Road To The World Cup: A 6 Tier Challenge

Nomadic

Reaction score
I originally started a very similar thread a few months ago and incorporated the Capital Challenge, but didn't really get anywhere with it. However, I have now decided to retry this challenge, just without the Capital City part.

View attachment 150001

Meet Manu Samoa, a young Samoan whose dream is to lift the World Cup. Unfortunately, being an Islander in Samoa, where the national sport is rugby he has had little to no opportunities to kick start his career. It also doesn't help that he is 6'11" and weighs 23 stone!

View attachment 150016

Having given up on his dreams to become a professional player, he has decided to turn his attention to managing. However, as we all know starting a career in managing with no experience or qualifications is virtually impossible. So he has come up with a 6 stage plan, to work his way up the footballing ladder and eventually get his hands on that illustrious World Cup Trophy.

The Challenge

I will be starting the game unemployed, with no coaching qualifications (as you can see above) and to make the challenge slightly more difficult/diverse i will have to progress 'block-by-block' and am only allowed to move up a block each time i have won the top domestic division and cup from one of the Nations in the previous block.

BLOCK ONE: India, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia

BLOCK TWO: Ireland, Finland, Peru, South Africa, Australia and China

BLOCK THREE: Austria, Scotland, Sweden, USA, Argentina and South Korea

BLOCK FOUR: Portugal, Turkey, Holland, Mexico and Brazil

BLOCK FIVE: England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France

BLOCK SIX: National Side

So for example, before i can take a job in South Africa I must first conquer India, Hong Kong, Singapore OR Malaysia first. As i progress through each block the level of football should increase, allowing me to improve my reputation and qualifications.

Rules:

- If i get sacked by a club from a country, that Nation becomes locked and have to find a job in another Nation in that same block

- I do not need to win the League and Cup in the same year, it is cumulative but must be in same Nation.

- If i get offered a job that pays more money in the same block, i must accept it.

- Only time I can apply for jobs is when i am moving up a block or been sacked

Hopefully it all makes sense and hope you all enjoy the story :)

16th September 2015 - The Start Of My Journey

Somehow I managed to receive 2 very quick job offers from Perak (Malaysian Super League) and ATM (Malaysian Premier League) but unfortunately they decided to go down the route of a more experienced manager.

Then on the 12th September Tampines (Singaporean League)offered me a job interview, before approaching me for the job 4 days later!

View attachment 149946
View attachment 149950

This is quite possibly the best team I could have hoped for, in completing Tier 1. As Tampines are one of the strongest sides in Singapore and were even predicted to finish top of the table come the end of the season.

Unfortunately things haven't really gone to plan for them this season, as they find themselves lingering in 5th place, which I guess is why they decided to take a punt on a completely unknown manager!

View attachment 149949
View attachment 149948

With only 6 games left in the season and 8 points adrift from Home Utd at the top, it is unlikely I will be make up the difference this season to win the League. However, I am perfectly set to mount a challenge for the domestic double next season, especially when I look at my current squad.

View attachment 149947

4 best players:

View attachment 149945

Jermaine Pennant: The ex Arsenal and Liverpool winger is undoubtably the best player in the squad and at the age of 32, still has a few quality years left in the tank. I will be looking to utilise him to full effect down the right wing and am confident he can help me achieve my first ever football trophy.

View attachment 149944

Rodrigo Tosi: The Italian attacking midfielder has played all over the world for a number of unrecognisable teams but still has the ability to be one of the best players in the league.

View attachment 149943

Igor Cerina: A Croatian full back with excellent physical attributes for this level. He will primarily play down the right and could form a formidable partnership with Pennant.

View attachment 149942

Predrag Pocuca: An aggressive Serbian central defender, who will hopefully boss the penalty area and limit the oppositions goalscoring opportunities.

View attachment 149893

September 2015

View attachment 149892
View attachment 149891

I arrived at Tampines, following their 2-2 draw with leaders Home Utd and have managed to round off the month with 2 wins out of 2. We are now only 4 points adrift of Home Utd and DPMM at the top, although they have still got a game in hand on us. With only 4 games left, the best we can hope for is probably going to be 3rd place.

View attachment 149889

Tampines agreed to fund my National C Coaching licence straight away, as I look to build up my employability to higher reputation teams in the future.

View attachment 149890

Just 2 games to play in October and will be expecting another 2 wins.

View attachment 149826

October

View attachment 149829
View attachment 149828

Another unbeaten month sees us close the gap to 5 points, with 2 games remaining. Our next match is against leaders, DPMM and a victory could see us get within 2 points going into the final game, so we are still in with a very slim shot at the title. A lot will need to go our way in the final 2 games, but with football being so unpredictable, you cant rule anything out.

Our final 2 matches of the season...

