Roberto Martinez: The Stylish Spaniard

ZeCarlos

Reaction score
View attachment 448096
June 2013
Everton appoint Martinez

View attachment 448092
Everton have appointed Wigan Athletic boss Roberto Martinez as their new manager on a four-year contract. The 39-year-old Spaniard won the FA Cup at Wigan last season, but asked to leave the DW Stadium after failing to keep them in the Premier League. He succeeds David Moyes, who takes over from Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United after 11 years at Goodison Park. Martinez made 180 appearances as a player for Wigan between 1995 and 2001 before returning as manager eight years later. Under him, Wigan finished 16th twice and in 15th place before slipping to relegation last season.

Wigan Athletic released an official statement which read: "Roberto's influence at the club, both as a player and manager, an association that spanned over a decade, will remain unforgettable to all Latics' fans. The club would like to place on record its appreciation for his tireless work during that time, culminating in FA Cup glory last month at Wembley Stadium."

In June 2011, Martinez was a target for Aston Villa but opted to stay at the DW Stadium before being strongly linked with the Liverpool job last summer. Martinez, who was hired by Wigan after taking Swansea City from League One to the Championship, announced last month that he would leave the Latics after four years at the helm. Whelan said on Monday that he had agreed a deal with his Everton counterpart Bill Kenwright to allow the under-contract Martinez to leave. The Spaniard takes charge of an Everton team which recently finished sixth in the Premier League; The Toffees having secured a top-eight finish in each of their last seven campaigns.

Following his appointment, Martinez said: "It is a really special day for me to join Everton Football Club, I am excited and honoured to come here and I would like to thank the Chairman and the board of directors for handing me this opportunity. I cannot wait to soak myself in all things Everton and become part of this Club. The move here came in a natural way. I had a phenomenal time at Wigan but it was the right time to move on. It felt right to join Everton. There is huge pressure after what David has done here. But I am proud of that pressure. What he has done has set a really high standard. I want to play a winning style of football. It is important the team doesn't lose what it did so well last season, only to keep improving.

Side note: Much of the OP has been copied directly from news articles which can be found online - I've slightly edited the text here and there so all credit goes to the original editors. Also, I disabled first window transfers in order to make it realistic in terms of squads until January. Thanks for reading and leave a thumps up/comment if you enjoy!

Yes, he's back. Look forward to more mate. Good luck. (H)

View attachment 448073
July/August 2013
Martinez Impressed

View attachment 448069

Friendly | Mestsky Stadion
Saturday 13th July 2013
Mlada Boleslav 3-4 Everton
(Romelu Lukaku, John Heitinga, Phil Jagielka, Nikica Jelavic)

Friendly | Turf Moor
Tuesday 23rd July 2013
Burnley 0-3 Everton
(Apostolos Vellios, Arouna Kone x2)

Friendly | Yud-Alef Stadium
Saturday 27th July 2013
S.C. Ashdod 1-4 Everton
(Darron Gibson, Romelu Lukaku x3)

Friendly | Haig Avenue
Saturday 3rd August 2013
Southport 0-3 Everton
(OG, Arouna Kone x2)

Friendly | Goodison Park
Wednesday 7th Augsut 2013
Everton 3-0 Mallorca
(Apostolos Vellios, Phil Jagielka, Bryan Oviedo)

Managers Review:

"Overall I'm very happy with pre-season; we've won all five games against some good opposition and I've learned a lot about my team. I was able to let some of the lads play who may not have been mentioned in and around the team before and they put a good account of themselves in - I don't think I can really say I was disappointed with anybody over pre-season which is always a good sign. We've got plenty of options for the season and the team were impressive when asked to implement our new tactics. It's been a good learning curve for everybody involved and I'm confident for the season ahead that we can pick up some good results and hopefully maintain a good league standing."

View attachment 448005
August 2013
Unbeaten start for Everton

View attachment 448004

Barclays Premier League | Goodison Park
Saturday 17th August 2013
Everton 3-0 Norwich City
(Steven Pienaar, Sylvain Distin, Kevin Mirallas)

Wednesday 21st August 2013
Everton 2-2 Chelsea
(Phil Jagielka, Arouna Kone)

Barclays Premier League | The Hawthorns
Saturday 24th August 2013
West Bromwich Albion 1-1 Everton
(Romelu Lukaku)

Capital One Cup Second Round | Goodison Park
Tuesday 27th August 2013
Everton 3-1 Fleetwood Town
(Gerard Deulofeu, Gareth Barry, Steven Naismith)

Managers Opinion:

"We've had a very positive start to the season, picking up 5 points from 3 good teams and progressing in the Capital One Cup. The opening day was magnificent - to beat a team of Norwich's quality 3-0 is fantastic and then the team impressed me against Chelsea because we came back from being 0-2 down at half-time to earn a point and I think we fully deserved that to be honest. The performances have been of top quality - maybe we haven't taken one or two chances here and there but we're still improving and I'm hoping we can continue progressing in the same manner. In the month ahead we face tough trips to Southampton and Tottenham as well as a cup game against Brighton so I'm looking forward to seeing how my team can handle pressure and react to being put in some tough positions."

