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Sunday 1st November, 2009

The last 4 weeks have been a bit of a rollercoaster ride for me. On the story of how Cardiff have been doing, I’m thrilled! In October, we played 5 matches, 3 of which we won, including a comfortable 4-0 win over Leeds. We also got one draw and one loss against Doncaster. We’re now sitting nicely in 12th in the league, looking much better than we were this time last month. The only problem is though, that I haven’t played in a single one of those matches. Dave Jones seems to want me to gain experience first by playing me in the Under-18s squad for a while, which is probably the right decision.

That brings me onto the first up point of my rollercoaster month! We had a home match against Swindon Under-18s quite early on in the month, and I was played in my usual position for Cardiff, as a central midfielder. Most games for the Under-18s, I’ve been subbed off about halfway into the match, but this match I played all 90 minutes, and I took advantage of that opportunity by scoring the only 2 goals of the match!

The boss was thrilled, and after the match, he came up to me and reminded me that it would be my birthday shortly, and as I would be turning 17, I would be eligible for a professional contract. He then went on to tell me that he thought I had great potential, and that if I wanted to, on my birthday, I could swap my £55 per week youth contract for a £775 per week professional contract! I still can’t believe it, what a birthday present this is going to be! I expected to be offered a new contract, but for this much money at my age? This was unbelievable! I said yes, thanked Mr Jones and got a lift home in a taxi so I could tell my parents, who were unsurprisingly thrilled!

But my happiness was to be short-lived, as just a couple of days later, in training, I got into a fight with Adam Matthews, a young Cardiff fullback. I don’t know what did it for me, but I’m pretty sure it had to do with the way he just dived into his tackles like he didn’t care about the consequences. I went and spoke to him, but he just hit me when I told him. He said “Shut up, Babyface, you’ll understand when you grow some!”
I stupidly retaliated, and ended up with a £1,000 fine for disorderly conduct. My contract offer was still there, but I had to beg my parents to help me pay the fine. I promised them that I’d pay them back when I got my professional contract, but they were still angry with me.

Anyway, I bet you’re all interested in how my International career is going! Well, I’ve got myself two more Under-21 caps (they call them that, even when it’s only the Under-20s I play for), but I’m not happy with how the manager has made me play. For one of the games, I had to play out on the left wing, and for the other, I was a centre-back. I played alright I guess, but I want to cement myself as a central midfielder or an attacking midfielder.

centre back? a bit random...nice update

Yeah I thought that when I saw it on his positions played screen, Italy U-20s must have been desperate :S

Anyways, the next update should be a good one, hopefully everyone'll like it, the first major twist in the tale!

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Friday 6th November, 2009

Well, I’ve got a lot to tell you since you last heard from me, just 5 days ago, and I can assure you that it’s a mixed bag of news. Very mixed. 3 days ago, Dave Jones came up to me after the training session, and told me that I’d been impressive, and because on Thursday it would be my birthday, he was going to let me play with the first team on Wednesday, and that I should think of it as an early birthday present. I was thrilled, and when the match started, I was eager to impress the boss. I played some great football, which included me getting the assist for Cardiff’s only goal, earning me an eventual post-match rating of 7.3, according to the papers. My first team appearance was great news, but I was still looking forward to my birthday the next day, just like a kid!

The next morning, I woke up at 8am, which was pretty early for me! I walked downstairs, but when I got to the bottom, to my great surprise, the lights came on and a huge shout of “Surprise!” rang around the room. I looked around, only to see my family, friends, teammates and manager standing in the room. I was astonished! I told them to hang on a minute while I went to put on my clothes before the lads started taking pictures of my Bugs Bunny pyjamas. When I got down, I started opening my presents. My friend Josh had got me some new football boots; they looked great! The Cardiff boys (minus Adam Matthews, the one I got into a fight with, as he hadn’t shown up...) had got me a voucher, how thoughtful, especially when it was for getting my car “spiced up”, and I didn’t even have a car! Or so I thought, until my parents told me to look outside, where a beautiful jet black Audi A3 was waiting for me! It wasn’t the best car, but to learn in, it would be great! I was ecstatic!

That was, until everyone was gone and I turned on the TV to see what was happening around the world. The main headline shocked me:
“Cardiff player found dead in park”
I couldn’t believe my eyes. I turned up the volume, only to find that it was Adam Matthews! I was shocked, I may not have liked the guy but I would never wish this upon him! But the worst was still to come. As the article went on, it said that he had been found early in the morning by a jogger, hung from a tree, with a baby doll tied to his face. Not only that, but on the tree trunk behind his body, the police had read the words “Who’s the Babyface now?” painted in blood. Everyone that followed Cardiff knew that Babyface was my nickname ever since Adam had called me by it back on the day we fought! It was becoming clear to me, that someone wanted me in jail. Someone with a grudge, but I could think of no-one, except for one person.

That person though, was hanging from a tree in a park, with a doll tied to his face.

Hope you liked that update guys, please comment :) That'll be the last one for today probably, and it's back to school tomorrow so I'll probably only be doing daily updates in future :)

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 05:10 PM ----------

Saturday 7th November, 2009

I can honestly say that these last 24 hours have been very eventful. Shortly after I gave my last update, there was a knock on the front door, and unsurprisingly, it was the police. My parents had heard what had happened and fully supported me, as they knew that I wasn’t capable of something like this, and I’d been with them for the whole night anyway. Anyway, I willingly went into the station with the police officers, and they asked me a few questions. I was the prime suspect, that much was obvious, but the police had no real evidence, other than motive. I gave them a sample of my DNA so that they could run it against that found at the crime scene, and as expected, or by me anyway; it didn’t come back as a match. After answering more questions, the police started to believe me, and the fact that I had an alibi as well made the final outcome obvious. They let me go, but told me that there was someone that wanted to see me in jail, and offered me protection, but I declined, as I knew that if this person wanted me dead, I would be by now.

When I got home after being picked up by my mum and dad, they set about phoning everyone that I knew, so that everyone would know that I wasn’t guilty. They phoned Dave Jones, my cousin Francesco, my half-brother Giancarlo and everyone else who meant something to our family. I was pleased that I’d been cleared, and was happy that everyone now knew I was innocent, as now I wouldn’t have everyone looking at me with that obvious look of disgust on their faces.

Anyway, we’ve got a match later today and I want to go and watch! Dave Jones couldn’t pick me for obvious reasons, but I still wanted to see how the boys got on, cheering them from the stands. We seriously need some wins, as a team like ours with the big names like Craig Bellamy should be getting those results. Early in the season, I keep telling myself. Early in the season.

Last edited:
Where did you get these Italian names?

XD

Nice update.

Wow great update really sucked me into the story, i have read other storys and they failed to grab my attention but this did! Love the drama of the murder in the park! Good luck!!!

Wow great update really sucked me into the story, i have read other storys and they failed to grab my attention but this did! Love the drama of the murder in the park! Good luck!!!

Thanks a lot, that's a great comments, means a lot reading things like that! I hope you don't mind that I quoted that in my signature, edited it down a bit so that it didn't have plot spoilers and was more general, hope that's okay!

And @The Shots: I just thought of Italian footballers and took their names, maybe making slight changes like Giancarlo instead of Gianluigi (Buffon) :)