View attachment 149827

View attachment 149782

November 2015

View attachment 149781
View attachment 149780

Despite beating DPMM in our head to head clash, they comfortably managed to beat, Nigata Unicorn on the final day to secure the title. Since being appointed manager I have managed to win all 6 matches, as we pushed them right to the end. Had I been appointed sooner, perhaps we could have won the title who knows...

View attachment 149779

Our final push at the end, secured us second place and a Champions league spot to go with it. I don't know much/anything about the Asian Champions League but believe we have entered at the qualifying stages.

The 6 consecutive wins since taking over is also a new Tampines record!

View attachment 149778
View attachment 149777

View attachment 149625

Season Preview 2016

View attachment 149624
View attachment 149623

The board are expecting us to achieve my own personal objectives and win both the League and the Singapore Cup. This is the perfect opportunity for me to complete Tier 1 in my first whole season as manager. However, should i fail to win the double, my job might be in jeopardy for next season.

View attachment 149621

I have only made a handful of transfers due to the foreign player limit (4) and small pool of decent Singaporean players. It isn't really wort showing their profiles, as none of them really look to be that special.

View attachment 149622

So we have entered the Champions League at the earliest possible stage and have to go through a number of preliminary rounds to qualify for the proper competition.

Although winning the Champions League is not one of my objectives, it is the highest profiled competition and success could really boost my reputation.

Great start! That form over a full season should see you right.

Thanks man! Tampines are pretty dominant in the League, so am confident of replicating the same form this season and hopefully win the double!

View attachment 149572

Champions League Preliminary Rounds

View attachment 149574

We managed to battle through a very tough 1st preliminary round, beating the Indian Champions, Mohun Bagan 3-2. Our veteran striker, Shah came off the bench to score the winner in extra time despite being down to 10 men.

View attachment 149570

Another red card made life very difficult for us in the 2nd preliminary round against Muangthong Utd, and were forced into extra time by a last second equaliser. Fortunately we managed to keep our composure in the shoot-out and advance to the playoff.

View attachment 149568

We proved to be no match for FC Seoul, as they comfortably brushed us aside in the Champions League Playoff. We were barely given a chance going into the game so a 2-0 loss wasn't actually too bad.

View attachment 149567

Despite being knocked out of the Champions League, we have ended up in the Asian Confederations Cup.

View attachment 149566

View attachment 149417

February 2016

View attachment 149416
View attachment 149415
View attachment 149414

Following our elimination from the Champions League, we started our domestic campaign off with a couple of straightforward victories, before flying out to North Korea to play, Kigwancha in the confederations cup. Although we got the win, the travelling seemed to have a big effect on the players, as we failed to turn up for our next game against Home Utd and were easily beaten at home.

Still along way to go in the season, but I wasn't expecting to lose a domestic game this early in the campaign!

View attachment 149413

We have been drawn drawn a very simple game for our Singapore Cup preliminary round and should progress without any difficulties.

March is set to be another busy month, with 6 games in it and will be expecting to be sat near the top come the start of April!

View attachment 149412

View attachment 149185

March

View attachment 149184
View attachment 149183
View attachment 149181
View attachment 149182

It was another disappointing end to the month as we were again beaten in the league, this time away to Balestier. However, we are still in 2nd place and have a game in hand on the rest of the table. We are also going well in the Confederations Cup, sitting 3 points clear at the halfway stage and feel as though one more win should secure us a top 2 finish.

Although the results are going pretty well, I don't feel we are playing to the same standard as the end of last season and is a real struggle to see out each game.

View attachment 149180
View attachment 149179

One of the month's main highlights was the completion of my first coaching qualification! I can already see the development in my coaching attributes and will surely improve my employability. Unfortunately, the club refused to immediately fund my National B licence, so will have to hold tight a while.

View attachment 149178

Some big games to look forward to in April, but am really going to have to focus my intentions on the league over the Confederations Cup, which may require resting a few players.

View attachment 148916

April 2016

View attachment 148915
View attachment 148914
View attachment 148913
View attachment 148912

A perfect month on the domestic front, combined with a couple of slip ups from Warriors, means that we are now 4 points clear at the top, with a game in hand. The team have finally started to click, and found that form at the tail end of last season. We have also secured a place in the next round of the Confederations Cup, but after a defeat to Mohun Bagan we will need all 3 points in our remaining game to secure top place.

New South Korean signing, Lee Jin-Seuk has been in inspired form this month, scoring 8 goals in 6 matches across all competitions. This has subsequently earned him the Singaporean player of the month award.

View attachment 148911

A much quieter May, sees us kick off our Singaporean Cup campaign, which is the trophy I am aiming to win alongside the League. We will also be looking to secure a top spot in the Confederations Group Stage, whilst widening our lead in the League.

View attachment 148910