Barclays Premier League Table:

View attachment 447999

View attachment 447980
September 2013
Defeat at Spurs

View attachment 447979

Barclays Premier League | St. Mary's Stadium
Sunday 15th September 2013
Southampton 1-1 Everton
(Darron Gibson)

Barclays Premier League | White Hart Lane
Sunday 22nd September 2013
Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Everton

Capital One Cup Third Round | Goodison Park
Wednesday 25th September 2013
Everton 2-0 Brighton and Hove Albion
(Nikica Jelavic x2)

Sunday 29th September 2013
Everton 1-0 Sunderland
(Nikica Jelavic)

Managers Opinion:

"September hasn't been the best month for us - we got off to a bad start at Southampton. We went to the St. Mary's expecting a tough game and in all fairness, we dominated which wasn't really expected - but we did nonetheless; so to come home having scored only 1 goal and earning 1 point wasn't the best day at work but in perspective of a normal day, a point at Southampton is a good result. To go to Spurs and play as well as we did was a real positive for myself as the staff as all our hard work was shown on the pitch - but yet again we failed to convert our chances and this time came out losers so we were bitterly disappointed. The lads picked themselves up though, with all due credit, with great wins against Brighton and Sunderland to end the month on a positive - hopefully we can take this form into the month ahead and pick up points."

View attachment 447978

View attachment 447825
October 2013
Cup Progression

View attachment 447824

Barclays Premier League Matchday 7 | Etihad Stadium
Monday 7th October 2013
Manchester City 1-0 Everton

Barclays Premier League Matchday 8 | Goodison Park
Monday 21st October 2013
Everton 3-1 West Ham United
(Gerard Deulofeu, Sylvain Distin, Steven Pienaar)

Barclays Premier League Matchday 9 | Goodison Park
Saturday 26th October 2013
Everton 4-1 Cardiff City
(Romelu Lukaku x2, Arouna Kone, Apostolos Vellios)

Capital One Cup Fourth Round | Goodison Park
Tuesday 29th October 2013
Everton 1-0 West Bromwich Albion
(Nikica Jelavic)

Managers Opinion:

"We've had quite a good month aside from the game at City. The lads put another good effort in at the Etihad and sadly came out losers but I can't really complain because the performance was there - for sure and I think that's proven by the other results of the month; solid wins against West Ham and Cardiff consolidate our position near the top of the table and to progress in the Capital One Cup is a great thing for the club; silverware is long overdue. Overall, it's been another positive month and we can only hope to continue with the great performances - in terms of the way we play we've matched every team in the division so far; myself and the staff are very positive about the future."

View attachment 447823

View attachment 447822
November 2013
Mixed month for Martinez

View attachment 447821

Barclays Premier League Matchday 10 | Selhurst Park
Saturday 2nd November 2013
Crystal Palace 0-3 Everton
(Sylvain Distin, Romelu Lukaku, Steven Pienaar)

Barclays Premier League Matchday 11 | KC Stadium
Saturday 9th November 2013
Hull City 3-4 Everton
(Nikica Jelavic x2, Romelu Lukaku, Phil Jagielka)

Barclays Premier League Matchday 12 | Craven Cottage
Sunday 24th November 2013
Fulham 2-1 Everton
(Nikica Jelavic)

Barclays Premier League Matchday 13 | Goodison Park
Saturday 30th November 2013
Everton 2-2 Aston Villa
(Nikica Jelavic x2)

Managers Opinion:

"I can't help but feel we've been a little unlucky this month - 7 points out of a possible 12 isn't a bad thing in any shape or form, but to lose at Fulham to a 96th minute goal and then be 0-2 down to Aston Villa after 7 minutes wasn't great for us. To their credit, the lads did fantastically against Villa because they could've let their heads drop and suffered a heavy loss but they battled for the whole game and gained a well earned point so I'm proud of that. We've got a long month ahead, including the Merseyside Derby, so it's only going to get tougher - I'm sure the players will step up when needed so I'm looking forward to the atmosphere of the Derby as well as the games against Manchester United and Arsenal."

View attachment 447820

I'm a Liverpool fan but im loving this mate, honest results and no suspect of cheating, most people would have Played 13 and "Won 13" Keep it up :)

View attachment 447739
December 2013
Toffees topple Liverpool

View attachment 447735

Barclays Premier League Matchday 14 | Goodison Park
Tuesday 3rd December 2013
Everton 2-0 Liverpool
(Phil Jagielka, Steven Pienaar)

Barclays Premier League Matchday 15 | Emirates Stadium
Saturday 7th December 2013
Arsenal 2-1 Everton
(Nikica Jelavic)

Barclays Premier League Matchday 16 | Old Trafford
Saturday 14th December 2013
Manchester United 1-1 Everton
(Nikica Jelavic)

Capital One Cup Quarter Final | Goodison Park
Tuesday 17th December 2013
Everton 4-1 Arsenal
(Steven Pienaar, Romelu Lukaku x2, Nikica Jelavic)

Barclays Premier League Matchday 17 | Goodison Park
Saturday 21st December 2013
Everton 2-0 Newcastle United
(Romelu Lukaku, Nikica Jelavic)

Barclays Premier League Matchday 18 | Goodison Park
Thursday 26th December 2013
Everton 2-1 Stoke City
(Romelu Lukaku, Nikica Jelavic)

Barclays Premier League Matchday 19 | Liberty Stadium
Saturday 28th December 2013
Swansea City 0-0 Everton

Managers Opinion:

"I'm very happy with the team this month - we've been defeated once by Arsenal but aside from the trip to the Emirates, it's been a very positive month. Firstly we won the derby before securing victories over strong opposition in Newcastle and Stoke as well as progressing in the cup against Arsenal. The all round team performances have been right out of the top drawer and we're starting to see some excellent individual performances from key men like Romelu (Lukaku), Nikica (Jelavic), Sylvain (Distin) and Steven (Pienaar) so we're finally near our best. I still think there's a little room for improvement because we've proven we can challenge the top, top teams but I can't ask for anything more at this point because we are improving game by game."

View attachment 447688

View attachment 447658
January 2014
Six In; Eight Out

View attachment 447657
In

PlayerClubFee (Pounds)
Ryan BertrandChelsea4,000,000
Pablo PiattiValencia3,500,000
Eduardo VargasNapoli1,700,000
Julian SchusterFreiburg1,200,000
AlvaroZaragoza5,000,000
Simone PepeJuventusLoan

Out

PlayerClubFee (Pounds)
Darron GibsonSouthampton8,000,000
Tony HibbertHull City31,500
Leighton BainesArsenal30,000,000
Ross BarkleyCelticLoan
Antolin AlcarazPAOK800,000
John HeitingaCataniaFree
Kevin MirallasZenit13,000,000
Apostolos VelliosHannover700,000

Really enjoying mate, just feel it lacks a little colour. :)

Cheers! I've been trying to think of ways to lighten up the posts a little - I couldn't really find a font I liked apart from the one I'm using; and then to complicate matters I think the bold of this font looks horrible so I can't bold things either - I understand it all looks the same and needs brightening up but at this moment in time, I'm struggling to find ways of doing that. Any ideas?:p

Oh boy, I think you might have committed save suicide with those transfers. Hope for the bosmans, tho

Oh boy, I think you might have committed save suicide with those transfers. Hope for the bosmans, tho

I'm puzzled as well. Barkley on loan, selling Baines for funding other transfers is alright though, but I think we can't really know because it also depends on his tactics.

And to OP, how are you using Lukaku? He's beast for me, can win games second handedly, best as Target Man (support). He has high Team work too. And you may need Mitrovic to replace him when his loan finishes. :p

Some great signings!! I can understand cashing in on Baines whilst u could and Bertrand's a good replacement !! Been trying to sign Barkley myself how do u find him on fm14

Some great signings!! I can understand cashing in on Baines whilst u could and Bertrand's a good replacement !! Been trying to sign Barkley myself how do u find him on fm14

What do you mean by "How do you find him on FM14?" Barkley is in Everton Already. o_O

Agree on Bertrand, He may not have any impressive stats or PA stars, but he's consistent performer, even for Chelsea at CL level, for me.

What do you mean by "How do you find him on FM14?" Barkley is in Everton Already. o_O

Agree on Bertrand, He may not have any impressive stats or PA stars, but he's consistent performer, even for Chelsea at CL level, for me.

I mean how does he play lol